• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Sins

3bubby

Smash Rookie
Every game has a list of no no's for the player. Actions and techniques that cross the line of fun and friendly to come off as unsportsmanlike. In most cases, these things are looked down upon. Same goes for Smash Bros. Let's call them Smash Sins.

Here are some I try not to do:

1. Taunt Punish: I consider it a cheap shot to attack an opponent while they are taunting. I've seen opponents respectfully veer off their attack and hop away to avoid attacking during a taunt, but I've also seen opponents charge in for a small boost of damage. Be the former!
*EDIT: How you use the taunt matters, of course. The taunt I mean is the pre-game salute. When someone hits you during a greeting-taunt, SAIN.

2. Rinse Repeat: It's always easy to break an opponents pattern, but too often I'm stuck in disbelief that a character will repeat a combo to win. There are over 1400 moves in this game to enjoy, so using a maximum of six at all times is a little silly. OR VERY SINFULLLLLLL.

3. SD for the Game: Play to the end! Hopping off the edge isn't fun for anyone! (Leveling the stocks is a different story)

4. Trash Tag (For Glory): Trash talking, but through the tags during a For Glory match.

5. Roll, don't run: I saw a Sonic, the fastest character, do nothing but rolls to move across a flat stage. SIN.

6. Prolonged Toying: Treating your opponent with respect fosters good sportsmanship and a decent reputation for the community. Don't overdo the teasing, juggling, trapping moves when they aren't needed. That being said, a little styling is fine. Practice makes perfect, after all.

7. Counters: Super Smash Diner. They have nothing but counters to offer. Of course, grab 'em, squeeze 'em.

8. Teabagging: Consider the tone of the match. Is teabagging going to be received well? No? SUN.

I'd love to hear other ideas for Smash Sins!

Last edited:

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
I strongly disagree with #1. I'm not going to let someone taunt me in-game without trying to break them out of it. I don't mind if a buddy of mine does it during friendlies, I do it sometimes as well. However, I'm not going to just stand by and let him do it to me. During a tournament match it's widely considered a **** move to taunt your opponent, and no one would fault the other player for taking advantage of an opponent who was taunting.

I mostly agree with #'s 2 3,4, & 5. I think another "Smash Sin" is when someone pauses and rage quits the moment they realize they are about to lose their last stock in a tournament match. I never understood this logic, as it's very unsportsmanlike and just makes you look like a sore loser.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Lmao, if anything Taunting itself is disrespectful, it's called a "taunt" for a reason.

Anyone using the same combo and relying on the same move over and over again will fall apart very quickly when he plays a smart player. I wouldn't say spamming is a sin, but you shouldn't do it either if you want to play smart.

Trash tagging is annoying. Nothing you can't ignore and just move on though. Just remember that on the other end, there is a broken person with a lot of self esteem issues who needs to go play an online game and beat other people to make themselves feel like they matter. A truly sad tale.:crying:

Last edited:

MASTER719

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I land a hit that I know will kill I insta-taunt. Is that really considered so rude in tournament or just friendly rude?

Senshu

Smash Cadet
1 is based on the situation, if it's a greeting, then yeah don't hit them, if they taunt you after a kill and get hit for it, that's their problem.

2 is stupid. If there's an obvious pattern, don't stare in disbelief, do something different, it's not their sin, it's your lack of focus.

3 is saltyness, that's a Sin.

4 is disrespectful, that's a sin.

5 is lack of skill, borderline sin, they just need to be taught how to play the game.

@ STOB STOB Depending on when you are talking about, some players know when they are defeated on their last stock, and just quit to save time, it's not rage quitting.

Last edited:

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
#1 is situational. If I'm fighting a mirror match and someone taunts, I'll taunt as a good luck wish to both of us (as long as they go first; otherwise I start the fight). If they're getting cocky with some cheap crap, I'll gladly punish their taunt, especially if they're wide open and awaiting a KO.

#3 is eh. Sometimes, people know when they're beat. It's not fun, but getting thrashed isn't either.

#4 I HATE THIS SO MUCH.

#5 I recently fought a team match where that's all a Sonic did. Literally read every move with a counter.

I believe playing Little Mac in general on FG is a sin lol. It's just... so bad lol.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
"Counterpicking" Ganondorf just to disrespect me is one thing, but closing out the game with a Ganoncide is definitely a sin. Also, teabagging. Remember, kids, no matter how "awesome" the kill was, teabagging is never okay.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
1. Taunt Punish: I consider it a cheap shot to attack an opponent while they are taunting. I've seen opponents respectfully veer off their attack and hop away to avoid attacking during a taunt, but I've also seen opponents charge in for a small boost of damage. Be the former!
Taunting at a time that will leave one vulnerable... I will punish that if I get the chance.

2. Rinse Repeat: It's always easy to break an opponents pattern, but too often I'm stuck in disbelief that a character will repeat a combo to win. There are over 1400 moves in this game to enjoy, so using a maximum of six at all times is a little silly. OR VERY SINFULLLLLLL.
I had someone complain about this in Brawl... close the distance on me then I will stop PK thundering you!!! I like being nice and safe over here because you aren't getting past this.

As for mine...

Picking temple: That level is terrible... there is no valid reason or excuse to ever play this level and whoever okayed it being in this game needs to be demoted if not fired.

Double teaming when it isn't strategically beneficial. Coincidental stuff happens... but nothing long term.

Playing Charizard in for fun online mode: Just stop it... the downside of him shows in stock matches, but in that 2 min time match.... If you do that for more than one game I am out. (FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD WHY ISN'T THERE A WITH ANYONE STOCK MODE YET!!!)

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
3. I hate this. You have to be a pretty shameless player to do something like that.
4. Annoying as all hell.
5. How could it even be fun to play that way?

Another one (in my opinion) is using "counter" as your only move throughout an entire match.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
1 - Debatable. I normally back off when anyone taunts when a match starts or after a very silly moment.
2 - Smash ends up becoming more boring for me every time I encounter this... I really hate to complain about Ness or Link cause I wanted (or used to) main them. But the frequent tactics just killed the mood for me.
3 - Don't start what you can't finish! *elbow drops a crocodile*
4 - Well ain't that pleasant... Win or Lose, it may happen. It's a game, people. Come on.
5 - Smash Bakery. Nuff said.

Now for my take...
Ganoncides, Kirbycides,etc. - ...They'll do it. Stay away from that there edge, sonny boy.

Shield Breaks... - ...or at least taunting / goofing around before the dizzy foe meets their demise. *shrugs*

Toying with your Foe - Let's say you could finish them off at any point, but choose not to, simply for kicks n' giggles. I would "hug" my pals instead of throwing them. There are other scenarios, but I won't list them all.

Insult to Injury - Going for a Meteor / Knee / etc. when a player has clearly failed to recover.

Misuse of Side Specials - *Cough* Jolt Haymaker *Cough* Debatable, but it's rather common for anyone to accidentally fling themselves offstage. Be careful with those things, lads!

Getting sat on by King Dedede (Super Dedede Jump Meteor) - Actually, I threw this one out for laughs. It's not a sin, whether or not it worked. XD

D

Deleted member 269706

I feel like the act of Ganoncide is a sin...but that's why it feels so GOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Easily my least favorite thing anyone does in a match is ragequitting. Leaves the other player unsatisfied and the quitter looks like an ass.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Insult to Injury - Going for a Meteor / Knee / etc. when a player has clearly failed to recover.
I can see this one being frustrating... at the same time, being a not so great player... if I am 1 stock up on an opponent, and I know I won but see the chance to practice that... I will probably take it. It is a part of the game I am having a lot of trouble finding/creating openings for... and I need to work on it.

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I remember a Yoshi player on For Glory tried to do this to me with his Dair, which ended up unwittingly saving me.

Magikarp Lv100

Fish Pokémon
NNID
MagikarpLv19
I think another "Smash Sin" is when someone pauses and rage quits the moment they realize they are about to lose their last stock in a tournament match. I never understood this logic, as it's very unsportsmanlike and just makes you look like a sore loser.
I have to admit, I'm guilty of this against Broseph during Anvil Smash Weekly #7. Though I did not rage, I congratulate him, and un-paused the match, Though in my defense I did not realize the pause function was still enabled. Didn't realize this was a pet peeve of yours, I'll be sure to watch out for it.

Last edited:

s00pahFr0g

Smash Rookie
I do SD matches in FG because sometimes I just get into a match and I'm off my game. I want to reset the game state and keep fighting that player, although I usually do that to players who've already been rude by some of these standards.

I'm not very good at smash yet, especially not online, so I really hate it when I'm playing someone who is already consistently beating me and then they switch the character I've been playing the whole time just to beat me with them.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I don't think there are any sins. If I'm getting styled on, that's my fault. As long as I keep getting better, the number of people that can disrespect me just keeps going down. :4falcon:

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
I don't think there are any sins. If I'm getting styled on, that's my fault. As long as I keep getting better, the number of people that can disrespect me just keeps going down. :4falcon:
In cases like Falcon & Ganon, I really can't complain, no matter how hard I try. It would indeed be my fault if I fell for a Knee or any of Ganon's offstage shenanigans. Overall, we eventually adapt and outcrazy the crazies with our own taste of style / disrespect.

Technically, there is no "right" way to play Smash, these and my takes are more or less pet peeves. There are times where we have to be just as dirty to show them our moves. And when we win, they'll think about their mistakes........or not.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
I have to admit, I'm guilty of this against Broseph during Anvil Smash Weekly #7. Though I did not rage, I congratulate him, and un-paused the match, Though in my defense I did not realize the pause function was still enabled. Didn't realize this was a pet peeve of yours, I'll be sure to watch out for it.
It's all good Marcus, I know you're not a salty kind of guy.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I know there is no way of communicating this through For Glory, but I hate it when I run to use the bathroom, get a drink, etc. after a match but my 45 seconds runs out and the match begins to find yourself thrown off the edge.

As for the taunting, number 1, I agree with to some extent. If its used as a greeting or as a way to virtually shake hands (my use and interpretation of it) then I find it totally acceptable. When its used to mock or make fun of another player then I consider it offensive. i do like to taunt after a KO to celebrate my own achievement (sure we can call it that) but others may take it the wrong way. It all depends on the nature of the person and their perception of the taunts pretty much.

ALSO I AGREE SO MUCH WITH NUMBER 4, I FIND THIS SO IMMATURE AND DISRESPECTFUL!
I don't mind "lol" when I do something dumb, however.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I know there is no way of communicating this through For Glory, but I hate it when I run to use the bathroom, get a drink, etc. after a match but my 45 seconds runs out and the match begins to find yourself thrown off the edge.

As for the taunting, number 1, I agree with to some extent. If its used as a greeting or as a way to virtually shake hands (my use and interpretation of it) then I find it totally acceptable. When its used to mock or make fun of another player then I consider it offensive. i do like to taunt after a KO to celebrate my own achievement (sure we can call it that) but others may take it the wrong way. It all depends on the nature of the person and their perception of the taunts pretty much.

ALSO I AGREE SO MUCH WITH NUMBER 4, I FIND THIS SO IMMATURE AND DISRESPECTFUL!
I don't mind "lol" when I do something dumb, however.
Unfortunately there is no way to communicate.. a "request 2 min break" button would be nice... if they say yes got enough time if not you know to leave the game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The game is about hitting the other guy off the stage. If he taunts and you can hit him, it's his fault. Don't be a scrub.

If it works, why stop doing it. Stop being a scrub. I'll use Street fighter as an example. If all you do is block, all I will do is throw. Play to win

3. SD for the Game: Play to the end! Hopping off the edge isn't fun for anyone! (Leveling the stocks is a different story)
Why do you care? If they SD, you win.

4. Trash Tag (For Glory): Trash talking, but through the tags during a For Glory match.
Cry me a river.

5. Roll, don't run: I saw a Sonic, the fastest character, do nothing but rolls to move across a flat stage. SIN.
Punish his rolls then.

6. Prolonged Toying: Treating your opponent with respect fosters good sportsmanship and a decent reputation for the community. Don't overdo the teasing, juggling, trapping moves when they aren't needed. That being said, a little styling is fine. Practice makes perfect, after all.
Nothing wrong with this. I like to use falcon's dair until people ragequit. Ever since smash 64.

Sounds like you have 1000000 johns and pre-set mentalities to justify losing or being salty. You are a complete and utter scrub in the very definition of the term. Not a noob, not a bad player, just a horrible scrub. Very surprised you didn't use the word "Cheap"

You know what's a SIN in smash brothers? Your mentality.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
The game is about hitting the other guy off the stage. If he taunts and you can hit him, it's his fault. Don't be a scrub.

If it works, why stop doing it. Stop being a scrub. I'll use Street fighter as an example. If all you do is block, all I will do is throw. Play to win

Why do you care? If they SD, you win.

Cry me a river.

Punish his rolls then.

Nothing wrong with this. I like to use falcon's dair until people ragequit. Ever since smash 64.

Sounds like you have 1000000 johns and pre-set mentalities to justify losing or being salty. You are a complete and utter scrub in the very definition of the term. Not a noob, not a bad player, just a horrible scrub. Very surprised you didn't use the word "Cheap"

Well, you're a bit of a ****.

All of the things mentioned other than perhaps excessive juggling/toying and trash tagging are just irritating. They don't provide enjoyable matches, or good practice. That's why they're listed- not because they're unbeatable techniques or anything.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well, you're a bit of a ****.

All of the things mentioned other than perhaps excessive juggling/toying and trash tagging are just irritating. They don't provide enjoyable matches, or good practice. That's why they're listed- not because they're unbeatable techniques or anything.
Like I said, his attitude is even more irritating. He expects OTHER players to follow this invisible set of rules he has made up in his mind.

When you put mental blocks on yourself like this (Example : Spamming projectiles is cheap) you are not doing anything to help your competitive mindset. And if you aren't playing to win, why are you playing at all?

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles

This is the lamest post I've ever seen on these boards. This is Smash Brothers for God's sake, no need to act like a tough guy on the internet.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Tough guy? All I am saying is don't be a scrub. Simple.
"Don't be a scrub."
"Cry me a river."
"if you aren't playing to win, why are you playing at all?"
"You are a complete and utter scrub in the very definition of the term. Not a noob, not a bad player, just a horrible scrub."

Your posts read like lines that the antagonist bully character from a 90's children's movie would say. It's lame tough guy speak.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Sigh. Smashboards. Where people think their feelings matter and that it's ok to be a scrub. It's no wonder the general competitive FGC looks down on us as a whole.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
This thread isn't what I thought it would be. I wouldn't really classify these things as Smash Sins, but I might watch too much Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers on YouTube. A lot of things in the OP are just trolls trying to get a rise out of people, and it seems to work most of the time.

To me a smash sin are:
Not realizing you have more damage than your opponent when time expires, thus losing a match.
Using Little Mac's side b too close to the edge SDing.
Air dodging at the edge of the stage so you can't grab it and losing a stock.

We all have brain farts when playing the game. These things we know we shouldn't do, but we make a mistake and just have to laugh at ourselves. These are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Nothing wrong with being a scrub. How good you are at a video game means nothing in life.
Everything is wrong with being a scrub. It's like being forced to play video games with your little brother who can't jump over a hadouken and cries about it.

there is NOTHING wrong with being a noob, or even sucking at the game. The point is to play to win, and to lose with grace. Making up excuses for why you lost or what goes against your invisible ruleset is really unnaceptable.

Nah

Smash Champion
I guess that the only thing that I don't really like people doing is when people switch to Fox after I beat them in the first game. Ok, maybe they just legitimately wanna use Fox, but I think a lot of the time people just do it cuz they're salty that a Robin beat them and know that Robin sucks at handling Fox on an Omega stage. It's like they're basically saying to me "I'm less skilled than you and can't beat you normally so I'll just use a character that ****s on yours".

Though maybe picking a character with a good matchup versus yours is a normal thing for people to do?

But it's really not a big deal to me, do whatcha want. The stuff in the OP doesn't matter to me really.

Top Bottom