• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Something I would appreciate is multiple announcers. Maybe a female announcer along with the male. It could be random, and even rarer is a character in the game announcing things when selecting . Imagine mario going "3, 2, 1 fight!"

Would be insane to hear

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
That is the exact opposite of what condensing the roster would achieve.

You're not "adding more room for others" so much as you are making it more pointlessly difficult to select completely different characters/playstyles.
I never said it was? It’s just an aesthetic preference. I don’t think doing that would make more room for newcomers. It would just the same as choosing Zelda or Sheik in brawl.
I don’t expect it to happen.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Here is a clip of Pyra's voice actress talking about Smash. https://clips.twitch.tv/NimbleRefinedSashimiPeteZarollTie

1st off she could have easily gotten away with not reading the message regarding Smash, and 2nd she wasn't even asked if she was involved in Smash, the guy just said he hoped Pyra and Mythra were in it, so she didn't have to give a response like that, all she had to do was say "thanks for the donation" or "that would be cool, thank you"; she didn't have to go in such detail.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Something I would appreciate is multiple announcers. Maybe a female announcer along with the male. It could be random, and even rarer is a character in the game announcing things when selecting . Imagine mario going "3, 2, 1 fight!"

Would be insane to hear
I second this, that would be great

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Criminally insane thought that will never happen: Speaking of announcers, how would you all feel if...
YOU are the announcer in Smash Switch? The game comes with a pre-packaged microphone that you'd have to record every narration line in the game with.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
They could have just got another voice actress, though. Hiring a new voice actor for a character is really common. Fire Emblem Heroes replaced a lot of old voice actors for example.

I'm not saying Pyra is in the game, I don't really care either way, but "Pyra's VA didn't do any work in Smash," =/= "Pyra 100% is not in Smash."

There are explainations outside of that one possibility.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
They could have just got another voice actress, though. Hiring a new voice actor for a character is really common. Fire Emblem Heroes replaced a lot of old voice actors for example.

I'm not saying Pyra is in the game, I don't really care either way, but going from "Pyra's VA didn't do any work in Smash," =/= "Pyra 100% is not in Smash."

Yeah, I'd say given what happened with Shulk's VA dropping hints last time, they might have just decided that that would be the safer option.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

I'm not saying Pyra is in the game, I don't really care either way, but "Pyra's VA didn't do any work in Smash," =/= "Pyra 100% is not in Smash."

It's not common in Smash though, and it makes sense that for FE Heroes they didn't bring back voice actors who hadn't voiced thier respective characters in a long time. Pyra's voice actor voice her extremely recently, so why change the voice actress?

Sakurai loves accurately portraying characters, and I'm sure getting their official voices works into that. The only notable time a characters voice actor didn't return to voice their character in Smash was Palutena, and that was because she was unavailable (she said so herself). Pyra's voice actor doesn't seem to be a busy actress (Xenoblade 2 is the only video game she's ever lent her voice to, and she has enough time to stream multiple times for hours in 1 week).

Sakurai is going to bring in a characters proper voice actor if they are available, there is no reason to think he wouldn't.

Yeah, I'd say given what happened with Shulk's VA dropping hints last time, they might have just decided that that would be the safer option.
You think they might not bring in a certain voice actor to voice a character, because a different voice actor once said he did voice work for a new project, potentially hinting at a Smash appearance, but even then no one knew for sure.

That seems a bit ridiculous, couldn't they just tell her not to do what he did lol.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only notable time a characters voice actor didn't return to voice their character in Smash was Palutena
Actually, Palutena isn't a unique case.

Similarly Lauren Landa replaces Michelle Ruff for female Robin and Mewtwo is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara instead of Masachika Ichimura. Going further back, we had cases like Lucario being voiced by Bill Rogers instead of Sean Schemmel and Wolf being voiced by Jay Ward instead of Grant Goodeve.

What I'm basically saying is the voice actors constantly change between their source material and Super Smash Bros., likely due to contracts preventing certain actors from returning or the actor simply being too busy to provide voice samples.

D

Deleted member

So... who is in favor for customs being automatically there? I hated trying to unlock customs.
Let me make this easy: transformations are not coming back.
This is 100% true.
That is the exact opposite of what condensing the roster would achieve.

You're not "adding more room for others" so much as you are making it more pointlessly difficult to select completely different characters/playstyles.
This is also 100% true.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think the limitations of the 3DS changed things for the better honestly. I'm never happy for character cuts, but I was okay with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers being absent given the newcomers we got in their place. I was also very happy about characters being separate, as well as the various character upgrades.
Upgrades ? I hope that these "upgrades" is what you describes later, because removing characters is not a upgrade at all.
Removing transformations is also debatable as a upgrade, since you gets a new move but loses a entire character moveset

Zelda, Sheik, ZSS, and Charizard were separated as a result of limitations. Good.
Any proof of that statement ? I don't recall Sakurai being clear that transformations were impossible in the 3DS.

Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard's ability to glide was removed. I'm okay with it staying that way. I don't like them having these special abilities.
They have wings. They should glide. Peach can still float, why ? Why remove glide but keep other character exclusive mechanics like Bat Within or Peach's FLOAT.

Not every single change in comparison of Brawl was made because of 3DS limitations. You're assuming a lot.

Olimar is capable of controlling a high number of Pikmins in his game.
If the cut happened because of limitations, it was bad and I hope they revert it back to the old Pickmin number(7?)

Still shocked that someone is happy with they REMOVING glide.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Actually, Palutena isn't a unique case.

Similarly Lauren Landa replaces Michelle Ruff for female Robin and Mewtwo is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara instead of Masachika Ichimura. Going further back, we had cases like Lucario being voiced by Bill Rogers instead of Sean Schemmel and Wolf being voiced by Jay Ward instead of Grant Goodeve.

What I'm basically saying is the voice actors constantly change between their source material and Super Smash Bros., likely due to contracts preventing certain actors from returning or the actor simply being too busy to provide voice samples.
For Female Robin Michelle Ruff does a ton of voice acting, so there is a good chance she wasn't available, ironically enough though she did voice a character in Fire Emblem Heroes, but not as Robin.

For Mewtwo I think Masachika Ichimura might not have been brought back because he was dealing with stomach cancer at the time, and was taking a break, or maybe it's just because he hadn't voiced Mewtwo in a long time, (he didn't even voice him in the recent Mewtwo movie) and Sakurai didn't find it necessary to bring him back.

For Lucario if I recall correctly they couldn't get Sean Schemmel to voice him in Brawl because of legal reasons, though he did voice him in the next Smash.

For Wolf he was a last minute addition to the roster, so maybe Grant Goodeve wasn't available within that short timeframe?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Criminally insane thought that will never happen: Speaking of announcers, how would you all feel if...
YOU are the announcer in Smash Switch? The game comes with a pre-packaged microphone that you'd have to record every narration line in the game with.
Heavy dislike. Now if there was the option too do that as a custom announcer alongside the announcer opposed to being forced to that's a different matter.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice

Replaced voice actors are usually because of not being available, or more recently union issues for some. However given that Xenoblade 2 is a pretty new and very dialogue heavy game (especially combat dialogue) it is possible they just recycled Xenoblade 2 lines at least for Pyra given her support role likely needing fewer lines. All this really means, assuming it's not NDA hand-waving, is "Azurda's Wisdom" isn't going to be Codecs 3.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I doubt they would use her XC2 clips without at least contacting her first. Back in Smash 4, Fox's Assault voice actor mentioned that he was contacted during its development so that they could reuse the Lylat Cruise clips from Brawl for the game, which was just a few convos. I imagine that if they decided to use Pyra's clips in the same way, they would extend the same luxury and contact Skye Bennett so that they can get her permission, especially since she's commonly speculated to be a part of Rex's moveset rather then an easter egg exclusive to one stage.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wouldn't like it; I'm very self conscious about having my voice recorded, since I tend to sound like a mix of Michael Cera and Kermit the Frog. (At least, that's how I feel when I listen to recordings of myself)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How about this!

Let’s list our top 10 most wanted music tracks even they if don’t really fit in Smash. Obviously, only tracks from franchises eligible for Smash so no 4th and beyond. 10 top tracks! Ready, go!

1. I was kinda surprised we never got this track considering it can fit with just about any Metroid stage.
  2. A personal favorite of mine that I use to relax. Not exactly Smash material but would love to hear it in a Skyward Sword Theme for Smash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On custom moves

Ideal Scenarios

• Custom moves are dropped in favor of alternate movesets, which are attached to certain costumes and may be unlocked. (Examples: Sunshine Mario, Land Wario, Warlock Ganondorf, Cat Peach)
  • Custom Moves are drastically different and have their own animations
  • Customs can be easily set up in the selection screen

At the Very least
  • Custom Moves are no longer considered equipment and once unlocked no doubles
  • The minigame to unlock them is more of a mini-game. More like Brawl's
  • Don't be sto stingy with the drops

Please Dear Arceus up in the Hall of Origin...
  • Don't put them in loot crates.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That would be amazing!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I get why it's a popular request here, but what actually makes Decidueye more likely than other mons from Gen VII?
From what I can tell, it's the only 7th generation Pokemon to get playable representation in Pokken Tournament DX, and it's also a Grass-type Pokemon. For some people, the Pokemon roster is incomplete if we don't have a playable Fire, Water, and Grass starter present.

But based on the previous popularity poll that I saw, Decidueye is nowhere near as popular as Primarina and Incineroar. Also, with Rowlet being ranked the most popular 7th generation Pokemon, it would just feel criminal for it to not get referenced in some way.

It should be noted, however, that Greninja was implemented into Smash 3DS / Wii U before it developed any kind of identity in the Pokemon anime series.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
All I would do is abuse the feature and have the mic record Tourettes Guy voice clips for the narration.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nah. Too much work and god forbid someone hears my voice or deletes all the files and I lose the microphone.

A feature I'd like is the ability to re-arrange the CSS the way I want it to be. If they can't do it properly, then give us the option.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got a post that has nothing to do with stuff from catching up for once. Can be a little game or whatever since people here tend to like those. Pick a veteran or numerous from any of the Smash games that you think will return in Smash 5 and list some changes you'd like to see. Could be complete animation changes like the common Mario Cappy idea or canon Ganon or it could just be visual touchups like I imagine Zelda if she had the powers of the Champions (Daruk's Protection = Nayru's Love) or it could be altering of knockback or damage or range or speed etc.

I'll list some for my 3 favourite characters throughout the series. First is Ganon and it is indeed canon Ganon. Dtilt, Wizard's Foot and uair can easily be a sword stabs and a sword swing respectively and retain the way they work otherwise. Jab should also use the sword since it's based on his TP sword lunge. Dair could be changed too though I don't mind that one staying the way it is. Alternatively for Wizard's Kick, make the grounded version a sword stab and the aerial version a fist strike to reference his one attack in OoT. Warlock Punch should be removed for Deadman's Volley and I've seen Irene (your new name is a hassle for me to remember. Something to do with a T-Rex) mention how it's not exclusive to Ganondorf in his series bur then neither is the bow and arrow for the Links, the PSI abilities for Ness and Lucas (which they don't even canonically learn), many moves for the Pokemon, Mario and Luigi's ability to shoot fireballs, Peach's ability to pull turnips and use sports equipment and nearly Kirby's entire moveset, namely the hammer though. Deadman's Volley IS exclusive to Ganon amongst characters in Smash though. I also think his down and up special should get their Melee strength back, side special should go back to being untechable (apply that to all meteor smashes on grounded opponents too), dair should autocancel out of a shorthop like in Brawl and his grab range should be longer (he has actual arms unlike say Kirby). And just like that, we get a Ganondorf that uses some sword play, some magic and retains some of his moveset that people are used to.

I think Falco's Reflector should keep the whole kicking it outwards thing but the knockback should be changed so it pulls the opponent in, either high or low. If it pulls them in high, Falco could follow up with utilt, usmash or aerials and if it pulls in low, he could follow up with jab, tilts, grab (which can then lead into aerials) or if they DI down, it could become a tech chase. This gives Falco back some of his combo ability from Melee while still making his Reflector unique from Fox's. I also think his air speed should be raised since, ya know, he's a bird and prefers the air. Blaster should either get it's old projectile speed back or it's old endlag back or its autocancel upon landing. Last one may sound broken but with the speed and range nerf to the laser itself and Falco's slow ground speed, it would mostly help with approaches since the projectile is rather easy to react to in Sm4sh. Either that or his Blaster should be changed entirely to either have a charge or have him do more show off-esque stuff like reference that cutscene in SSE and have him pull out 2 while he's airborne or have him twilr around in the air so he fires in all directions. Phantasm should either get it's late hitbox back or the meteor should be made much stronger. Dair should either get it's speed or it's power back. In Sm4sh it's both a weak and slow meteor when it could be a weak, fast one or a slow, powerful one. Fire Bird should get much higher knockback and/or damage so it gains the ability to KO and therefore has something over Fire Fox.

Link wishlist is nice and short. Bring back old dair (the one that was stronger and didn't meteor) and bring back old boomerang (hopefully this happens since I don't believe the gale boomerang is in BotW? Hope it's not anyways.) And for ****s and giggles, bring back Melee nair (the move literally had no endlag. If you didn't land with it, the hitbox persisted until you could act again)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think that's part of the problem with a large roster.

The larger the number, the less likley nice neat shapes can be made from it, especially when you need to factor in keeping series together.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
After having the chance to lookat the video concerning Pyra's VA and I still don't think it means much.

Wasn't there a thing where Chroms voice actor said he didn't do voice work for smash, which was false but he also wasn't a character?
This is what he stated

NL: We may be quite cheeky in asking if you've been asked to reprise your role as Chrom in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. series?

MM: I currently have not been approached and asked about this, but MAN WOULD I LOVE FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. As a huge fan of the Smash Bros series (heck, look at my webseries!), I would love to. Chrom seems like an easy fit, and follows the trend of previous Smash Bros games... so just keep your fingers crossed, and be SUPER VERBAL to Nintendo about your NEED to have Chrom in the game!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So here's another "leak" we can discuss.

I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to be. A trailer? The new Mario model? Either way, I can't see Sakurai randomly replacing one of Mario's moves with a hammer of all things. The special effect of the hammer swing also looks a little strange compared to the detailed effects we normally see in Smash.

Still looks nice though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to be. A trailer? The new Mario model? Either way, I can't see Sakurai randomly replacing one of Mario's moves with a hammer of all things. The special effect of the hammer swing also looks a little strange compared to the detailed effects we normally see in Smash.

Still looks nice though.
Something about the model looks unfinished, the shoes in particular.

Though honestly having Mario use a hammer isn't a stretch at all, considering he's done so since his debut in Donkey Kong.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Something about the model looks unfinished, the shoes in particular.

Though honestly having Mario use a hammer isn't a stretch at all, considering he's done so since his debut in Donkey Kong.
Not saying the hammer doesn't fit Mario, because he definitely has a history with hammers. Just wondering why Sakurai would change Mario's moveset now of all times to something that's been associated with Mario since the very beginning. If we were to get a new move from Mario, I would've assumed we'd get something from a newer game like Odyssey, not something old like a hammer.

That's assuming this thing is even real.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How about this!

Let’s list our top 10 most wanted music tracks even they if don’t really fit in Smash. Obviously, only tracks from franchises eligible for Smash so no 4th and beyond. 10 top tracks! Ready, go!

1. I was kinda surprised we never got this track considering it can fit with just about any Metroid stage.
  2. A personal favorite of mine that I use to relax. Not exactly Smash material but would love to hear it in a Skyward Sword Theme for Smash.
I posted 5 of these sometime earlier in the thread, but might aswell expand it to 10. It's not necessarily a top 10, and the order is irrelevant, it's just 10 tracks I could think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Still looks nice though.
Could always be a new victory pose. I do think we need a revamp there. Everyone's had the same since 64 pretty much.

I do like that model and would accept that as long as it gets touched up. A nice fake, though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Still looks nice though.
Something feels really off in this image, Mario's legs and back look really large for some reason (although that could be a weird perspective). Also, that hammer looks really lacks detail, at least relative to the detail in the rest of the design.

Additionally, does anyone know how popular Rex is in Japan? I know over here he's kinda disliked for being a little too much of a generic shonen protagonist ("So together, they're like ultra powerful?"), but does Japan feel the same way or differently?

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I dunno man. I think the best course of action to take in speculation for rex and pyra is to assume they aren't coming for base roster , and be surprised if they do make it. Especially after pyra's VA says she hasn't been contacted at all, and seemed sincere about it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually, this is what I'm going to do with all my predictions. I want to be pleasantly suprised if my picks get in, not being dissappointed of cool characters just because I wasn't expecting/cheering for them.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Giving Mario a hammer in place of F.L.U.D.D. would be genius.

GENIUS.

It's actually a shock he hasn't had one since his inception in Smash.

Still taking that image with a grain of salt. Where's it from by the by?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

GENIUS.

Hammer as a down special tho? idk about that, they should just add Paper Mario and let him use a hammer as his main weapon

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Still looks nice though.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was showing off alternate movesets, in this case a Mario RPG (not to be confused for Super Mario RPG) inspired one. It looks like a 3D version of the hammer swing animation from Paper Mario IMO.

That said, it could be false. Though what's with all the hatching on the image was it taken off a screen?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

GENIUS.

Giving Mario his Tornado back as his Down B would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom