• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Classic mode seems to have something more in common with arcade modes in generic fighting games.

Except instead of a pre-set rival, all of the matches are non-random instead.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
We don't know yet.

From what Sakurai showed us, it's likely that a lot of it is non-random, but as a trade-off, every fighter has a unique sequence of battles.
Well, I think in the direct it literally said every fighter has a unique route through Classic mode.
So it's possible that some may have battles that are only to that character. Like PT fighting Mewtwo before facing off against Master Hand or DK seemingly having Diddy as a partner for team battles.

Shepand Pagwins

Smash Rookie
On the topic of classic mode, I believe we saw a FE FFA, which to me means that, not only is it not random, it's themed, which I think is a nice touch

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Remember Classic Mode is more than just a fighter vs another fighter. There are things like Giant Battles, Metal Battles, Team Battles, and so on.

I'm assuming every fighter has a unique combination of those.

Like Kirby's Gourmet themed Classic Mode might include a battle with Giant Dedede.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
On the topic of classic mode, I believe we saw a FE FFA, which to me means that, not only is it not random, it's themed, which I think is a nice touch
I wonder what each characters theme will be. *thinks*
I wonder if my boi's theme will be gourmet just like Kirby's...
Worst case scenario: All Yoshi's battles are team battles (even the ones with Giant/Metal enemies), and his partner is a small Mario; Mario's AI is useless and if he dies it's a loss for you

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It's a feeling I've been having for the past week or so. Nintendo's had two indie Directs and their new mobile game just got a Direct as well, seems like they're getting smaller things out of the way now.

Then i stumbled upon this:
View attachment 161118
View attachment 161119Possible Smash leaker Mimique reweeted one of his friends claming there's a direct next week, and I'm of the mind that he wouldn't have done that for no reason.

Then, just yesterday, Nintendo's 6.0 update leaked:

View attachment 161120

It's looking like Nintendo is going to be announcing brand new classic controllers soon, at the very least. It also just feels like it's time for a big one, at least to me. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm crazy. Just feel a Direct coming. Call it a hunch.
I mean a direct literally has to be coming within the month. They want people to pay for online.

If they do the "single trailer" route, they'd reveal 2 characters at the minimum, similar to what they did to Robin and Lucina. But it'd be one newcomer and one Echo...
Could actually happen:
Skull Kid and Impa (sheik echo)

What I’d like to see:
Skull Kid and Vaati (Toon Link Echo with Zelda’s B attacks) and Impa (Greninja Echo with Sheik’s B attacks)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Worst case scenario: All Yoshi's battles are team battles (even the ones with Giant/Metal enemies), and his partner is a small Mario; Mario's AI is useless and if he dies it's a loss for you
Only if that means Yoshi himself is invincible (alluding to Yoshi's Island, which I assume you were referencing :yoshi:)

Shepand Pagwins

Smash Rookie
There's a clip from South Park I'd like to play in response to this, but that'd be censor-dodging.

I was referring to Yoshi's Island, yes. :yoshi:
I thought that emoji was exclusive to Zinith, the more you know
I've been a guest viewer for a while, I know my way around

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I hope Classic Mode stages has pools of possible fighters/stages/conditions they pull from so while it might not be entirely random it will always be themed.

Like you'll always 1v1 another Pokemon as Pikachu, or you'll always have a battle on a Stadium level on certain stages of Classic Mode.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I thought that emoji was exclusive to Zinith, the more you know
*sees how new of a user you are* Is that something you're notified about when you make an account? "Thanks for making an account. Oh and by the way, the Yoshi emoji is reserved for Zinith only."

Edit: Just noticed your edit that makes more sense. :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
oh **** forgot about him

like, say what you want about Sonic's alts, but at least some of them are in different shades of blue.
There seems to be a rule that PAC-MAN has to remain yellow, no matter what. Part of the dilemma may be due to his animation effects being colored yellow as well.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Seeing how Classic Mode turns out for Ultimate is pretty interesting for me, personally. I think Smash 4 Wii U's Classic was one of the weakest it's ever been, and if each character has their own little themed paths along the way, that would be a nice little touch, kinda like a mini story line for each character. That or it could be randomised each time. I just hope it's actually fun as opposed to the ludicrous messes that Wii U's Classic could devolve to on Intensity 7+.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Smash has a wide range of fighters from your average joes to offensive powerhouses, pressure characters, zoning characters, glass cannons, joke characters, sword users, magic users, tech users, hammer users, gimmick characters, etc etc.

Are there any other character archetypes that would form the basis, not a portion, of that characters general overview?

The only two I came up with is a pure grappler character akin to Zangief and a poison-based fighter akin to FANG ( sorry so many Street Fighter comparisons but that’s my jam).

I guess for the grappler archetype, Fighter Hayabusa, Starman, or Incineror would fit. And for poison, maybe Lip or Toxicroak?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the themed Classic mode is a good compromise.

That way you don't know the match format like in Melee and you don't know the series coming like in Brawl.

Only problem is if you want to do classic multiple times with the same character, but I think that'd actually help for going for the hard mode challenges to know what's coming.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Smash has a wide range of fighters from your average joes to offensive powerhouses, pressure characters, zoning characters, glass cannons, joke characters, sword users, magic users, tech users, hammer users, gimmick characters, etc etc.

Are there any other character archetypes that would form the basis, not a portion, of that characters general overview?

The only two I came up with is a pure grappler character akin to Zangief and a poison-based fighter akin to FANG ( sorry so many Street Fighter comparisons but that’s my jam).

I guess for the grappler archetype, Fighter Hayabusa, Starman, or Incineror would fit. And for poison, maybe Lip or Toxicroak?

I had a discussion in my Project Proposal thread about Nightmare a while back. A Super-heavyweight swordfighter that absorbs HP from his attacks could be an interesting character (there's also the fact that his sword swings actually look as heavy as they should, which is something Ike and Cloud kinda don't have. :laugh:)

Earth-benders like Isaac and Lycanroc could be terrain manipulators (even if the utility of it is somewhat limited for balance purposes).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I think spears would be an interesting addition, as they would have farther range than a sword and a faster speed than whips, but really struggle against characters who like to get up close. Bandana Waddle Dee, Mipha, and just about any FE character who owns a spear are good examples.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Smash could use more characters that use weapons outside of swords.

Ice Climbers and DDD with hammers are a start and the Belmonts have whips/morning stars covered

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
You didn't teach me any lesson, why would what you guys said make me change my mind?
I also wasn't the one to bring it up again, I will never be, but whenever someone does just to make fun of it I WILL argue against it no matter how pointless it is.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Mostly other Pokémon and specific RPG/Action-RPG builds, card games and MOBAs and stuff like that.
The green knight from Castle Crashers.
Not too many characters really focus on poison.
But Hollow Knight can use spore shroom and defenders crest to emit poison clouds. Reptile uses acid in Mortal Kombat. Dark Souls characters can make poison builds.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I decided to make a move set for one of my most wanted newcomers, Woolly Yoshi. Let me know what you all think!

Woolly Yoshi Concept

Woolly Yoshi is my idea for a second Yoshi representative. I believe that Woolly Yoshi has enough unique tools and attributes that would make it a fun character to have in Smash. There are plenty of characters that have multiple versions of themselves in the game – so why not the iconic dino?

General: Yoshi would be a lightweight and floaty character as he is made of wool. He has incredible aerial mobility like Jigglypuff, and moves quickly along the ground. When he runs, he uses his wheels from Woolly World. In the air, Yoshi’s second jump is also a flutter jump with armour performed with propellers like in Woolly World, however Woolly Yoshi’s covers more horizontal distance rather than vertical. When Yoshi enters the stage, he rides on Poochie. His alts are not different colours, they’re the redesigns from the game like Shy Guy Yoshi, Cinnamon Yoshi etc.

Special moves:

Standard B: Yarn Ball. This move works exactly like Yoshi’s egg, the only difference here is that they are trapped inside of a yarn ball.

Side B: Moto-Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into a motorbike and rushes across the stage. Works more similarly to Sonic’s spin dash than it does Wario’s Bike. Can be used in the air to gain horizontal distance.

Down B: Hammer Ground Pound. Another move that Woolly Yoshi shares is the ground pound. Here, Woolly Yoshi turns into a giant hammer and slams down onto the opponents. It is much stronger than Yoshi’s version, but much slower. Think more like Kirby’s Stone.

Up B: Umbrella Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into an umbrella and flies upwards, headbutting everyone in the way. He floats down like Peach/Daisy.

Smash attacks:

Up Smash: Woolly Yoshi turns into Mermaid Yoshi and does a backflip, hitting with his tail.

Side Smash: Woolly Yoshi transforms into Mole Yoshi and slashes at them with large claws.

Down Smash: Yoshi’s feet turn into propellers and attacks them similar to Bowser Jr.’s down smash.

Final Smash:

Yoshi turns into Sky Pop Yoshi and flies around the stage as a plane, shooting everyone with missiles as he goes.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet

Some kind of spear or staff fighter would be cool.

Also a vehicle-based fighter wouldn't be out of the question, like Excitebike.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I decided to make a move set for one of my most wanted newcomers, Woolly Yoshi. Let me know what you all think!

Woolly Yoshi Concept

Woolly Yoshi is my idea for a second Yoshi representative. I believe that Woolly Yoshi has enough unique tools and attributes that would make it a fun character to have in Smash. There are plenty of characters that have multiple versions of themselves in the game – so why not the iconic dino?

General: Yoshi would be a lightweight and floaty character as he is made of wool. He has incredible aerial mobility like Jigglypuff, and moves quickly along the ground. When he runs, he uses his wheels from Woolly World. In the air, Yoshi’s second jump is also a flutter jump with armour performed with propellers like in Woolly World, however Woolly Yoshi’s covers more horizontal distance rather than vertical. When Yoshi enters the stage, he rides on Poochie. His alts are not different colours, they’re the redesigns from the game like Shy Guy Yoshi, Cinnamon Yoshi etc.

Special moves:

Standard B: Yarn Ball. This move works exactly like Yoshi’s egg, the only difference here is that they are trapped inside of a yarn ball.

Side B: Moto-Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into a motorbike and rushes across the stage. Works more similarly to Sonic’s spin dash than it does Wario’s Bike. Can be used in the air to gain horizontal distance.

Down B: Hammer Ground Pound. Another move that Woolly Yoshi shares is the ground pound. Here, Woolly Yoshi turns into a giant hammer and slams down onto the opponents. It is much stronger than Yoshi’s version, but much slower. Think more like Kirby’s Stone.

Up B: Umbrella Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into an umbrella and flies upwards, headbutting everyone in the way. He floats down like Peach/Daisy.

Smash attacks:

Up Smash: Woolly Yoshi turns into Mermaid Yoshi and does a backflip, hitting with his tail.

Side Smash: Woolly Yoshi transforms into Mole Yoshi and slashes at them with large claws.

Down Smash: Yoshi’s feet turn into propellers and attacks them similar to Bowser Jr.’s down smash.

Final Smash:

Yoshi turns into Sky Pop Yoshi and flies around the stage as a plane, shooting everyone with missiles as he goes.
Wow, very impressive. This seems like a unique fighter rather than an Echo, which I haven't heard about yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom