• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Sundays 11-9 Hamden, Ct

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
**BIG EDIT FOR TIME CHANGE

We will start this Brawl tourney on Sunday around 1-ish in the afternoon. Doubles around 1 and singles around 2 to accommodate all the players. The address will be 36 New Road Hamden, CT (Special thanks to all in that house for letting us host there again!)

Our blog page is

www.smashsundays.blogspot.com
Please sign up on our brawl page at the bottom so we can update you all with e-mails.

The format this time may be subject to change this time, although I have yet to decide for sure. If it does change I will edit this post the same night I make the decision to give you all as much time as possible to be better able to prepare.

Changes from last Smash Sundays

We will be using double elimination.
Our stage list has change and we have put more understandable rules (they are the 1st thing you see under the rules section.)
Team attack will be on in doubles.

**you can ask me if you have any questions, my contact info is at the bottom of the post. **

I'll be discussing these proposed changes with some of our top tier local players as well as here on this thread. Any and all opinions are welcome just please don't just voice them, back them up with some solid arguments.:chuckle:

Same rules can be found below and we will have a poster at the house. Same entry fee's 5$ per format entry. Which means if you want in singles, you have to pay 5$ and if you want in doubles you and your partner each have to pay 5$. I wish you all the best of luck!!

BRING PEOPLE!! Please bring your friends and tell them about it. The more people we bring, the more fun it will be! I hope to see you all there.

!! Contact Jason with any and all questions through phone/text/e-mail !!

Sincerely
Smash Sundays Crew
Jason Croog
(203)298-8454
Jason.Croog@quinnipiac.edu

RULES:

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages

Starter Stages will be:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Delfino

Counterpick stages will be:

1. Castle Siege
2. Halberd
3. Lylat Cruise
4. Pokémon Stadium 1
5. Brinstar
6. Corneria
7. Distant Planet
8. Frigate Orpheon
9. Green Greens
10. Jungle Japes
11. Luigi's Mansion
12. Norfair
13. Pictochat
14. Pirate Ship
15. Pokémon Stadium 2
16. Rainbow Cruise
17. Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

All characters and strategies are viable (unless you’re just trying to waste time. The specific time wasting strategies I’m referring to can be looked up at smashboards.com as well any we will be mostly following the recommended rules from smashboards. The smashboards rules can be found here ). We will run 2/3 three stock matches, with an 8 minute time maximum time limit Final match will either be a best of 3 or best of 5 match depending on time constraints. Hopefully best of 5.

This is open to anyone, not just QU students, bring your friends, family, co-workers etc.
Bring your own controllers if you want to play with a decent controller or else you might be issued a semi working one. Don’t forget you can save your control scheme on your wii motes.

If you need a ride from quinnipiac let me know in an e-mail or call or text me at 203-298-8454, we will provide some rides out of the kindness of our hearts.
Food and drinks will not be provided but you can bring/order your own. If you want to bring any alcohol you can, you must provide valid ID that you are 21 to us b4 you drink (sorry we’re trying to keep this legit) Smoking outside only (again keep it legal). Park on the street not in the driveway.

Prizes - Winner will take about 70% of entry fees, while 2nd place will get 20% and the other 10% will go to organizer/s. Actual prize money will be determined on the day of the tourney after seeing how many people attend.

If you have any questions/comments send a text to Jason (203) 298-8454 or you can contact his AIM at anhstinx or you can e-mail him at Jason.Croog@quinnipaic.edu

TeeVee

Smash Lord
This is going to be fun, ill try to tell people about it.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
that's right ace NFB > Work. As far as stage list; you should change match timer to 7m for singles 8m for doubles, or just 7m for both. Pictochat has no reason to be banned either, it's a very legitimate cp stage and good for 80% of the cast. Just a few suggestions. I will def. be going to this, and don't forget if you guys are up for it, 3v3 crew battle...NFB vs. Hamden tourney >: )

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Olimar369 I'm sorry I forgot to IM you but here's my recommendation for stage list and ruleset....

Like Icy said 7minutes. 2 of 3 finals= 3/5
double elimination
one stage strike (neutral levels) 2 counterpick bans.
team attack on no items blah blah blah.
Metaknight cape glitch is banned.
Infinites only allowed up %60(??? guys let me know what you think of this idea. Just trying to balance things)

neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story (Brawl)
Smashville
Lylat

Counter picks:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion (teams only)
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Halberd
Castle Siege
Picto Chat
Hannenbow(teams only)
Pokemon Stadium 1/2
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Pirate Ship

That's what I came up with for NFB4 with some slight revisions. In my opinion this should be the set standard for Brawl CT tournies. Also I highly recommend changing the post to listing the stages allowed, not the banned ones. It's far less confusing since this game does have a lot of stages after all it's easier to keep in mind what can be played as apposed to what can't be.

If you would like any explaination as to why I have a certain stage allowed or banned just post the question and I can give you a good explaination. The list is up to you in the end though but I highly recommend using this list.

Icy- Let's own those crews! lol. Think we can take the rest of the tourney vs. the six of us ;0)

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting psyched for this with all the trash talk coming. I'm trying to figure out a 3rd for the battle. I hate getting this excited about it when it's ssssssooooooo far away!

Wario4Ever

Smash Cadet
I honestly believe that pictochat should not be banned either. Its a reasonable stage in my opinion because its like a combination of pokemon stadium (melee) with the moving stages and Halberd with the death and the dying. =)

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Pictochat should never be banned.

Corneria should be.

What time do these usually end? I might be able to go.

Not taking the day off though, sadly. Issues at work tonight that I'd like to avoid if possible by not doing day switches again.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Pictochat should never be banned.

Corneria should be.

What time do these usually end? I might be able to go.

Not taking the day off though, sadly. Issues at work tonight that I'd like to avoid if possible by not doing day switches again.
We normally try single elimination, but we might try double this weekend. That could make it take longer. We normally end the singles around 4ish depending. Why should corneria be banned? I need a reason not just stage X should be banned because I say so. I think we'll allow pictochat this time around.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
^^^What do you think of the ruleset dude?
Give me a bit of time. I should be able to really look things over on Friday. I'll make some final decisions by this weekend. I would also love to find a time to chat real time to ask a few questions, but my sched is kinda hectic toward the end of the week. If you catch me on aim and see if I have some time to chat. Also why would luigi's mansion be banned in singles? I've chosen it as a counterpick every now and then, I kind of like it in that catagory.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
that's right ace NFB > Work. As far as stage list; you should change match timer to 7m for singles 8m for doubles, or just 7m for both. Pictochat has no reason to be banned either, it's a very legitimate cp stage and good for 80% of the cast. Just a few suggestions. I will def. be going to this, and don't forget if you guys are up for it, 3v3 crew battle...NFB vs. Hamden tourney >: )
I need to pick a 3rd from our cast and crew over here. I know for sure Wario and me are down. We prob are top 2 players from around here (that I know of) and there's a bit of debate about our 3rd. I got a few ideas though (you might know who you are;))

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLvRh_4JHQ

That's why it NEEDS to be banned in singles AT LEAST. That stage is a complete wreck. It's camp central, completely unbalanced easy for MK to do waaaay to many lame things. That stage is banned in most states.
Ok, well i don't think meta can do much more in that over other stages. Meta is pretty dominant in the right hands anyway. As to the camping, well It's mainly just hold out under the non-drop platforms. Legit strat for anyone with repeating combo moves (eg pika's Dsmash, ROB's Dsmash, Meta's Neutral B. ) on the pillars to help extend the damage animation and screw up other players. The building is relatively easy to destroy which eliminates the camping. I think it's just an extension of the average lower ground has general advantage in brawl. I don't know if it's deserving of the ban hammer yet. I'll make sure to post the decision by Sunday. If anyone else has any opinions on this, please give us some informative comments after watching the vid Nana posted up. Thanks for the info Nana I really appreciate it :)

Unzorn

Smash Rookie
Luigi's mansion is a little unfair for some characters, but that's why it's on counter pick, lol.
If it annoys anyone THAT much, they can always ban it when its their turn on counter pick.

noodles

Smash Champion
TO= tournament organizer 10% of the pot goes to the TO instead of doing that why not have a 2$ venue fee for him. that way 1-3 gets paid and so does he (probably around 30$) so he cant complain. everyones happy
what about this?

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
what about this?
He, being me, doesn't want people to have to pay more then what we already do so far. Not everyone in our tourney is hardcore and I don't want to have them to pay more. Our tourneys aren't that big and tend to have a few casuals (casual players that is) in them. I think it'll hurt our already limited turnout if we up the price at all. I just don't think it's too much of an issue. That being said, I would end up getting more money then I do now, and while I really don't have any aversion to getting more money, that's now why I run this. I don't mind a bit of compensation for the work and time (which is more then I legit should, just ask my friends how much I annoy them with smash subjects) I put into this venture, but I really don't want to dissuade anyone coming to this because of any little increase in price. I also understand the desire for bigger pots --> bigger prizes, but alas most of our regs are college kids which means 5$ is already a meal for them lol. If we start to get bigger turnouts and I think It wont affect us as bad, we can change it some time in the future. We do have these Smash Sundays twice a month so I don't feel the need to change it at this current juncture.

I really feel odd saying I don't want more money... what is wrong with me...

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Honestly I think luigi's should not be banned. Only once was a MK smart enough to destroy the house on me, and then i was in a cluster ****. Hayato ***** me with snake at the first brawl esticle because he destroyed the house because of me being an ******* on the stage. As far as Corneria, it's a very legitimate CP and should not be banned, i hate that stage a ton but it just has no reason to be banned.

And double elimination is a VERY good thing compared to the single elimination. Double elimination gives you another chance to catch up if you get unlucky in your early rounds. That would suck to vs. a really good player your first round and then all of a sudden out of the tourney. If you have any questions about double elimination, just send me nana moon doggie or noodles a msg to see how it works.

Oh yeah, you kids are gonna get ***** in this 3v3 kthx

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Double elim ftw

I need someone good to partner with me to take on icy-noodles...

me noodles and icy are gonna poop on kids in the 3v3

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Teevee, you can't take on me and noodles, duh. But yeah, you need to find a partner so there are more doubles teams

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
I should be teaming with M-D TV but if not I'll team with you if you want. I have to see.

As far as double elimination goes it's a must IMO and it really won't slow the tourney down too much. You can run multiple matches/brackets at once and everyone is off from time to time so it's really only fair. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

Icy I took out Corneria pretty much soley for DDD and excesive camping.

Luigi's on the other hand I took out because it's too big, when you knock it down easy for camping/ledge stalling. the ceilings are hacked and it's just an all around unbalanced stage. That's why it's good for doubles though, you can't exploit it as bad. It's also just sooo huge it's almost as big space wise as Hyrule Temple...lol what?! Characters like DDD, Bowser, DK, anyone who is heavy can't die on the **** thing yet can kill you relatively quickly. Honestly, just look at that match there's a reason the rest of the matches from that set were average of 3-4 minutes and that one was over 7 minutes. I am highly against Luigi's Mansion I really hope you reconsider ha.

Guys, we should do a 5v5 so M-D and I can get in on this. Make it a whole crew battle.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yeah but hamden is having trouble getting a 3rd, let alone a 4th and a 5th. Let's keep it at 3v3 and see tourney day what they have for an outcome

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Bah. BAH TO YOU! Clearly just a weight reference. That being Olimar's "best stage" I wonder what percent his light *** would need to be at.

But that's just DK's advantages there.

Olimar can camp the fin so hard, and quick escape from the tail section easy. Meta is super gay there. Diddy, D3, DK, Ike and probably many others have grab infinites there. I think most of the cast can grab release on the wall. Wario has a sorta bite infinite not really but kinda...

Corneria is super gay.

And this is coming from the Sonic main... and it's easily Sonic's best level despite all that. Sonic is hax on Corneria.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yeah i cp'ed this on kevin at last newbs for brawl and he tipped me off the back wing at 30% to death. twice.

noodles

Smash Champion
BAN THE LEVEL (and yes im only trying to get rid of your cps <3)

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
I think I'll prolly be going to this cause I never work Sundays :)! NFB4 was my first tourny in RL so this should be good fun as well.

Just curious...I may have missed it in the first posts but exactly which sunday in november is this on, and do you want as at your place by 11am or 1230pm?

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
This tourney makes me laugh.

Stages

Starter Stages will be:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Delfino

Counterpick stages will be:

1. Castle Siege
2. Halberd
3. Lylat Cruise
5. Brinstar
6. Corneria
7. Distant Planet
8. Frigate Orpheon
9. Green Hill Zone
10. Jungle Japes
11. Luigi's Mansion
12. Norfair
13. Pictochat
14. Pirate Ship
15. Pokémon Stadium 2
16. Rainbow Cruise
17. Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
This is the worst stage set I have ever seen.

Try this on for size

Neutrals:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshis Island
5. Lylat Cruise
6. Pokemon Stadium

(Delfino is NOT a Neutral stage. The stage moves around too much and it is far too easy to kill someone horizontally.)

Counter Picks:

1. Halberd
2. Pictochat
3. Brinstar
4. Distant Planet
5. Frigate Orpheon
6. Luigis Mansion
7. Norfair
8. Pictochat
9. Pokemon Stadium II
10. Rainbow Cruise

There is absolutely NO NEED for Green Hill Zone, (LOL!!!! Green Hill Zone!) Castle Siege, (DD and Falco Chain grabs anyone???) Corneria, Jungle Japes (No, just no.) the Pirate Ship, and Yoshis Island.

Also, you NEED to make it 3 stock and have team attack be ON.

If some of this is fixed and it ends up looking like a legitimate event, I may pop my face in and play for a while.

Dark Peach: I can house you. I'll offer it up to you again man.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLvRh_4JHQ

That's why it NEEDS to be banned in singles AT LEAST. That stage is a complete wreck. It's camp central, completely unbalanced easy for MK to do waaaay to many lame things. That stage is banned in most states.
Yeah, You are slowly starting to see stupid **** in Brawl? Good to hear. Did you see that MK ditto finals match on Green Greens? That's too good.

br4n

Smash Apprentice
PoF why do you act like such an elitist, its kind of lame dude.

edit: telling someone that their tourny makes you laugh etc etc, is not really a great way to welcome someone new to the community obviously he is willing to learn, theres not really a need to act like that.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Neutral Stages: (Set to Random)

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

CounterPicks:

Delphino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Castle Seige
Jungle Japes
Halberd
Pstadium 1/2
Pictochat
Brinstar
Corneria
Pirateship
Rainbow Cruise

This is what i would recommend for stage choices.

Oh yeah, Team Attack is REQUIRED for teams. Without team attack, there are multiple strategies that can be abused and make a team untouchable. If you want this to be a fair doubles tournament, make sure you require team attack on.

All matches should be 3 stock, 2 stock is way too quick for a match and if someone gains upper hand they pretty much can keep it.

Lastly, i'd say most matches are best 2 / 3 but finals are 3/5, and if double elimination that means losers, winners AND grand finals are all 3/5.

Just a few tips to help keep a smooth tourney ran xD

Top Bottom