• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nah, she does have a better shot.

Because he's a Z tier character who appeared in one game plus had a costume in Smash 4, it didn't come out in Europe on it's first release, and he's just the definition of "who?"
Interesting seeing as he has literally appeared only in Mario games, though developed by Square Enix, they, you know, were Mario games
I also find it interesting how he is one of the VERY few characters who Sakurai has publicly acknowledged is well-wanted by not only him, but the community
Why exactly do you think he got that costume in the first place?

It's tough to find a third party with more Nintendo relevance than Geno because he's literally just a Mario character owned by Square Enix.
"Z tier" or not that's a silly complaint when Sakurai has shown numerous times that if the fan demand is enough he will add a character, regardless of if you feel they're irrelevant or not.

SMRPG came out in Europe in 2008, not sure why we should just forget about the 12 years they've had to get to know him

But Lara, who is, in the SMASH COMMUNITY that this game seems to be directed towards, is a literal who demand-wise, is more likely than him?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still find it hard to believe there won't be any cutscenes if there's a supposed story. It's not Ultimate without that and I do believe Sakurai can pull it off.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well I feel weird today. A bunch of strange feelings I tell you.
I still find it hard to believe there won't be any cutscenes if there's a supposed story. It's not Ultimate without that and I do believe Sakurai can pull it off.
Cutscenes are very time consuming to make, especially with a scope of this many characters. I guess that’s why Sakurai didn’t want them in Smash 4. He had a lot more characters to work with and he didn’t want to leave the game in the same mess as Brawl (remember when they forgot to adjust Snake’s hitboxes).

It’s a little sad, but that’s the price you pay when you get a buttload of characters. I’m at least hoping for some rival cutscenes.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I still just want to see those CGI renders again, for every character. The need to see them has grown for me.

Edit: See? No flashing lights!

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mfw people come out of nowhere and post either edgy or random things about how the discussion or topics are dumb:
View attachment 169186
Not only is that foolish because, let’s face it, it’s an Internet forum for a video game, but it just doesn’t contribute anything. Like, if something bothers you and you want to do something about it/change it, the solution is not to tell people they’re dumb or that you don’t like them as a community. That just makes it worse.

Do I think some things are a tad crazy? Ye. I do. But me saying, “Bruh why you post that!?” Isn’t going to change it.

We’ve got about a month and a half left of this nonsense, and even less until we firmly know the final roster. We’ll probably know the base roster within 2 weeks (imo), so once that’s over with it’ll only be a matter of time until DLC talk ramps up.

Maybe it’s because last time I was big into speculation, I was a freshman/sophomore in college. Now I have a full time job, so I don’t have as much time. But when things got boring, you find other things to do to take up the time.

Today, i’ve read pages of comments that consist of, “PLZ I NEED A DIRECT”. No, you don’t need a Direct right this instant, you need something to distract you from wanting a Direct right this instant. That’s the only thing that is in your control.

Read a book. Play and beat a game in your backlog. Do homework. Write a fanfic. Or take a walk. Do something that will make your mind go elsewhere, and I promise you it will get easier.

Granted I also am constantly doing crap that I don’t necessarily always want to do, but that also helps. Like I can’t even believe we’re about a month and a half away. It seems like yesterday was the August Direct, yet it’s been so long.
All of this couldn't be truer.

People may have noticed that I've been posting less here in the past fortnight or so (I was posting a lot up to that point :laugh:)

It's because I've been doing other things to pass the time.

I've been considering playing the original Shin Megami Tensei (the version for the SNES), but finding the ROM is a pain because Shin Megami Tensei, already part of a rather obscure franchise (Megami Tensei as a whole), is the more obscure half of the franchise. There is a translated version (two in fact), but... you know, ROM take-downs. *shrug*

NineS

Smash Lord
Well I feel weird today. A bunch of strange feelings I tell you.

Cutscenes are very time consuming to make, especially with a scope of this many characters. I guess that’s why Sakurai didn’t want them in Smash 4. He had a lot more characters to work with.

It’s a little sad, but that’s the price you pay when you get a buttload of characters. I’m at least hoping for some rival cutscenes.
This is talking about pre-rendered cutscenes. But what are the odds we might get some that aren't pre-rendered, and are simple, easy for Sakurai to make and using the in-game renders?

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This is talking about pre-rendered cutscenes. But what are the odds we might get some that aren't pre-rendered, and are simple, easy for Sakurai to make and using the in-game renders?
I feel we could be getting scenes like that. I had this thought for awhile when we saw Dracula and Ratholos being introduced with their little scene.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Does anyone else find it weird that Vergeben doesn't know of any Namco reps yet but supposedly knows a Square Enix one? It's just odd. I wonder if he just isn't saying anything on purpose.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I thought that was because the story mode for that was leaked and so he cut it out?

I can still honestly though believe not all characters being in Spirits. That'd be one way of getting cutscenes in.
Well it’s a part of it.

The story mode was extremely time consuming to work with. As he said, it was like making two games at the same time.

At the end, seeing how many things had to be manouvered around this mode, and how much more work it’ll be with Smash 4 along with that, he probably came with the conclusion that it would be for the best to not include it.

I can see that, but cutscenes still take a fair load amount of time to animate since they have to be a lot more fluid for since we’re looking at them at a much closer angle.

But in game models could loosen it up a bit. Like how PlayStation All Stars uses their models for cutscenes when they go up against a rival, maybe this will work for Smash Ultimate too.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well it’s a part of it.

The story mode was extremely time consuming to work with. As he said, it was like making two games at the same time.

At the end, seeing how many things had to be manouvered around this mode, and how much more work it’ll be with Smash 4 along with that, he probably came with the conclusion that it would be for the best to not include it.
I can still honestly though believe not all characters being in Spirits. That'd be one way of getting cutscenes in. That and considering the cutscene-lookalikes in character reveal trailers shows its still a possibility.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I could see some quick little pre-rendered cutscenes, like in Melee.
I don't think we'll ever get up to SSE levels, though.
This is something I want for the Unlockable characters.

It can be cutscenes using in-game graphics for all I care, I just want stuff like Melee's Luigi cutscene.

Shroob

Sup?
Does anyone else find it weird that Vergeben doesn't know of any Namco reps yet but supposedly knows a Square Enix one? It's just odd. I wonder if he just isn't saying anything on purpose.
I think Sakurai flat out saying that besides Heihachi, he couldn't think of a Namco rep besides Pac-Man for Smash4 says a lot.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Your Spirits Mode bit makes me wonder: if you could make an RPG party out of 4 characters we have, what would you decide? I would go for :ultlink::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultcloud: (swords bias, and photo bias).
The dream team, you ask? I'm using Pokemon rules, so six team members.

:ultinkling: The Squid
:ultpokemontrainer: The Very Best
:ultridley: The Brain/Brawn
:ultkrool:The Wild Card

With :ultisabelle::ultpikachu::ultdaisy: in backup.

If Incineroar and Geno get in, replace K Rool with Incineroar and Trainer with Geno.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Sakurai flat out saying that besides Heihachi, he couldn't think of a Namco rep besides Pac-Man for Smash4 says a lot.
I could had swore he said something about Lloyd once involving the GameCube and such. Don't exactly remember what those words were.

Also does Sakurai not know Soulcalibur? That has lot of potential there

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought that was because the story mode for that was leaked and so he cut it out?
It's more that people kept putting the cutscenes online, which ruins the fun in his opinion. He thinks it's better if people view the cutscenes themselves for the first time while playing the game itself. It makes the experience a lot better when it's being done by yourself. Earning each cutscene and all. He's not wrong about that feeling. Watching a game being played is nothing like actually playing it yourself. Besides that, he feels the manpower went to waste if the customers can't actually experience it themselves, which is why he's so passionate about the decision.

Is it a good decision? I'd say yes if only because it just took too much manpower to make the cutscenes(this is why 70% of Brawl's development was spent on the SSE alone. Not all of it cutscenes, obviously, but a good chunk of it is a given). In the end, the CGI trailers we have are more than enough at this point and still pretty cool.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This is something I want for the Unlockable characters.

It can be cutscenes using in-game graphics for all I care, I just want stuff like Melee's Luigi cutscene.
I loved that so much! Do you think we could see something like that for Peach and Daisy?
Peach enters in, but instead Daisy footstools her? I really want to see that now.

Shroob

Sup?
Did Sakurai really say this? Huh...
Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Interviewer: Heihachi!

Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I can still honestly though believe not all characters being in Spirits. That'd be one way of getting cutscenes in. That and considering the cutscene-lookalikes in character reveal trailers shows its still a possibility.

And as NineS said

Well I did touch up on that on the same post.

If we do get cutscenes, there probably wouldn’t be a lot of them since there are a lot of characters to go through.

Though that’s not to say that I wouldn’t be happy if there were. I just hope we get info on the new mode right now.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Interviewer: Heihachi!

Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…
Damn Sakurai, way to trash-talk all of Bamco's characters, lmao.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well I did touch up on that on the same post.

If we do get cutscenes, there probably wouldn’t be a lot of them since pre render or not, to take up a lot of time.

Though that’s not to say that I wouldn’t be happy if there were. I just hope we get info on the new mode right now.
I realized that. Guess I wasn't fast enough to edit that out...My bad...Embarrass

Iridium

Smash Hero
The dream team, you ask? I'm using Pokemon rules, so six team members.

:ultinkling: The Squid
:ultpokemontrainer: The Very Best
:ultridley: The Brain/Brawn
:ultkrool:The Wild Card

With :ultisabelle::ultpikachu::ultdaisy: in backup.

If Incineroar and Geno get in, replace K Rool with Incineroar and Trainer with Geno.
Well, if I used those rules too, then :ultmetaknight: and :ultroy: as backup. Or, my party would be :ultgreninja::ultsheik::ultlucario::ultsnake:, with :ultrobin and :ultmegaman: as the backup.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
As cool as Geno would be, I think his supporters tend to forget that both Sakurai and Square Enix have to agree to his inclusion if Sakurai wants to put him in. Sakurai has mentioned that he wanted Geno since Brawl, but there's a reason he still hasn't gotten in yet. Perhaps Square Enix just doesn't see any way that they could benefit from his inclusion. Unlike other characters owned by them, Geno is not in any recent or upcoming games that could be promoted and doesn't have any merchandise. At the end of the day, Square Enix is just like any other corporation and wants to make a profit. But who knows? Maybe I'll end up being wrong and Geno will still get in somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom