• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Theory: Get hit

forward

Smash Champion
Get hit

This is what is dominating the upper level of play right now.

We've all heard "play smart" and "camp" as effective strategies, but few people know to attack.

In order to attack you can not be afraid to get hit as a result.

As much as we love ZTD combos, they are rare. In most matches you see a quick exchange of blows untill one person gets knocked away, and the other gains control of the arena.

THIS IS HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED

Even if you exchange attacks for 70%, but you make the finishing blow, you are the victor. It doesn't matter if you win a tournament by 3 stocks or 1 stock very high percent, a win is a win, and as long as you know how to come out the victor, you will.

How to apply this: Instead of trying to follow up your attacks with more attacks, follow your attacks with defensive buffers.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Two threads made so quickly? This and the shield thread...trying to pepper up the melee discussion part of smashboards forward?

Yes, this is a good thing to be getting across, even moreso depending on the character's matchup and the weight differences/recovery methods.

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
i thought about your defensive buffer idea very little (not so concrete before i read your topic on it).

anyways, my impression from your theories so far is that to improve, minimize casualties and therefore play even more solidly, you'll have put in A LOT MORE inputs aka button presses than ever imagined before. i've never thought deeply on that before. "l-canceling is not enough."

"Instead of trying to follow up your attacks with more attacks, follow your attacks with defensive buffers." getting hit definitely is a topic less conscienciously thought of and something to discover more about.

damage management, interesting... thanks man. i wish i could learn some more.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the second half of your theory (creating a defense set up instead of continuing a combo) is really important at high percentages and particularly you last stock.

Many of the slow falling characters can break out of combos by simply using a n-air. If they do that successfully before you can KO them, they can easily regain control of the stage leaving you in a dangerous situation. However, by refusing to make a risky attack, you can position yourself so that your opponent will have a hard time landing without being KO'd.

Binx

Smash Master
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the second half of your theory (creating a defense set up instead of continuing a combo) is really important at high percentages and particularly you last stock.

Many of the slow falling characters can break out of combos by simply using a n-air. If they do that successfully before you can KO them, they can easily regain control of the stage leaving you in a dangerous situation. However, by refusing to make a risky attack, you can position yourself so that your opponent will have a hard time landing without being KO'd.
I think its important alot of the time, take IC vs Fox for example at mid percents I can usmash and then go up for uairs or I can usmash and stand under them, most players (especially worse ones) will come down with an attack that I expect, can easily dodge, and this turns that usmash into a free grab to death.

Get hit

This is what is dominating the upper level of play right now.

We've all heard "play smart" and "camp" as effective strategies, but few people know to attack.

In order to attack you can not be afraid to get hit as a result.

As much as we love ZTD combos, they are rare. In most matches you see a quick exchange of blows untill one person gets knocked away, and the other gains control of the arena.

THIS IS HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED

Even if you exchange attacks for 70%, but you make the finishing blow, you are the victor. It doesn't matter if you win a tournament by 3 stocks or 1 stock very high percent, a win is a win, and as long as you know how to come out the victor, you will.

How to apply this: Instead of trying to follow up your attacks with more attacks, follow your attacks with defensive buffers.
Hey forward,hows your c0ck?

wtf u stoled my avatar

mood4food77

Smash Hero
forward...why are you so good

i mean, you announce retirement, then post 4 threads, and by for, they are the BEST 4 THREADS EVER, i mean, no other thread has been so short and simple, but yet so informative, and you did it 4 times

i give you props for that

anyways...i just feel like a better player after reading this

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
I know that you can't be afriad of being hit, as the opponent is always trying to do it, but Jiggly and Kirby and other lightweights have to be much more alert. Damage taken is just as important as Damage Given.

SantaClaus

Smash Apprentice
Forward, I am loving these new threads, my man, very high quality and condensed.

on topic: I agree, getting hit is a large part of the game and trying to avoid getting hit altogether is detrimental to your focus (atleast mine).

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Attrition is great if you can do it, if you are winning or you can control it to make you win, it is another thing you are using to take down your opponents options one by one.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Forward this is CLassic! In Fact this doesnt Just Apply to Smash...Its a Rule in All fights and Fighting games lolz.So Now Im Wondering Which Hits SHOULD you Avoid? Which Hits should you Look out for and which ones should you disregard?

In My Opionion the Main Factors Between attacks of what to take and what to avoid is:

Positioning
Priority
&
Percentages

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Forward this is CLassic! In Fact this doesnt Just Apply to Smash...Its a Rule in All fights and Fighting games lolz.So Now Im Wondering Which Hits SHOULD you Avoid? Which Hits should you Look out for and which ones should you disregard?

In My Opionion the Main Factors Between attacks of what to take and what to avoid is:

Positioning
Priority
&
Percentages
Avoid ones that don't give you more than the opponent mostly, although if you are ahead and (for some reason) hurting yourself a lot could lead to a win, do it.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. You don't want to let yourself get hit with a Marth's tipper or a shine spike from Fox in hopes that you can get him back when you respawn.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I'm just posting to subscribe to this awesome thread. So may i never forget this advice. Getting hit is definitely what a good bowser knows best.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Trading hits is a bad thing to do for most of the low tiers.
The more you get hit, the higher the chance you will lose.
DK and Bowser have good recoveries, and are very heavy and strong, so they like high damage battles where....

After quoting you I saw "most"

Well, this is forward, the falco main, so, what do you expect? Lol

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
There is an interesting similarity between the few posts above me and Forward's initial post: they are all short.

There is also an interesting difference: Forward's has a lot of condensed thought behind it, while the ones above me are mindless, knee-jerk responses.

I'll explain a bit more clearly; YOU WILL GET HIT IN THIS GAME. In fact, a lot of times, you will get hit as a direct result of connecting with your own attacks, whether it's through crouch canceling, low percent hit stun, or trading hits. The idea behind Forward's post is knowing when getting hit works to your advantage.

When you hit an opponent with Marth's f-air at low percent, unless you tip with it you can probably be hit first. If you are consciously aware of this fact, you can use it to your advantage.

"Follow your attacks with defensive buffers." If I hit you, and I KNOW an instant retaliation is coming, I can prepare for my own counter-attack. When Marth f-airs another Marth in a ditto, unless he tips it, odds are he's going to get hit.

All this only adds to the depth of the game; knowing that opponent believes he can trade hits lets you force them to whiff their counter-attack and punish even harder. Ultimately, being prepared and unafraid to get hit is a key psychological weapon that lets you take advantage of every situation.

If you're a low-tier character, the reason trading hits is rarely beneficial is because your punishment options are weaker than a high-tier, so yes, usually a low-tier character has a harder time with a "get hit" mentality.

Big_R

Smash Champion
I've done this without really thinking too much about it. Comboing a floaty (or anyone at certain percents) with Falco. When I dair them and they come down with an aerial(or I think they will) I can spot dodge or shield, and if I spot dodge I can shine them again. I think the next step would be to try and read what the person would do to the defensive buffer you put up, and plan your next attacks accordingly.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Foward just keeps coming up with all these little tricks and tips which while they seem basic are so often forgotten about in competitive Smash that could revolutionise play styles. They're obviously well thought out and they seem to go against the normal style of Smash-tech. I mean that def-buffer one? whoa random defence? awesome.

Good topic. I've never been afraid of getting hit I'm a very offensive player - a good offense is the best form of defence.

Top Bottom