• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Oh well, it's your choice even though I feel it would still hinder you in the long run with not having those 20/30 extra people attending.

Though you should be doing it for this event, you have advertised it for long and shouldn't changed it for this sudden urge of 'I want to do what I want to do'

Edit - Also I went to my girlfriends house and comeback to see three pages of garbage about the system which should be used lol.
I don't think I should be in the top 4, I should be in my own tier just called '1' not 'top 1' just....'1'

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
this one is melee + brawl

it'll be the last until t.vs + venue space magically appear

sadly I'm not gonna point out names, it sucks cause it used to be ok when I had the t.vs >_> when you have 6/8 t.vs less its pretty much means half the community has to go

rustediron

Smash Lord
You... pretty much did mention him by name, which I feel is somewhat unfair, but oh wells.

Jolteon i think this is the first time I've flamed on boards but you really are being an idiot about this.

ignore the time constraint bull**** the point of this is to make the UK scene more competitive.
can you not see that having a top 8 means that potentially 4 of the places are up for the taking, it gives people something to aim for, then fight to keep once they have it.

if you have a top 4 then since no one defeated any on in the top 4 for ages it means there are 0 places up for the taking giving people no motivation to do better and keep there spot because nothing will change.

the "good enough" is based purely on what they got last time. that is where the competitive aspect comes in. your just mad at the moment because its people picking the top 8.

how can you not understand this?

edit: I don't like top 6 but as long as its top 8 from the next and its the top 8 from this event who get the places, then it dose not really matter.
jolteon having just written this then I was the idiot if you where happy about top 8 after this tourney once we have an 8 to go from.
Sums up pretty much exactly how I feel, if you start making the top 4 an exclusive clique which is ridiculously hard to break into with benefits all of its own, that's going to start demotivating people, not the other way around =/

Top 8, however, means there's a good number of places to fight for still.

VA

Smash Hero
Competition is the main aim, there are other benefits but beast is right in saying that this is the reason for changing things.

As it stands, what do people get for placing well? **** all. These things aren't even contributing to rankings of any sort.

Pools with me fuzzy, prof and edwin in auto lose their top seed spot to us (the last time I didn't get it was at GGT when I had fuzz in my pool). Having a top 8 card to earn is a great added competitive aspect for monthlies. It is hoever difficult to configure this in a "fair and just" way for the first tournament, but as beast said it will work itself out after this one.

If you consider yourself "just outside" the top 8 then you should make it out of pools first seed anyway. Granted you will effectively be a second seed, but this may have been the case regardless of one of the top 8 being in your pool or not. Are people seriously not willing to take this on the chin in order to facilitate some change for the better? It's only one monthly and hopefully after this we can start to get a better system running.

Top 6 sounds like crap, I think if we're doing anything outside the top 4 then we do 8. It's either or as all the players in there are beatable anyway, and this isn't even the point. The point is to set it up so we have a working, more competitive system.

And I've only briefly read people's posts on the page before, but it seems that mostly there is some kind of upset over the idea that 4 people who are not markedly better than the rest of the community should get a free ride at this tournament. Why are we not just looking to the placings at GT4 to decide the lower top 4? It's simple and solves the problem. Whine all you like but you'll have to fight to get into the top 8 and that's what makes it interesting.

1: Professor Pro
2: Fuzzyness
3: Vanity Angel
4: Smakis
5: j3ly
5: Frostbyte
7: Deathgazer
7: Tamoo
9: Swizzy
9: X1-12
9: LJ
9: Chrisboi
13: Gantz
13: Shifting Shadows
13: Crabman
13: Yeniths
17: Last Dragon
17: Jolteon
17: AC
17: Brado
17: Beast
17: Frugs
17: PMS
17: Alpha Dash

VA

Smash Hero
Also what will the stage ruling be for this tournament?

I actually think the BEAST stages were pretty good. We've trialled them at monthlies before and it just makes more sense. PS as counterpick and that's it.

FoD vs PS = no argument in which is more neutral imo. PS has multiple forms, 2 of which have shine infinite areas for fox and gayness for lots of situations (broken ****ty ledges, windmills etc). FoD has....duh duh duh....moving platforms. Surely that's less unfair than loads of weird transformations?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I agree with VA's post....

Not the one just above talking about PS vs FoD lol, though Charles actually said to me anyway that he is putting on FoD since because everyonelse is adopting the scheme so he thinks it's the right thing to do now lol.

BUT in terms of VA's other post I think it's just one of them things which should be attempted because that's the only way we're going to learn and improve in terms of what system to use.
I don't think top 8 is out of the question just because those people aren't as untouchable as the top 4.....even though we COULD still do top 4 at the next monthly due to us having more TV's to ourselves which COULD be better (Maybe this monthly might reveal something making Top 8 more questionable)

But just as long as we get a turn at using this system then I am happy.

VA

Smash Hero
I agree with VA's post....

Not the one just above talking about PS vs FoD lol, though Charles actually said to me anyway that he is putting on FoD since because everyonelse is adopting the scheme so he thinks it's the right thing to do now lol.

BUT in terms of VA's other post I think it's just one of them things which should be attempted because that's the only way we're going to learn and improve in terms of what system to use.
I don't think top 8 is out of the question just because those people aren't as untouchable as the top 4.....even though we COULD still do top 4 at the next monthly due to us having more TV's to ourselves which COULD be better (Maybe this monthly might reveal something making Top 8 more questionable)

UR SO DUMB ABOUT PS FOD lol. But seriously, do you actually think PS is more netural than FoD?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
UR SO DUMB ABOUT PS FOD lol. But seriously, do you actually think PS is more netural than FoD?
err...how is that even possible? theres the same arguement in brawl, saying pokemon stadium is more neutral than lylat and err...no XD
the only reason to use PS over FoD is in doubles, where FoD lags

VA

Smash Hero
yeah ok, but can we get a straight answer on both of these issues, maybe make a poll so we have standardised rules for our monthlies and no continuous change that leads to them running like a piece of ****.

FoD vs PS for stage striking

top 8 based on previous results vs no change

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
More matchups among the higher tier characters go evener on PS then matchups do on FoD :bee:

But yeah whatever I know it shouldn't be on if you compare FoD and PS.....oh well, lose a stage against you, gain a stage against Fuzzy lol :awesome:

Retroking2000

Smash Master
i would just say keep ps on the list rather than taken it off

its not that bad of a stage

also about the top 8 just get that from the gt4 top 8

if you miss out on tourneys tough luck you know lol

VA

Smash Hero
More matchups among the higher tier characters go evener on PS then matchups do on FoD :bee:

But yeah whatever I know it shouldn't be on if you compare FoD and PS.....oh well, lose a stage against you, gain a stage against Fuzzy lol :awesome:
lol it's only fair, I actually hate YS against Fox now. I sort of hate DL too. They're both gay, FoD isn't bad for fox against peach but it's not good either. BF is good for Peach I think and PS is sort of even. FD favours peach I think.

Basically it's not all about making stages even for higher tier match ups, it's about even in general. Fox vs a lot of characters is good on PS, but loads of characters suffer **** there I think.

Anyway...Edwins right, you gotta attend or get punished. Just look at my ranking on the official rankings.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
PS in brawl is **** though, just like everything else in brawl.

PS in melee is ****ing awesome though
you should try lateral thinking sometime, it works wonders XD it's the same in both games silly

as for melee stages, surely the difference between YS, BF and DL is so insignificant it shouldnt really make a difference, the stages are practically the same with the 3 platform setup with minor differences such as blast zone. forgive the ignorance but i really dont need to state the other differences
although i would have thought peach would do well on DL as her broken recovery can be used to its full potential with the large blastzone

VA

Smash Hero
And her **** mobility can be used well against her.

The arrangement of and space between the platforms themselves and also the stage beneath makes a difference. For example you can space the tipper of marths blade in multiple ways on YS, there is only one way to do it on BF, and it's almost impossible (though I have seen peopel do it) on DL.

I can't be bothered to go into the huge difference between those stages, I think tbh FoD and Dreamland are a tiny bit similar but w/e.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i never thought her mobility was that bad, then again i use rob in brawl, who cna hardly horizontally in the air...
anyway, FOD is far more neutral than PS. and that should be obvious

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
lol it's only fair, I actually hate YS against Fox now. I sort of hate DL too. They're both gay, FoD isn't bad for fox against peach but it's not good either. BF is good for Peach I think and PS is sort of even. FD favours peach I think.
PS definitely isn't even if you're referring to the Fox vs Peach matchup.

FD is in peach's favour.

you should try lateral thinking sometime, it works wonders XD it's the same in both games silly

as for melee stages, surely the difference between YS, BF and DL is so insignificant it shouldnt really make a difference, the stages are practically the same with the 3 platform setup with minor differences such as blast zone. forgive the ignorance but i really dont need to state the other differences
although i would have thought peach would do well on DL as her broken recovery can be used to its full potential with the large blastzone
The windmill in brawl is different I think, so they're not the exact same.

And YS, BF and DL differences are VERYYYY significant.
They are no where near practically the same stages just because they have 3 platforms in the same formation...the distance between the platforms spaces, the area of the actual stage, the considerable difference in the stage ceilings and walls and the edges make a big difference in practically every single matchup.

DL is good for Peach but not in the Fox matchup if the fox can camp really hard and good.

smakis

Smash Ace
this time its gonna be a bit ****ty cause the 6 people won't get to play any friendlies or tourney matches once singles starts till brackets.

There will probably be no time for friendlies apart from near the end but thats when the big games happen

so yeah, take this as a serious monthly and treat it like a tournament

Next time we can be a bit more casual
This is the reason why I'm probably not gonna come (haven't decided yet). I'm not going to these for placements or whatever (even though it's fun placing high ololol), I'm going for the chance to play melee and improve as much as possible. Each monthly cost me around 100 euro, if I assume Fuzzy house me once again I will play him for a few hours friday night, play my bracket games and a few friendlies after the tournament, then play fuzzy again for a few hours saturday night. Sunday morning I have to head for the airport.

While I do love the uk community I'm not sure this monthly is worth it =(.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
GP- Those stages are very different and do make a big difference to matchups. I'll just go through the basics with you-
Yoshi's story- very small so characters die more quickly making it a very good stage for powerful characters. Platforms are spaced closer together which works in favor of characters with a big range esp marth.

Dreamland- very large area gives an advantage to any character with a big (or bigger than opponents) recovery as tey live longer. It also has a lot of space on the stage which will work well with certain matchups.

Battlefield- the ledge has no wall and therefore removes recovery options for many characters and sometimes will not even let you grab it. Some characters suffer significantly due to the lack of a wall and can be CPed there just for that reason. The spacing of the platforms are good for comboing but not small enough to give rangey characters too much of an advantage

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
ignore the time constraint bull**** the point of this is to make the UK scene more competitive.
can you not see that having a top 8 means that potentially 4 of the places are up for the taking, it gives people something to aim for, then fight to keep once they have it.
Unfortunately, time is a big issue at this event. We can't ignore it.

if you have a top 4 then since no one defeated any on in the top 4 for ages it means there are 0 places up for the taking giving people no motivation to do better and keep there spot because nothing will change.
That's really their problem, and you are making it seem like there is nothing they can do about it. There's no reason to give 4 free bracket spots to people who don't deserve them (j3ly/smakis are debatable).

The reason why the other 4 don't deserve it currently is because we're basing it off unreliable rankings, there haven't been enough events for top 8 to work. It would be more reasonable after we've had more of these events, but for the time being I believe using 8 is not realistic.

the "good enough" is based purely on what they got last time. that is where the competitive aspect comes in. your just mad at the moment because its people picking the top 8.
I covered this in the point I just made.

I've stated multiple times that I don't believe I should be in the top 8, nor do I want to, I enjoy pools and I think that any position out of the top 4 in our community is meaningless so these spots don't even hold value to me. Don't misunderstand me, my personal feelings aren't included in this.

edit: I don't like top 6 but as long as its top 8 from the next and its the top 8 from this event who get the places, then it dose not really matter.
jolteon having just written this then I was the idiot if you where happy about top 8 after this tourney once we have an 8 to go from.
I don't really understand this bit.

It is hoever difficult to configure this in a "fair and just" way for the first tournament, but as beast said it will work itself out after this one.
So for this tournament in particular we should limit the free bracket spots, no? This way the people who want a spot in the top 8 for the next tournament have a good chance to play for one at this event, rather than being screwed over by who we assume is top 8.

Top 6 sounds like crap, I think if we're doing anything outside the top 4 then we do 8. It's either or as all the players in there are beatable anyway, and this isn't even the point. The point is to set it up so we have a working, more competitive system.
6 happens to work quite well in comparison to 4 for this event since we DO have time issues for this event, and 5 pools happens to work very nicely with 5 tvs.

And I've only briefly read people's posts on the page before, but it seems that mostly there is some kind of upset over the idea that 4 people who are not markedly better than the rest of the community should get a free ride at this tournament. Why are we not just looking to the placings at GT4 to decide the lower top 4? It's simple and solves the problem. Whine all you like but you'll have to fight to get into the top 8 and that's what makes it interesting.
This is a good solution, but I think it would only work if we came up with this at GT and mentioned to people what value their bracket positions would hold in future.

Also what will the stage ruling be for this tournament?

I actually think the BEAST stages were pretty good. We've trialled them at monthlies before and it just makes more sense. PS as counterpick and that's it.

FoD vs PS = no argument in which is more neutral imo. PS has multiple forms, 2 of which have shine infinite areas for fox and gayness for lots of situations (broken ****ty ledges, windmills etc). FoD has....duh duh duh....moving platforms. Surely that's less unfair than loads of weird transformations?
I do agree with you as I've stated many times before. The way it affects match-ups shouldn't even be considered, that's just part of the match-ups themselves, we should base it on exactly how balanced the stages are.

Well either way, both stages suck as a neutral so it's not a big deal to me.

Yes, I think trialling systems is the best way to decide what works best (if you recall I experimented with doubles at one of the previous tournaments and also with doing doubles second at a brawl event), but really for this event specifically I can already tell why top 8 won't work.

Peach has a much easier time cornering people on smaller stages, DL64 gives fast characters with a projectile a much easier time getting out of ledge traps, moving around her and just camping the crap out of her in general.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
This is the reason why I'm probably not gonna come (haven't decided yet). I'm not going to these for placements or whatever (even though it's fun placing high ololol), I'm going for the chance to play melee and improve as much as possible. Each monthly cost me around 100 euro, if I assume Fuzzy house me once again I will play him for a few hours friday night, play my bracket games and a few friendlies after the tournament, then play fuzzy again for a few hours saturday night. Sunday morning I have to head for the airport.

FUZZY ALREADY SAID THAT THIS MONTHLY IS GONNA BE A NORMAL ONE .....that system is going to be trailed at the next event as we don't have enough TV's at this event for that to happen.

So you should still come as it's going to be a normal Monthlies with doubles first and then Singles with pools as normal.

Edit - THIS IS WRONG ^^^^

Jolteon

FUZZY ALREADY SAID THAT THIS MONTHLY IS GONNA BE A NORMAL ONE.....that system is going to be trailed at the next event as we don't have enough TV's at this event for that to happen.

So you should still come as it's going to be a normal Monthlies with doubles first and then Singles with pools as normal.
he told me yesterday that this event is top 6, unless he's changed his mind.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOL Nah I just realised I read his post wrong...

Oh well, so is doubles happening at this event then or not, I think it still should be cos otherwise this event is gonna be kind of bull****, it's not worth experimenting a new system which doesn't hold as much value as doubles.....

Jolteon

So who are the top 6 people which are going through then?
J3ly and Smakis with the addition of the top 4?

And is the amateur bracket going to be a single elimination bracket?
As far as I know, it works like this. You 6 (top 4+j3ly+smakis) are automatically going to be put into the bracket immediately, the remaining people will play in 5 pools on 5 TVs (top 2 go through) for a 16 man bracket.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
SMASHFEST AT ALPHA DASH THIS FRIDAY with recording equipment (hopefully Mic which is getting tested today) and Big Hard Drive to record as much sets as you want to be uploaded a lot quicker then the last ones lol.

WHO WANTS TO COME!?!?!?

VA

Smash Hero

so essentially you come to uk tournaments for pools?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
As far as I know, it works like this. You 6 (top 4+j3ly+smakis) are automatically going to be put into the bracket immediately, the remaining people will play in 5 pools on 5 TVs (top 2 go through) for a 16 man bracket.
Ok, and the people who don't get through pools go into their own bracket right???

Since I thought that was the whole original point of this and putting the top people through so less games get played which saves time for the other bracket of the lower people, not just putting the top people through for the sake of putting them threw lol.

Jolteon

SMASHFEST AT ALPHA DASH THIS FRIDAY with recording equipment (hopefully Mic which is getting tested today) and Big Hard Drive to record as much sets as you want to be uploaded a lot quicker then the last ones lol.

WHO WANTS TO COME!?!?!?
I want to go.

Ok, and the people who don't get through pools go into their own bracket right???

Since I thought that was the whole original point of this and putting the top people through so less games get played which saves time for the other bracket of the lower people, not just putting the top people through for the sake of putting them threw lol.
we don't really have enough time at this event to run an amateur bracket

L-J

Smash Ace
so essentially you come to uk tournaments for pools?
C'mon it's perfectly clear what he means - the extra 4/5 proper tournament sets he would play in pools to go with bracket matches, friendlies, MMs, etc would be taken away. If those sets are removed, the balance between spending a considerable amount of money to attend and play as much Melee as possible and simply spending nothing and not going swings towards the latter. It's not just 'I go to tournaments to play pools and they're the most important part for me', it's a cumulative effect and this would tip the scales towards him not attending.

VA

Smash Hero
This is getting kind of silly now. People were opposed to the idea of an amatuer bracket on some grounds (I can't remember what). Now they are saying they wouldn't attend because they don't get enough matches? Also LJ, are you suggesting that 4 tournament sets are enough to keep someone from paying 100 euros ot travel? That seems pretty weird to me. I get experience from all the matches I play, but generally the most experience comes from playing people on my level or only just better than me (I didn't learn **** from getting ***** by armada). So not getting those 4 sets isn't exactly what I'd call a dealbreaker. If it's getting experience you're after, beating people in pools is not where it's at.

Pools are a very specific way of organising a tournament. There are many other ways of doing it. Also, if you go straight to bracket, I'm assuming there's one TV available for friendlies? I'm not itnerested in playing friendlies anyway, I want to watch more hype pools matches.

eurgh this is so complicated :/

smakis

Smash Ace
I think I'm being misunderstood, it all comes down to the amount of TVs, if I don't play pools I play friendlies instead so that doesn't matter to me. But with the amount of TVs summing up to be 5 the total games I get to play is much lower. Like the monthly before gt4, same issue, barely got to play at all while at gt4 having all TVs for melee made the tournament so much more worth it.

And yes obviously playing the right people is important, and not having to play pools would enable me to play friendlies with the other people who also go straight to the bracket.

VA

Smash Hero
lol yeah I actually thought that was what you were saying, that it was an issue related to the TVs.

How about this:

We do not change the way in which this monthly will be run and attempt to set out some kind of ruleset for the next one? Thereby encouraging people to show up to this one (so you can get your top 8 for next time).

Does that sound better?

L-J

Smash Ace
I assumed there would be no TVs for friendlies with the shortage, hence why I thought Smakis would be unhappy with only being able to play bracket matches and no friendlies until TVs are freed up right at the end. If there's a friendly TV though that would help people like him a lot.

It's is all very complicated lol. I don't even really have an opinion anymore - as long as there's doubles I'll be attending and hopefully whatever system gets used this time informs our decision on what to do next time.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I got infracted by Yeniths and I feel like a real man now.
If Yen has never infracted you then you are nothing but worthless scum.

<3

Top Bottom