• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Too many premium peoples, it's like this topic is only for premium members

But, since we are unable to find the renders of the 7 characters anywhere, we have to wait. Yes, I know it's fake, but if it's really fake then the leaker must have put impressive art skill even if there are inconsistences.
You can actually find Skull Kid's in this obscure artist named "Masahiro Sakurai"s Smash Brothers 4.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
The thing about any other Square character getting in is that it's automatically going to piss the Geno fans all over the world with how high expectations are already risen for the character… and at the same time, for non Geno fans, it's gonna suck if it's him and all of the other potentially good Square suggestions don't happen. I just hope, whatever happens, people don't lose hope with DLC still being possible.
Maybe I'm naive, but I think DLC is going to happen. I do not believe they will lose the opportunity on capitalize on Smash Ultimate for all of the Switch's lifespan (and of course silence those who begin to ask for a Smash 6 when Ultimate is released)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ahem, this is my 100th post here. I noticed something and I am a bit confused.
No offense to Bravely Default fans: I know you'd love to have Agnès in the game, and I know you're a huge fan, but what I mean is, why not Tiz? He's the protagonist of the game, so why her instead of Tiz?
Actually, I want the whole BD cast as alternate costumes. Preferably with Magnolia and Yew as well.

Anyways, the conflict in BD more or less revolves around Agnes initially, since she is the most connected to the central plot of the crystals so many consider her the main protagonist with Tiz coming as a close second (though spoilers throws a wrentch into that anyways). There is also a bit more emphasis on her due to her being featured on official artwork the most and how she usually stands in front of the boxart.

In terms of character writing, I'd say I rank them Ringabel>Tiz>Edea>Agnes in terms of favorites, but as a JRPG cast, they work the most well together.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hmmm...in terms of a timeline, I was thinking:

Mid-October Smash Direct showcasing 3-6 characters like what we saw in August.

Followed by an early December Smash Direct like around the 3rd with showcases the last of the launch characters and serves as a final direct until he Game finally launches.
I honestly feel like the next Smash direct will be the moment they reveal the rest of the characters. Whether that's in October or November. If they have one last direct just days before the game's release. Pretty sure it will have leaked by then anyway. I think this is the very reason Sakurai is revealing all the base game characters before launch.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
No offense to Bravely Default fans: I know you'd love to have Agnès in the game, and I know you're a huge fan, but what I mean is, why not Tiz? He's the protagonist of the game, so why her instead of Tiz?
I know Tiz is the true protagonist, but Agnes was the face of the original game, and though she was not playable in Second, she was a pretty present and important character. If we get any BD representation I would be happy because I never believed it could happen.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
View attachment 160993

Oh man, he got the hair and accent right this time

Suddenly makes it real
I felt someone (if it is from the same leaker) just made the correction on Agnes's accent and Ken's render still looked somewhat off for some reason.

Anyways, the leaker did state that he would show gameplay footage of the leak which I'm assuming it still hasn't surfaced?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Fine, I'll do it myself.

Yall like your games so here's a game for you

Give a character suggestion that you've personally NEVER seen anyone mentioned in Smash speculation. Just someone you think would be interesting that you've never seen talked about
The one character who I know will never join, but would be such a ****ing hype buster for me
11B7C579-4FB7-48E4-BD94-0B8269BD87C9.png

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We want our favorite characters to get in Smash. Of course we want more until we are completely satisfied (in my case, give me Meowth and Toad and I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again). :awesome:

But still... it’s incredible how we have 70+ characters in Ultimate... from 1980 to 2015, maybe even to 2018... almost 40 years of video game history with a concentration of Nintendo history.

The 1980s
:ultgnw::ultpacman:

:ultmario::ultdk:

:ultluigi:

:ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt:

:ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpeach::ultbowser:

:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsnake::ultsamus::ultridley::ultsimon::ultpit::ultpalutena:

:ultryu::ultmegaman:

:ultdaisy:

The 1990s
:ultmarth::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultfalcon:

:ultsonic:

:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario:

:ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter:

:ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool:

:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:

:ultcloud:

:ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:

:ultpichu:

The 2000s
:ultvillager::ultolimar::ultroy:

:ultbowserjr::ulttoonlink:

:ultzss::ultdarksamus:

:ultike:

:ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmiifighters:

:ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer:

:ultbayonetta:

The 2010s
:ultshulk:

:ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultlucina::ultchrom:

:ultgreninja:

:ultinkling::ultcorrin:
Lucario made his debut in a 2005 movie, so that section is where he should be.

I don't consider Incineroar likely but Sakurai likes manly characters, so...
Adult Isaac confirmed. :p

Here's your feline rep, bro:
Everything will go wrong if he's playable.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of Agnes I feel she also has a more interesting character design then Tiz, even if people call her generic as well. And as a small bonus, she'd add a new female fighter to the roster, which while I don't think would normally be a deal breaker I think Tiz and Agnes are close enough in importance to their game that it might actually count for something.

Of course I do like the idea that was mentioned of having all of the main characters playable as alt skins for Agnes Koopaling style. It'd make sense since they all have access to the same job classes.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Is there any reason for the sudden spark in discussion about Agnes and Bravely Default besides that one fake leak? Honest question. I feel like I'm rather out of the loop on something, here.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Is there any reason for the sudden spark in discussion about Agnes and Bravely Default besides that one fake leak? Honest question. I feel like I'm rather out of the loop on something, here.
No. Welcome back to Smashboards dry season

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The “renders” look more painted than 3D, imo, except Shadow who was taken straight off a comic book cover, and Isabelle which is a potato phone pic of an official 3D render that already exists, and of course Skull Kid which was taken off a Trophy screencap while erasing his arm

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Would you trust your most wanted character to cook all 3 meals of the day for you for the rest of your life?

My most wanted character is clearly a ferocious, man-eating monster, as evidenced by this picture. I'm not too keen on the idea of being served live human flesh so I think I'll pass on this one.
It's just on a lot of people's minds right now because of that leak. Well all know it's BS and Agnes is very unlikey to happen but a lot of people are still curious about what it'd be like if BD did get a rep.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
"I don't feel like reading all these posts and my break is only a couple minutes longer. I'll just skip a bunch of pages and figure out what were talking about through context"

"Aha so it seems we're discussing the lorax movie with zack efron so that's... good."

On the topic of Agnes it might be nice if she got in for me since there haven't been any new fighters announced who I have absolutely no idea who they are whatsoever.

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
Fine, I'll do it myself.

Yall like your games so here's a game for you

Give a character suggestion that you've personally NEVER seen anyone mentioned in Smash speculation. Just someone you think would be interesting that you've never seen talked about
If it has to be one I've never mentioned... I got nothing.
But I mentioned a combination sport title charecter at one point, yes please

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Most likely due to the initial story being more focused on her, as well as her airhead pope self in Bravely Second being her important even if not playable.
Most also kinda see her as the face of the game due to promotional material.
Agnes' potential as a fighter with incorporating Brave Default mechanics in Smash elevates her to more than just a "generic mage".

I am just saying.
It'd be pretty cool if she had a Job Class mechanic that worked like Pokémon Trainer's swapping or Shulk's Monado Arts.

Last edited:

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
Would you trust your most wanted character to cook all 3 meals of the day for you for the rest of your life?
I don't think Fox's and humans eat the same things, but he seems so considerate so I'll go with yes.
He might go crazy on the science of cooking, but I can wait a few extra hours for him to figure out the optimal temperature and pan and seasoning for scrambled eggs

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Smash Ultimate's pre-release period is the equivalent of walking through a desert and finding an oasis, only to take one single drink of water from the lake and then keep walking.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Most likely due to the initial story being more focused on her, as well as her airhead pope self in Bravely Second being her important even if not playable.
Most also kinda see her as the face of the game due to promotional material.

It'd be pretty cool if she had a Job Class mechanic that worked like Pokémon Trainer's swapping or Shulk's Monado Arts.
Personally, I think that would make her mechanically too complex, if she is changing her whole set of special moves. I rather see Agnes focus on her Brave Default mechanic and nothing more.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No. Welcome back to Smashboards dry season
It's just on a lot of people's minds right now because of that leak. Well all know it's BS and Agnes is very unlikey to happen but a lot of people are still curious about what it'd be like if BD did get a rep.
Well, good to know, lol. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with continuing to discuss a hypothetical idea. That's what a pretty grand portion of speculation is made up of, and it's all for fun and curiosity.

I still wish there weren't so many freaking fake leaks though. I certainly don't mind seeing some, and it's to be expected, but it feels like there's been a large influx of them lately, for whatever reasons.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Agnes' potential as a fighter with incorporating Brave Default mechanics in Smash elevates her to more than just a "generic mage".

I am just saying.
I agree. People shouldn't judge moveset potential, especially if it's a game or series they never even played or heard of. :p Unless it threatens the totally deserved slot of [insert any character here]

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
BD basically has the entire FF class list and then some available for her to draw from.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Personally, I think that would make her mechanically too complex, if she is changing her whole set of special moves. I rather see Agnes focus on her Brave Default mechanic and nothing more.
I could see them streamlining the job class thing and making it a moveset theme rather then a gimmick. Maybe her F-smash could reference one class, and U-smash could do that another, ect, ect. Up-B would definitely be that Valkyrie jump attack.

Then they could through Braving and Defaulting as gimmicks on top of that. I mean, they'd probably have to, since that's how Bravely Default gets its name.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
In terms of Direct predictions, I'm not sure we'll get any last minute announcements, especially since every character will be revealed before the game launches, presumably to get ahead of any potential leaks to avoid what happened last time. My guess:

September Nintendo Direct: I think this would be a major first party character announcement, probably no echoes. My guess is Bandana Waddle Dee or Skull Kid. If there are echoes, which I'm not sure where else the rest would fit, this is where I'd see Dixie Kong and Isabelle.

October Pokemon Direct: I don't think Smash would be featured in the Direct itself, but I think around this time we could get an announcement of the Pokemon rep (if there is one, which I don't consider a lock). My guess is Incineroar.

October Surprise: I think at some point we would get a surprise reveal of a popular lesser known character. My guess would probably be Isaac, with Felix as an echo. If a Bandai Namco character is actually in, then this is around the time I think they'd announce it instead (and in that case, my guess is Lloyd).

November Smash Direct: Similar Direct to the August Direct. I think a major third party character reveal would begin it along with a stage and music, with a fan favorite to end it (My guess is Banjo & Kazooie to begin, Geno to end). Third party echoes, my guesses are Shadow and Ken. Online, a few brand new stages, Minecraft stage with Creeper assist, assists/pokemon, single player mode (NOT called Spirits). Third party echoes including Shadow and Ken would be revealed.

I do hope, though, that we get more characters, and more Directs. But being conservative, I think this is how they would spread it out.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
The thing about any other Square character getting in is that it's automatically going to piss the Geno fans all over the world with how high expectations are already risen for the character… and at the same time, for non Geno fans, it's gonna suck if it's him and all of the other potentially good Square suggestions don't happen. I just hope, whatever happens, people don't lose hope with DLC still being possible.
Geno will always have a chance for DLC though. Same with BWD or any other popular character that doesn't happen for base.
Seeing that the Switch is going to be running for a while, Smash DLC may too.
As someone who didn't know about Geno til the time of the ballot, I still think he's going to be a "who?" character for people that aren't in Smash speculation, given that's really the only place he's mentioned. So I don't think he'd cause a lot of widespread backlash if he doesn't get in. But I can't exactly say the same for vice versa. Not to discredit Geno, but he's definitely not on the level of other SE characters.

Now if someone like Sephiroth, Tifa, Crono, Neku, or Agnès gets in, more people will definitely recognize those characters thus receiving more fanfare from the general audience.
I mean the latter two, less so, but they still have more widespread and cross over appeal with Nintendo and JRPG fans than someone like Geno.
So it'll suck if they get their due, and Geno doesn't, but I think outside of speculation communities it wouldn't be recognized honestly.
It really comes down to if Sakurai can acknowledge a small diehard community or a much more massive audience. Usually he tries to do both if he can.
So don't lose hope despite what side of the fence you're on.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I am like 100% convinced that this was talked about at any time in the past in this thread, but what do you guys think are opportunities until Smash's release where we could learn about the remaining characters?
My theory is, that we can guess how many newcomers and echoes we will get with how many directs or other shows we get until the release.

I think the best timeline would be:

September Direct:
- Nintendo Online explanation (because it is way past the time to explain it to us)
- Releases in the year 2018 (Pokemon Let's Go advertisement, some Smash advertisement, Mario Party etc.)
- Maybe something for the already announced titles for 2019
My guess would be 1-2 newcomers and 1-3 echoes in this direct. I'm like 90% sure that we will get that one.

October Direct:
- New announcements for 2019
- Maybe more on Yoshi, Fire Emblem
- A Trailer for Metroid Prime 4
Not too sure about that direct, would give it a 50% chance because I hope Nintendo realizes that 2018 was a bit weak in terms of new releases. My guess would be 1 newcomer and two echoes for this one.

November/December Smash Fact Direct:
- Everything we do not know about Smash will be presented
- Maybe something about DLC in the future (I'm thinking something like the Mewtwo thing with Smash 4)
I am like 99.9% sure that this one will happen. It's just too good advertisement to not do it. In the best case we will get another 2-3 newcomers and 2-4 echoes here.

Maybe my timeline is a bit too much for three months considering we did get almost nothing in the last years. God, I miss the glory days when Nintendo did a direct every month.

I agree with the timing but i differ on what we might get a bit:

September: Nintendo Online info/Smash Online info (1-2 newcomer 1-3 echos, similar to the smash direct, maybe less characters but definitely not more)

My guess is we might get characters like Skull Kid/Isaac/Waddle Dee shown off here (mattering to whos in of course and probly only one or two shown). echos i'd guess Dixie (we got ridley at E3 then the dark samus echo next info drop, now we have gotten k rool... so it feels fitting to get shown a dixie echo here) other echos its hard to say but i'd expect a few more (isabelle perhaps).

October/early November: Something direct for Pokemon lets Go/Smash one player info on the story mode ("Spirits" mode) probably our pokemon newcomer will be shown here (to somewhat hype pokemon before the new game).

Again i think this is when we'll find out about our pokemon Newcomer and then possibly another newcomer character potentially someone like Elma or a Rhythm heaven rep...or it could be Isaac/Waddle Dee if any of them are in but weren't shown in that online direct, they could happen here also (only 1-2 newcomers total though and i'd guess 1 would be a pokemon). My guess would be if skull kid was shown off last time an impa echo will be shown here (i feel like this might be a pattern with echos, i suppose it could also be hilda but i'd guess impa>hilda for zelda echos). and then mattering to who we've seen at this point other likely echos could happen here (ken/shadow etc...)

late November/early December: Something right before the games release probably highlighting whatever is remaining in the game and giving us the final roster.

We may also get a smash Demo released during this, if it happens a week or two before release. Surprise "final" newcomer(s) could happen here, Geno or Banjo or both potentially or perhaps some other character that just hasnt been shown yet... and maybe if there are any echos left they'd be shown here too... However there might only be one or two characters revealed as a big finale (again geno or banjo is my guess), but who knows. they may also announce plans for DLC here or some official smash tournament or some sort of future events for smash ultimate or something... stuff to get us excited for the future of smash ultimate down the road right before release.

Example:
September online direct - Skull Kid/Isaac (Dixie,Isabelle,Ken echos)
late October early November pokemon direct/story mode direct- Gardevoir/Waddle Dee (Shadow,Gothitelle,Impa echos) [if you dont like the "gardevoir leak" go with incineroar and a black knight echo instead of gothitelle]
late November early December final direct- Rhythm Heaven rep/Geno (Banjo Kazooie shown as future DLC)

thats just an example and i can switch in and out a few characters and the timing of them and come up with several different looking example versions of what might happen so that isnt necessarily my full roster guess right now, just a possible one. This is however close to what i expect we'll get numbers wise for characters and when I think we'll see them.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
The leak is still being talked about? Dear god. Can we please get the gameplay so we can finally put an end to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom