• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Terms??

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I feel like an idiot posting this. But.. I'm new to the online following of smash brothers. As such, I've never really given many in-game things names. I'm been playing since the original, and am not a noob by any stretch, though I'm definately a noob as far as smash lingo is concerned.

Could you guys help me?

Here's an example of a few things I don't quite get:

What's "sweet spotting," "spiking," "SHL-- (short hop laser??)?" Also, what then is "SHDL?"

I also see people use the word "punish" often. umm? Does that mean beat up on someone?

I finally realized what "DI" means! Directional Influence, or so I've read on the forums. Finally, because that abbreviation had be for a while.

Also, what is teching? I read in one place that teching is using ukemi, like, recovering before impact on ceilings, walls, and the floor. So if someone says "Check out my tech game/chase in this replay" what exactly do they mean?

Sorry I have lots of questions, but, is there any point to dash-dancing? Does it have any strategic purpose?

Thanks guys!

Orca

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
Joking? If not... search for all those terms on the smash Wiki, link for it is found at top of this website with the Yellow super star icon.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
Some pros are being mean I guess.
You're right.
SHL is short hop laser.
Check the rest out on smashwiki. There's a link to it it the header of this page.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I feel like an idiot posting this. But.. I'm new to the online following of smash brothers. As such, I've never really given many in-game things names. I'm been playing since the original, and am not a noob by any stretch, though I'm definately a noob as far as smash lingo is concerned.

Could you guys help me?

Here's an example of a few things I don't quite get:

What's "sweet spotting," "spiking," "SHL-- (short hop laser??)?" Also, what then is "SHDL?"

I also see people use the word "punish" often. umm? Does that mean beat up on someone?

I finally realized what "DI" means! Directional Influence, or so I've read on the forums. Finally, because that abbreviation had be for a while.

Also, what is teching? I read in one place that teching is using ukemi, like, recovering before impact on ceilings, walls, and the floor. So if someone says "Check out my tech game/chase in this replay" what exactly do they mean?

Sorry I have lots of questions, but, is there any point to dash-dancing? Does it have any strategic purpose?

Thanks guys!

Orca
Sweet Spotting: Many attacks actually have more than one hitbox, one being smaller than the other. The often smaller one will send somebody farther, if it connects. A prime example, is Marth's forward smash. A hitbox extends the full length of his sword, and even down part of his hand, but there is a "sweet spot" hitbox at the very tip of his sword. If you connect with that tip, even on a non-charged attack, it guarantees a kill at 100% life in the center of Final Destination, where a non-sweet spot connection (also called tipping and tipped for Marth) would require 160% (is that figure right?) from the same spot on the stage.

Spikes and spiking: Think beachball. Spikes are moves that send the character down, upon connection. These moves are ideally used when the opponent is not above the ground, obviously.

You got SHL right. SHDL is double lazer.

Punishing is when you take advantage of a character's vulnerability frames after they do a move. If, say, Link whiffs an U+B right in front of you, you can "punish" him hard as that move takes a long time to recover. You'd use a move that comes out faster than the recovery animation.

Teching is when you hit shield, as you hit the ground, out of a tumble animaiton. Just tapping shield will make you stand up quickly, where holding down a direction will initiate a tech-roll.

Anything else?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Sweet Spotting: Many attacks actually have more than one hitbox, one being smaller than the other. The often smaller one will send somebody farther, if it connects. A prime example, is Marth's forward smash. A hitbox extends the full length of his sword, and even down part of his hand, but there is a "sweet spot" hitbox at the very tip of his sword. If you connect with that tip, even on a non-charged attack, it guarantees a kill at 100% life in the center of Final Destination, where a non-sweet spot connection (also called tipping and tipped for Marth) would require 160% (is that figure right?) from the same spot on the stage.

Spikes and spiking: Think beachball. Spikes are moves that send the character down, upon connection. These moves are ideally used when the opponent is not above the ground, obviously.

You got SHL right. SHDL is double lazer.

Punishing is when you take advantage of a character's vulnerability frames after they do a move. If, say, Link whiffs an U+B right in front of you, you can "punish" him hard as that move takes a long time to recover. You'd use a move that comes out faster than the recovery animation.

Teching is when you hit shield, as you hit the ground, out of a tumble animaiton. Just tapping shield will make you stand up quickly, where holding down a direction will initiate a tech-roll.

Anything else?
thanks for the reply man! I appreciate the fact that you didn't ***** me out like some people! Any other questions that I come by I'll be sure to tackle on the wiki. Thanks again!

p.s. thanks xace and 2L8 for being kind as well. :D

-Orca

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
There used to be a thread completely devoted to Smash terms, but as I'm searching the forums for it I can't find it. I can only assume that it's been pushed far enough back into the archives that I haven't come across it yet, it's been moved to a different discussion page, or I missed it because I'm tired.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Also, sweet spotting could refer to spacing your recovery perfectly so that it just catches the edge. Most characters will grab the edge automatically on the way up, but not all do. This is where sweet spotting the edge becomes important.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Interesting, thanks Shadvdentist. :D Also, thanks nightmaren for searching the forums-- i didn't expect any1 to put time into searching through page after page, but I appreciate it!

Top Bottom