• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just want Guile as an Assist. He's definitely never gonna be playable, but he's somewhat big enough to have something to this degree.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Though they’re different, they’re both still Capcom (and both more than likely wanted Ryu more during Smash 4...before MM joined...and MM during Brawl...fortunately it doesn’t matter now that they got to have both represented). Also, I have the assumption Sakurai went to Capcom Japan for all theee series being represented
And he didn't go to Capcom USA at that point. It doesn't matter if they're still Capcom. He has to talk to two different physical companies to get content in. All Capcom USA content was DLC. All we can tell is he only was interested in Capcom Japan stuff before DLC. Once DLC hit, he had an idea for Ryu, and licensed him separately.

They're both Capcom reps, obviously, but he went to each company separately for different content. That's the point. He didn't get anything from Capcom USA before DLC. It means he clearly had more interest in MegaMan at that point. It's probably only because of moveset potential(as his mechanic was simply showing off all his various Robot Master moves, so kind of like what Mr. Game & Watch does). But maybe there's more reasons. Who knows.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sounds a lot like Ashley hooplah, no offense man. Just real deja vu I'm sensing here.
Well y'know

A little heavier than Ashely if you ask me but time will tell.

Question is why not just reveal her as an AT if she is one?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And people mocked Geno supporters because Geno only got a costume in Smash 4.

But seriously, we were able to get a Geno costume in Smash 4. Having the character reappear in the most popular Nintendo game after like 15 years of not being in anything.

I wasn't yelling and screaming at Sakurai for that. I sent him a thank you message. Probably in broken Japanese that didn't make any sense to him.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, I think Shadow and Ken are inevitable as Echoes and if we're REALLY lucky maybe Big Boss as a Snake Echo.

I just want to know if we'll get announcements next month with the launch of the online service. Because so far Smash has either been dead center of attention of the presentation like E3 or be it's own presentation like with the Direct. Like, would they really drop a lot of news in a regular direct? I'm not so sure. A Character trailer absolutely, but a couple of Echoes and a new mode as well? I dunno.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Question is why not just reveal her as an AT if she is one?
Why not even give Ashley a title card? Sakurai continues to boggle our mind.

We still have 10 Assists to go, and 10 more to deconfirm.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

The only Assists that got title cards in the direct were new ones with the exception of Grey Fox, who was absent in For, if I'm not mistaken. Don't think they highlighted any returning ones from For...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only Assists that got title cards in the direct were new ones with the exception of Grey Fox, who was absent in For, if I'm not mistaken. Don't think they highlighted any returning ones from For...
From what I've seen, they just specify some, and not specify others. Any that have been specified are now on the website. Others seen through regular gameplay but not showcased are not. The weirdest part is Waluigi got zero attention nor was in the demos since e3, only appearing on the website's item list at best. I'd have hoped he'd be seen in the demo at least, but I guess his A.I. is a bit more complicated than some? Then again, there is Ghirahim...

I'm actually waiting for my boi's series to get an AT because it's about time he got one...
Kamek could actually work well for it. Summon Kamek, then it flies across the stage with the magic dust and either makes you large or shrinks all your opponents.
Or those little guys (the toadies):

If they catch your opponent, they're grabbing / carrying him to the blast zone.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sounds a lot like Ashley hooplah, no offense man. Just real deja vu I'm sensing here.
Face of her franchise.

Owner of it's twitter.

Used to represent that it's in a crossover like Mario Kart on box art and not Villager.

Used to represent Animal Crossing in Nintendo Brand commercials.

Uhmm....

No hooplah here.

No if ands or buts.

Isabelle is a Nintendo all-star.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I could've sworn Waluigi got a title card. Could be wrong though.
SPEAKING OF ASSISTS, I'm about to blow your ****ing mind with a new tinfoil hat theory.

Untitled.png

Why would they specifically add (Mega Man) to the end of his name? Unless there's another Zero in the game somewhere...

New Spirits boss, anyone?

Untitled.png

Shroob

Sup?
SPEAKING OF ASSISTS, I'm about to blow your ****ing mind with a new tinfoil hat theory.

View attachment 158590

Why would they specifically add (Mega Man) to the end of his name? Unless there's another Zero in the game somewhere...

View attachment 158591
Possible.

Or it could be to just differentiate him from the Zero enemies from Metroid if trophies are back.

................Speaking of, why haven't we seen any mention of Trophies yet?

We haven't seen them at ALL, in ANYTHING.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think Shadow and Ken are inevitable as Echoes and if we're REALLY lucky maybe Big Boss as a Snake Echo.

I just want to know if we'll get announcements next month with the launch of the online service. Because so far Smash has either been dead center of attention of the presentation like E3 or be it's own presentation like with the Direct. Like, would they really drop a lot of news in a regular direct? I'm not so sure. A Character trailer absolutely, but a couple of Echoes and a new mode as well? I dunno.
I really hope the next direct isn't smash focused. as much as I love smash, I'm hoping Nintendo has something else to show off or announce this year besides smash related stuff. ANIMAL CROSSING FOR SWITCH PLEASE

Still i could see a character reveal trailer at the end of the direct, similar to Rosalina's or Inklings' were its sort of a fake out where you think their annoncing more stuff for a game, but it turns out its actually for smash.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Possible.

Or it could be to just differentiate him from the Zero enemies from Metroid if trophies are back.

Because they'd be just..... there? It's more something that could be announced alongside ANOTHER mode that has trophies as rewards...

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
What are you talking about? You starting to not make sense now honestly.

It COSTS money to produce movies; so Marvel did help pay for it BECAUSE they helped produce it.
Okay so you do know that Marvel helped produce the Spider Man movie homecoming and they did not get any of the profit. Your argument doesn't hold up anymore. HOMECOMING IS SONY. Sony financed it cause ITS their movie LOL. Marvel helped produce it but didn't receive any profit from it (Box Office). This is now off-topic but as I stand; nothing is free in life especially business deals LOL. Everything cost money to produce; the idea is to make a return on investment.
Sony paid 100% of the cost of Homecoming. This is well documented. Marvel may have produced the film, but it was on Sony's dollar.

Marvel paid nothing for the rights to use Spider-Man in the Avengers, because his presence in the films boosts the value of Sony's products. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. Spider-Man in the Avengers raises the value of the Avengers, and it raises the value of the Sony produced Spider-Man products.

It is only off-topic in that you want to argue specifics of the deal instead of seeing the comparison for what it is. Two big companies that did not cooperate for years finally putting aside their differences because of the mutually beneficial outcome of working together.

Banjo being in Smash raises the value of Banjo. Banjo being in Smash raises the value of Smash. An equally beneficial agreement is well within the realm of possibility.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Possible.

It may be revealed to be associated with the standard game gimmick mode to get trophies in. or maybe theres no trophies at aaallllll

But come on, don't tell me this wasn't a Top 5 banger in the game.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm actually waiting for my boi's series to get an AT because it's about time he got one...
The problem with Yoshi reps is that outside of Poochy, the big ones are all either Mario characters (Kamek, Shyguys) or have more popular blatant rip offs (Bowser Jr..the near literal copy/past of Baby Bowser..).
It would be cool to have Kamek though and have him recognized as a Yoshi rep.
Full disclosure, I never saw Ashley as a likely pick. I never really brought it up since I didn't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm just putting it out there. But the end of the day, Ashley is still a comparatively niche character. Isabelle is one of Nintendo's more mainstream characters. They're in completely different leagues.
I dunno..they made a TON of Ashley badges for the Badge Arcade and she has amongst the most character centric 3DS themes..almost more the Mario has themes just for himself..
I just want Guile as an Assist. He's definitely never gonna be playable, but he's somewhat big enough to have something to this degree.
I want Chun-Li...I know we ain't getting Cammy without an edit like Wreck It Ralph gave her or a T Rating lol

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The problem with Yoshi reps is that outside of Poochy, the big ones are all either Mario characters (Kamek, Shyguys) or have more popular blatant rip offs (Bowser Jr..the near literal copy/past of Baby Bowser..).
1. I wasn't talking about reps. I was talking about Assist Trophies.
2. It's not exactly fair to write off Yoshi because of the Mario connection...

StormC

Smash Hero
Bomberman and Sukapon for me was bittersweet.

On one hand, I didn't expect to see them at all and had a little moment of joy seeing them. But then I got bummed realizing I would have rather had them as characters
I didn't really feel this way about Sukapon because I figured the chance of him ever appearing again was next to nonexistent, but Bomberman has definitely been the most saddening of any of the Assist Trophy disconfirmations for me. I never figured Bomberman would be getting into Smash anytime soon, but my heart did stop a bit when he dropped from the sky in the Direct.

Next time...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It'd be hilarious if we got Kamek or Baby Bowser and they had the mushroom icon

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I dunno..they made a TON of Ashley badges for the Badge Arcade and she has amongst the most character centric 3DS themes..almost more the Mario has themes just for himself..

I want Chun-Li...I know we ain't getting Cammy without an edit like Wreck It Ralph gave her or a T Rating lol
The Badge Arcade was made by the developers of WarioWare, so I can see why they decided to push Ashley a lot.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I keep seeing DLC get mentioned. I know Sakurai said recently that he'd "keep making Smash games if the demand was there", but has he/Nintendo mentioned DLC at all?

That being said, I really hope we do get DLC. Third party payment would probably be easier and we could probably get Echo/costume packs.
Nothing's confirmed yet, but with how Nintendo has been supporting a lot of Switch games with DLC, plus the fact that Smash 4 got DLC, PLUS the fact that Nintendo is promoting Ultimate hardcore, it seems all but inevitable.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Here's my prediction.

Ken will be an Alph for Ryu.

And Evil Ryu will be the echo with violent Ken as an Alph.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
People are talking about characters they want, but look at how much we have already. 900 compositions. 103 stages. King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and Ridley. RIDLEY! We might even have Adventure Mode back. And I don't think we should expect too many new fighters, as we already have 9 new fighters(4 if you don't count echoes). I could see a few new fighters joining from now until release, but if you remeber that in the E3 presentation, Sakurai said "I hope you weren't expecting too many new challengers."
Who is the 9th fighter? Because we had 8 newcomers revealed so far

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

View attachment 158590

View attachment 158591
This reminds me of the theory that was really popular in the pre-release of Dragon Ball FighterZ. For those of you not in the know, when the game was first revealed, among the first batch of revealed characters were Super Saiyan Goku and Teen Gohan.

In the first demo, these two characters were just referred to as "Goku" and "Gohan" in menus and UI. But then as we got closer to release, people noticed that their in-game names were changed to "Goku (Super Saiyan)" and "Gohan (Teen)", leading people to believe that other forms of Goku and Gohan were coming to the game.

And lo and behold, eventually Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Adult Gohan were revealed to be playable.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You guys are talking about Isabelle again?

I only really find her as an echo honestly. Despite her popularity... what can she even do? She doesn’t do much in her games that can spawn an interesting moveset other than being your secretary and help make structures, but there really isn’t much that she can do unless if you’re willing to reach and have her spawn buildings or something.

Those are my thoughts.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
[

because honestly Sakurai probably just threw Ashley in there last second when the realized she was gaining popularity. They didn’t want to make fans wait and be even more disappointed. The segment was all new ones so I really doubt she was meant to be there originally.

View attachment 158590

View attachment 158591
This would be a pretty cool boss to see and could actually happen. Plus that music could be remixes and that’s always a plus

Wambo

Smash Ace
Ok, I don't like loz's opinions (not leaks) anymore...

lol

Neither Verge or Loz knew if K.Rool was even in the game, I'm not trusting Loz's opinion that Geno isn't in. That just sounds absurd at this point. Isaac I can understand since Sakurai doesn't acknowledge his existence at all, but GENO not being in when Ridley/K.Rool are?!

I'm still betting that Geno is another well-kept secret like K.Rool was.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
bruh didnt he just say that was his opinion tho or am i braindead tired and cant read
That's why I specified opions (not leaks)

I mentioned the other day he had good taste because of Nook and Dixie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom