• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Can confirm that game devs stalk online communities like hawks. For every game I've worked on, this has been the case, including Disney (Hey @Opossum lul).
You know, if it turned out any of us influenced the development of Smash in any way through our crazy discussions, that'd make me very happy. XD

Also, anyone who expects Simon Belmont because of Captain N (wanting is a different story) is delusional. There's basically no chance that the Japanese branch of Nintendo, particularly Sakurai, would have ever heard of it.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Real leaks are only gonna show up once everyone's tired of fake ones near the release of the game just like last time anyway.

Easier to go unnoticed and avoid risking your job.
We've had the full roster for a Smash game typically 3 - 4 months in advance.

ChaosZero's leak occurred in October 2007, 4 months befofre Brawl released.

The Ninka/Vaanrose leak was developing since prior to E3 2014, about 4 months before Smash 4 3DS came out.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Didn't the retro/wtf character addition start with SSB64, not Melee? I thought Captain Falcon would definitely fit that category. I guess he was more recent, but still...Not someone expected in a game for "Nintendo All Stars", right?
Captain Falcon, along with the rest of unlockable characters in Smash 64, were added because they could be based off of existing characters and reuse assets; Luigi was completely cloned from Mario, Jigglypuff was semi-cloned from Kirby, and Falcon and Ness were based off of Samus and Mario respectively with a few cloned moves/animations left over.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like Wario could've had a much more unique moveset, like maybe using some stuff from his Minigames? Like his forward tilt could be the push mini game?
At least I'm glad they put his shoulder bash back in. I'd be fine with his moveset remaining unchanged otherwise as long as they save such effort for adding anyone from his series.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We've had the full roster for a Smash game typically 3 - 4 months in advance.

ChaosZero's leak occurred in October 2007, 4 months befofre Brawl released.

The Ninka/Vaanrose leak was developing since prior to E3 2014, about 4 months before Smash 4 3DS came out.
And the ESRB leak occurred in August 2014, 2 months before Smash 3DS's release.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So, you people continue to debate on the ballot's influence on Smash, while you ignore what's really important:

Wario's godlike new vocals.
Seriously, if they did a voiced Adventure Mode, I'd be all for him having dialogue like this.
I never knew I wanted to listen to Wario's voice on repeat until now.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, any one who expects Simon Belmont because of Captain N (wanting is a different story) is delusional. There's basically no chance that the Japanese branch of Nintendo, particularly Sakurai would have ever heard of it.
Yeah.

Using the whole "have both halves of Metroidvania" thing is literally a million times better than Captain N for a reason to expect him.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Real leaks are only gonna show up once everyone's tired of fake ones near the release of the game just like last time anyway.

Easier to go unnoticed and avoid risking your job.
If the last major leaks for Melee, Brawl, and SSB4 are any indication, they'll be quickly dismissed because either 1. *insert popular characters here* didn't get in, 2. a weird or ambiguous translation error that makes them sound a lot more far-fetched than they actually are (examples: Roy mistaken as the Koopaling, ROB mistaken as ROB 64 from Star Fox and Bowser Jr being described as "Bowser Jr in a go-kart"), or 3. the post gets lambasted by virtually everyone but the leaker doesn't try to defend it too hard because they don't want to draw too much attention.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, if it turned out any of us influenced the development of Smash in any way through our crazy discussions, that'd make me very happy. XD

Also, anyone who expects Simon Belmont because of Captain N (wanting is a different story) is delusional. There's basically no chance that the Japanese branch of Nintendo, particularly Sakurai, would have ever heard of it.
Definitely. The first thing people want to do with Simon is reunite him with other NES icons, not re-enact some cartoon that's best left forgotten.

D

Deleted member

Another "leak." Kinda boring, but worth noting.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423164282
Not a character leak, but hey, this is just something I've heard. Assist Trophies and stuff, otherwise known as "**** You Don't Care About If You Turn Items Off."

Ashley is still an Assist.
Isaac's Assist was brought back from Brawl.

Rambi is a new Donkey Kong Assist. Acts like Gogoat mixed with Keldeo, almost, where you can ride him around but he'll swing his horn up to launch people.

Reinhardt is a new Fire Emblem Assist. He was added a bit later on due to his popularity in Heroes, from what I've heard. He rides in on horseback blasting people with electricity.

Midbus is also an Assist. The source didn't elaborate on what he did.

Not Assists, but I also know that two of the new Pokémon from Poké Balls are Comfey and Mimikyu.

RIP Ashley and Isaac fans, but Reinhardt as an assist trophy would be hilarious.
I mean it would suck if Isaac and Ashley are both disconfirmed but I almost want this to be real just for that Mimikyu disconfirmation

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Captain Falcon, along with the rest of unlockable characters in Smash 64, were added because they could be based off of existing characters and reuse assets; Luigi was completely cloned from Mario, Jigglypuff was semi-cloned from Kirby, and Falcon and Ness were based off of Samus and Mario respectively with a few cloned moves/animations left over.
Ooh, look at you. All cool and fancy with your "facts" and "verifiable evidence". I'll take my unreliable memory and conjecture based on my own personal bias and self taught views, thank you very much!

D

Deleted member

So it looks like people are sifting through hilariously awful 4Chan leaks. A classic pastime!!!
Its almost 2:00 AM over here.
I don't know what Im doing

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
At least I'm glad they put his shoulder bash back in. I'd be fine with his moveset remaining unchanged otherwise as long as they save such effort for adding anyone from his series.
I am happy with shoulder bash.
Imagine if his forward tilt was just where he pushes people, from the push minigame, that'd be hillarious.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
You have a lot of jobs!
Also you look nice with that guitar.
thank u

i gotta work on updating stuff some

If the last major leaks for Melee, Brawl, and SSB4 are any indication, they'll be quickly dismissed because either 1. *insert popular characters here* didn't get in, 2. a weird or ambiguous translation error that makes them sound a lot more far-fetched than they actually are (examples: ROB mistaken as ROB 64 from Star Fox and Bowser Jr being described as "Bowser Jr in a go-kart"), or 3. the post gets lambasted by virtually everyone but the leaker doesn't try to defend it too hard because they don't want to draw too much attention.
this. also I HIGHLY DOUBT we're going to get a full roster leak before they officially reveal at least one more character

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
>reimu on that leak
lol.
Oh that's Toho... huh...

Why not Sans? Hell why not Freddy?
Yeah, it's so ridiculous to think that if Sakurai was going to add an indie character to Smash for no reason other than "representation" that he'd pick the lead of the single biggest Indie franchise in all of Japan, one that's so huge it counts as its own genre at Comiket. Obviously that side character from that one random American game that wasn't even published in Japan until last year is much more likely.

Reimu has just as much a shot as Sans or Shovel Knight or any other Indie. Which is to say, none at all. But if you need an Indie rep for the sake of having an Indie rep, you pick the one with a fanbase bigger than several first party series already on the roster.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If I see that Daisy and Waddle Dee amiibo data thing again I'm going to scream.

That thing was "discovered" by memoryman, a massive troll, and even if it's true he said that thing was only good for Daisy, not Waddle Dee, because he was grouped with the Animal Crossing amiibo or something like that.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah, it's so ridiculous to think that if Sakurai was going to add an indie character to Smash for no reason other than "representation" that he'd pick the lead of the single biggest Indie franchise in all of Japan, one that's so huge it counts as its own genre at Comiket. Obviously that side character from that one random American game that wasn't even published in Japan until last year is much more likely.

Reimu has just as much a shot as Sans or Shovel Knight or any other Indie. Which is to say, none at all. But if you need an Indie rep for the sake of having an Indie rep, you pick the one with a fanbase bigger than several first party series already on the roster.
fyi, I'm actually a fan of the series (though not much of one) and have played most of the games. That said, 1. I'm agreed on no chance 2. third party characters don't work the way you think they do 3. Shovel Knight (or, anyone from wayforward for that matter) actually has connections with Nintendo and 4.

I lol'd because of the fact that since speculation for this game started, /v/'s been memeing their *** off about the idea of Reimu in Smash; it had nothing to do with her as a character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, I kind of see Mimikyu as a strong Pokéball candidate (sorry Murlough Murlough ). Mimikyu was probably expected to be popular, but he didn't get big tools (i.e. his unique Z Move) until the Ultra Games.

I can envision Mimikyu as sort of like a mobile Wobbuffet; he walks around, and if he gets hit, his Disguise breaks and his head recoils back and forth, damaging the one(s) who attacked him. He will stop in place for a bit, to repair his 'head', then start up again if he has time.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
While I will easily admit that Simon is not getting in because of Captain N and is more likely to get in just because of Castlevania. If he does get in because of Castlevania, I still expect an event match where you face Pit, Mega Man, And Simon with a name that can be seen as a Captain N pun like “The Game master”

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
2. third party characters don't work the way you think they do 3. Shovel Knight (or, anyone from wayforward for that matter) actually has connections with Nintendo
[/spoiler]
No, honestly, third party characters don't work they way you think they do. Cloud is the obvious example of that. Third Parties get in based on the strength of the IP, not because of any connections with Nintendo. The fact that most the other third parties do have a connection is really more just a testament to Nintendo as a brand.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Sakurai knows 99% of everything
Definitely. The first thing people want to do with Simon is reunite him with other NES icons, not re-enact some cartoon that's best left forgotten.
Not me, though of course I’m not into Castlevania

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You know, I kind of see Mimikyu as a strong Pokéball candidate (sorry Murlough Murlough ). Mimikyu was probably expected to be popular, but he didn't get big tools (i.e. his unique Z Move) until the Ultra Games.

I can envision Mimikyu as sort of like a mobile Wobbuffet; he walks around, and if he gets hit, his Disguise breaks and his head recoils back and forth, damaging the one(s) who attacked him. He will stop in place for a bit, to repair his 'head', then start up again if he has time.
You should be. I'll remember this come the Halloween reveal. :skull:

I'm not mad if that isn't clear.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just watch, we are going to have mineral-based echoes of all the characters.

Green Emerald Luigi
Tropical Topaz Donkey Kong
Dragon Jade Yoshi
Cool Sapphire Marth
Rose Quartz Zelda
Red Ruby Pokémon Trainer
Dark Onyx Meta-knight
Deep Silver Corrin
Lapis Lazuli Lucario
ROB
Don't think I didn't notice the Steven Universe references!:p

There is a possibility that Spring Man and Rex/Pyra won't make it at all during Smash Ultimate lifespan. DLC in Smash 4 was centered around returning veterans that people wanted back (veterans in general), promotion of a new game (Corrin) and just 3rd party characters (Cloud, Bayonetta, and Ryu). Look how well the fan-base received Corrin. I'm just saying that DLC characters are going to be characters that's going to sell well and should be wanted nevertheless or at least hype. Many people have already voiced that opinion of Spring-Man being one the most boring characters in Arms. I am expecting popular picks, or more 3rd Party.
I get what you mean, but the thing about Corrin was that he had so many things against him specifically that just don't really apply to Spring Man, so I can't really see the latter getting anymore criticism than what Roy got when he was confirmed through datamining. He'll be fine.

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Simon getting in because of the "influence" of Captain N and its sheer existence is obviously a dumb joke that isn't mean't to take it seriously; I respect Simon as an NES icon, and hopefully Sakurai uses his classic blonde barbarian look of the old Castlevania titles (1, 2, 3 & 4) over the red haired one in my opinion(Similar to how he used Pac-Man's classic design over the new look, which is just eh.)

KMDP

Smash Legend
You should be. I'll remember this come the Halloween reveal. :skull:

I'm not mad if that isn't clear.
"Murlough will remember that."
Oh no, my life is a Telltale Game! Nooooooo!
I didn't expect you to be mad, just sayin'. XD

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
No, honestly, third party characters don't work they way you think they do. Cloud is the obvious example of that. Third Parties get in based on the strength of the IP, not because of any connections with Nintendo. The fact that most the other third parties do have a connection is really more just a testament to Nintendo as a brand.
I'm referring to the part "if they were to pick an indie rep" which I don't really see them going down the line of thought of "Guys, we need an indie character!" Indie characters are a bit more than just that and aren't an inherently set company. If we were to get, say, Reimu, it wouldn't be because "let's put an Indie character" but it'd be because, say, ZUN decides to port his games over to the Switch or something else that starts it.

trust me I'm right there with you on Shovel Knight standing no shot in heck, and I don't think anyone's contact's are going to mean much (unlike lol snake in Brawl) but it's impossible to compare one third-party to another practically most of the time.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
"Murlough will remember that."
Oh no, my life is a Telltale Game! Nooooooo!
I didn't expect you to be mad, just sayin'. XD
Can't ever tell on here. :upsidedown:
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Lloyd Irving is confirmed to be playable in Ultimate?
"Who?"

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It was probably Samus and Ness.

The others had games on the N64.
I agree with Samus because her last game at the time was Super Metroid in 1994 and it didn't do too hot saleswise in Japan, a big reason the series went on an almost decade long hiatus afterwards. Based on this, I feel like she initially got in to be the "Chun Li" of Smash because 1. She repped her own franchise and 2. Peach, actual leading lady, would have made technically half of the starting roster Mario characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom