• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

L-J

Smash Ace
i think green greens is already in the london rule set.
This is true but I think this confusion whould be sorted out once and for all (maybe some kind of vote would be the best way to go) because I for one would never have Green Greens legal and Corneria banned - there is no good reason for that. Equally I cannot see how JJ should be legal. Everyone is gonna have their own opinions for different stages so maybe a vote on each one followed by a standardised stage set for all UK tournaments (or at the very least London) tournaments would be the way to go...

My personal stage set of choice would be as follows:

Neutrals:

Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:

Brinstar
Mute City
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle N64
Battlefield

TBH I still issues with this such as FoD being a neutral and moving stages being on full stop but in terms of the amount people actually play certain stages and disadvantages/advantages for certain characters being balanced in the counterpicking and first random neutral stage I think this is a pretty good compromise. I'm happy to discuss this with anyone who has issues with it - this whole stage legality thing should really be sorted out sooner rather than later so the community can focus on more important things like getting better at smash :p

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
hmmm add poke floats to that list of counterpicks and i think i will agree with you on that stage list.

but yes a vote i feel is the best way to decide this. its really only a couple of stages that need to be looked at such as green greens and jungles japes.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Prof: Ok, i may be wrong bout the adrian thing, not too sure tbh, i just thought i remembered you telling me to go japes, and we didnt really lose to them, we won by 3 stocks
And im not saying you should be subscribed to my posts, but considering you actually responded to my post about me beating edwin on japes, I would have thought you would have read the whole post.
And JJL is absolutely correct. This ruleset business really needs to be looked at asap, so no further confusion is experienced.
I for one did not know corneria is banned, and have had it used against me countless times by fox mains and ppl like sanuzi, but its too late to complain about it now, Ill just bear this information in mind for future tournaments.
And prof, since you know the ruleset so much, why did you not rage when sanuzi picked corneria against fuzzy? Because it did not affect you personally?
And willz, where have i implied that i do not accept that I used a banned stage? :confused: Im just saying that our crew should not be put at fault, for the same reasons that ppl who picked corneria should not be blamed because they clearly thought it was a legal counterpick, as with us and Japes
I made a mistake by not knowing that Corneria was banned, like the rest of the community did which is an easy mistake to make due to this stage being regularly played at events so it's a bit too late for that now, but I 100% knew Jungle Japes was banned cos when is that stage EVER played at any UK event and I told you it was banned TO YOUR FACE and you tried to assure me it wasn't and it was on the first page on here which is why I am more entilted to be annoyed in that situation rather then Fuzzy taking Sanuzi there where the whole community thought it was legal lol.

One of the reasons why people are more likely to be annoyed at your crew for picking that stage is because your BLATANLY banned, Corneria is regularly played but youe stage is just straight up banned in and out.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
On the topic of people counterpicking to stages that were not legal, I saw Blaze CP to Corneria multiple times but he insisted it was legal...

This is nothing against Blaze, I'm just using it as an example. I saw many different example of people CP to crazy levels.

In all the rules were not fixed, I often saw people using 5 starter stages, sometimes 3, I think this needs to be addressed next time.

Stage Rulings

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

I could john all day about my placement in both games but I'll save it, I enjoyed this tournament was really fun, met a lot of cool people.

Just want to give a mention to Siri as that **** on Halberd was the most unlucky thing I have ever seen, awesome Peach tho seriously.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I know Green greens is on the stage list I'm just saying its a terrible stage that shouldn't be legal. The 5 stages as randoms that LJ put up are fine since stage striking will mean you'll never be stuck with stage problems on the 1st match.

imo these are the stages that should be allowed and the ones that I think shoudn't:

Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story

Kongo Jungle 64- a nice alternate stage for people to pick. Doesn't give too much of an advantage to any character.

Rainbow Ride & Poke Floats- Yeah they're weird stages, but it won't screw you up all that much as the stages move around slow enough for it not to be a problem imo. Theres also advantages to be had depending on how you play so if you play smart you can make good use of the stage regardless of character.

Should NOT be allowed--

Mute City-
Gives too much of an advantage in a lot of matchups and contributes too much to the result of the match.

Green greens- too small. Blocks, apples, wind combined gets in the way a lot.

Jungle Japes- Hardly any room beneath the stage means too many characters get screwed around. Klaptraps end up KOing more than the actual players. Camping.

onett- (just to make sure) terrible terrible stage, I can't believe this is legal anywhere. you've got corners for infinates, camping, cars, walk off sides.

Corneria- People camp under the fin with a fair few characters. The arwings are sometimes avoidable but sometimes not and can screw things up for any player.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i think out of those jungle japes and onnett should be banned

the rest are fine imo, still bearable even green greens..but green greens is the gayest out of the lot

-BlAz3-

Smash Apprentice
Eh..september. School. I don't think i'll be attending till maybe christmas holidays.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I can only think of the "bomb wall" glitch, personally I think the walk-offs on castle siege are worse but that's still a counterpick.

its just that with your brawl stagelist its literally impossible to cp mk players since they can just ban halberd, GG is a good cp for him.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
green greens on brawl is a joke bowser takes up the whole stage atleast on meele its kinda playable

altho iv never really played on that stage but it wil never be a stage on brawl tournys

Jolteon

when did bowser take up the whole stage? even if you ignore the sides (for some reason) that's not true unless you're playing Giant Brawl or something, and what do you mean but it'll never be a stage at brawl tourneys? It's been a stage many times in other areas.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yeniths is absolutely right, i dont think there was a single person (in melee at least) who knew the ruleset in and out.
The rules on the front of the page were absolutely wrong, or at least, not on par with the rules fuzzy told us at the tournament. Stage striking was meant to occur, but all to often I just saw people play on random, probably because the front page says that. Also, many people included battlefield as a starter rather than FoD, which is not in accordance with the rules. Jungle Japes and Corneria were allowed in tournament when they should not have been. In all, I think this tournament has opened our eyes to how important it is to have clear, concise and consistent rules.
I think the front page should get sorted out before the next tournament, all the changes stated etc. to make sure everyone knows whats happening.
Also, JJL, peach's castle as a counter lol? If i ever go to ur tournaments again, Im spamming that as a counter pick lool
Imo, counterpick stages should look like :
Battlefield
Kongo Jungle 64
Poke floats
Rainbow Ride
Mute City
Brinstar
Corneria

And then, i think its up to the TO for the rest, Japes and green greens should be entered, or banned as a set, as these stages help characters at the opposite end of the spectrum, as one is large, one is small.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
when did bowser take up the whole stage? even if you ignore the sides (for some reason) that's not true unless you're playing Giant Brawl or something, and what do you mean but it'll never be a stage at brawl tourneys? It's been a stage many times in other areas.
U WILL NEVER HAVE GREEN GREENS AS A CP AT A BIG BRAWL TOURNY NEVER , and idc about the stage set for meele as people point out there totally diffrent games so why not have dif stages allowed / not allowed

Jolteon

i dont think our tourneys really classify as "big" lol, unless you're comparing it to the rest of england.

besides that's not a good reason in the first place since its circular logic :/

with the differences between melee and brawl - valid point, but green greens itself remains mostly similar.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Make all stages Legal, it would be so much fun lmao, imo i think only neutrals should be allowed, if not that just make all stages legal.

L-J

Smash Ace
hmmm add poke floats to that list of counterpicks and i think i will agree with you on that stage list.

but yes a vote i feel is the best way to decide this. its really only a couple of stages that need to be looked at such as green greens and jungles japes.
Yeah that's fair enough, if you're gonna have Rainbow Cruise legal you may as well have Pokefloats as well I guess - I always just thought of it as a generally more glitchy, more campy (spacies lasers in particular) and less played stage than RC but yeah it's ok.

Ben I pretty much agree with what you're saying about each of the borderline stages. The only reason I think Mute City, Brinstar and Corneria are a good combination is because, of the spacie dominated stages (i.e. moving stages, Corneria, Green Greens for fox), Corneria is definately the most played worldwide and IMO the least wack. There is gay stuff on it yes but NOTHING compared to Green Greens let's be honest. I included it also to provide a suitable counter for spacies against the floaties because if they're gonna have Brinstar and Mute City then spacies have gotta have something to balance that out lol. I guess you could have both Mute and Corneria banned but that still leaves Brinstar as a floaty dominated counterpick and without Corneria i'd be tempted to say it's fairer to have all three banned...

It's difficult tbh but I think having Mute City, Brinstar, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise and PokeFloats all allowed is justified simply by the amount all those stages are played by the community worldwide. Green Greens and Jungle Japes however are a bridge too far imo.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Yeah that's fair enough, if you're gonna have Rainbow Cruise legal you may as well have Pokefloats as well I guess - I always just thought of it as a generally more glitchy, more campy (spacies lasers in particular) and less played stage than RC but yeah it's ok.

Ben I pretty much agree with what you're saying about each of the borderline stages. The only reason I think Mute City, Brinstar and Corneria are a good combination is because, of the spacie dominated stages (i.e. moving stages, Corneria, Green Greens for fox), Corneria is definately the most played worldwide and IMO the least wack. There is gay stuff on it yes but NOTHING compared to Green Greens let's be honest. I included it also to provide a suitable counter for spacies against the floaties because if they're gonna have Brinstar and Mute City then spacies have gotta have something to balance that out lol. I guess you could have both Mute and Corneria banned but that still leaves Brinstar as a floaty dominated counterpick and without Corneria i'd be tempted to say it's fairer to have all three banned...

It's difficult tbh but I think having Mute City, Brinstar, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise and PokeFloats all allowed is justified simply by the amount all those stages are played by the community worldwide. Green Greens and Jungle Japes however are a bridge too far imo.
There are plenty of good fox falco stages. Fox has stadium and yoshis is not bad either. Falco has FD and fountain of Dreams.

when you think about it theres enough counterpicks for everybody with just the 5 randoms = Poke stadium, FD, battlefield, Dreamland, Fountain. Thats the stages we used for CHJ and ALT and they worked out well. Actually, not sure if we used them for CHJ but def ALT

L-J

Smash Ace
That's true Ben but I don't think it's fair to have Corneria banned but Brinstar and Mute City both on :/
Having just those 5 random stages with one stage ban per player would be fine by me though.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
might be a silly question- why isnt battlefield a random stage when yoshis and FoD are?

also, glad to hear about the 26th, ill be able to come before i go back to uni, and perhaps not play shockingly bad this time.

J03

Smash Master
imo you should be allowed to add any stage to the counterpick stages on the condition that A. your opponent agrees to it and B. your opponent gets to but one on also.

so say you ask for green greens and your opponent can say yes if mute city is on.

also on topic mute city and brinstar are both anti fastfaller stages. having rainbowride doesnt make up for it at all, i dont care for ****e stages so imo it should be 4 neutrals (yoshis could easily be a neautral). however stage striking works really well but it takes a short while and a tourney is all about saving time.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
i just went through the tio file and i would just like to say even though there wasnt alot wrong with the brackets who ever used the system needs to watch out, certain brawl players who enterd brawl + melee who i know are not as skilled in melee where seeded high in melee due to their high seed in brawl, also even my crew member was seeded higher in melee than he should have been. The organiser of the bracket may want to look into tio or at the next event i will happily with guided assitance help out with using tio, i just need to know how other players would be rated who i may not know about :)

also tio sorts out the pot by itself, which was also not done correctly and if i recall i swear prof said he made more than calzors even though they both won, which should not have happened.....???

Top Bottom