• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Ben, this has nothing to do with egos, the fact it when you are consistently placing 1st/2nd in pools for years that it really does end up being a waste of time to complete your matches only to 2-0 every single person in your pool.

Until the rest of the UK learns to man the **** up and cause upsets I don't see this changing for a long time.

@VA: I thought about top 4 as well, it does make more sense to me, but I dunno top 8 is a convenient number.

/e LJ I see your point as well, since GT2 (sny excluded) I've placed 2nd most of the time in my pool now and 1st a few times, but I don't think I'm good enough to be part of the top 8 line-up. Still, I'd like to see my effort rewarded with a seeding if I got 1st in a cut-down pool.
who said this was about egos? Not me. If there are pools then every entrant of the tournament should be in a pool or that isn't fair on anyone that still has to get through pools

Tamoo

Smash Master
Make it top 4, I love pools, happen to suck at them, and really want to use characters other than jiggs at this so pools would be great practice for me. Regardless of actual top 8s, if it is top 8, put me with the dregs of the community pls :)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol That would be funny, obv you would get ***** though so you might as well team with Edwin.

Try entering a tournament without being high.
do you guys really play tournaments while high?
im afraid if i do host a tournament, all illegal substances will be banned and if you smoke it at the venue youll be bahooted out and have to go to the bed and breakfast down the road which is about 100 pound a night ^.^
also, may have a setup for street fighter 4 and have a one pound entry, single bracket tournament, any melee-ers who would enter?

VA

Smash Hero
that reminds me- can someone put me in the dregs too
dw you'll be there. and you are the one who said it was arrogant to put the top players through.

lol this dregs bull**** is actually winding me up.

the amount of times I've heard people be like "I've got Fuzz in my pool" or "I've got Prof in my pool".

Do you know what that means that people say this?

Anyway just accept it, some players are better than others, considerably so.

If you're not one of them and you want to be, make it ****ing happen or sit the **** down.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
lol god I'm glad you were banned from my fests

consider it permanent.
You won't ever be attending any of my fests/ tournaments either. By the way I ought to remind you that your rudeness has shocked many players at one of your fests before, I sincerely hope I never have the displeasure of seeing you again

VA

Smash Hero
oh Ben.

I didn't actually mean you are in the dregs of the tournament, you were the one who suggested it. Now you're trying to bring up things people have said behind my back? I'm not trying to change the way the monthlies run for my personal benefit. It's to make it more competitive. Don't you think it's a little bit pathetic of you to think that it's do with MY ego that I would do this?

Just scrap this idea. I'm not going to involve myself with trying to change things for the better.

Also, if ANYONE has a problem with me at my fests, say so now. Not to Ben. (Though I can't really imagine who has been doing this?) I have been hospitable as far as I'm aware at my fests and I don't want to continue running them if people are **** talking about me behind my back.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
people stop, really. this is a game and we are supposed to be a community, there really is little need for any type of arguement considering that-in the end-this is a computer game designed to be played by a group of friends

as for my two cents on the ranking, i teckon that it should be top four are automatically into the bracket. as its comminly known those who are unlucky enough to be drawn into a pool with the best player in it will need to perform significantly better than other people in other bracket where there isnt one of the top players.
from what ive gathered of the melee community by being on the sidelines. ive come to the conclusion that there is a significant divide between the top 3 and everyone else (much like the brawl community to an extent) and those would be fuzzy, prof and VA. whoever fourth may be is up to the tournament organiser or whoever has been put in charge of seeding. it really doesnt need people to unleash the burning rage of a thousand suns into a simple question.
im expecting to get flamed somewhere along the line for posting sensibly...

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
oh Ben.

I didn't actually mean you are in the dregs of the tournament, you were the one who suggested it. Now you're trying to bring up things people have said behind my back? I'm not trying to change the way the monthlies run for my personal benefit. It's to make it more competitive. Don't you think it's a little bit pathetic of you to think that it's do with MY ego that I would do this?

Just scrap this idea. I'm not going to involve myself with trying to change things for the better.

Also, if ANYONE has a problem with me at my fests, say so now. Not to Ben. (Though I can't really imagine who has been doing this?) I have been hospitable as far as I'm aware at my fests and I don't want to continue running them if people are **** talking about me behind my back.
Calmed down a little now-

It's time I spoke a little less angrily. VA- I appologise for saying you were arrogant. All I meant to really say was that I think the top 4 should also be in pools etc. You are allowed to go to any of my fests- that was a bit of an angry thing (again I'm sorry)- although I don't know if/when I will be hosting anything.

Also, no-one has been talking about you behind your back to me. Anything that anyone has said would be things you know anyway. No-one thinks your a bad host, in fact I've heard good things about your fests. If you're wondering why I get so angry at you lately then it was because you banning me from your fest was quite frankly insulting. Just think how you'd feel.

more stuff in PM

VA

Smash Hero
VA's fest was awesome btw

both VA and beast were amazing hosts, sacrificing their own comfort for us etc

Just sayin'
Thanks Tamoo, I do actually go to a lot of effort to make sure people have fun and are comfortable at my fests and I was really pissed to think people were saying **** about me/my fests.

I don't even sleep at the house, I go and sleep at my friends and have to wash her sheets as a price cos she's picky.

So yeah Ben, I get your point about being banned and stuff. But right now I can't be dealing with all this emotional stuff. Just try to calm yourself down a bit in the future, because regardless of what you say, you have done this exact thing with me on at least 2 occassions in the past and when someone says **** like that to me, I don't just roll over and forget about it.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
im afraid if i do host a tournament, all illegal substances will be banned and if you smoke it at the venue youll be bahooted out and have to go to the bed and breakfast down the road which is about 100 pound a night ^.^
also, may have a setup for street fighter 4 and have a one pound entry, single bracket tournament, any melee-ers who would enter?
No, smoking illegal substances near that venue isn't allowed. Not only would the venue owner get pissed off and probably not rent it out to us again but there's plenty of police that patrol the area, kind of a ******** place to do it in the first place.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Come mine pre tournament :)

George'll be here.

This goes to you too sean and rich if you can make it, haven't had a proper full crew fest since before george joined.
:o I would actually love to but I'm bringing someone to this and I don't know if he'll be allowed/be welcome there. He's a total scrub (like total scrub) but he's keen as hell

smakis

Smash Ace
I would like to point out that va and beast are the worst hosts ever, they shamelessly STOLE my beloved pillow, oh how many sleepless nights did I have to endure before I cunningly tricked them into returning it MONTHS later?

This is a warning to you all, make sure you put your pillows in a secure place before inviting beast or va to your house....

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I would like to point out that va and beast are the worst hosts ever, they shamelessly STOLE my beloved pillow, oh how many sleepless nights did I have to endure before I cunningly tricked them into returning it MONTHS later?

This is a warning to you all, make sure you put your pillows in a secure place before inviting beast or va to your house....
lol, i dont use bededstuffs really anyway

and i probably wont ever go to a melee fest unless i suddenly become good

rustediron

Smash Lord
GP do you main lili? What bnb combos do you use off her launchers, mine are a bit **** I've found :S

also <3 your fests VA

though washing sheets is massive effort lmao, what do you do to them 0_o

Oh and we should stick with the VA's top 8 list, for this tournament I think, just top 4 is definitely still a waste of time :S
And it's not like it's a clique that players are going to have trouble breaking into, you just have to get top 8 this tournament lol.

Yeah this make sense.
Also I haven't lost a set to ANYONE in the UK for two years except Fuzzy and VA
The last person I lost to was Chrisboi at GGT1 which was like 2 years and a half ago.
I think the top 4 people should go straight through.
Chrisboi was ****ing on fire at GGT1 lol

No, smoking illegal substances near that venue isn't allowed. Not only would the venue owner get pissed off and probably not rent it out to us again but there's plenty of police that patrol the area, kind of a ******** place to do it in the first place.
Reminds me of when me, dave, fuzz, Tam and j3ly were walking back from AD's and Tamao goes "what's that funny smell?" LOL

Heartstring

Smash Legend
GP do you main lili? What bnb combos do you use off her launchers, mine are a bit **** I've found :S
errr.....
allow me to explain, the largest extent of gameplay ive done is with my little brother, i have absolutely no idea what your on about
the combo i tend to use for the highest posible damage is her wekan 10-hit combo (the one wehere she stands on them at the end) > f+1+2 > 3>2>3. almost a one hit k.o

yeah im extremely new to competitive tekken XD

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOOOL At this shattering J3ly's world.
And yeah people really do (no trolling or joking behind my statement, J3ly honestly does, all the time at every event without fail :reverse:) so i'm glad to see it's banned because it means I either get to see no J3ly....or a J3ly who breaks down because he can't inhale his daily drug....or a banned stay in hotel J3ly.

So it's a win-win-win lol

that reminds me- can someone put me in the dregs too
LOL I'm not going to lie but this to me Ben honestly reveals why you were partially salty about not being in the Lower Top 4 since you feel it's some personal attack on the lower people or some attempt to make the better people in the community bigger.

But in reality this system is only really beneficial on the lower people, there's no benefit for us ('me' I mean, I would only say 'us' if you were included in the top 8 :bee:)

You won't ever be attending any of my fests/ tournaments either. By the way I ought to remind you that your rudeness has shocked many players at one of your fests before, I sincerely hope I never have the displeasure of seeing you again
I hope this isn't talking about when I said 'I think you should come to the fest and that's its gay that you're banned' about....since you're displaying it as something I might of potentially said behind VA's back when I did actually say it in the thread and to VA lol.

Thanks Tamoo, I do actually go to a lot of effort to make sure people have fun and are comfortable at my fests and I was really pissed to think people were saying **** about me/my fests.

I don't even sleep at the house, I go and sleep at my friends and have to wash her sheets as a price cos she's picky.

So yeah Ben, I get your point about being banned and stuff. But right now I can't be dealing with all this emotional stuff. Just try to calm yourself down a bit in the future, because regardless of what you say, you have done this exact thing with me on at least 2 occassions in the past and when someone says **** like that to me, I don't just roll over and forget about it.
VA's Fests > My Life

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Also im uploading some videos on the

www.youtube.com/user/OoCSmashBaby

Channel now, but it's gonna take awhile but im pretty happy with the quality improvement from what it was like before, just takes longer to upload because it's a bigger size but thats the price to pay for better quality and that's what leaving your computer on is for lol.

The matches in Queue are

Me vs Jolteon - Set 1
Jolteon vs AC
Alpha Dash vs Gantz
Me vs Jolteon - Set 2

gm jack

Smash Lord
I'm all for the top 4/8 not playing, and giving people who have to do pools a better chance to break through. It's a huge upset for someone like fuzz to even lose a game in pools (im2gd :awesome: ), so being unlucky and being in their pool pretty much just means there is one less spot to compete for.

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Also im uploading some videos on the

www.youtube.com/user/OoCSmashBaby

Channel now, but it's gonna take awhile but im pretty happy with the quality improvement from what it was like before, just takes longer to upload because it's a bigger size but thats the price to pay for better quality and that's what leaving your computer on is for lol.

The matches in Queue are

Me vs Jolteon - Set 1
Jolteon vs AC
Alpha Dash vs Gantz
Me vs Jolteon - Set 2

Tryed my hardest to watch but it just got too boring.:glare:

rustediron

Smash Lord
Wait what? Never been to AD's nor do i remember that incident lol
sorry then it might have been fuzz LOL

Been trying to ring you most of the day but your mobile number isn't working. I'm back!

I personally fall just outside the top 8, but in case I slip into it I thought I'd put my opinion across. I like doing pools. They warm me up. I agree top 4 should go through, because their early bracket is their warm up, but I wouldn't say the same for me. Very few bracket games are a walkover, so the pools warm up is helpful.

All we need to do to have more time is start the tournament on time. Every time it is late because people don't show up on time. If we started at 1, we'd save at least 2 hours and have no problems getting through everything. Also people like their breaks too much. Clear rules (and enforcements) on how long you get between matches would also save at least an hour.
RE: Warming up
Just get there earlier (as per your own suggestion ;D) and play friendlies to warm up lol

errr.....
allow me to explain, the largest extent of gameplay ive done is with my little brother, i have absolutely no idea what your on about
the combo i tend to use for the highest posible damage is her wekan 10-hit combo (the one wehere she stands on them at the end) > f+1+2 > 3>2>3. almost a one hit k.o

yeah im extremely new to competitive tekken XD
I don't play competitive tekken either lol, I don't even have the game I just play with some friends occasionally. I find people learn how to block the standard 10-hitters after the second or third time you use them though :S

Heartstring

Smash Legend
hmm... this was in related videos for the Melee Motion Blur thingy video... I'm not sure why but I know GP/Anaky would anjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASNoEZjHG9c&feature=related
too old

I don't play competitive tekken either lol, I don't even have the game I just play with some friends occasionally. I find people learn how to block the standard 10-hitters after the second or third time you use them though :S
yeah but its kind of awkward when to block all of hers you have to keep switching betwene standing block and crouching block to not get *****. and anyway, if i get someone who's overly defensive ill jsut use the 10-hit combo with a shieldbreaker ending. its like the only game where ive managed to memorize combo's. which is a good start.
although probably the best combo to end bounces is 3>1>3>penguin XD

rustediron

Smash Lord
I find I can interrupt most 10-hitters with a uf3 launcher (which can get you a **** load of damage lol) once I figure out when they're going to do a low hitter :S

And yeah 313 is an amazing bound combo lol
Wish db4 was a bit quicker though, it's really easy to block once you figure it out, it's her only low hitting launcher, and it's like ****ing unsafe at -24f on block or something. At least she's crouching the whole time so you can go for CH I guess :S

EDIT: What's penguin?

Top Bottom