• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
There are quite a lot of things I want for the Nintendo Switch.

Characters I want back:
- Pichu
- Ice Climbers
- Wolf
- Ivysaur (without Pokémon Trainer)
- Squirtle (without Pokémon Trainer)
- Snake (though he is dead now, due to accelerated aging in "Metal Gear Solid 4")

I do not see Young Link coming back because he was replaced by Toon Link.

----------

Newcomers I want:
- Dixie Kong
- King K. Rool (pronounced Cruel)

I cannot think of many more right now.

All DLC characters from the Nintendo Wii U version should be available right away, like in "Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3" for the PlayStation 4.

----------

Other things I want:
- Top KO randomness fixed with options (even if they're not truly random)
- Fight balancing (fixed untechable random spin animation at 100% damage or more)
- Star KO voice clips for Villager ("Mario Kart 8 [Deluxe]", hit by an item perhaps?), Mega Man ("Mega Man 8", dying sound) and Pac-Man ("Pac-Man" arcade, dying sound effect)
- Rage options and factor on Training Mode
- Crowd cheers quality improved, and chant 8 times instead of 3 (100% damage or more)
- Better online (fixed online rudeness/rage quitting, and opponent picking options)

For the top KOs, here are the options I'm thinking of:
- Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (on-stage only)
- Star KOs only (on-stage only)
- Screen KOs only (on-stage only)
- Star KOs/Screen KOs (except last stocks)
- Star KOs only (except last stocks)
- Screen KOs only (except last stocks)
- Random

For the Rage mechanic, here are the options I'm thinking of:
- Rage on or off
- #0. Extremely low Rage (100% damage to 150% damage)
- #1. Very low Rage (90% damage to 150% damage)
- #2. Low Rage (80% damage to 150% damage)
- #3. Fairly low Rage (70% damage to 150% damage)
- #4. Slightly low Rage (60% damage to 150% damage)
- #5. Medium Rage (50% damage to 150% damage)
- #6. Slightly high Rage (40% damage to 150 damage)
- #7. Fairly high Rage (30% damage to 150% damage)
- #8. High Rage (20% damage to 150% damage)
- #9. Very high Rage (10% damage to 150% damage)
- #10. Extremely high Rage (0% damage to 150% damage)

----------

New things I want to be added:
- Smash Gauge

Let's face it, Final Smashes are NEVER performed in competitive play (which is very sad) because the Smash Ball is required to perform them. Smash Ball is an item, and items are not allowed in competitive play. Plus, it distracts players playing competitively, unless it's casual.

Here are the links to where I got the idea from:
http://smashbrosbattleroyale.wikia.com/wiki/Smash_Gauge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Te5HIcvVA

Of course, if that feature were to be added, there should be an option to turn it on or off. Same with the Smash Ball (for casuals).

-

These are what I want. Does anybody agree?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will say that some Final Smashes need to be worked on, as they're on the underwhelming side of the scale. One of the biggest offenders is Giga Bowser, where despite his huge size, he doesn't come close to rivaling a 1.7x size Bowser's attack power. Combine that with an 8 second timer, and the odds of you getting even 1 KO with Giga Bowser are not very good.

To give people an idea on how to make Giga Bowser a more effective Final Smash, you could always refer to my Giga Bowser modifications for Smash Wii U, and I even replicated the edits onto Brawl Giga Bowser.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j0NIdzFGCHZWWy9kNfUEZaDk6TOY6ra-6qPzxhsmFQo/edit

Note: EF3E3778 is the attack data for Giga Bowser's Fire Breath. I left that alone, along with the cliff attack, but included them on the table anyway.

D

Deleted member

I don't really support Impa any more unless it's Hyrule Warriors Impa. She's old again in BotW, and looks like she has no important role like in Skyward Sword which is a disappointment. I was hoping to see more SS Impa styled character development for her, but that stopped in HW. Breath of the Wild MIGHT have a young Impa again in the '100 years a go' scenario, but as of now I'm not expecting it. She's just Kakariko Village's old hag who knows a thing or two. Not Goddess Hylia's Chosen Warrior to protect her mortal form and first guardian of the Triforce.

As a matter of fact, I expect the same Zelda roster as we had in previous games maybe with some updates to Ganondorf and Toon Link.
......who are you and what have you done with Diddy Kong?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah buck up Diddy Kong Diddy Kong

Impa's character goes back and forth all the time.

This isn't an end to her chances.

If anything, constant reappearances that are plot relevant could help her.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Jesus Christ, people. Just leave Diddy Kong alone. It's just common sense to have the idea that he's not the only one who's changed ever since last speculation.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
D

Deleted member

It was funny though.

You gotta realize Diddy Kong Diddy Kong and @GoldenYuiitusin have a bit of a bash brothers thing going on.

They make jabs at each other all the time, but they don't dislike each other or anything.

Just friendly teasing.
Not only that, but Diddy's like the big Impa guy.
Seeing him not support Impa is like seeing me no longer support Waluigi.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Then apparently you and I don't share a similar sense of humor.

I know it's a rivalry of sorts, but I never really found that sort of thing to be funny.
Perhaps you are too sensitive then?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, drop it already. It's a joke between the two of them. Stop overthinking it. You don't need to find it funny. It's not meant for you. But derailing the topic is not fine at all. So move on to Smash discussion. NOW.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If it's a port?

Nothing most likely.

I think a port is more likely to get 3D World levels.

That makes me want Bowserland so bad though.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Well, with the Switch finally released, the more I think it'll be a new game with Smash 4 as a base; the idea starting as a port but then Sakurai taking the "Switch" name into account and "switching" a lot of things.

D

Deleted member

I wonder which fighter archetypes from fighting games are not present on the actual Smash games yet?

This would be a nice subject to discuss about.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
:4bayonetta: summons Madama Butterfly's arms and legs when using smash attacks.

Does that count ?
Probably, but I was thinking more like Captain Commando's ability to call his allies to attack or Yugi Muto from Jump Super Stars.

Though that's starting to sound much like Duck Hunt.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Summoner and (maybe) Grappler.

That's what comes to mind.
In an unconventional kind of way, the Ice Climbers sort of fit the grappler archetype, though I'd love for a true grappler, one with a ton of command grabs. PM kind of tries to make Lucario and Bowser into grappler types, but I want more than that. I'd love for a grappler who can tether onto opponents, command grab meteors, and stuff like that. There's no character that comes to mind though.

Probably, but I was thinking more like Captain Commando's ability to call his allies to attack or Yugi Muto from Jump Super Stars.

Though that's starting to sound much like Duck Hunt.
What about Nintendoji?

I'd like to point out that we really don't have a Dhalism type yet either. Sword disjoints is the closest we got right know, but it's not the same. An ARMS character will probably fill that void soon though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What about Nintendoji?

I'd like to point out that we really don't have a Dhalism type yet either. Sword disjoints is the closest we got right know, but it's not the same. An ARMS character will probably fill that void soon though.
I forgot about Nintendouji. He's a character who's at least a summoner from a design and ability standpoint. Using charms to literally summon different animal familiars to attack. I can see some potential mix-ups and combos with that style. The only thing stopping him is severe obscurity.

And a long reach character like Dhalsim is definitely another good one. Arms characters were easily made for that archetype. I can see something interesting being done with their long reach.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
What Pokémon (from Sun/Moon but also from past gens) would y'all like to see added?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I forgot about Nintendouji. He's a character who's at least a summoner from a design and ability standpoint. Using charms to literally summon different animal familiars to attack. I can see some potential mix-ups and combos with that style. The only thing stopping him is severe obscurity.

And a long reach character like Dhalsim is definitely another good one. Arms characters were easily made for that archetype. I can see something interesting being done with their long reach.
Pesky obscurity, always getting in the way.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
If you want a not completely obscure character for a summoner you could probably use is Isaac from Golden Sun. The djinns/summons are pretty big part of the game.
What Pokémon (from Sun/Moon but also from past gens) would y'all like to see added?
From Sun/moon, Decidueye which is the only i want that stands a reasonable chance of getting in.
Other pokemon I want are Golurk, Vespiquen, Darkrai and Barbaracle,

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ah buck up Diddy Kong Diddy Kong

Impa's character goes back and forth all the time.

This isn't an end to her chances.

If anything, constant reappearances that are plot relevant could help her.
You where all right in the end though. She doesn't have a consistant enough design to work with honestly. I guess I got overhyped with Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors + Legends and Ocarina of Time being recent enough games, and Impa being a strong character in all of those games able to work a moveset with any incaration. Yet... This Impa doesn't look so battle-ready.

I guess they could FORCE a younger design from 100 years ago, since Impa does have some serious lifespan going for her as seen in Skyward Sword... So considering this, even 100 years ago she could've been an old hag. HOWEVER: since the timeline isn't quite set, and this game seems to be 'the end' much like how Skyward Sword was 'the begin'- this exact Impa could easily re-appear, OR even could be the Impa from Ocarina of Time.

Speaking of timelines, the last two games; SS and BotW did it great! To avoid timeline drama, they simply made games in the exact beginning, and the exact ending. I was hoping this would be the sequel to Skyward Sword, but I guess that game can still come to excistance one day.

Also: BotW's Hyrule is HUGE and might set a standard for upcomming Zelda games. Am pretty sure that one day we're gonna see the 'Golden Age of Sheikah technology' era which is spoken of in BotW, and Impa might appear in that. But yeah, as for now, the whole situation is just ****. Breath of the Wild wasn't even kind to Ganon- so why would a lesser character as Impa get spoiled? It seems the series is mostly revolving around Link and Zelda now- and I think that's a shame / wasted potential.

I also don't know why the Sheikah symbol was so immensively teased, cause in the end the Sheikah aren't TOO important to the story even. I expected much more, and am dissapointed, but gameplay wise, BotW is understandable. It's just Hyrule Going Huge, with some Skyrim and Monster Hunter elements which they clearly took as inspiration. Am not saying it's bad, but... The end game feels a lot less like Zelda than it should.

And this isn't because of Ugly Impa (which is what am gonna call this abomination from now).. It's because gameplay became more of a focus than what made Zelda what it is.

Btw, Skyward Sword was THE BEST ZELDA EVER!!!

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Sceptile for sure. I'd also like Ninetales, Gengar, and Genesect.

My most wanted Gen 7 Pokémon is probably Decidueye.
If you want a not completely obscure character for a summoner you could probably use is Isaac from Golden Sun. The djinns/summons are pretty big part of the game.
From Sun/moon, Decidueye which is the only i want that stands a reasonable chance of getting in.
Other pokemon I want are Golurk, Vespiquen, Darkrai and Barbaracle,
Whoops! My bad. I didn't mean playable characters, but rather, Poké Ball-summoned Pokémon :p

D

Deleted member

You where all right in the end though. She doesn't have a consistant enough design to work with honestly. I guess I got overhyped with Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors + Legends and Ocarina of Time being recent enough games, and Impa being a strong character in all of those games able to work a moveset with any incaration. Yet... This Impa doesn't look so battle-ready.

I guess they could FORCE a younger design from 100 years ago, since Impa does have some serious lifespan going for her as seen in Skyward Sword... So considering this, even 100 years ago she could've been an old hag. HOWEVER: since the timeline isn't quite set, and this game seems to be 'the end' much like how Skyward Sword was 'the begin'- this exact Impa could easily re-appear, OR even could be the Impa from Ocarina of Time.

Speaking of timelines, the last two games; SS and BotW did it great! To avoid timeline drama, they simply made games in the exact beginning, and the exact ending. I was hoping this would be the sequel to Skyward Sword, but I guess that game can still come to excistance one day.

Also: BotW's Hyrule is HUGE and might set a standard for upcomming Zelda games. Am pretty sure that one day we're gonna see the 'Golden Age of Sheikah technology' era which is spoken of in BotW, and Impa might appear in that. But yeah, as for now, the whole situation is just ****. Breath of the Wild wasn't even kind to Ganon- so why would a lesser character as Impa get spoiled? It seems the series is mostly revolving around Link and Zelda now- and I think that's a shame / wasted potential.

I also don't know why the Sheikah symbol was so immensively teased, cause in the end the Sheikah aren't TOO important to the story even. I expected much more, and am dissapointed, but gameplay wise, BotW is understandable. It's just Hyrule Going Huge, with some Skyrim and Monster Hunter elements which they clearly took as inspiration. Am not saying it's bad, but... The end game feels a lot less like Zelda than it should.

And this isn't because of Ugly Impa (which is what am gonna call this abomination from now).. It's because gameplay became more of a focus than what made Zelda what it is.

Btw, Skyward Sword was THE BEST ZELDA EVER!!!
To be fair, that doesn't mean you can't support her anymore even if you see her as unlikely now. :)

I brought up Waluigi for a reason.
I think he's completely unlikely to be in Smash at this point unless he shows up as a major WarioWare character (which is even more unlikely than him being promoted from Assist to fighter in Smash, believe it or not).
I still support him, though. And will continue on until he does make the jump.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Every appearance Impa makes doesn't really hinder her chances, as it just increases her prevalence and importance within the series, given recurring characters outside the main three are uncommon, to say the least. Appearances she might take that aren't ideal as far as fighting feasibility go are unfortunate in the context of Smash (as Smash usually draws from the latest Zelda - but ofc not always), but I still believe she'll eventually make the jump to the roster.

Since Tingle's gradual decrease from prominence she does seem to be the quaternary character of the series.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Honestly, I wouldn't have any beef with Impa being in Smash, I just don't really expect her to make it into the playable roster in any way.

And Waluigi being mentioned earlier, I'd REALLY love to see him playable, but I only truly support him because he makes me laugh every time I beat him in something like Mario Kart or Mario Party. Remembering what Sakurai said when he confirmed Waluigi remained an Assist trophy for Smash 4 doesn't really give me any hope for seeing him make the roster, but that's just me.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I could be wrong on this, but it seems like the roster of each Smash game is, in part, based on the previous generation of home consoles and the current generation of handhelds. It's a bit of a stretch for Melee, but it seems to fit the others:

-Smash 64: SNES (Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby, Earthbound) and Game Boy (Pokemon)
-Melee: N64 (Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Mario 64) and Game Boy Colour (Pokemon Gold/Silver, Game & Watch Gallery)
-Brawl: Gamecube (Pikmin, Star Fox Assault, Wind Waker, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Sonic Adventure 2, Ike's Fire Emblem games) and DS (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Wario Ware)
-Smash 4: Wii (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mega Man 9/10, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy) and 3DS (Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf)

Obviously, this isn't a 100% match, even without taking retro series into account. However, it could give us some indication of who's likely for the next game. We have no idea what the 3DS's successor will be, but what Wii U games do you think could get a character on the roster? (aside from Splatoon, since that just seems obvious)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth with Alolan Meowth alt and Decidueye for SSB5!

These two are my top favorite Pokemon in Sun/Moon but I like other Pokemon such as Ribombee, Bewear, and Dhelmise and I would love to see them get in as Pokeball Pokemon.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Obviously, this isn't a 100% match, even without taking retro series into account. However, it could give us some indication of who's likely for the next game. We have no idea what the 3DS's successor will be, but what Wii U games do you think could get a character on the roster? (aside from Splatoon, since that just seems obvious)
I think there were too few games on the system to tell, but Captain Toad and Elma seem to have been the ones to get the most speculation/support during the Ballot era. I know CT is older than Wii U, but that console is the first one to have him star in his very own game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could be wrong on this, but it seems like the roster of each Smash game is, in part, based on the previous generation of home consoles and the current generation of handhelds. It's a bit of a stretch for Melee, but it seems to fit the others:

-Smash 64: SNES (Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby, Earthbound) and Game Boy (Pokemon)
-Melee: N64 (Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Mario 64) and Game Boy Colour (Pokemon Gold/Silver, Game & Watch Gallery)
-Brawl: Gamecube (Pikmin, Star Fox Assault, Wind Waker, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Sonic Adventure 2, Ike's Fire Emblem games) and DS (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Wario Ware)
-Smash 4: Wii (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mega Man 9/10, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy) and 3DS (Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf)

I wouldn't even make it that complicated. Each Smash game usually takes heavy influence simply from the games that have occurred since the last iteration. It's not a hard and fast rule but since Smash shows up once a console cycle, it's just the rhythm of catch-up the series has gotten into.

And fwiw I doubt we see any more inclusions based on characters who debuted on the Wii U, the only obv exception being the Inklings.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
There's some pretty interesting news involving a hypothetical Switch Smash Bros game that happened today/yesterday.
""Smash is obviously one of our best-selling franchises," he told Katie Linendoll during a Facebook livestream (via GoNintendo). "What we say is that the philosophy that Nintendo has from a development standpoint is that for every platform, we want to have at least one [each] of our classic franchises." -Gamespot

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's not exactly news, though.

We know that one is coming. We just don't know when. :p

PF9

Smash Lord
Let's talk about features we want to see in the new Smash.

Well there's the obvious adventure mode. SSE was gold, I was disappointed at the lack of a story mode in Smash 4.

I'd also like to see a feature where you can adjust how the in-game crowd reacts to each character. You could make the crowd sympathetic towards some characters, and venomous towards others - a feature which is inspired by professional wrestling (where the crowd is supposed to root for the faces, which are the good guys, and against the heels, the bad guys).

I'd also like to see more minigames in 2 varieties - the first would be minigames in which all characters could participate. One such minigame I'd like to see is a swim race mingame (an expansion of the swimming mechanism), which would allow you to race against others and also have a time trial mode. Then there would be character-specific minigames. For example, Pikachu's minigame could be a maze which at the end would be a piece of cheese (a reference to what is done with mice in real life).

Then I'd like the ability to upload your own music into the game without hacking, using MP3s. I'd like a classic rock custom soundtrack for instance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Two features I'd love (and they're not big new modes or anything - like a new Adventure mode, which would be great, but to me, are totally superfluous to what I value Smash for).

One is a tag-team mode, where you can pick more than a single character. You'd either be able to swap between them or play as them sequentially like stock. Either is good with me. And you can already sort of do this, such as at the end of Smash Tour. But to have it be an option in Vs mode would be amazing.

The second, very simply, is a stage hazard toggle. Omega stages were a nice step in the right direction, but it pretty much neutralizes each stage much more than necessary. Stages like Dr. Wily's Castle and Magicant (among others) would be so much more fun without the annoying distractions that, btw, happen way too frequently.

And I guess a third, which is more just a return to form rather than anything new, is I'd love Classic to revert to how it used to be. It's taken too many steps away from its arcade routes and is now kind of dull and plodding. Or maybe it's because I just ran through that thing so many times to clear all the necessary challenges. -_-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom