• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
>Final Fantasy
>Not anime enough

Holy ****.

This isn't even weebing. This is... Advanced Weebing.
I mean, I'm sorry if my opinion upsets you, though I think it's disrespectful to call me a Weeb. I'm just saying that I don't like the realistic art. I like more cutesy, anime art.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is going to sound very picky, but I just think he looks too realistic and not anime enough, which is the same reason I don't like Final Fantasy. And I know, characters like Snake and Simon look realistic as well, but there's just something about Sora that just bugs me, and I can't figure out why. I'm sorry if that triggers anyone, I'm just saying how I feel
Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts characters are far too realistic...

-goes on to list characters even more realistically designed and less Japanese-

Especially Snake though. Snake is for more of a real man than any of the FF male leads.

And I really don't know how you can look at FF leads like Tidus or Noctis and not see they're very clearly Asian inspired in features.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But Dark Samus, K Rool, and Diddy Kong are from Japanese games.
Donkey Kong Country. Is. Not. A Japanese. Game.
RARE IS A WESTERN STUDIO. THEY ENTIRELY DEVELOPED THIS GAME.
THIS MEANS IT IS NOT A JAPANESE GAME.

Look my friend I am not trying to be rude but it genuinely feels like the episode of Spongebob where Patrick and Man-Ray are going back and forth over the wallet right now.

You also completely ignored my point about B&K.

Retro is ALSO a Western studio, and they created the Metroid Prime game DS originated from.
MEANING IT'S A WESTERN GAME.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is going to sound very picky, but I just think he looks too realistic and not anime enough, which is the same reason I don't like Final Fantasy. And I know, characters like Snake and Simon look realistic as well, but there's just something about Sora that just bugs me, and I can't figure out why. I'm sorry if that triggers anyone, I'm just saying how I feel
Okay. Sora has hair that can operate as a can opener.

At what point is he anime enough?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
God literally everybody is announcing things despite Nintendo's descision to not do it. It feels like actual disrespect to Nintendo at this point. I could get the case for Mega Man, since it was a demo, but Square just said "Oh yeah, FFXV Portable is on Switch lol" just now. Like Square could you please try to be patient for once, Nintendo is literally postponing the Direct due to the Earthquake.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Arguing about if Smash has some sort of arbitrary rule about only representing Japanese franchises is silly because we can already say with a certainty that such a pointless rule doesn't even exist.

No, he's not a playable character. But he is proof that Sakurai doesn't have some sort of unreasonable grudge against franchises born over seas. Getting him in as a trophy is still a huge honor and his trophy was clearly made with a lot of respect for the character.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'd just like to point out that a lot of early anime was inspired by western animation. There's not a single clear, dividing line between an "western" cartoon style and an "anime" style. Western cartoons inspired anime, and while I'm certainly no expert on the subject, I'll bet you Japanese animation inspired some parts of modern western animation as well.

Not that there even is a single "western animation" or "anime" style.
Yeah, Tezuka was actually inspired by Scooge McDuck for his art style which he went on to use for Astro Boy and his other projects.
Tezuka is considered one of, if not the grandfather, of Japanese animation.
So even Japan's animation has their roots in the western sphere of the industry.
To say that you don't like the "Western" art style, is pretty much saying you don't like an "anime" art style.
It doesn't make any damn sense.
We are talking about Smash which holds Snake from MGS, despite being extremely realistic and gritty, is still made by a Japanese studio and developer. Same thing with Sonic, who was influenced by Fleischer era cartoons, is still made by a Japanese team.
You could also say similar things about western properties like Shantae and Skullgirls.

Every property and series has their own art style, it doesn't mean it correlates to a region specific one as it doesn't make sense.
Some may follow trends found in different parts of the globe, but that's as far as you can say about that.

Last edited:

Chrono.

How do they know this was gonna close the direct?
I think he's just joking?
I mean, I'm sorry if my opinion upsets you, though I think it's disrespectful to call me a Weeb. I'm just saying that I don't like the realistic art. I like more cutesy, anime art.
I mean, I wouldn't be saying it if you hadn't just bashed western designs... Just for being western.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Could y'all stop getting in Kuon's face lol
It's an awkward preference but it's not like being ***** will change it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd pop off for that..
That ain't the only thing that's gonna be poppin' off...

CAUSE I'M POPPIN' OFF THE DRINKS!

scott has committed suicide.png

I think now Scottposting will resume to it's semi-daily schedule. Felt that it would be too awkward during the hours we've learned about the Direct delay and all.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Look my friend I am not trying to be rude but it genuinely feels like the episode of Spongebob where Patrick and Man-Ray are going back and forth over the wallet right now.

Retro is ALSO a Western studio, and they created the Metroid Prime game DS originated from.
Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't know that. I thought that since Donkey Kong and Metroid are Japanese, that those games were also Japanese.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Your reaction:

We get a new character tonight as the blog post. "Today's Fighter: #68 <New Character's Name Here>. Introducing <New Character's Name here> as the newest fighter in the roster. Tune in for their trailer at a later date but screenshots of them are available on their character page."

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't know that. I thought that since Donkey Kong and Metroid are Japanese, that those games were also Japanese.
I too am sorry for busting out the capslock instead of being more patient!
Reasonable mistake and one I almost made. Thanks for understanding my friend.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Your reaction:

We get a new character tonight as the blog post. "Today's Fighter: #68 <New Character's Name Here>. Introducing <New Character's Name here> as the newest fighter in the roster. Tune in for their trailer at a later date but screenshots of them are available on their character page."
That spoils the surprise, really. It's like getting the Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. trailers even though the game was out for months.
Just... "eh".

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

They had an advantage because they were published by Nintendo.
He's referring to western characters that aren't related to them in a way or another

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I personally don't like Shantae's design, but that's neither here nor there.

She comes across as someone to me who was designed to be both cute but also sexy and catering to fans who are the kind of people who also get off on anime girls. She even has **** like slumber party costumes, etc, etc.

And that's a serious hinder on any type of quality gameplay her games could have for me.

It's the same kind of stuff that makes me roll my eyes when watching anime. Just let the strong female character not have to be objectified or have weebified cuteness to make her waifu potential. It's gross.

(And before anyone brings up Bayonetta. Bayonetta is deliberately in control of the male gaze on her. She relishes in it and uses it as her power. It's a commentary on it and it's use in gaming, so shhh.)
Bayonetta was largely conceived as the ideal woman in the game's male creator's eyes, and the gimmick about stripping to attack is some grade A pandering. I would agree that Bayonetta is less frustrating than Shantae from a feminist perspective, and certainly there are far worse perpetrators out there (even Samus is honestly problematic, as making her a strong, usually-brave warrior and hero can only make up for so much objectification and fanservice), but Bayonetta deserves her fair share of flack for blatantly pandering to thirsty boys, as well. I'm a bit surprised someone as aware of the issues of female representation in video games would even like her as much as you seem to, honestly.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
God literally everybody is announcing things despite Nintendo's descision to not do it. It feels like actual disrespect to Nintendo at this point. I could get the case for Mega Man, since it was a demo, but Square just said "Oh yeah, FFXV Portable is on Switch lol" just now. Like Square could you please try to be patient for once, Nintendo is literally postponing the Direct due to the Earthquake.
Do you have a source for FF15 coming?

Because having the newest main FF game on a Nintendo console is honestly hype af for me.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Your reaction:

Sh***** bricks

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I think he's just joking?

I mean, I wouldn't be saying it if you hadn't just bashed western designs... Just for being western.
I'm just saying that of all the Western-designed characters I've seen, the only one that I actually like are the Shantae characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So I missed the last thirty pages.

Were confirmed leaks revealed?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When did Square announce that? I haven't heard that at all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm just saying that of all the Western-designed characters I've seen, the only one that I actually like are the Shantae characters.
What's wrong with the Donkey Kong characters?
Or Dark Samus?
Or Captain N?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Your reaction:

I would groan very loudly out of annoyance. That’d be the least hype reveal.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Your reaction:

We get a new character tonight as the blog post. "Today's Fighter: #05ε <New Character's Name Here>. Introducing <New Character's Name here> as the newest fighter in the roster. Tune in for their trailer at a later date but screenshots of them are available on their character page."
fify

I'd die :yoshi:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
You realize the things that are being announced are cross-console right? They would have literally had to spend hundreds, possibly thousands, of dollars to change and re-render these trailers and abruptly halt the releases of games and demos. Nintendo's choice to hold off on the Direct can't directly affect every other video game company in the world, that's not how business works. It's not disrespectful for them to do it. It just means the direct will be different because stuff got released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom