• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash Run

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Probably going to sink countless hours into this. I loved kirby air ride so much that I rebuilt a demo of city trial in java and OpenGL with my friend, so suffice to say, the announcement of Smash Dash left me quaking in hype.

Also, more Smash Dash dungeons as DLC, would buy.

Annex

Smash Ace
Seems really fun, but I'd rather it just give you a certain number of stat points to allocate before the match.
I guess that could get really broken though...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Seems really fun, but I'd rather it just give you a certain number of stat points to allocate before the match.
I guess that could get really broken though...
Ya gotta play kirby air ride to understand.

A very skilled fighter will still come out on top, leveling up too much can leave your character highly uncontrollable, like an insanely high jump or speed might not necessarily be a good thing.

I'm so butthurt as a wii u owner right now. A non competitive mode that I'm actually hyped for. At least now I can warrant purchasing a 3DS for a reason other than the game comes out first for the 3DS.

Grinch21X

Smash Apprentice
Yknow as I was watching I was like "Wow this looks wayyy retardedly similar to city trial in Kirby air ride and its ****ing rad." Then Sakurai basically recounted that thats EXACTLY what it is and I was like "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--".

Im LOVING the Metroidvania layout feel it has.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Wait, the game comes out first for the 3DS? I thought it came out first for the Wii U.
EDIT: I just now watched the Direct video, so I'm all caught up now.

Last edited:

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
I am pretty excited for Smash Run. I really loved the City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, so I think this will be really cool and fun.

Junahu

Smash Ace
I'm definitely hoping Smash Run can be played online.

Sakurai states that it's "different to normal online battles". It seems odd to specifically mention online battles instead of just battles in general. So I'm optimistic that there's some online love to be had here

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Download play would be the icing on the cake for this mode.

By the way, there was one "drop" that appeared when an enemy was destroyed that Sakurai never explained. It was a brown or bronze colored Smash symbol.

HONY

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1450-7268
It looks like a LOT of fun, but I hope the faster characters don't have a clear advantage by being able to cover more ground and get more ability points.
I love games that feature a strategic 'pre-battle' element so this is right up my alley.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
This mode alone is enough to make me want to get it ASAP, as much as I'd prefer the Wii U version, being on a big screen and all.

Plus, the Kritters appearing in it considerably boosts the chances of King K. Rool.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
It looks like a LOT of fun, but I hope the faster characters don't have a clear advantage by being able to cover more ground and get more ability points.
If that is true, I'm gonna use Sonic all the time. It's lucky for me since I plan on maining him anyways.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Was thinking of only buying the wii U one, but now I have to get both. I loved city trail in Kirby, I WISH This has online.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Was thinking of only buying the wii U one, but now I have to get both. I loved city trail in Kirby, I WISH This has online.
did they say it didn't have online? I was under the impression that it would.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
This mode looks really, really great. A nice incentive to double dip on 3DS and Wii U versions. Glad to see Sakurai and Co. are still devoted to a solid single player option. Obviously, most of us (myself included) spend way more time in multiplayer, but I know I've definitely gotten some mileage out of the 1P options too!

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
I spent many hours playing City Trial with my friends and it never got old.
I love that Sakurai brought back the City Trial aspect and I'll spend hours on this as well.

I don't think this game mode has online use though, the only modes I recall were For Fun and For Glory, I do hope I'm wrong.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
I love that Sakurai brought back the City Trial aspect and I'll spend hours on this as well.

I don't think this game mode has online use though, the only modes I recall were For Fun and For Glory, I do hope I'm wrong.
I think Sakurai mentioned a "random fighter" option. That could mean many things, but it could mostly mean online fighters

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

My brothers and I used to play City Trail for hours. When we saw that we looked at each other and just high fived. I think it is a sweet edition for the 3DS.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Holy crap it looks like so much fun.
I want the 3ds version now.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
This was the highlight of the Direct for me. It's good that Sakurai is acknowledging his previous work, and it looks like he's recreating it in a 2D platformer-style, which already seems better than Subspace.

did they say it didn't have online? I was under the impression that it would.
It has multiplayer, but "local" or "online" weren't said. Custom movesets was the one that can be used for online multiplayer with friends.

Ya gotta play kirby air ride to understand.

A very skilled fighter will still come out on top, leveling up too much can leave your character highly uncontrollable, like an insanely high jump or speed might not necessarily be a good thing.

I'm so butthurt as a wii u owner right now. A non competitive mode that I'm actually hyped for. At least now I can warrant purchasing a 3DS for a reason other than the game comes out first for the 3DS.
Get Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Very great games.

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
You know what I think would be a cool part of the mode? Mini-bosses. Like, you walk into a room, and then BAM! Poppy Bros Senior. Defeat him, and get special power-ups. I think mini-bosses could really spice up the gameplay a bit.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I was already hyped for the Wii U version, but thanks to this, this version's online and the release date, I'm ready for the 3DS version!

i still like wii u more though

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I wonder how the Chandulure's Will-O-Wisp works. Does it burn you, or does it give direct damage? Also, the map for smash run looks amazing.

210stuna

Smash Lord
It's not really my cup of tea.

I'm glad others are hyped for jumping insanely high or moving at lightning speeds in a free for all though.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You know what I noticed? There were no enemies from a few series like sonic or earthbound. Do you think we will be seeing enemies from all series or just a few? I mean, you really can't put enemies from F-Zero in lol.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I have my doubts, but I seriously hope there can be an online mode for this. Just pitting random people against each other would work fine since power ups and enemy appearances are randomized and anybody can end up super-prepared or under-prepared.

Aside from that, something I've wanted for an "improved City Trial" is more than one challenge at the end of the upgrading round. Like a best of three or something. So even if the first game wasn't successful, you can hope for the next game to suit your upgrades. Always felt like the whole mode ended too quickly for all the effort expended to build oneself up.

D

Deleted member

I prefer the title, "Smash Dash." It just sounds nicer, you know?

I am personally excited for Smash Run. City Trial is the thing that makes me keep coming back to Kirby's Air Ride; this mode will probably do the same thing for me here.

Also, thank god that almost every series is getting represented with an enemy! Fighting the enemies in the SSE was annoying since they were all the same, bland enemies.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
You know what I noticed? There were no enemies from a few series like sonic or earthbound. Do you think we will be seeing enemies from all series or just a few? I mean, you really can't put enemies from F-Zero in lol.
Sakurai did state, during the direct, that the enemies encountered are randomized each time the mode is selected, so it's possible.

Looking at this mode just keeps making me think "metroidvania" or "metroid-like", at least in terms of map design. I can't wait to get my hands on the 3DS version just for this mode!

Top Bottom