• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which I wonder if that's just a Smash community thing because outside of that its the opposite, it seems. I get the costume and AT absence but whew.

Then there's this.
It's a Sonic fandom thing. Shadow and Sonic generally share the first two spots in popularity pools.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
True. I meant that it was more likely Dante would have them in Smash.
Yeah, as Dante's default is two guns and sword whereas Bayonetta's default is a gun per limb and Portal Punches.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Nintendo fans tend to not care for series that werent exclusive or big on nintendo consoles

There's people on here who think geno is more iconic than Dante the king of action games lol

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know the guy who made Devil Made Cry is the same person who made Bayonetta right? Dante has every right to be in Smash as she does, save for possibly having little Nintendo presence but who knows if that doesn't change in the future.

Though I agree that there are other characters who probably fit "better"
And Yuji Naka created both Sonic and Girl's Garden. Simply sharing a creator doesn't automatically create an "every right to be" scenario. That's presumptuous.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's a Sonic fandom thing. Shadow and Sonic generally share the first two spots in popularity pools.
When Eggman said “[Shadow] is one of the most popular characters in the whole canon!” in the Sonic Boom cartoon, he wasn’t kidding

I still love that the writers snuck that in :laugh: the show’s not gonna be the same without them

Pakky

Smash Hero
Nintendo fans tend to not care for series that werent exclusive or big on nintendo consoles

There's people on here who think geno is more iconic than Dante the king of action games lol
Which is... something... *cough*

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I know we're off the stages topic at this point, but seeing all the other replies with obvious stages I missed just drives home how utterly amazing the fact is that we're getting practically every stage back. At the moment, that's really as exciting as the roster to me.

While I'm at it, I imagine this was brought up a couple months ago (for music-related reasons), but imagine how amazing the city from Air Ride's City Trial would be as a new gimmick-based / travelling stage. You could fly around the city, which has enough cool set pieces at it is, but you could also integrate picking up stat boosts akin to the ones in City Trial / Smash Run (Jump, Offense, Defense, Speed...) to power up your character's stats over a match, and lose some on hitting a stage hazard or losing a stock.

Don't think it'd be terribly likely even if there are five more stages to reveal, but a guy can dream.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Can't wait for Geno fans to explain how Geno is more iconic than Lara Croft or Sora or whoever the SE rep is

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know we're off the stages topic at this point, but seeing all the other replies with obvious stages I missed just drives home how utterly amazing the fact is that we're getting practically every stage back. At the moment, that's really as exciting as the roster to me.

While I'm at it, I imagine this was brought up a couple months ago (for music-related reasons), but imagine how amazing the city from Air Ride's City Trial would be as a new gimmick-based / travelling stage. You could fly around the city, which has enough cool set pieces at it is, but you could also integrate picking up stat boosts akin to the ones in City Trial / Smash Run (Jump, Offense, Defense, Speed...) to power up your character's stats over a match, and lose some on hitting a stage hazard or losing a stock.

Don't think it'd be terribly likely even if there are five more stages to reveal, but a guy can dream.
You mean Smash Run

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
When Eggman said “[Shadow] is one of the most popular characters in the whole canon!” in the Sonic Boom cartoon, he wasn’t kidding

I still love that the writers snuck that in :laugh: the show’s not gonna be the same without them
I don’t whatch Sonic Boom, But I like watching the little clips of them being self aware.

blackghost

Smash Champion
these are my favorite posts on smashboards. the characters that have been through this treatment include but are not limited to:
chun-li
heihachi
dante
laura croft
chris redfield
cloud
inklings (yes this happened)
im sure there are more.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Assuming that Inkling would be in there as well, I'd be 100% fine with it - between "Everyone is Here", Ridley, and K. Rool, I'm already satisfied with the roster, and getting Isaac and Dante on top of the characters that Vergeben's leaked would be downright amazing!

I haven't played much of Golden Sun, but there seems to be a ton of material to work with and it could help get GS back in the spotlight; Dante has so much potential for moves that it's downright insane, and he seems like he'd be a ton of fun to play as whether he's based on DMC1, 3, 4, or 5.
I think they just plain forgot Inkling.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
You can’t seriously tell me Dante wouldn’t be hype as ****.
To the people saying that he isn’t as iconic as characters like Banjo: Not only is that not a valid argument against him in Smash, but it’s flat out wrong. Dante is an insanely recognizable character and DMC essentially revolutionized the action game genre and even invented an entire subgenre known as the character action genre.
The only argument that I think has a point is that no DMC game has ever been on a Nintendo console. But to me, that doesn’t ****ing matter since Dante’s in Project X Zone, and that leak states that DMC4 Special Edition is gonna be ported to the Switch, so that solves that problem right away.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, if you think Dante is boring, I'd like to remind you that he has an ELECTRIC GUITAR THAT LITERALLY SHOOTS LIGHTNING.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Which I wonder if that's just a Smash community thing because outside of that its the opposite, it seems. I get the costume and AT absence but whew.

Then there's this.
The thing that still bothers me about that movie, is why Zangief is considered a bad guy... Isn't he a good guy?

Can't wait for Geno fans to explain how Geno is more iconic than Lara Croft or Sora or whoever the SE rep is
I think Geno is an Exception...
imo, Third party Characters in Smash need to be one of the folowing"
1. Must hail from iconic video game Franchise that has sold at least 40 Million Copies (Sonic, Ryu, PAC-MAN, Cloud, Snake)
2. Must have a huge tie to Nintendo. (Simon, Mega Man, Bayonetta)
To be frank, i don't think Dante fits any of these criteria
Geno on the other hand...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know I've noticed something. Whenever I bring up characters like Dante, Leon Kennedy, Jin Kazama IIRC, and Doomguy being in Smash, people more or less tend to not be excited. Not I'm not denying that there's some people out there that support these characters, but I feel as if any four of those characters would be a rather divisive inclusion if any of them got into Smash.

I am right in thinking that?
I think third parties tend to be divisive by nature.

With Smash fans, we all will generally recognize other Nintendo characters, and we’re more amenable to that. Outside of the big N though, we all have different tastes. It’s why some support lighthearted* puzzle games like Layton and Phoenix, and others prefer the blood and guts of Mortal Kombat

*lighthearted here meaning ‘anywhere from Lisa Frank to PG13 movie’

For those specifically, I think there’s also a lot of competition as well. Leon could compete with Jill or Chris, Jin with Heihachi, and Doomguy with any other Bethesda character. Each of these franchises is also known for viceral themes and decently graphic visuals.

Besides, Dante also carries the “we hate Bayo” stigma for basically being rule 63 Umbran Witch. Jin’s also widely considered ‘boring’ for being a generic good guy up against his evil (and more visible) grandfather. Doomguy also does have thematic overlap with Samus and Master Chief (no, not that they’d be echoes. Just that they’re all power-armored space marines with energy weapons)

And as the most vocal Dovahkiin supporter on this site, of course I don’t want anyone in his way. Now offer a Bethesda DLC pack with Dovahkiin and Doomguy with a Vault Boy assist...now we’re talking.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Why does no one talk about Eggman?

Its always "He's likely to be a boss..." and that's the end of the discussion.

I find him fascinating. He doesn't even need to be in a vehicle or anything like that due to multiple feats of athleticism while being out of one.
I'd love Eggman to be in smash but I don't see it happening because he'll likely be a boss instead. The most likely trains for Sonic fans to ride on at this point are Tails and Shadow tbh

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think they just plain forgot Inkling.
I think Inkling is just the plain most forgettable newcomer for Smashboards in general.

EDIT: Just joking, it's probably Chrom.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Dante would not play like Bayonetta at all. He has enough material to differentiate himself from her. The two fight nothing alike.

And for the whole Capcom character thing, that's fine if you want a different Capcom character. I'm not trying to say one character is more dersiving than the other. What I'm trying to figure out is why some people don't find him a cool addition. And that answer is looking to be "Not enough Nintendo history", which to me is ridiculous, but whatever.
For me it's a combo of that and wanting something different aesthetically. As a personal preference it's more fun for me to see a character that fights in an unusual way, like with yoga poses as an extreme example, and aesthetically I feel that Simon and Bayonetta both fill the darker and stylish vibes that he'd fill quite nicely for me.

Like yeah he's cool! I'm not denying that at all. I can even think of dream matches I would want with the roster. But there are niches that aren't filled that have characters I'm equally excited for.

Travis is my one exception because I adore him, but that's just how it be

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If Geno got in Smash his crowd chant would be

"WHO IS GENO, WHO IS GENO"

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
these are my favorite posts on smashboards. the characters that have been through this treatment include but are not limited to:
chun-li
heihachi
dante
laura croft
chris redfield
cloud
inklings (yes this happened)
im sure there are more.
Who was that smug art dude on twitter who was like "they annouced cloud for smash?? Really??? They should of made a better character with a big sword playable instead" and he had an image of hyrule warrios impa in his tweet with that uh big sword she has in the game

I had several friends who didnt even know who HW Impa even was lol but atleast they knew Cloud

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
1. Must hail from iconic video game Franchise that has sold at least 40 Million Copies (Sonic, Ryu, PAC-MAN, Cloud, Snake)
Why specifically 'at least 40 million'?

How did you get that number?

Devil May Cry is with no doubt an iconic franchise

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
If Dante actually gets in, you bet your ass that there’ll be “Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series” memes everywhere, even more than usual. Count on it.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
You know I've noticed something. Whenever I bring up characters like Dante, Leon Kennedy, Jin Kazama IIRC, and Doomguy being in Smash, people more or less tend to not be excited. Not I'm not denying that there's some people out there that support these characters, but I feel as if any four of those characters would be a rather divisive inclusion if any of them got into Smash.

I am right in thinking that?
I only know Dante and Doomguy. Never heard of the other two. So less exposure might be a part of it idk. I don't care too much about Dante but know he's an iconic character whereas I'd be super hyped for Doomguy

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think Inkling is just the plain most forgettable newcomer in Smashboards in general.
Only because she was announced before the game itself had a name, and it was the most obvious pick for a newcomer probably ever. It's rare for Nintendo to have a brand new IP, let alone one that becomes such a hit, past the 1990s.

Nobody was surprised by Inkling's inclusion, and said inclusion was announced before Ridley and the Echo character thing, so we kind of treat her the same as Smash 4 DLC retrospectively.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The thing that still bothers me about that movie, is why Zangief is considered a bad guy..

Geno on the other hand...
The maker of Wreck-It Ralph admitted the reason he put Zangief there was because he struggled vs him as a kid in Street Fighter.

Also are you really trying to make fan rules at this late point in Smash Speculation?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Why's Dante up for discussion again? We get another leak?

"Yep. But you can call me Dante the Dream Killer, has a nice ring to it don't you think?"

"**** you! Profuse vomiting"

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think Inkling is just the plain most forgettable newcomer for Smashboards in general.
I think it has to do with how expected they were. We were all shovked they didn’t make Sm4sh DLC, I think most of us would have put money on them being the next ‘big newcomer’ even before the March direct.

That’s probably why hype for Ken and Incineroar is cooling off - they’re expected at this point. Not that none of these characters have fans, they do - just that the non-fans are expecting them so instead of a hype reveal, we’ll get “omg, who would have guessed /s”

KMDP

Smash Legend

EDIT: Just joking, it's probably Chrom.
Well, we all know who the most forgettable character in Smash period is.
It's (probably) :ultrob:.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
You know, I have to ask: Would anyone be legit upset if Geno or Bandana Dee really did get in? Considering the growing consensus of “literally who” and “Hat Goomba” that is being applied to the two of them respectively, I’m beginning to wonder if the detractors of those characters outweigh the fans.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I just wanna let you know, who will be a "WHO?" character in Smash Ultimate?

In Melee we got Marth/Roy

In Brawl we got Pit/R.O.B.

In Smash 4 we got Shulk

So who will be the next one??

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, we all know who the most forgettable character in Smash period is.
It's (probably) :ultrob:.
I'm just talking about myself but I never could forget R.O.B., Subspace Emissary made sure of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom