• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well here's something different.

Even if they are echoes, :ultlucina::ultdarkpit: both have traits that make them unique from :ultmarth::ultpit:.

:ultlucina: has the lack of a tipper that affects everything.

:ultdarkpit: has a new final smash, the electroshock arm, different arrows and and a forward tilt that launches at a different angle (and there may be new ones, who knows).

My question is, what unique traits will :ultdaisy: have?

She's gotta have some gameplay difference, but what could they be? Did anything see anything in their trailer?

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
@ the Mimikyu subject
eh... I'd rather have another Pokemon over Mimikyu. yes yes, I know that Mimikyu is an entirely unique ghost Pokemon with its own unique personality and moveset potential, but I don't want another Pokemon that looks remotely like another yellow rodent. I'd rather have a Pokemon with a more visually unique design and not one that's derivative of Pikachu, disguise or not. Roster space is limited, and there are more visually distinct Pokemon that could provide an equally unique moveset: like Decidueye, or Lycanroc.

But I wouldn't be mad if Mimikyu was added. Another fighter is still another fighter, and Mimikyu would be pretty fun.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Even if they are echoes, :ultlucina::ultdarkpit: both have traits that make them unique from :ultmarth::ultpit:.

:ultdarkpit: has a new final smash, the electroshock arm, different arrows and and a forward tilt that launches at a different angle (and there may be new ones, who knows).

She's gotta have some gameplay difference, but what could they be? Did anything see anything in their trailer?
I feel like I remember someone saying that it looked like Daisy's side-b had a different knockback angle than Peach's.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, really.
Well atleast they kept Green Hill Zone I suppose

1. New Final Smash? I wouldn’t really call it new
2. As for Daisy...ignoring different animations she doesn’t seem to show unique traits yet (hopefully she gets a final smash that matches with her Mario Strikers finisher)
Lol fair enough. It’s can be quite annoying, but that’s partly why I love it so much
I usually love moving stages, but Land just doesn’t cut it for me

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like I remember someone saying that it looked like Daisy's side-b had a different knockback angle than Peach's.
Can you find information to support this statement?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said "humanoid" (seems to have rustled a bit, oops) and more "has visible arms and legs" lmao
But I mean, I can see it happening, with Mimikyu as quite a unique character. Thanks for answering my question, I've never really sat and thought about it before which is why I asked.
All good. I'm just happy someone asked. ^w^
But it's a valid argument?
While I mostly agree.....it kinda can be said about any character. The "I don't feeeeel it" doesn't add anything to any discussion at all.

I could say the same about Decidueye, even though I won't cause that would be dumb, but you know what I mean.

Nonhumanoid is fine I guess. There are plenty of examples against it but its pretty easy to assume that humanoid characters are easier to base movesets around than cloth in the shape of a Pikachu.

It could totally be done, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!

She'll have the only thing that matters...

HI IM DAISY

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That better not be a thing. I’m not a fan of TWO Green Hill Zones but at least bring back Windy Hill Zone.
If Sonic gets another stage, I hope it’s something from either Mania or Forces

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Mimikyu would all be cool. I don’t really have too much of a preference.

It’s probably going to come down to whoever the Pokémon Company/Sakurai thought would be the standout at the time of planning. Assuming one even gets in.

Do we know who they were pushing prior to release?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Having a better personality.
Just kidding, sorry, I have nothing to add. Hope her final smash is awesome, though.

The "I don't feeeeel it" doesn't add anything to any discussion at all.
That would kinda indicate that I wasn't trying to argue, yeah? My feelings on it were summed up to... literally just feelings on it, which is why I was asking for opinions instead of trying to argue about it hahaha so the point is kinda moot, I think

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I could definitely see them having different final smashes. Other than that they'll probably be identical tbh

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Something important to note with characters in Final Smashes, it's usually easier to add characters to them with rather simple designs, this is likely why the team probably didn't have a problem with characters such as Tom Nook, the Earthbound cast, and the Mega Man Legends. However with realistic human characters such as Dunban, because they only appear for such a short time detail is relatively low along with Riki likely to keep the game at steady pace, however with Chrom the model is very unique, having a very unusually high amount of detail, and sharing attributes with Marth, such as the filesize and model rig. But if for such a short sequence then why would the model be so detailed? What I'd like to think of this is that due to the evidence that has been found that Chrom was on the original project plan, I believe that the model was likely used as a starting point for the character, and Marth's attributes were likely copied over as a basis, with Sakurai describing the character as between Marth and Ike, before the character was dropped in favor of Robin getting more of the focus, and as a result I believe that the model may have been carried over into the Final Smash to compensate. Could be nothing, but it's definitely something to note.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Dismiss leaks all you want, but we all know the truth that Wurmple will be in the game.

Bayonetta's top-tier position will be dethroned soon enough.

D

Deleted member

While I mostly agree.....it kinda can be said about any character. The "I don't feeeeel it" doesn't add anything to any discussion at all.

I could say the same about Decidueye, even though I won't cause that would be dumb, but you know what I mean.

Nonhumanoid is fine I guess. There are plenty of examples against it but its pretty easy to assume that humanoid characters are easier to base movesets around than cloth in the shape of a Pikachu.

It could totally be done, though.
I've actually bothered to write an essay about it on RTC. While a lot of the things I wrote on that post may or may not have been influenced by my own negative bias, I feel that I made a pretty good point there.
On the same note, Mimikyu’s design doesn’t exactly scream fighter material. Like, I know Sakurai made movesets for unorthodox characters before, but something that everyone seemingly overlooks is that the only “small” Pokemon that ever got in on its own merits was Pikachu - Jigglypuff was an easy semi-clone of Kirby, while Squirtle (and Ivysaur, if you want to count him) was part of a gimmick, and that’s reflected in his moveset (watch RelaxAlax’s video on the Pokemon Trainer if you don’t understand what I mean). Every other Pokemon was bipedal, and I feel that’s because it’s much easier to visualize movesets for humanoid characters. Just look at Greninja - Sakurai made a quick moveset from him based on a concept art. I feel like that’s a major point against Mimikyu that many people overlook.
It's important to note that I was writing this post with a Greninja situation in mind, so the scenario was that of Sakurai having to base a moveset off of Mimikyu's concept art.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm starting to feel they won't reveal much new until whenever an actual direct happens. So i'm not sure if there's actually any kind of window either way right now. The soonest I'm expecting a direct is August. I think maybe if they were revealing some characters (Even if mostly obvious returnees) in between when the game was revealed in March and E3 I'd be more inclined to believe a character announcement is coming this month. But I'm kind of getting the feeling they're purposefully being tight-lipped about Newcomers most of the time on purpose.

Captain Toad could potentially still be in the game, they may just not decide to reveal him alongside the ports this time. I don't think they'll reveal a Captain Toad anything this week even as a stage or assist trophy if he's not playable either. If that's the case, it will lead to even more pessimism about him being playable, but would really neither confirm or deny anything regarding Captain Toad's chances. I would like to be wrong though, a confirmation of Captain Toad would be awesome. Or if he's not playable, just to get that over with so for those hoping for him can sigh in disappointment now rather it be another big part of the gloom that usually happens after a full roster reveal.
August seems likely for any new reveal I'm hoping for reasons of my own. As for Captain Toad, the ideas and moveset I've seen on this thread are pretty inventive and I wouldn't mind if he made it in. At any rate these still hope, his game is recent and relevant so there's that, but getting yourself anxious over your character won't help no matter how relatable it is believe me.
Kind of off topic but does anyone else just kinda want a demo for Ultimate to be out right now? Like, okay, I get they want their games to be at their most polished for demos, so people know exactly what they would be getting themselves into, but... I don't think releasing the E3 demo for Switch owners would be that bad of an idea.

To be honest, I think it would give us something better to do than argue about Echoes or rumors again for gosh knows how long. I know that might be a little harsh, but that's just me.
I think we'd all kill for a Hetap demo of this game, and they know it, but data mining's a thing sooooo.
Don't know if she'll get in or not, but she'd just be so fun to play. She'd translate well into Smash, and she's fun to play in her home series.
Chun-Li would be fun to play as but she's not my 1st Capcom pick. A close 3rd or even 2nd, but not my 1st.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies

I browsed the Daisy/peach boards and it doesn't look like they found anything? Daisy pulling turnips wasn't shown in her trailer so if anythings different it's probably that. (Plus stuff that can't be determined in such a short clip or pictures)

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
I was really hoping for a Studiopolis Zone stage, but I don't think that's happening anymore with Green Hill Zone returning.

I hope I'm wrong. But regardless, I hope they at least have the music.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Daisy swipes twice in her rainbow up-air rather than once.

We haven't seen enough of her yet tbh.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Having a better personality.
Just kidding, sorry, I have nothing to add. Hope her final smash is awesome, though.

That would kinda indicate that I wasn't trying to argue, yeah? My feelings on it were summed up to... literally just feelings on it, which is why I was asking for opinions instead of trying to argue about it hahaha so the point is kinda moot, I think
Thats why I didn't quote you. You aren't the first person to say that. I'm arguing the argument in general isn't very good.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone about it specifically.
I've actually bothered to write an essay about it on RTC. While a lot of the things I wrote on that post may or may not have been influenced by my own negative bias, I feel that I made a pretty good point there.

It's important to note that I was writing this post with a Greninja situation in mind, so the scenario was that of Sakurai having to base a moveset off of Mimikyu's concept art.
I agree. I don't think I've overlooked it myself, though. The argument is fine and logical and it is a point against Mimikyu, but realistically its a minor point at best.

Saying "Sakurai rarely has done nonhumanoid fighters" could just as easily be a point for Mimikyu as opposed to against it. Sakurai likes innovating. He likes surprising people. He asks himself what characters could add to the game before deciding on them and few characters could match the "uniqueness" Mimikyu could provide.

Yeah, he could be tired and not want to waste time on Mimikyu when Decidueye and Incineroar are easier and popular on their own right but who knows? He might just not like Mimikyu. He might love the little guy and be more willing to make him work.

Its all just theorycrafting at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom