• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolokOriginal

Smash Rookie
If Ken is supposed to be on the other side, why is there two spots empty on the shown side ?

There should be only one if that theroy was true.

Edit : Oh yeah, Isabelle

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

Ken and Incineroar are placeholder fighters presumed by a lot of people including the person who made this but the 68 number doesn't include echo fighters.

Ooooh this makes me feel sad. I believe I will sleep until we get new official info hahahaha

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Then why does Verge Know about 3 Characters?
Incineroar
Isabelle
Square Enix Character

When there's only two slots?
Because maybe they’re all in the base game? And if they’re not one is paid DLC like Smash 4?

How does any of that indicate free DLC?

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
If Ken and Macho Man Randy Savage are really all we're getting, Geno better be the first dlc character revealed.
With that being said, I have a hard time buying we're only getting one more unique character.
I mean, Verge did say that there would be a second Square Enix rep. We all just assumed it would be base roster. Perhaps it is Geno for DLC, like how Mewtwo was revealed as DLC during sm4sh?

Chrono.

View attachment 164334

Why is everyone treating the boxart like it's absolutely final on what the remaining roster is? Because it isn't.
Name one reason as to why it would. There's been plenty of things like this before prior to the "holy **** thats a lot of characters" direct. Why is this one all of a sudden mattering? It's just promotion, man. Get a grip.
Sometimes, it's better to stop and let go.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Make of it what you will, but everyone...and I mean EVERYONE who frequents these threads should be very careful with their expectations at this point.
Ken and Incineroar? I guess I can live with that. *acceptance stage*

At least I have Inkling, Daisy, Simon, Richter, Chrom, King K. Rool, and Isabelle to tide me over before Smash 6 is announced in about 5 years.

In the meantime, I will continue supporting Meowth/Team Rocket and Toad/Captain Toad. I am envious of the lucky people who got all the characters they ever wanted. I have faith that one day Meowth and Toad will finally get in Smash as playable fighters... and then I can finally rest and never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So out of all these Vergeben claims... Which one of these do you guys think is fake

Gen 7 Rep
Ken
Square Enix Character

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
The blank spots mean nothing in terms of representation on this picture.
The blank spaces are to indicate a separation of the two sides of the box, not character spots,
Yeah but I'm saying they could have a column on the back of the box, look im just trying to find a way for more than two more characters which I kind of hope aren't Incineroar and Ken (kind of lame compared to Ridley and King K. Rool)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
See my previous post. There's a pattern.
https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-4482#post-22430913

I also made a quick mockup of the roster if Ken and Incineroar are the only remaining newcomers:

View attachment 164331
I'll have to say I like all the newcomers on the bottom, but I would be somewhat disappointed with it. Maybe we all got our expectations too high after the August direct.

I just find it weird that they pulled all of their big guns at the beginning.
So, to confirm your idea.
Pokémon trainer and Mii fighters are shown as one.
Echoes are all shown.
So, the number of slots would be 70 if we included everyone right now, INCLUDING Isabelle.
68 on the character section minus the 4 from Pokémon trainer and mii fighter plus the 6 echoes is 70.
Box would need to be 72 to be symmetrical.
2 fighters is the minimum number in that case.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So we might able to see 2 more characters before launch; an echo and a new fighter. However, I do think we might get secret characters, like I'm betting that the end of the next smash direct, Sakurai will say there will be more fighters as a secret. Do you think so? I mean I think the last fighter to be reveal for the public is a pokemon rep.
Except he explicitly stated “we plan on showing the design of every fighter before launch”.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Give me Eggman vs Bowser, please...

Please, not as a boss fight though, cuz, why?

kylexv

Smash Master
Time for my motto to go into full effect.

Always expect the worst. Then you won't be as disappointed.

That is why I'm expecting this box theory to be true. To me, it is the worst case scenario, so if it's any better than that, I'll be excited.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestly Isabelle’s gonna be my new main. ACNL was my first Nintendo game, so I have a lot of memories of that game.
And she’s so pure

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If this box theory ends up being true, that means the music theory is true as well.

Crap.

I hope there's another Ballot for DLC.
DLC is guaranteed for sure. Most games nowadays have it and if Smash 4 had it. This sure as heck will.

I'm predicting though we'll only get four. Two uniques and two echos to round up to 80 playable characters. I would predict Geno and Isaac will be among those.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh god.... if the box theory is true, that ALSO means music theory is true as well.

They've yet to show off a Pokemon song, and we know Echos can be revealed after their song's gone up on the site.

Unless we get a Pokemon song from now until Incineroar's reveal, things are looking funky.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Ken and Incineroar are placeholder fighters presumed by a lot of people including the person who made this but the 68 number doesn't include echo fighters.
Can I just say that I love that you used something I put arguably minimal effort into?:awesome:
---
As a side note, folks...seriously. Listen. We can sit here and make excuses as to why this isn't the final roster. Many of us have already been there. If you start telling yourself there will "absolutely be more on the back" or that, "it's just a boxart" and then it turns out to be true, it's going to hurt more.

Logically, it makes sense for all characters to be on the sides of the box, with the back of the box having the splash page for the game itself. They aren't going to have a random selection of 3-5 characters on the back. It makes total logical sense for it to be split in half.

I'm not going to say anyone deserves to be frustrated with the roster, because I wouldn't want to be sad that my most wanted didn't get in, but listen...the one problem that Smash fans literally always fall into is the hype train that effectively accelerates to overblown expectations. It happens every time. With Smash 4, everybody thought Ridley and K.Rool were kept off the side of the ESRB leak because it was too hype. That was nonsense, and everybody honestly knew it.

This time, Sakurai literally started with, "I hope you're not expecting as many fighters as previous titles". What did Smashboards and the fanbase at large take that as?

"He's trolling, there'll be just as much if not more". "They're going to add TONS of echo fighters to make up for the lack of unique newcomers." "They're showing off K.Rool and Ridley already??? THERE HAS TO BE MORE!!!"

Not everybody thought that, but you'd be lying if you said that wasn't a common statement throughout this speculation cycle. Expectations got out of hand, again, and now it's kicking everybody in the rear.

I won't lie. I'm kinda sad that Isaac and Geno aren't in the game on the base roster. There's always hope for DLC, but I think everybody has to take a moment and consider what this game already has to offer aside from "insert x character here".

There's no reason to give up yet, as this game is absolutely going to get DLC. For all we know, they may announce the first DLC character at the end of the next Smash Direct.

Folks, you just need to learn (and it might be the hard way) to temper expectations, and to hype responsibly. I hate to see people disappointed, but at the same time a lot of people have being doing it to themselves. It happens every time. We hear one thing, but then clearly misinterpret it as a means to accelerate the hype train. The hype train always crashes at the particular moment when everything becomes clear.

If Incineroar and Ken are the last two, then 103 stages is probably the actual total, something that Sakurai deliberately talked about in the Direct. Those last few stages could absolutely be reserved for DLC though. The music theory could actually hold water after all. Imagine that.

Sorry if this makes me seem like a downer. This should just be a lesson learned. I could totally end up wrong about this being the end of the road for base roster, and I'm sure many of the people here will be pissed and maybe not want to read this, but I just feel it has to be said.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Time for my motto to go into full effect.

Always expect the worst. Then you won't be as disappointed.

That is why I'm expecting this box theory to be true. To me, it is the worst case scenario, so if it's any better than that, I'll be excited.
I mean even if the box theory is true it doesn't mean the last two characters are going to be Ken and Incineroar, I think one does need to be an echo tho so either Ken or shadow for that.
The new character could be anyone from Issac to Geno (I consider them two sides of a spectrum)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm getting ESRB flashbacks.

Guys, for real, its the final roster.

I mean it.

LIKE I REALLY MEAN IT

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'm getting ESRB flashbacks.

Guys, for real, its the final roster.

I mean it.

LIKE I REALLY MEAN IT
Smash 4: ESRB

Ultimate: 'ESRB, only that it's only one leaker'

Yes I know Sakurai said that all characters will be revealed before launch. But Vergeben is giving me ESRB vibes. Most of his things have been correct about Smash. I cant just ignore him anymore, Mr. Bulbasaur.

Anyway going to sleep now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
-snip-
Shower thoughts are probably not the best thing to contribute lol.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So this is just a question, hope it doesn’t sound dumb. But why are characters like Luigi, young link, and Falco not considered clones?

Untouch

Smash Master
I guess we can still hype up bosses and stuff.
This also suggests we AREN'T getting any more stages. Ken wouldn't get one, gen 8 pokemon wouldn't need 1.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Any disclaimer on the photo saying, "product not final" or something?
Yeah, of course , is not a final boxart, lacks of Isabelle for example. But, well, the way on how the characters are displayed makes sense, in packs of 9. It's a solid theory... Based on a WIP boxart.
But, well, as someone said, better low the espectations at this point.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
>the box theory confirms that theres only two characters left

Because, the images can't be shrunk or enlarged? If there's more than two characters they can squeeze them in if they want to. I swear we come up with the weirdest ****in rules for things.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I still believe that there’s going to be another Smash direct. If this box theory is true, and Incineroar and Ken are revealed in October, that must mean Spirits mode will be the focus of it.

Here’s hoping it really is like Subspace.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ignore the boxart theory this instant

Vergeben is already outside 2 more characters
Verge also has multiple sources telling him different things and one has to consider that some characters like Geno are gonna be DLC
Also something something Gematsu something something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom