• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
the ballot probably told Sakurai a lot but it's not the end-all-be-all for character requests. Other places to keep in mind

-Nintendo browses a lot of places
-Nintendo also runs a lot of polls behind their characters
-Up until 4 months before Brawl came out in Japan, Nintendo actually had an official forum that monitored a lot of popularity in places people wouldn't quite expect
-The letters handed to Sakurai

just to get started and name a few.
Can confirm that game devs stalk online communities like hawks. For every game I've worked on, this has been the case, including Disney (Hey Opossum Opossum lul).

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
1.8 million votes is not "nothing." Come on son.

We're still waiting on that Zelda newcomer, by the way. Any day now...
So then what was the point of having it? If it means nothing then why make it a big event?
Its not that your vote meant nothing. Its that your vote didn't tell Sakurai something he already knew. I personally think the game is going to be filled with Fan demand characters but I also think there was too much bias in the ballot. I can garentee Ridley was not in the ballot because no one wanted to waste their vote on a character that was already in the game. No Zelda characters were on the ballot because they were AT. Simon wasnt on the ballot because of how Konomi has been running. But Sakurai knows the want for those characters are still out there. And while some guys like Bandanna Dee did pretty well on our ballots if you take out the bias we've added like no Ridley and such you will realize Dee didnt do as well. And thats where I think the ballot is sort of trash.

Think about it. do you think our votes told Sakurai Gannondorf should use a sword or that Ike shouldn't look like a gorilla? No, He got that from listening to us on a regular basis.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So, you people continue to debate on the ballot's influence on Smash, while you ignore what's really important:

Wario's godlike new vocals.
Seriously, if they did a voiced Adventure Mode, I'd be all for him having dialogue like this.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
So what do you guys think the chances are of an eshop demo any time soon?

Also, when do you guys think the next reveal is most likely?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So what do you guys think the chances are of am eshop demo any time soon?

A demo soon? Slim to none. I do think we'll get a demo eventually, but it'll come much closer to release like Smash 3DS' did.

I'm almost positive we're gonna get something new either this month, or early August.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I thought I heard somewhere that Sakurai mentioned he's considering making something like the E3 build a public demo. But I wouldn't expect it until at least a month before release.
I believe this was mentioned on the tree house, but im not entirely sure tbh.

StormC

Smash Hero
And while some guys like Bandanna Dee did pretty well on our ballots if you take out the bias we've added like no Ridley and such you will realize Dee didnt do as well.
Not sure what this means. I mean characters like Ridley are hard to pinpoint on the ballot because fairweathers didn't vote for him - he still had a presence on some polls but not significant. I'm sure he wasn't totally off the radar, top 15-20 or so seems feasible. Dee is harder to pinpoint in my opinion, but I feel pretty strongly about his Japanese popularity. If you go on 2ch he's easily one of the most talked about characters there, loads of fanart on Twitter, etc.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I thought I heard somewhere that Sakurai mentioned he's considering making something like the E3 build a public demo. But I wouldn't expect it until at least a month before release.
Yeah, Sakurai said something to that extent during the first Ultimate gameplay segment in the Treehouse on the first day of E3.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Its not that your vote meant nothing. Its that your vote didn't tell Sakurai something he already knew. I personally think the game is going to be filled with Fan demand characters but I also think there was too much bias in the ballot. I can garentee Ridley was not in the ballot because no one wanted to waste their vote on a character that was already in the game. No Zelda characters were on the ballot because they were AT. Simon wasnt on the ballot because of how Konomi has been running. But Sakurai knows the want for those characters are still out there. And while some guys like Bandanna Dee did pretty well on our ballots if you take out the bias we've added like no Ridley and such you will realize Dee didnt do as well. And thats where I think the ballot is sort of trash.
I don't really know how much you can really claim that people voted for characters that already had a role in the game. Especially if we have casuals in mind. Just look at all the people who feel Waluigi still has a chance even without DLC.

I know I voted for Inklings despite the fact they had mii costumes.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Can confirm that game devs stalk online communities like hawks. For every game I've worked on, this has been the case, including Disney (Hey Opossum Opossum lul).
I had a feeling. I know I would if I were in that circumstance. Having said that...

ATTENTION SMASH DEVELOPERS: Great character idea here ->
So what do you guys think the chances are of am eshop demo any time soon?

I know the Robin reveal was a mobnth aver E3 last round, so I'd expect there'll be something coming out soon. There are rumblings of a Nintendo Direct around the end of August, but I'd hope for something sooner than that. Nintendo usually doesn't talk about releases too far in advance except for their biggest games, so they'll need to give us info on the Fall/Winter 2018 lineup around August/September. Plus if the online service releases mis-September, they'd probably want to sell that before then.

People have also been saying that the site has almost gone through all of the new stuff confirmed since E3 and the treehouse, so we may start getting new developments in the Blog soon.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I believe this was mentioned on the tree house, but im not entirely sure tbh.
I found where he said it. On the first day of the treehouse, he said, quote:

"The characters you just saw were part of the E3 version, and I think this version of the game may become playable at a certain time."

Keep in mind, this is what his translator said, so this might not be exactly what Sakurai meant.

Pakky

Smash Hero
... Something just occurred to me.

Shadow and Metal are the same thing more or less...

But man do I like Metal so much more!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
the black cat from Wario Land 4 for smash ultimate:

It can... uh... it can like.... do cat stuff... and do like, like "meow"... and can fight duck hunt... because... is a cat... ok, i have nothing.
The cat was a queen IIRC so you never know.

On the topic of Wario Land though....
398px-WLSSyrup.png

I do wonder about the chances of Wario's frenemy Captain Syrup being added to the game in some way.
Also a Risky Boots echo

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Possible hints that Hilda is set to be an echo fighter of Zelda.

Hint # 1: Zelda's design in general - The first hint is just the fact that Sakurai chose A Link Between Worlds for Zelda's new design.

Hint #2: No Hilda Colors - The second hint is that, despite being inspired by her ALBW interpretation, Zelda does not have a color palette that references Hilda.

Hint #3: Zelda's new Kirby Hat - The third hint is that Kirby's Zelda hat is no longer Young Zelda's hat, but Zelda's hair, despite his Link hat still being Link's cap. This could possibly be to avoid confusion because there is no Young Hilda, so it would make more sense for the Zelda and Hilda hats to just be their hair.
1530824761350.png

Hint #4: Zelda's new personality - Part of why Zelda's flashy and energetic personality is so emphasized could be to contrast it with Hilda's completely opposite personality.

Hint #5: Zelda's new Final Smash - Zelda's new Final Smash (The Triforce of Wisdom) could partly have been chosen to better suit a Final Smash for Hilda, which would most likely be an upside down triforce of wisdom. It's also possible that Sheik's new Final Smash was made to better fit Impa.
1530824173786.jpeg

Just like the theories about Shadow and Dark Samus, all of this could mean absolutely nothing, but I think Hilda would make a lot of sense as an echo fighter, especially with Zelda's new design. I believe Hilda and Impa are going to be echoes and this will leave Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon with an equal amount of characters on the character select screen (8 with the addition of a Gen 7 Pokemon), which has been a series tradition with the past three games, with the exception of Super Mario having more in Melee and Smash 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So, you people continue to debate on the ballot's influence on Smash, while you ignore what's really important:

Seriously, if they did a voiced Adventure Mode, I'd be all for him having dialogue like this.
It's quite a treat. This game seems to surprise me in more ways than one, honestly.

Still, it's little weird to go back to Wario Land-games after this due how Wario's clearly shown to be living in a dead-end flat with little to no furniture and even food. Did his castle and previous accomplishments just go retconned out?

I wonder what happened to his pet chicken...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Oh yeah, playing the same character for about a couple decades will do wonders for their voice.

I had a feeling. I know I would if I were in that circumstance. Having said that...

ATTENTION SMASH DEVELOPERS: Great character idea here ->

I know the Robin reveal was a mobnth aver E3 last round, so I'd expect there'll be something coming out soon. There are rumblings of a Nintendo Direct around the end of August, but I'd hope for something sooner than that. Nintendo usually doesn't talk about releases too far in advance except for their biggest games, so they'll need to give us info on the Fall/Winter 2018 lineup around August/September. Plus if the online service releases mis-September, they'd probably want to sell that before then.

People have also been saying that the site has almost gone through all of the new stuff confirmed since E3 and the treehouse, so we may start getting new developments in the Blog soon.
I certainly hope so, it's getting tiring of watching for updates all the time.

Also, if getting a staffer's attention was that easy, I'd parade Shantae around in a heartbeat.
But then again, they must know of what I'm hoping for by now, so…

View attachment 151711
I do wonder about the chances of Wario's frenemy Captain Syrup being added to the game in some way.
Also a Risky Boots echo
Still hoping for it. Also, the best I'm hoping for in regards to Risky is as an AT.

It's quite a treat. This game seems to surprise me in more ways than one, honestly.

Still, it's little weird to go back to Wario Land-games after this due how Wario's clearly shown to be living in a dead-end flat with little to no furniture and even food. Did his castle and previous accomplishments just go retconned out?

In fairness, this entry seems like a redo of Wario Ware Mega Microgames' story, which would make sense given the compilation/best-of approach this takes.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If the devs really ARE watching this right now... Thanks for everything! Don't overwork yourselves and try not to take some childish complaints too seriously, you guys rock and I'm getting the game as an early birthday present this year!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Just like the theories about Shadow and Dark Samus, all of this could mean absolutely nothing, but I think Hilda would make a lot of sense as an echo fighter, especially with Zelda's new design. I believe Hilda and Impa are going to be echoes and this will leave Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon with an equal amount of characters on the character select screen (8 with the addition of a Gen 7 Pokemon), which has been a series tradition with the past three games, with the exception of Super Mario having more in Melee and Smash 4.
Alright then, nice! Now this is the type of content I'm talking about!

One thing:

As mentioned before, similar to Meta Ridley at least, it's possible that characters are getting more than eight costumes. It's all kinda up for speculative grabs, though.

Besides, that, awesome post!

Zeox

Smash Champion
It's Final Smash is turning into the Wario version of Princess Shokora and kissing the opponent

Real talk though, Shokora should 100% come back in the Mario spin-offs.
Agreed... but just not in her Wario form.
Also, I'm all in for a "Golden Pyramid" Wario stage, either inside:
Room123.jpg

Or outside:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Wario's just so greedy he doesn't cash in his treasures because it makes his place look nice

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

This **** stopped making sense the moment Wario said he was broke

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Man, this is incredible. You can tell Charles is having a blast actually being able to deliver full lines.

Pakky

Smash Hero

View attachment 151711
Also a Risky Boots echo

WHY ISN'T SHE USED MORE?

Like if there was ever a "dark" peach I would think it would be her.

She's great look at her!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Hint # 1: Zelda's design in general - The first hint is just the fact that Sakurai chose A Link Between Worlds for Zelda's new design.

Hint #2: No Hilda Colors - The second hint is that, despite being inspired by her ALBW interpretation, Zelda does not have a color palette that references Hilda.

Hint #3: Zelda's new Kirby Hat - The third hint is that Kirby's Zelda hat is no longer Young Zelda's hat, but Zelda's hair, despite his Link hat still being Link's cap. This could possibly be to avoid confusion because there is no Young Hilda, so it would make more sense for the Zelda and Hilda hats to just be their hair.
View attachment 151712

Hint #4: Zelda's new personality - Part of why Zelda's flashy and energetic personality is so emphasized could be to contrast it with Hilda's completely opposite personality.

Hint #5: Zelda's new Final Smash - Zelda's new Final Smash (The Triforce of Wisdom) could partly have been chosen to better suit a Final Smash for Hilda, which would most likely be an upside down triforce of wisdom. It's also possible that Sheik's new Final Smash was made to better fit Impa.
View attachment 151705

Very nice supporting evidence! Hilda wouldn't be the Number one Zelda Character I'd want, but I'm still all up for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom