• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
The drought is really starting to bother me

I know it's just 8 weeks left but man do I want to expand my knowledge of the game

It would've probably been way easier if we didn't have all these theories and leaks
This is first cycle that I've grown bloated and tired of leaks, leak channels, news channels, and Miyamoto.

This bites a big fat one. Where's Mother 3D? Put it on the fake/real N64 mini.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This is first cycle that I've grown bloated and tired of leaks, leak channels, news channels, and Miyamoto.

This bites a big fat one. Where's Mother 3D? Put it on the fake/real N64 mini.
Whaaat did Miyamoto ever do? :upsidedown: But I agree--fake leaks were fun. But so far they've been mostly garbage, and theorizing, while fun at the beginning, has made the uncertainty regarding what's left to create more anxiety rather than being a silly thing to pass the time.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Whaaat did Miyamoto ever do? :upsidedown: But I agree--fake leaks were fun. But so far they've been mostly garbage, and theorizing, while fun at the beginning, has made the uncertainty regarding what's left to create more anxiety rather than being a silly thing to pass the time.
The Springman one was the best fake Smash leak period for the amount of work put in. Everything else is terrible.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
The Springman one was the best fake Smash leak period for the amount of work put in. Everything else is terrible.
except for Vergeben, he's also a careful leaker as he didn't reveal the Square Enix character also Smash 4 leaks were good i mean an example which most (or everyone) would know is ArtsyOmni's Rayman leak

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Spring Man was better than Rayman not because of the quality, but because Spring Man wasn't made as a publicity stunt for a YouTube series.

:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wait, what. How. The Death Note does not allow its wielder to possess people.
I mean...it KINDA can. Because you can write the circumstances of a person death in it like, "Mary went home and hung herself." and they'll just go and do that.

So it's possible for him to be, like, "Goku kills Naruto and then dies from his injuries."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rayman was the last good fake leak because everyone after that tried to copy Artsy Omni and came out saying "I made this obvious fake Smash leak" as if it was something to be proud of. Back in my days these fake image leaks would just fall into obscurity and into the leaks record but now everyone wants to try to cash in the same way Artsy Omni did but without actually putting in any effort.

D

Deleted member

Well you joke but.... *cough*
His gimmick didn't work on me. I've never watch a single episode of Smashified. Smashified Isaac still looks terrible IMO, and not just because he's not bearded.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I mean...it KINDA can. Because you can write the circumstances of a person death in it like. "Mary went home and hung herself." and they'll just go and do that.

So it's possible for him to be, like, "Goku kills Naruto and then dies from his injuries."
and then goku doesn't die because light didn't write kakarott

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
except for Vergeben, he's also a careful leaker as he didn't reveal the Square Enix character also Smash 4 leaks were good i mean an example which most (or everyone) would know is ArtsyOmni's Rayman leak
I distinguish rumors from leaks--Verge gives rumors, and so far has been 100% accurate (on Smash... at least we got the accurate, if an asshole, Vergeben). So far, we haven't had any leaks (outside of possibly Ken). So far, outside of the Springman fake leak, none of the fake leaks have been at such a high quality. They're just blurry, cropped mess with terrible renders. Which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it--mostly boring, though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I love how we can separate Ultimate's speculation periods by Xenoblade.

March 2018: "Rex and Pyra are the most likely newcomers."
April 2018 - June 2018: "Rex and Pyra were too late. Elma is extremely likely."
July 2018 - October 2018: "LOL Xenoblade ain't getting nothin' in Smash."
I mean, to be fair, a lot of the Xenoblade discussion was before Sakurai admitted he was using the ballot for the roster, which meant our perception had to adjust. But no, there will be some Xenoblade content from the newer titles in the base game. It'll just be trophies, music and maybe a stage at most.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Miyamoto is an old, senile hack who turns everything he touches nowadays to garbage. Yes I am still mad over Paper Mario.

Graizen

Smash Champion
The Isaac leak its realy good.
People are trying tô prove it as fake, but can't.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
If there is any indie rep that should get in before any other, it’s Quote.
He’s the OG. I’d say he has a somewhat decent chance to be DLC as well. Same with Shantae and Shovel Knight (yes, I still maintain that we’re going to get ATs upgraded to playable status for DLC. Sakurai will find a way).
I don't understand how Quote can be the "OG" when his first game came out in 2004 and was ported to Wii in 2010, while the first Shantae game was released (on Gameboy Color) in 2002.

Pakky

Smash Hero
His gimmick didn't work on me. I've never watch a single episode of Smashified. Smashified Isaac still looks terrible IMO, and not just because he's not bearded.
Strange how someone gets salty over a leak that's better than his but can't even properly analyze it. When here comes me someone with a background in 3D can tell what most of what the guy did in like 5 seconds. But I was wrong cuz I'm not a hack that makes a channel with mostly sub par renders and questionable art decisions. No gold belly on K Rool? Get out... Use a gradient map chump.

I mean... yeah the vids are good. Didn't say anything against such a great channel with such good renditions... *cough*

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Astroboy is iconic but calling him the most iconic of all time is a massive stretch
Osamu Tezuka is literally known as the "God of Manga". No, it's really not. Is Goku far more popular? Yes. But not even he reaches Astro Boy's heights in icon status. He's the face of the origin of manga.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Osamu Tezuka is literally known as the "God of Manga". No, it's really not. Is Goku far more popular? Yes. But not even he reaches Astro Boy's heights in icon status. He's the face of the origin of manga.
“Goku is more popular”
“Astroboy is a much bigger icon”

What? I’m not sure if you know what an icon is. And icon isn’t just someone who is historically important, they have to be popular and none to everyone as a symbol of what they represent.

Mario isn’t an icon just because he saved the industry. He’s also an icon because anyone can look at him and say “Oh look, the Nintendo video game man.”

Snow White is arguably more important than Mickey Mouse as the start first feature-length animated film, but Mickey Mouse is still more iconic. I know that’s not too fair of a comparison because Mickey did come first, but still.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Even then, I still hear that people think that one is apparently garbage and "low-effort".

“Goku is more popular”
“Astroboy is a much bigger icon”

What? I’m not sure if you know what an icon is. And icon isn’t just someone who is historically important, they have to be popular and none to everyone as a symbol of what they represent.

Mario isn’t an icon just because he saved the industry. He’s also an icon because anyone can look at him and say “Oh look, the Nintendo video game man.”

Snow White is arguably more important than Mickey Mouse as the start first feature-length animated film, but Mickey Mouse is still more iconic. I know that’s not too fair of a comparison because Mickey did come first, but still.
I know what an icon is, maybe the better word is influential? I seriously doubt Shonen, or Akira Toriyama's art would even be a thing without that character. Goku is totally right up there, but Astro Boy literally turned Japan on it's head back in the day. He's the character that birthed manga, and anime for that matter. I totally get what you're saying with Mickey Mouse and Snow White, but that's really not a fair comparison. I think people who aren't from Japan underestimate how iconic he is because just he's such an old character and because of the fact that he isn't being used much currently.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I went and looked at PushDustin's tweet about the Isaac leak and I don't think I agree with his decision that it's fake. He says it's a fan made symbol based on the logo for Dark Dawn, but it's possible that a fan just had a similar idea. And the fact that it's from Dark Dawn rather than the original may just be because it has a better look to it.

I'm not saying it's real, I'm just saying I think we need better "proof" of it being fake. I actually got "Shulk is photoshopped Little Mac" vibes while reading the tweet at first.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I went and looked at PushDustin's tweet about the Isaac leak and I don't think I agree with his decision that it's fake. He says it's a fan made symbol based on the logo for Dark Dawn, but it's possible that a fan just had a similar idea. And the fact that it's from Dark Dawn rather than the original may just be because it has a better look to it.

I'm not saying it's real, I'm just saying I think we need better "proof" of it being fake. I actually got "Shulk is photoshopped Little Mac" vibes while reading the tweet at first.
Which begs the question: has anyone found the Isaac render used in the leak?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Spring Man was better than Rayman not because of the quality, but because Spring Man wasn't made as a publicity stunt for a YouTube series.

:4pacman:
I still think the Ken leak on Moray Towers is fake, and if it is, its probably the best looking fake I've seen.
I'm positive Ken is in the game, but I think that image is fake, similar to how we got that very believable Palutena leak for Smash 3DS.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
For me, it's fake under two conditions:

• That's not how the website works. Probably only a few people work on updating the website. If a picture leaks, Nintendo will know who it is and they could lose their job.
  • This leak being true is assuming that Isaac and Geno will both be revealed with no Ken (you can tell there is no room for him). Ken is basically a lock at this point. In the wise words of Vergeben, "Trash it. It doesn't have Ken".

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Let's not forget the idea that anyone can mess with the design of the website and 'easily' make it look good.

Someone proved it by adding KOS-MOS on there not long ago.

You can find that on the KOS-MOS support thread and here several pages back.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There's a real possibility Verg. saw the same Ken image we did.

In fact, it's another possibility his list is based on the very same box we've all seen + Square Enix.

D

Deleted member

I still think the Ken leak on Moray Towers is fake, and if it is, its probably the best looking fake I've seen.
I'm positive Ken is in the game, but I think that image is fake, similar to how we got that very believable Palutena leak for Smash 3DS.
Yeah, if the Ken image turns out to be a hoax, then that's the best fake, hands down.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Yeah, that's terrible reasoning for calling it fake. There are other better reasons--the black space below the character slots, and I'm sure those with better eye for 3D models can critique the design, as some have said it looks more painted than a 3D model (EDIT: also forgot the no Ken). But PushDustin is in the camp of "not many characters", so their bias shows in every analysis they have, including the comparison between the Box and CoroCoro. That doesn't mean they're wrong--but pessimism is also a bias we should be aware of, just as being optimistic is. We all have biases, and they're impossible to remove completely--so it's less a criticism of an individual as it is an acknowledgment of biases we all have (including me).

Which begs the question: has anyone found the Isaac render used in the leak?
While it may have a model it drew inspiration from, it reminds me of the Agnes ones--painted variations from multiple sources. So we may not know until they fess up.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The only reason I'm touting it as fake is because they aren't showing Geno's render.

I don't care how "shaky cam/had to take this quick" you are, if you're leaking something you have no reason not to take a picture of both. I take it only as "I only had time to make this Issac render look believeable, not gonna bother with Geno".

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I am willing to believe that leak if it includes Skull Kid.
Because I think the "sun, moon and the stars" motif would be dope.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Miyamoto is an old, senile hack who turns everything he touches nowadays to garbage. Yes I am still mad over Paper Mario.
Old, yes, Senile, maybe, a hack? No... never, just stubborn and salty.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The only reason I'm touting it as fake is because they aren't showing Geno's render.

I don't care how "shaky cam/had to take this quick" you are, if you're leaking something you have no reason not to take a picture of both. I take it only as "I only had time to make this Issac render look believeable, not gonna bother with Geno".
I think the reasoning is sound--they only want to give "hints". But that's a terrible "hint" as it's obvious what's going on. It also goes to how I'm not a fan of "hinty leakers". Either they think the information is important to get out there beforehand, or they don't and they should shut up completely.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I want some sound leaks... Let me hear what Geno sounds like cowards.

Hmmm... nah.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
There’s better fakes around
Example?

I want some sound leaks... Let me hear what Geno sounds like cowards.

Hmmm... nah.
...I've never even considered that until now. Who would make a good voice for Geno? He's definitely not a silent character, so I'd imagine he'd get a VA... I'd imagine it'd be one of Square's many mainstay actors.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I must have missed something about the Ken leak, last I knew it was an undisputed real image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom