• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
so how many new characters can we really suspect ? we only going to get 2-4 this go around, if so it be hard to see this game as more as a greatest hits ( which is good in it's own right ridley)

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
Bold statements right here.
:061:
I made bold statements indeed but those are my beliefs. (FYI i call something a shoe-in not when it's almost certain, but when it makes so much sense that it seems odd not to do it. I guess there are better ways I could've described it though.) Nevertheless i honestly think Marx and Ban Dee are still very likely.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Okay, While fans love this concept of adding villains. It's pretty clear that Sakurai doesn't care about that, so being a villain has no effect on his chances.
Doubt Marx was in much demand, either. It's a recent boost due to Star Allies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Team Rocket were the central antagonists of the anime series, and Meowth is the closest we have.
You mean "was" and "had." Plenty more Pokemon have been shown to be consistent rivals with Pikachu. Mostly, Raichu even though I'm sure almost no one wants another luigified Pikachu. Meowth pales in comparison when it comes to "rivalry."

Also, I feel we have more than enough Gen 1 in Smash as is with the return of Pokemon Trainer. I'm not actively against Meowth but no one can argue that Gen 1 isn't already extremely prevelent now

Last edited:
I made bold statements indeed but those are my beliefs. (FYI i call something a shoe-in not when it's almost certain, but when it makes so much sense that it seems odd not to do it. I guess there are better ways I could've described it though.) Nevertheless i honestly think Marx and Ban Dee are still very likely.
I cant really see Marx as a character that seems odd not to be in. I try not to detract but. . .A minor character only a villain in one game (which had like 6 villains because it was sub-games!) who has had one major cameo appearance (which like 10 other characters are getting, mind you) since the DS doesnt seem like a character that NEEDS to be in the game to me

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How can you describe a character as a "shoe-in" after they failed the last time you called them a "shoe-in"? That's like how Arlo described Waluigi as inevitable, after he failed four times (five now).

I could understand if Waddle Dee was in a different circumstance this time, but nothing has changed since the last time people said he was a shoe-in. Prior to Smash 4, he was the fourth playable character in Return to Dreamland. And now his most recent role is the exact same thing: The fourth playable character in Kirby Star Allies.

He had a few games in between where he threw items at you and some games where he was Kirby's buddy, but I don't think characters get added just for being best friends with the main character. It's not like Kirby's gonna vouch for him.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
CEO will be having the smash demo available at the Nintendo booth! I wonder what footage we will see from players this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

so how many new characters can we really suspect ? we only going to get 2-4 this go around, if so it be hard to see this game as more as a greatest hits ( which is good in it's own right ridley)
Vergeben said he knows there are at least a half dozen newcomers yet to be revealed, including Simon. Whether or not these are all unique or if there's an echo fighter or two mixed in he doesn't know. On top of that I'd wager there'd be 1 or 2 secret characters that won't be revealed so I'm going to guess we get 11 total: 3 echoes, 8 unique fighters. That number includes Inkling, Ridley, and Daisy.

That is of course if you believe all of Vergeben's information. I don't see too much of a reason to start bringing his credibility into question at this point, but there's still a chance he's wrong on some things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
One thing I would love to see on this game is a good cinematic intro like Melee's. I think the one from Smash 4 was lazy. Melee's is amazing, 64's is well done and Brawl's has the best theme ever and the SEE cinematics are more cohesive.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Wolf had great recovery options with Wolf Flash and Fire Wolf, but his biggest fault was that he could never grab the damn ledge. Countless times I've fallen right past ledges I was touching.

As for combos, it depends. Game still has a few more months of development time, used to polish and balance. Can't say anything until the game comes out.
Yes, my mistake that's what I meant it was so hard to grab the ledge, well since they seem to be removing the Side Special free fall nerf, things should be easier for him.
Everytime a person says the word ''bias" in this community, a puppy and a kitty die.

Please think of the puppies and kitties.
*Obligatory 'In The Arms of An Angel song'*

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
How would people react to a Team Rocket character getting in instead of any of the Gen 7 reps?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Um, I watched most of the gen 1 anime and while it is pretty fuzzy in my head, Pikachu and Meowth were never rivals.

Meowth hasn't been a threat at least since Gen 1 and even that may not be harsh enough. Pikachu has always been stronger than it. Rivalry implies threat or challenge. Meowth has never been either unless you want to count those machines at the end of each episode. (I don't)

Also I'm not saying this as a Mimikyu supporter. I'm just saying I've never thought of Meowth as a rival to Pikachu.
Tomayto, tomahto.

This episode was the closest thing we have to a Super Smash Bros. match between Pikachu and Meowth in the anime. It even has stage hazards! That's what I want in an official Super Smash Bros. game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also please think of the kitties and puppies again.

They also die when you say ''shoe-in" instead of ''shoo-in."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Did some more digging around 5ch. The results were much more in line with normal expectations, I don't think that list I posted is too accurate, lol.

Lots of K. Rool and Rex. ARMS (Spring-Man and Min Min, mostly) and Simon (due to the leak) are frequent as well. Bandana Dee, Dixie, Steve and Banjo get brought up a notable amount. Isaac and Geno get brought up here and there, though people don't expect them. Some expect a new FE character (no specific standout). Surprisingly, not a ton of Ashley.

They also go on and on about possible Echo Fighters, so I guess you clowns are in good company. :rolleyes:

The main difference seems to be their requests for characters like Rayman and Crash (and other western third-parties) have mostly been usurped by anime and manga characters. They love those guys. The exception seems to be a Microsoft character. Almost no talk of indie characters.

Keep in mind this is only one site, still interesting though.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Isn't it weird how Sakurai added so many little details like Fiora, Paula, Poo, Kumatora and Boney and all that stuff, but didn't add Bandana Dee cheering for King Dedede in his Final Smash like in Kirby Super Star Ultra?

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
I cant really see Marx as a character that seems odd not to be in. I try not to detract but. . .A minor character only a villain in one game (which had like 6 villains because it was sub-games!) who has had one major cameo appearance (which like 10 other characters are getting, mind you) since the DS doesnt seem like a character that NEEDS to be in the game to me
It's the combination of demand compared to the other Star Allies cast and the unique moveset compared to the others more than anything. I'll rephrase what I said, he doesn't NEED to be in the game (nobody really NEEDS to TBH), but he does seem like one of the most interesting, likely and creative choices for a DLC pick, and Sakurai does like interesting and creative characters.
How can you describe a character as a "shoe-in" after they failed the last time you called them a "shoe-in"? That's like how Arlo described Waluigi as inevitable, after he failed four times (five now).

I could understand if Waddle Dee was in a different circumstance this time, but nothing has changed since the last time people said he was a shoe-in. Prior to Smash 4, he was the fourth playable character in Return to Dreamland. And now his most recent role is the exact same thing: The fourth playable character in Kirby Star Allies.

He had a few games in between where he threw items at you and some games where he was Kirby's buddy, but I don't think characters get added just for being best friends with the main character. It's not like Kirby's gonna vouch for him.
I never called Bandanna Dee a shoe-in for Smash For, only for this game. I didn't even think he was gonna happen in Smash For days (he only had one major appearance and a couple of minor ones then). The only reason i see him as so likely now is the fact that Smash Ultimate seems to be picking from fan requests (more specifically the Ballot), heck we only got Ridley due to fan requests. Bandanna Dee is in a similar boat to King K Rool, fan demand for them is so high that in a (seemingly) fan demand based game it seems odd not to include them... then again we aren't gonna get Waluigi... so maybe this point isn't so solid. Nevertheless i can see it going either way, but i'm heavily leaning towards Ban Dee this game.

Last edited:
Isn't it weird how Sakurai added so many little details like Fiora, Paula, Poo, Kumatora and Boney and all that stuff, but didn't add Bandana Dee cheering for King Dedede in his Final Smash like in Kirby Super Star Ultra?
yeah but most of those things are in the focus

Dee would be in the background, and far less likely to be noticed . . . especially with all the different camera angles.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How would people react to a Team Rocket character getting in instead of any of the Gen 7 reps?
Splash screen reads "Team Rocket want to fight!"

If that actually happened, I will be beyond hyped.

The hype train cannot be stopped.
1529371955563.png

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
While it's not super peculiar since he would be very hard to notice with all the camera angles, it does add a small slither of extra weight to Ban Dee getting in.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Vergeben said he knows there are at least a half dozen newcomers yet to be revealed, including Simon. Whether or not these are all unique or if there's an echo fighter or two mixed in he doesn't know. On top of that I'd wager there'd be 1 or 2 secret characters that won't be revealed so I'm going to guess we get 11 total: 3 echoes, 8 unique fighters. That number includes Inkling, Ridley, and Daisy.

That is of course if you believe all of Vergeben's information. I don't see too much of a reason to start bringing his credibility into question at this point, but there's still a chance he's wrong on some things.
so around 6

monadoboy

Smash Lord
For real, Anthony Higgs was the only redeeming story element of Other M.
The rest of the story arc either doesn't make sense chronologically or is poorly written.
But the way Anthony Higgs was handled was pretty good, and he's one of the few prominent African american Nintendo characters in general.
I hope Other M's reception doesn't prevent him from reappearing in future metroid titles.
If Smash 4 based everything off Other M, and Samus carried over to Ultimate, I wouldn't worry about Anthony not appearing.
Metroid getting a non-Prime, non-remake game seems like a bigger worry. It's been 16 years since Fusion, which ended in a kind off cliffhanger, iirc, it's been a long time since I've played it.

Speaking of PoC Nintendo characters, Samuel L. Jackson Basilio needs to get his big brown Feroxi **** in Heroes already.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Somewhere between 2 and 27.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Ashley also fits a lot of popular newcomer wants and speculatives in terms of trailer partners.

You can partner her with Mimikyu.
You can partner her with Shadow.
You can partner her with Geno.

She really does make a good reveal partner for anyone with a magic/fantasy element or a dark supernatural element.
Give me Lip/Ashley partner trailer.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
It's pretty crazy to me that of all the Pokemon in Smash we have 7 from Gen 1-2 and 2 from Gen 3-7.

Due to that, I really would like at least one Pokemon newcomer from a more recent game. Buzzwole, Mimikyu and Lycanroc are my faves.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
So just for fun, if each represented franchise were to get one more representative, who would you pick?

Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: King K Rool
Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Dark Samus
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokemon: Decidueye
F-zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound/Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Chrom
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Pikmin: Alph (own character)
Animal Crossing: Tom Noom
Punch Out: King Hippo
Xenoblade: Rex
Metal Gear: Gray Fox
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-man
Street Fighter: Blanka
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: Rodin
Splatoon: Octolings

I left out a few franchises that didn't really have other characters.
:ultmario:Series: Captain Toad
:ultdk:Series: King K. Rool
:ultlink: Series: Impa (Sheik Echo)
:ultsamus: Series: Sylux
:ultyoshi: Series: Baby Mario (*Super Cape Form)
:ultkirby: Series: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultfox: Series: Slippy (*Peppy in his Final Smash)
:ultpikachu: Series: Decidueye
:ultness: Series: Ninten (Ness Echo; *Ana/Lloyd in his Final Smash)
:ultfalcon: Series: Blood Falcon (C. Falcon Echo)
:ultmarth: Series: New FE Three Houses Protagonist (Byleth)
:ultpit: Series: Medusa
:ultwario: N/A
:ultvillager: N/A
:ultolimar: N/A
:ultwiifittrainer: N/A
:ultgnw: N/A
:ultduckhunt: N/A
:ultrob: N/A
:ultshulk: Series: Rex & Pyra
:ultlittlemac: N/A
:ultpacman: N/A (Ms. PAC-MAN Alt.)
:ultmegaman: Series: Dr. Wily
:ultryu: Series: Ken (Ryu Echo)
:ultsnake: Series: Big Boss
:ultsonic: Series: Dr. Eggman
:ultcloud: Series: Sephiroth
:ulticeclimbers: N/A
:ultbayonetta: Series: Jeanne (Bayo. Echo)
:ultinkling: N/A
:ultmiifighters: N/A

*Didnt include characters who are assist trophies to make it harder in choosing interesting choices.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Venomously. I had to sit through enough Gen 1 milking for a lifetime. If I had to chew on them putting more Gen 1 in Smash and ignoring Gen 7 I would be livid.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of PoC Nintendo characters, Samuel L. Jackson Basilio needs to get his big brown Feroxi **** in Heroes already.
They do look like twins tbh
Oh boy..... I live somewhat close to here.
I'm ready to wait hours in a line to play Ridley
Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom