• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
The level of gatekeeping that requires "research" before a conclusion can be formed is a bit staggering. It's a fairly well-known Smash character with obvious positives and shortcomings, not some dissertation.
:ultbayonetta::ultsnake::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultgnw::ultduckhunt:

I'm not sure what a Smash character is but alright.

We all know how popular Mr. Game & Watch the character is from games like

Or the classic Nintendo character :ultbayonetta:

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So which is it? Can we stop saying this please?
IIRC she had a week or two where she charted in Japan when her releases were new and dropped off the charts. In general, western releases don't really have legs in Japan.

Pakky

Smash Hero
...Did you just call Snake, Cloud, and Simon not well known?
No, they are, are they Smash characters?

No.

Do you have to research to discover they relations with Nintendo? Perhaps.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
As someone who played and owns Half-Genie, I think Shantae’s supporters are holding their expectations way way too high, especially after the Nindie Direct.

It’s already mostly agreed that if Shovel Knight of all people is an Assist which was an absolute honor on it’s own, then Shantae is pretty unlikely.

I don’t hate the idea of Indies playable in Smash, it’s just that there are plenty of mainstream characters that are better off playable then them imo.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultbayonetta::ultsnake::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultgnw:

I'm not sure what a Smash character is but alright.

We all know how popular Mr. Game & Watch the character is from games like

Or the classic Nintendo character :ultbayonetta:
Wii Fit Trainer is unknown?

She's the only video game character my parents can recognise, along with Pikachu.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The thing about a character being well known is that, do you know how a character can become well known? You put them in Smash. It’s a requirement that kind of fulfills itself.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

No.

Except, yes.

They are.

They're in Smash. All 3 of them.

You used their stock icons.

If your argument is that they're not "from Smash", then that applies to literally every playable character in the game. With the possible exception of Mr. Game & Watch and Roy, depending on how you look at it. And that's only if you're super technical about it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Well, the only Smash character is Tabuu and his forces really.

Everyone else is from Something else as is the nature of Smash.
Once you’re in Smash, the rest of your accomplishments are insignificant.
They are Smash characters.

Just kidding. I get where you’re coming from now.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

No.

Do you have to research to discover they relations to Nintendo perhaps.
I do agree with Snake and Cloud when it comes to researching their history with nintendo, but I wouldn't say you have to do much research to know about Catlevania's relationship with Nintendo. One of the most well known and popular game of the NES era of gaming is Castlevania. I understand that after Castlevania 4, the relationship with Nintendo isn't as present, though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I do agree with Snake and Cloud when it comes to researching their history with nintendo, but I wouldn't say you have to do much research to know about Catlevania's relationship with Nintendo. One of the most well known and popular game of the NES era of gaming is Castlevania. I understand that after Castlevania 4, the relationship with Nintendo isn't as present, though.
Admittedly I would agree to this portion as well. But then again not everyone grew up with an NES.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well, the only Smash character is Tabuu and his forces really.

Everyone else is from Something else as is the nature of Smash.

Exactly that's what I mean.
Also there's Master and Crazy Hand, they are Smash Characters.

Enchess

Smash Lord
They don't know who :ultpacman: or :ultmario: or :ultsonic:is?

Well possible I guess.
I doubt my parents would know :ultsonic:

Actually, this might be a fun game. Who do you think your parents would know in Smash?

My guesses:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:(me and my siblings were obsessed with DKC):ultduckhunt::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Simon Belmont and Mega Man are the only third party characters to originate on a Nintendo console, fun fact.

Final Fantasy did as well but not Cloud.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
As someone who played and owns Half-Genie, I think Shantae’s supporters are holding their expectations way way too high, especially after the Nindie Direct.

It’s already mostly agreed that if Shovel Knight of all people is an Assist which was an absolute honor on it’s own, then Shantae is pretty unlikely.

I don’t hate the idea of Indies playable in Smash, it’s just that there are plenty of mainstream characters that are better off playable then them imo.
I'm not expecting Shantae, I'm just merely hoping for her inclusion. And I get it Shovel Knight is a very popular indie game character, but the same way people are saying don't expect Shantae to get in or she unlikely, the same goes for the opposite, don't expect her to have no chance at all. Just because Shovel Knight is an AT hardly means Shantae can't join.

It's like saying Cloud can't join or Ridley can't join, we the fans have a habit of setting up absolution, only for Sakurai to demolish them. It's all up to Sakurai if she or any other indie gets in, so far Shantae Reimu and Quote all meet the requirements to get into Smash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wii Fit Trainer is unknown?

She's the only video game character my parents can recognise, along with Pikachu.
Wii Fit Trainer over Mario and Pac-Man...wowzers

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Once you’re in Smash, the rest of your accomplishments are insignificant.
They are Smash characters.

Just kidding. I get where you’re coming from now.
This is so true.

Anyone who isn’t a playable fighter in Smash are scrutinized or dismissed. :4duckhunt:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Reading through all these posts makes me believe that she won't even get a regular trophy

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Actually, this might be a fun game. Who do you think your parents would know in Smash?

My guesses:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:(me and my siblings were obsessed with DKC):ultduckhunt::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultwiifittrainer:
Well my mom surely knows :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer: because she's obsessed with Pokemon Go. She also played :ultpacman: at some point. Of course, :ultmario::ultluigi:.

She'd know :ultdk::ultdiddy:since my brother and I were also obsessed with DKC, and probably some others like :ultyoshi::ultsonic::ultkirby:.

My dad would probably know Mario and Pikachu at the most.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
The thing about a character being well known is that, do you know how a character can become well known? You put them in Smash. It’s a requirement that kind of fulfills itself.
Which is why the original statement makes no sense.

:ultbayonetta: Would have gone away if not for Nintendo and by further extension Smash.

The only time people at first in mass began to really care about :ultbayonetta: is when they found out that's she would be exclusively on the Wii U.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
This is so true.

Anyone who isn’t a playable fighter in Smash are scrutinized or dismissed. :4duckhunt:
My brain is not picking up on the exact meaning of Duck Hunt.
Is it that Duck Hunt would be dismissed before his inclusion?

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Which is why I consider Quote most likely Indie, if any at all. His history puts pretty much everything but Touhou to shame, and his legacy and impact seem greater than Touhou's to me.
Hm, I don't know much about Cave Story, but I find it very unlikely that it has had a larger impact than Touhou on anything. And I'm very certain that it's legacy does not even come close.
Touhou has been one of the most prolific fan communities for years now. There are Touhou mods for hundreds of games, thousands of doujin, hundreds of thousands of remixes and covers of its soundtracks.

Pakky

Smash Hero
My brain is not picking up on the exact meaning of Duck Hunt.
Is it that Duck Hunt would be dismissed before his inclusion?
Yeah, no one thought he would be in the game. It was a big deal back in the day because I recall people fighting for him though they were few.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Well my mom surely knows :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer: because she's obsessed with Pokemon Go. She also played :ultpacman: at some point. Of course, :ultmario::ultluigi:.

She'd know :ultdk::ultdiddy:since my brother and I were also obsessed with DKC, and probably some others like :ultyoshi::ultsonic::ultkirby:.

My dad would probably know Mario and Pikachu at the most.
My dad played Killer Instinct on SNES with me and some of our....unofficially adopted family?
He played Spinal, figures out which two buttons were best and DESTROYED us.

For old Killer Instinct fans who know, it was Spinal’s shield bash repeatedly.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

My guesses:
Mommy likes to play Smash, but she would be more familiar with :ultcloud::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultbayonetta::ultlucario: she likes cute monsters and wants to hug them.

My daddy...He never played Smash. H-He...is dead...:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I mean, that spot also could be considered behind Sonic. Going by that I could reach and say it's meant for Tails flying behind Sonic to reference the iconic duo. But i won't :V

And besides, the additions of the 5 new characters from the direct showed they can move some characters apart. So looking for spots for characters is kind of useless now.
Looking for spaces is useless due to the movement of the characters but looking for clues isn’t. I still think skull kid is gonna get in because warriors in that picture is standing there scared over apparently nothing, looks like skull kid would fit perfectly as the thing shocking him

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who feels like Shovel Knight was way likelier than Shantae? He's a lot more recognizable and has better selling games overall. I didn't even know who Shantae was before reading Smash speculation.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

My guesses:
I know for a fact they'd recognize :ultmario::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultdk::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultbowser::ultwiifittrainer::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultryu:. Maybe :ultmegaman: and :ultdiddy:.

My dad played the first MGS so he may or may not remember :ultsnake:.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Am I the only one who feels like Shovel Knight was way likelier than Shantae? He's a lot more recognizable and has better selling games overall. I didn't even know who Shantae was before reading Smash speculation.
Who’s Shovel Knight?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hm, I don't know much about Cave Story, but I find it very unlikely that it has had a larger impact than Touhou on anything. And I'm very certain that it's legacy does not even come close.
Touhou has been one of the most prolific fan communities for years now. There are Touhou mods for hundreds of games, thousands of doujin, hundreds of thousands of remixes and covers of its soundtracks.
Nah, you're right.
Touhou is a massive behemoth and is oldest among them all.

However, Cave Story did serve as the inspiration and impetus for a lot of Western indie devolpers

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultfox::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzelda:

And my dad miiiight know :ultmegaman: and :ultsimon:, but I'd have to check with him on that. Wouldn't be surprised if he also knew :ultryu: and :ultduckhunt:. He never owned an NES as a kid but he certainly knew of it. I'd count :ultsamus: as well, but I'm still salty about an argument we had about if Metroid was originated an arcade shooter or not, in which he insisted their was originally no Samus.

It's actually a fairly impressive list. My parents started playing a lot more attention to a lot of Nintendo characters after I started my amiibo obsession in High School. They actually bought me :ultlucina::ultrobin:ultike: as birthday / christmas gifts, so they might still recognize those guys still but probably forgot their names by now. They might have learned :ultdiddy: from that to, he's pretty memorable just for being a monkey named after DK.

I remember my dad being confused after seeing :ultwario: on a backpack before. I remember him saying "I thought Donkey Kong was the anti-Mario".

My mom got caught up in the Pokemon Go craze and still plays it constantly to this day, so it's only and matter of time before she learns :ultlucario: and :ultgreninja:, which is still super surreal to me because she never cared about my Pokemon obsession at all when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom