• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They wouldn't give you the choice. For example blue even in gen 3 at the Pokemon tower or SS Anne. It initiates an automatic battle ready or not.
Oh, the SS Anne. You mean the one that's still docked so you can go back to the Pokecenter at any time? And, if memory serves correct, also has a lady in one of the cabins who will heal your pokemon for you?

Even if you stumble into Blue unprepared, there's really no consequence for fainting and waking up in the Pokemon center. None of the trainers you beat on the SS Anne will challenge you again, which means you can waltz on up to Blue again with your pokemon fully healed. This is why I don't consider rivals healing your pokemon a "difficulty" thing, but just a quality of life thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just imagine... if Fighter Hayabusa actually gets in... could he be Incineroar Echo?

Q-Long

Smash Lord
https://i.imgur.com/sMBnb4P.png

Hey guys, want to see

Brawl got me into Smash and video games as a kid. I went on the official Nintendo forums (Nsider) to debate what characters would be appearing. So for street cred purposes I pretty much played every Nintendo IP I could find via purchase or emulation. I even beat FE6 and Mother 3 untranslated before they were. This let me back up my arguments better, but the byproduct of this was I became a life long Nintendo fan, it was cool how a company could have so many different series that were so many different genres and cool how Smash was a celebration of that.

Additionally, Snake's out of place inclusion in Brawl made me a MGS fan, it made me realize that games released on non-Nintendo platforms were good as well. For some reason I had this weird preconceived notion that any game not released on Nintendo was pretty much Bomberman Act Zero or Shadow the Hedgehog. :b

Not only that a lot of the forum members taught me skills and proper grammar and all of this other neat stuff. I worked really hard on the post I put this roster in, I put characters moves, their potential victory themes, their taunts, why they should be in, their bio, etc.

So that's why this roster, I made in gimp as a 12 yr old back in the mid to late 2000s, has so many obscure Nintendo characters. Another cool thing is how people were saying how unrealistic my 64 character roster is. Now look at where we are at!!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just imagine... if Fighter Hayabusa actually gets in... could he be Incineroar Echo?
I imagine Fighter Hayabusa would be more traditional wrestling, whereas Incineroar would be more heel fighting/lucha libre wrestling. The differences would be enough in my opinion, and both have a lot to offer to the series.
I know that you posted me a link. But, the OP is just saying ????, ????????, ?? and ?????. That's what it shows up to me.
Fireden doesn't like foreign fonts, so they just show up as question marks. If you take a look at the original you'll see the true original text. The translations are also further down the thread, so you can take a look at those too.

Apparently it's a repeat/piggyback of the shell 2chan "leak," so take it with a salt mine's worth of salt.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just this, found by Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .

Translates to:

That's literally it.
I just realized the Katakana for “Shadow” is written differently for Black Shadow than Sonic’s Shadow

Is it supposed to be that way or...?

The word is written in Black Shadow’s name as “シャドー” and Sonic’s Shadow is written as “シャドウ”

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know how you work.

I'm making sure it's clear that the IP is 3rd Party before you use this to promote "World Class Track Meet Guy" as the next "surprise character".
What purpose does it serve for you to discourage me from supporting World Class Track Meet?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
If you want perfect difficult, I'd direct you to either Platinum or Black/White 2. Those games have perfect difficulty.
Hmmm no I still found gen 2 much more challenging, granted those games are much better difficulty wise than gen 6, 7 and upcoming games.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Just this, found by Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .

Translates to:

That's literally it.
I can list characters in Japanese too but first y'all forgot some things.

ロケットアライグマ
タノス
バート・シンプソン
モジョジョジョ
ゴンバと帽子
思考絵文字

and the leaker forgot to say this

誰でも漏れを作ることができます。

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
outside of the first time I played Ruby when I was like seven, the only Pokemon games that I would say have given modern me any challenge have been BW and Platinum (which are some of my favorite to play) but even still they aren't, like, hard. Which is okay. I don't play Pokemon for the challenge, I do it to catch the Pokemon and explore the world

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
>Generation 2
>Perfect difficulty

Johto has one hell of a level gap, especially in the latter half.

If you want perfect difficult, I'd direct you to either Platinum or Black/White 2. Those games have perfect difficulty.
Gen 5's difficulty was really good, there were some good challenges in both games, but not so much that they ruined the game's flow, and even if you hit a bit of a roadblock they made grinding not stupid with the addition of rustling grass and Audino. I'm not a huge fan of how overly linear they are, but at the very least it allowed them to tune the games' difficulty extremely well.

Why did they even remove the rustling grass again? I really thought that was one of the better modern gameplay innovations for the series.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Johto is absolutely far from perfect, have the single worst leveling curve of all regions (at least Black and White had the decency to wait until the post game). The jump from literally every other Gym Leader to Clair is bafflingly stupid, and Kanto only makes it worse. Grinding is just a relic of bad game design from ages past and should never be a necessity.

My favorite Pokémon game is a toss up between Black, Black 2, and Omega Ruby, with Fire Red as an honorable mention.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Any reason why Soren keeps showing up in fake leaks?
I think it's supposed to be Sora?

Unless they mean Fire Emblem Soren, in which case... Cool, but why?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
outside of the first time I played Ruby when I was like seven, the only Pokemon games that I would say have given modern me any challenge have been BW and Platinum (which are some of my favorite to play) but even still they aren't, like, hard. Which is okay. I don't play Pokemon for the challenge, I do it to catch the Pokemon and explore the world
BW was tough near the end, i was stuck on the elite four for quite a while

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I'm planning to do a massive video game run while waiting for Ultimate. The main goal is to complete as many series as possible that are represented by fighters in Ultimate. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, and Kirby are off the list. Working on Metroid now, and will get FE:A, KI:U, Warioware Gold, and possibly Punch Out on Wii before December, and will try to finish DKCR. Some games I'm waiting for later releases, others for Christmas. Wish me luck, and if you want, I can go over the full list of planned games to play.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Maybe but the xp share either not existing or being limited undeniably makes the games more challenging.
Still kind of quality of life. Most RPGs give the whole party experience after a battle by design. Most RPGs are also more difficult than Pokemon. So equating Exp. Share to difficulty seems a little disingenuous.

Exp. Share just makes the grinding less tedious since you don't have to do the "start with weaker pokemon, then switch to your stronger pokemon" thing to level your weak guys up. It just makes the game go faster. The battle system is still a "water beats fire" level of simple.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon games aren't easier nowadays, just more accessible. The reason people think the older games are harder is because they were badly balanced and severely limited in options.
Gem 1 had a lot of weird bugs and glitches that didn't make things work the way they were intended, Pokemon balance was all over the place because GF didn't know yet how to properly balance the games, movesets were limited, some types barely had any moves(looking at you Ghost) and certain types were severely limited(Ghost and Dragon had one/two evolutionary lines until Gen 3).
Sabrina and Lance aren't hard, Psychic and Dragon were just OP. Johto wasn't hard, it just has a terrible level curve.
I'd rather kids have the Pokemon games we have today then make them like the old ones. Sure, any kid CAN beat those games but it's certainly not as fun when they all just wanna catch and use their favorite Pokemon rather than spend hours or days grinding.

Not that I don't like me some old-school bull**** myself, and I definitely wouldn't mind it, there's a reason why I basically only play Nuzlockes now.

Also, if you're going to complain about Gen 6 and Gen 7's difficulties, please turn off the Exp Share first. I can't count on my hands how many times I've heard "the Exp Share makes it too easy!" when the answer to that is "have you tried turning it off?"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think it's supposed to be Sora?

Unless they mean Fire Emblem Soren, in which case... Cool, but why?
It's meant to be Soren.

I have no clue why. It's near impossible to justify his inclusion other than being featured in the Brawl poll as one of the lower placing characters. I guess it could be due to his relevance in the story, or the fact that he's Ike's right hand man, but then why not add the Black Knight instead?

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
For the record I
Exp. Share just makes the grinding less tedious
I've never grinded in Pokemon though and found the difficulty balanced. If you grind in ANY Rpg eventually it will become easy that's a given.

I played gen 6 with no xp share and beat the whole game with my started extremely easily.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Any reason why Soren keeps showing up in fake leaks?
Soren was bound to follow Ike eventually, so he was a certain pick for Smash before too long, right? :p

More seriously, I have no idea. I mean, I wouldn't complain, but I find it hard to see Soren being added ahead of someone like Celica, even just in the mage department.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I simply have no patience in Pokémon games and Exp. Share is a time saver!

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Good morning (actually it's 12:44 pm but you know, a guy wakes up when a guy wakes up), have I missed any important news?

IronTed

Smash Ace
Honestly, the gen VII games (I have Moon and Ultra Sun) were the hardest Pokémon games I've played since I was little. I just periodically turned the exp share on and off to maintain a solid level, and voila. In general it baffles me that people seem to either not know or just ignore that fact. The change to the exp share is great and makes it usable, unlike the exp share of old that was only practical during the post game.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Pokemon games aren't easier nowadays, just more accessible
By becoming more accessible by next extension they've become easier.

Why shouldn't dragon and psychic types be the strongest?

I never understood the modern gaming obsession to have a balanced game over a fun one.

Mw2 is incredibly unbalanced but extremely fun it's why we are delighted to have it back.

If they want back and 'fixed the problems it would just be boring.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I played gen 6 with no xp share and beat the whole game with my started extremely easily.
I'm just saying. You're kind of conceding my point. You say that exp. share makes the game easier, then state that you beat the game easily with no exp. share on. The reason it's easy is that the game is intended to be by design.

D

Deleted member

What purpose does it serve for you to discourage me from supporting World Class Track Meet?
Support whatever you want.

Just be realistic about it instead of hyping yourself up to the point you push it heavily here with the attitude that it's all but confirmed like you've done in the past using Duck Hunt to support the case despite there being very different circumstances between the two IPs. My purpose is to keep realities in check before they get too out of control again.

Chrono.

Honestly I never cared much for Pokemon being too easy or not.

I don't particularly enjoy the battle system enough for me to really care. For me the meat of Pokemon is in exploring, the Pokemon themselves and, sometimes, the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom