• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Theory Tackles Zoning In Smash 4

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
In Smash 4, zoning is a huge part of the competitive game. Because attacking a shield is so inherently risky, keeping a character at a proper distance from its opponent is incredibly important. Keitaro and False have put together another video that shows off exactly how zoning works, and how players can do it properly. It's also been recorded at 60 frames per second, so if you have the bandwidth crank up that quality!

What do you think? Is this useful to you? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit has barely had to write since @TewnLeenk and @SmashCapps showed up. Live the easy life with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I thought by False it was mentioning @ False Sense False Sense for a second there.
It seems another competitive player goes by the name of "False." Sadly, I'm not quite qualified to be making lessons on competitive Smash. :p

But my username is completely superior, obviously.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
That was really informative and I liked how he did his editing. It was seamless.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
This series is great so far. Can't wait for more!

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Dude. The Sheik upsmash making his hurtbox lower. Totally meant to do that.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Wow. So much showing of the Smash 4 tech. Too bad it's not Melee. Am I right, Melee Jackoffs?

Li'l Devi'

Smash Cadet
NNID
TFSRunner
Wow. So much showing of the Smash 4 tech. Too bad it's not Melee. Am I right, Melee Jackoffs?
First off, what?
And second, zoning is something you can use in every iteration of smash.
And of course there's going to be a lot of smash 4 tech and info on the front page, that's what helps a game grow competitively: spreading the word.
There's not much "tech" left to be discover with established games such as Melee.

Last edited:

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Please leave
Why? I genuinely hate the ****ers who are all like "Is the game melee? No? Then it can die in a fire. No matter how good it looks." I hate how no one is willing to give this game a chance just because it isn't melee. Just look at this video. There is so much you can do with the game just in zoning alone.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It seems another competitive player goes by the name of "False." Sadly, I'm not quite qualified to be making lessons on competitive Smash. :p

But my username is completely superior, obviously.
Just to be safe, when you go professional, we'll have to refer to you solely as 'Sense'.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
That's kinda useful, but it doesn't teach you how to zone but I guess that's something you have to learn on your own

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Why? I genuinely hate the ****ers who are all like "Is the game melee? No? Then it can die in a fire. No matter how good it looks." I hate how no one is willing to give this game a chance just because it isn't melee. Just look at this video. There is so much you can do with the game just in zoning alone.
Spewing random insults like some guy in a Youtube comments section against a community that hasn't done anything on that video/ page yet, while generalizing every member of that community as rude, mean or stupid is making the problem worse.

minilabs

Smash Rookie
I'm looking forward to more videos like this because I plan on learning Bowser.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
jezzus some buddy has to edit a top level smash fight like this. with all the slow mo and stuff. it would be freaking epic.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Spewing random insults like some guy in a Youtube comments section against a community that hasn't done anything on that video/ page yet, while generalizing every member of that community as rude, mean or stupid is making the problem worse.
It's funny cause I see this guy makin the same exact comments on youtube.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Inb4ed it. This is all a bunch of melee like shots and I thought I'd tackle melee player's complaints before they needed to... Complain.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Inb4ed it. This is all a bunch of melee like shots and I thought I'd tackle melee player's complaints before they needed to... Complain.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Like you havent seen all the melee players all over the place calling the game **** for no reason.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Like you havent seen all the melee players all over the place calling the game **** for no reason.
Of course i have. But:
You realize the reason I can repeat this is because it's true.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Of course i have. But:

You realize the reason I can repeat this is because it's true.
Not every member. Just the ones who go on the comment section of a thread/video showcasing smash 4 tech and going 'Please, you're just kidding yourselves. The game is gonna die in a year anyway." It just pisses me off and I want the melee community to get a handle on it's smash bros xenophobia.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Not every member. Just the ones who go on the comment section of a thread/video showcasing smash 4 tech and going 'Please, you're just kidding yourselves. The game is gonna die in a year anyway." It just pisses me off and I want the melee community to get a handle on it's smash bros xenophobia.
I know the feeling. i'm also tired of the melee players that do that. But they're nothing we can do about that. Yes it's wrong to bash a game like that because it's not like the one you play. But stooping to the level of the detractors to get them to stop isn't the best method. I know you're trying though. Maybe just wait until it actually happens.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
I know the feeling. i'm also tired of the melee players that do that. But they're nothing we can do about that. Yes it's wrong to bash a game like that because it's not like the one you play. But stooping to the level of the detractors to get them to stop isn't the best method. I know you're trying though. Maybe just wait until it actually happens.
What I'm doing isn't even remotely similar.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
@ Owlflame Owlflame If you want to take the higher ground, don't open with statements like "Am I right, Melee Jackoffs?" because that makes you no better than them.

Also, seeing this series tackle melee theory would be very interesting, as melee has much more movement to shake up the neutral game. The game is also very developed, so they could cover specific situaions with greater insight.

Top Bottom