• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Thats really interesting about the Dark Dawn updated website... could just be maintenance but the timing is certainly something of note.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Today, at near 3 in the morning, on August 19th, 2018. A solid 6 years after the game's release, only now do I just realize that Crash wasn't in Play Station All Stars.

Now I want him in just because of the disrespect. He was your OG plat-former mascot and you didn't put him in your "platform mascot fighter." Let Nintendo have em, Sakurai'll treat him right, he already did it with Megaman, bring dignity back to Crash.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Wait what? An 8 year old game's website is stirring up?
After 10 yrs of not being touched, the page for Isaac's most recent game on Nintendo UK was recently updated. Twice in the same week in fact, shortly following the Direct.
However:

Could be wrong, but I believe the Isaac thread concluded that the Dark Dawn page was one of many old random games that got their page updated by Nintendo last week in what seemed like routine maintenance.

Don’t think it means anything, as much as I wish otherwise.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I still thank @splat for the Boshi icon in my sig...
Yeah, sorry I couldn't make it for you myself. Technical difficulties meant it became impossible for me, by the time I solved them you had Splat's.

The one Splat gave you ended up looking pretty similar to what I would have made you, so it all works out. :laugh:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Today, at near 3 in the morning, on August 19th, 2018. A solid 6 years after the game's release, only now do I just realize that Crash wasn't in Play Station All Stars.

Now I want him in just because of the disrespect. He was your OG plat-former mascot and you didn't put him in your "platform mascot fighter." Let Nintendo have em, Sakurai'll treat him right, he already did it with Megaman, bring dignity back to Crash.
Playstation All-Stars barely had any all-stars from Playstation. Like, cool you put Parappa the Rapper but where's Cloud, Snake, and Lara Croft? Oh right, the first two are in Smash and Lara only made it in through her male half, Nathan Drake. (Not to mention Dante and Raiden who were no longer Playstation exclusives. Also using new Dante, blegh.)

But you know who's really a Playstation All-Star? Cole from Infamous. You know what? Let's put in Cole, TWICE.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Capcom has a lot of potential for newcomers in smash. They have soooo many IPs for a 3rd party publisher.

It actually kind of isn't surprising knowing the history of RE4 and Nintendo. I don't think they want to celebrate the time Capcom ****ed them over. I mean the whole ordeal apparently guaranteed no Capcom characters getting into Brawl. Who knows the relationship between Sakurai and Corporate when it comes to character selection though.
Eh,

May I remind you of a certain game called FFVII? Yet Cloud is in smash despite nintendo's history with FFVII.

Nintendo doesn't care about that kind of stuff.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
As if Square would give rights to an unknown developer for cloud to be in all stars battle royale

the other 3rd parties in all stars are purely product placement... and big daddy

also... out of all the 3rd parties in all stars battle royale Heihachi is like the only one who has major history with the playstation

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
May I remind you of a certain game called FFVII? Yet Cloud is in smash despite nintendo's history with FFVII.
Thing is I don't think Cloud and Leon are comparable. If you want the FACE of Final Fantasy, you're using Cloud, no two ways about it. No other character or game is even half as recognizable/popular in the franchise. Now when it comes down to Resident Evil, I'm pretty sure Jill or even Chris are more iconic to it than Leon has been. Though Leon is blowing up again thanks to RE2 Remake, and I'm happy for it.

Still though, despite the history, not using Cloud when you have the opportunity to would be silly, but I do think Nintendo holds grudges, and Leon might be victim to that.

Mind you, if Leon made it in, I'd be the first person celebrating in the streets.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Thing is I don't think Cloud and Leon are comparable. If you want the FACE of Final Fantasy, you're using Cloud, no two ways about it. No other character or game is even half as recognizable/popular in the franchise. Now when it comes down to Resident Evil, I'm pretty sure Jill or even Chris are more iconic to it than Leon has been. Though Leon is blowing up again thanks to RE2 Remake, and I'm happy for it.
I guess you are kinda right about the cloud part. I just have this mindset that if they were going for a RE character they'd choose Leon, just me personally. I feel like there's more potential with him without implementing guns.

Redfield is still my favorite RE character however.

Still though, despite the history, not using Cloud when you have the opportunity to would be silly, but I do think Nintendo holds grudges, and Leon might be victim to that.
If Nintendo held grudges as you are suggesting we would've never ever seen Sonic on a nintendo console.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
If Nintendo held grudges as you are suggesting we would've never ever seen Sonic on a nintendo console.
See that's just nintendo turning the corpse of their sworn enemy Sega into a nice rug for the living room.

In all seriousness though, I don't think Nintendo are (always) stupid, they won't deny themselves money for their pride. And I do think you're right. Were they to use a RE rep I'd put my money on Leon, I just don't think it's happening.

As far as Capcom goes they could use Ken Echo, Phoenix Wright, More Mega Man reps, Ghosts n Goblins, Monster Hunter, Ghost Trick, **** just give me NintendovCapcom already

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Releasing a competing product is not the same as actively screwing you over with a business deal.

Although personally I don’t think there’s any sort of grudge there. Capcom gave them enough leeway to violently kill Megaman on screen at the biggest gaming event on the planet. I think things are fine between them.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of Shadow vs Tails a while back, apart of me actually kind of expects Tails to get in as a totally original newcomer. Like, I won't be betting any money on it, but while Shadow has popularity behind him Tails has legacy. Way more people recognize the fox then the edgehog. This might be overstating it, but sometimes I feel like he's almost as much of a cultural icon as Sonic himself. And honestly, I kind of expect Sakurai himself to care more about Tails than about Sonic. I might be mistaken, but didn't he say he was a fan of the simplicity of classic Sonic games before?

In terms of moveset, I expect him to kind of like Luigi in that he's not really a clone but his moveset is clearly just a different take on their counterpart's. I can also imagine him using his tails a lot in his moveset, such as for a rapid jab or an U-air that's similar to Pit's. And of course, he'd have to have a totally unique recovery.

I still really expect Shadow to be an echo fighter of Shadow either way, especially since Echo fighters seem to be based on popularity so far. But if any 3rd party franchise is going to get a second completely unique character, it's going to be the Luigi to Sonic's Mario.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
On the topic of Shadow vs Tails a while back, apart of me actually kind of expects Tails to get in as a totally original newcomer. Like, I won't be betting any money on it, but while Shadow has popularity behind him Tails has legacy. Way more people recognize the fox then the edgehog. This might be overstating it, but sometimes I feel like he's almost as much of a cultural icon as Sonic himself. And honestly, I kind of expect Sakurai himself to care more about Tails than about Sonic. I might be mistaken, but didn't he say he was a fan of the simplicity of classic Sonic games before?

In terms of moveset, I expect him to kind of like Luigi in that he's not really a clone but his moveset is clearly just a different take on their counterpart's. I can also imagine him using his tails a lot in his moveset, such as for a rapid jab or an U-air that's similar to Pit's. And of course, he'd have to have a totally unique recovery.

I still really expect Shadow to be an echo fighter of Shadow either way, especially since Echo fighters seem to be based on popularity so far. But if any 3rd party franchise is going to get a second completely unique character, it's going to be the Luigi to Sonic's Mario.

tails was also part of that super old melee fake about sonic and tails being unlockable, pretty much the oldest smash fake thing i can recall, so it would be fitting to get him in smash finally.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I feel the same way. I actually kind of expect both.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thats really interesting about the Dark Dawn updated website... could just be maintenance but the timing is certainly something of note.
Interesting though why you'd do maintenance on a website you haven't touched for 8+ years is beyond me. Is it to install those new cookie laws the EU brought in?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Those guys from that one fan-made smash ultimate website tweeted this comparison of the 3rd party content in smash.

Konami is going strong!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Not to play Devil's advocate but Smash isn't exactly innocent of that either.
:ultdoc::ultmario:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
:ultsamus::ultzss:
and if we wanna be more technical

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

:ultzelda::ultsheik:
PSABR also has a roster smaller than Melee with all DLC installed and doesn’t include several characters that most would consider Sony’s answers to Mario or Link.

That said I think the two versions of John Infamous are completely different.

Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Playstation All-Stars barely had any all-stars from Playstation. Like, cool you put Parappa the Rapper but where's Cloud, Snake, and Lara Croft? Oh right, the first two are in Smash and Lara only made it in through her male half, Nathan Drake. (Not to mention Dante and Raiden who were no longer Playstation exclusives. Also using new Dante, blegh.)

But you know who's really a Playstation All-Star? Cole from Infamous. You know what? Let's put in Cole, TWICE.
Oh? You mean Coles echo fighter? :joyful:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
And tied with Capcom.
Not really. 3 playable fighters, 2 stages, 3 AT (they missed Grey Fox) and 1 item for Konami.
2 playable fighters, 2 stages, 2 AT and 0 items (the Galaga Boss is wrongly placed, since it is owned by Namco) for Capcom.

At least for now.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
It makes one think why they put the galaga in the capcom section :v
Not really. 3 playable fighters, 2 stages, 3 AT (they missed Grey Fox) and 1 item for Konami.
2 playable fighters, 2 stages, 2 AT and 0 items (the Galaga Boss is wrongly placed, since it is owned by Namco).
Don't hate the poster, hate the picture.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, does that prediction/"leak that Alax talks about in his most recent video include Richter?

So far he's the only character added that isn't "safe" (Well the Echos wouldn't have been safe before we knew about the concept but still)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Ken could be "simple" Ryu like how Lucina is simple Marth?
He could, but that would probably disappoint the street fighter fans. I grew up with Street Fighter and they simply could not have done Ryu better(aside from the upcoming auto-facing).
Ken is my favorite Street Fighter character. I’d be a tad bummed if he was simplified.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Although it was largely overlooked, Ryu is another character that had exactly one alternate color changed between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

These are his colors he can choose from in Smash 4:

9DC4C85A-880B-461E-B24A-4C976E1FF3A4.png

And these are the colors he can choose from in Smash Ultimate:

By comparing the two, we can see the one color that was removed was this one:

6373EF67-6F08-48D6-A17F-F08A8E7F53EA.jpeg

Now it’s important to note that this color is not at all directly based off of Ken, nor does it come that close to resembling his crimson red gi; in fact, it and all the other colors Ryu has available in Smash 4 are directly based off of the colors he could wear in Street Fighter 2, from what I remember. However, it is the color that most closely resembles Ken, and it is the only color that Ryu lost. By itself, I would say it’s far more of a stretch to use this as the basis to assume we would get Ken than it was to assume we would get Chrom or Dark Samus based on Ike’s and Samus’ color changes, but combined with Vergeben’s leak...

Last edited:

Demonslyer401

Smash Rookie
Those guys from that one fan-made smash ultimate website tweeted this comparison of the 3rd party content in smash.

Konami is going strong!
I made an account just to clear a common mistake people make Bayonetta is actually owned by PlatnumGames and NOT Sega

Upon further research the ownership of Bayonetta is owned by Sega

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Although it was largely overlooked, Ryu is another character that had exactly one alternate color changed between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

These are his colors he can choose from in Smash 4:

View attachment 158618

And these are the colors he can choose from in Smash Ultimate:

By comparing the two, we can see the one color that was removed was this one:

View attachment 158619

Now it’s important to note that this color is not at all directly based off of Ken, nor does it come that close to resembling his crimson red gi; in fact, it and all the other colors Ryu has available in Smash 4 are directly based off of the colors he could wear in Street Fighter 2, from what I remember. However, it is the color that most closely resembles Ken, and it is the only color that Ryu lost. By itself, I would say it’s far more of a stretch to use this as the basis to assume we would get Ken than it was to assume we would get Chrom or Dark Samus based on Ike’s and Samus’ color changes, but combined with Vergeben’s leak...
Dan confirmed.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I made an account just to clear a common mistake people make

Bayonetta is actually owned by PlatnumGames and NOT Sega
Really?

Platinum games is just a developer right? How would they own a character they haven't published?

Pretty sure the Bayonetta IP and the first Bayonetta game are owned by Sega. While Nintendo has the rights for Bayonetta 2 and 3.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of alt costumes, have we seen Claus yet?

I know we've see "The Masked Man" so that's that version out but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom