• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I never intended to spread any misinformation and I always welcome being proven wrong. It has been a very long time since I read up about this and it does seem a lot of new evidence has come to light that alters the story to a great degree. My apologies for not refreshing myself on what has come to light.
Ah, no! I wasn't singling out anyone, or accusing anyone! I meant that people misremember things and then spread them, e.g., Sakurai said no clones! That sort of thing. No worries.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
As a fan of unlocking and achieving, I would honestly not mind if there was unlockable character costumes in this game, I feel it is very possible actually.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
It's here.

Today's Fighter
#01: Mario
Mario is an all-around fighter who uses his wide variety of techniques to respond to any situation. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, he shows up in his Wedding tux and his Builder outfit, and Cappy even makes an appearance!

I can't believe Mario is in the game.
Wow!
This is some shocking information. I honestly thought Mario was a goner! Thank goodness he's confirmed to be returning!
I really hope we actually get new information from pics of the day in the future, but it's looking more and more that pic of the day is reviewing all of the fighter videos until they are all done.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's here.

Today's Fighter
Mario is an all-around fighter who uses his wide variety of techniques to respond to any situation. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, he shows up in his Wedding tux and his Builder outfit, and Cappy even makes an appearance!

So it would appear we might have many days of Luigi's nose ahead of us as far as Fighter of the Day goes. I had hoped they would at least give us a little more information about something they do. Like a little tidbit about a change from the last game or something. They might still slip some new info into some of the characters, but it isn't going to be much. Can't wait to hear what they say about Pichu tho :p :ultpichu::ultpichu:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's here.

Today's Fighter

Man, I can't believed they brought him in! He was a big arcade hit in 1981 and 1983, glad they're going back to their roots.
He has his hammer, right?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Oh honey dripping badger!

There are going to be two months worth of the Smash Dojo Ultimate showing off character profiles already showcased.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Oh honey dripping badger!

There are going to be two months worth of the Smash Dojo Ultimate showing off character profiles already showcased.
Appears to be so.
Really unfortunate, because It doesn't appear we are getting new information until the next Nintendo direct if that's the case. Oh well.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wow!
This is some shocking information. I honestly thought Mario was a goner! Thank goodness he's confirmed to be returning!
I really hope we actually get new information from pics of the day in the future
We have more than 60 fighters and like 200 or more Items/Assist Trophies/Pokemon/Stages

They have enough stuff to show until the game is released.

I obviously think we will get new stuff, but not much tbh.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Since we're all wrapped up in these beautiful icons, are there any icons you really like that belong to a character you don't care to play?

I really like these ones but I have little-to-no intention of playing these more than the rare casual match.
:ultduckhunt::ultwolf:

I guess I could potentially play Wolf. I just don't intend to as it stands.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There's a leak on 4Chan claiming Travis Touchdown is in base game.

I raise you one even better:
Actual Smash Bros. leaker here. Figured I'd drop it out there since no-one will believe it anyway. Screencap this thread.

About a month before the game releases, they're going to announce two things at the same time. The first, is Dragonball FighterZ on Switch. Yes, it's really happening, people have asked for it enough at this point that Nintendo is wanting to appeal to fighting game fans on the Switch looking for something more challenging than ARMS but less complicated than other fighting games.

The second thing they will announce, is Freiza as the last third-party newcomer to the series. Sakurai loves picking unexpected characters (he was very aware of the desire for Ridley before Smash for Wii U and 3DS was announced but decided it was too obvious), and thinks that Freiza would be a more "exciting" and original choice over Goku. I heard a rumor that this may coincide with some actual Dragonball Z/Super announcement too but that might've just been office rumors, I can't actually confirm it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
For someone who claims isn't actively against Meowth, you sure are acting like it.

After all you did say you would react "venomously" if a new 1st Gen Pokémon got in Smash.

It seems to me that you see Meowth as an "1st Gen Pokémon" whereas I see Meowth as "the cat Pokémon from the anime".

My first exposure to Pokémon was the anime. I liked it. I talked about it with some friends in high school in the late 90s/early 00s. We loved talking about Team Rocket and how funny they were. Meowth quickly became my favorite Pokémon because of the anime. I don't care if it is weak in the Pokémon games or in the anime. I just liked the Pokémon itself. I love cats (I have 8) so I am biased towards Meowth. I like that Meowth is a talking cat Pokémon. I like that Meowth is a wisecrack.

I didn't even get Meowth in the games until LeafGreen -- my first Pokémon game was Gold but it didn't have Meowth in it like I thought (I picked Gold because I like gold and I like how Ho-Oh looks). My boyfriend knows I am a fan of Meowth. I made it no secret. He got me a Meowth plush and an Alolan Meowth in a Great Ball toy. He even got me a couple Meowth from Wonder Trade. I was so excited to finally get Meowth in that Magikarp Jump game. My boyfriend asked me if Meowth was in Pokken DX (I bought it 2 days ago) and I said no. I bought it because Decidueye is in it and I wanted to play as Decidueye in a fighting game since it's looking unlikely he would be playable in Smash.

I don't care if Meowth is an 1st Gen Pokémon. I don't care if Meowth is a Normal-type Pokémon. I don't care if Meowth is just a plain old cat. I like Meowth because it is Meowth. That's why I am a staunch supporter of Meowth being playable in Smash since pre-Melee. I will always be on Meowth's side.

Reading. Compehension. Roger asked "if a Gen 1 mon got in AND no new Gen 7 mon did, how would people react?" If THAT happened I would react venomously. If Meowth and Lycanroc got in I wouldn't be angry in the slightest. If Meowth gets in great, just don't blow off another gen to do it.

I see Meowth as a Gen 1 mon because he's a gen 1 mon. This is a fact. I don't really have anything else to say about this other than I stopped watching the anime in Gen 3.

Dude....its great you love Meowth, as I already said I genuinely have no hate towards him. Interpret what I've said however you like but its a fact that I don't hate Meowth. I hate Genwunners and Gen 1 pandering. Having a 10:1 ration for Gen1:Every other Gen, as a Pokemon fan, infuriates me. That doesn't mean I hate every gen 1 mon or person who likes Gen 1.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They could've just said he was in the game. Text-based leaks are so trashy. :4darkpit: "My sources said" this, "my sources say" that, I don't wanna hear from some dude with a wacky username, I want the actual sources to come out. They're already speaking anonymously and making it go through another anonymous user, it's not like they're gonna be tracked down. How do they even get these leaks, do they just ask some dude who's the Tom Holland of the gaming industry and spills the beans every time?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
There is no issue. This is just another legal thing that Smash fans have no idea about. These guys attempted to make a Pac-Man clone, rename it "Ms. Pac-Man" to skirt copyright issues. It didn't, and Namco took them and Midway, their publisher, to court. Now Namco owns Ms. Pac-Man entirely, because the character was not sufficiently different enough to legally distinguish itself as a unique IP.
Not that the crux of this is incorrect, but per one of the devs' GDC talk on the making of Ms. Pac-Man, GCC had a finished mod of Pac-Man called "Crazy Otto" that as a result of a settlement with Atari over a previous mod they made of Missile Command, they had to get express permission from Midway to be able to publish. As a result, GCC ended up working with Midway to finish the mod, reskinning it as the "Ms. Pac-Man" we know now; the game's code is at least partially owned by GCC, but the character is definitely Namco property.

All that's to say, Ms. Pac-Man shouldn't have any legal red tape (above whatever goes into any other third-party representation), and I'd love to see her represented as an Echo/alt.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So I just found out that on Boxing Ring, the Ice Climbers' "stage name" is "Bone-Chilling Duo."

I wonder what the names for Pichu, Young Link, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Wolf, Inklings, and Ridley are?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it
This is gonna be kinda boring, considering they're in my sig already, but...
:ultmewtwo: Loyalty main since Melee, fits my playstyle damn near perfectly, no further explanation needed.
:ultgnw: One of my secondaries from Smash 4, I just love how he moves and how janky his overall toolkit is. I also love how wacky he is with his frame-by-frame movement and overall quirky personality, so he's a truly unique fighter that I don't intend on dropping.
:ultgreninja: I only got into this bloke a couple of months ago after thinking about using him for years, and turns out, he's super fun! He looks basically unchanged in Ultimate (outside of losing the overly complicated footstool combos, which I could've gone without anyway), so I'll definitely be sticking with him this game.
:ultpokemontrainer: I'm just now realizing how much I missed out by basically never touching this character back in Brawl (or maybe I wasn't, considering how bad he was back then). Squirtle in particular looks super fun with how fast and strong he is, Ivysaur looks like fun as well with its long-ranged vine whips and beefy bulb attacks, and Charizard could be fun as well, even if I didn't like using him in Smash 4 - and if he isn't, well, it's not like there's anything forcing me to switch off of Squirtle/Ivysaur anymore.
:ultinkling: They look really fun, and if they're truly as quick and mobile in the final release as they look in the demo, then they'll be just my speed! They also have an interesting gimmick with the ink, and I do love unique fighters.

And, of course, if Geno gets in, I'm swapping Inkling out for him. Nothing against the squidkid, but Geno's an insta-main for me as he's the only character I've ever really wanted in Smash since I first played SMRPG. It'll be hard relegating Mewtwo to a secondary slot, but for Geno, I think I'd do it.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hope that's you smiling with joy that Travis is in the game :)
It's not.

He's one of the least likely characters of all characters. So the fact he'd even be considered is laughable let alone being in the base game.

But more power to you for liking him and keep supporting him. Maybe if there's a ballot for this one you guys can win it like Bayonetta did hers.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I just found out that on Boxing Ring, the Ice Climbers' "stage name" is "Bone-Chilling Duo."

I wonder what the names for Pichu, Young Link, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Wolf, Inklings, and Ridley are?
:ultridley:The Biggest Baddie

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

If Ridley isn't "The cunning God of Death" I will be sad

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Today's Smash Blog Post

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, the most curious question of them all: Will we finally have four taunts? :4diddy:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Today's Smash Blog Post

So are all the blog posts gonna just reiterating what they said at E3?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So are all the blog posts gonna just reiterating what they said at E3?
We got over two months worth of E3 posting, not unless they wanna include the stages, in which case they could probably buy enough space until the game even comes out.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, the most curious question of them all: Will we finally have four taunts? :4diddy:
God, I hope so. Forward and back taunts would be so easy.

I'm still waiting on my Guile taunts like putting on and taking off shades.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I gotta say I absolutely love how this game is representing a LOT of the Zelda games with its individual designs of its characters.
Breath of the Wild:

Twilight Princess/Breath of the Wild:

A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds:

Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask:

Ocarina of Time:

Wind Waker/Minish Cap/Four Swords/Four Swords Adventure/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks/Tri-Force Heroes:
Really makes me hope Impa is in and that she uses her Skyward Sword design. I love this so much. That is how you pay respect to your Franchises legacy right there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom