• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ladder or For Glory?

Which is your online training ground?

• Total voters

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
For Glory - Filled with salt and casuals, you can still improve their, but it's not very effective. However, you can get in a lot of Smash battles, and it can help with matchup experience. Not very well though, since For Glory has habits that many people acquired and use. Also, most For Glory players uses Taco Bell wi-fi.

Smash Ladder - One big advantage is that you are not restricted to only Omega stages. You can use Skyloft, Lylat, the typical legal stages in a tourney. 95% of Smash Ladder users care about their wi-fi, and have outstanding connection. It is like playing offline, which is a plus. You also have a chat to communicate with your opponent. No more using all caps in tags! The only problems that stands out that is you can only get like 6-8 Smash battles in an hour. Setting up is kinda tedious The site can lag badly sometimes, and you have to scroll down to select a character in a match, and scroll back up to chat.

TL;DR

Smash Ladder
Pros-
Great connection
Better stages
Better matchups

Cons-
Setting it up can take long and (or) be a bit tedious
Omega Stages aren't allowed (I guess that's a con)

For Glory
Pros-
Get many battles in
Can work on habits

Cons-
Most players use crappy hotel wi fi
The salt is real
Most players use the same habits/strategy (example: down throw combos)
Tier whores are everywhere

Which one do you prefer? I choose Smash Ladder personally. It's not bad at all!

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I enjoy Smash Ladder too, but I'll use For Glory as well. Smash Ladder also isn't as useful for the stages if you only have 3DS.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Cons-
Setting it up can take long and (or) be a bit tedious
This is the only thing that keeps me from really utilizing Smash Ladder.

Only playing FD is a bit annoying on FG, but it's nice to just be able to turn the game on and play.

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
Smash Ladder is great and has improved the quality of my matches, while also allowing me to use Mii Fighters and Customs, but dear lord does that website lag like no one's business! Wish they could do something to improve it.

Timbroslice

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0190-0848-4221
What exactly is smash ladder? I'm going to google it of course, but anything I should know? Do I need to be really good to play on it bc I'm just looking to get better

Drippy

Smash Ace
What exactly is smash ladder? I'm going to google it of course, but anything I should know? Do I need to be really good to play on it bc I'm just looking to get better
Smash Ladder is generally filled with people who actually want to play the game competitively and overall is a pretty kind and helping community. You basically just make an account and can make a queue for someone to join and play you or you can join someone's else queue, and also it has a pick / ban phase for stages and such. It's just a very competitive environment and you're bound to meet a lot of people who are willing to help you and in general are good. It's also easy to pick people to play with because it'll tell you the person's location (of course they have to do it themselves but generally everyone does it) and also skill rating so you can be pretty picky with who you want as opponents. Do not worry about being good because there are tons of new players and beginners at Smashladder and in the end it's a pretty nice community there.

Also just to add onto my post and to answer this thread's question, definitely Smash Ladder is my choice for the reasons stated above. I don't hate For Glory but it can be really laggy since you play with people around the world and also it's not really easy to communicate with people compared to Smash Ladder. You have to use tags which can take a long time and even than your opponent will not always want to cooperate and the "GGs!" or "GLHF" stuff which I can understand since it wastes time and everyone want a quick match. I'll only play For Glory if there's no one on Smash Ladder of my skill level / region or there's just simply no one really on and if I'm just lazy and want some quick games or for quick matches so I can play against other people and get into the habit of adapting.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I would love to use smash ladder. Problem is since I live in Hong Kong, the time zone difference means there's never anyone online at the same time as me, so I have go play FG against a bunch of japanese players that drop out as soon as they see an american player tag.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Because of how many people in a row I get the error code for, I choose FG Turns out, even if I find a person to play on Smashladder and friend them, it's still possible the error code will happen.
Basically when it happens it kinda means an automatic dispute for the match.
Some people somehow never have the error code? Seriously?

But yea I would have to choose FG, no matter how many noobs,annoying people,omega stages,same general characters being played, no customs, and possible lag that it has........................

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
In for glory's defense,there is a small faction of friendly people who say "gg" every match and are generally good players and good sports.

Smash ladder is the way to go though,even if how long it can take to set up a match and having the website lag here and there.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I play some FG, but moreso I practice against the AI (usually level 9, sometimes amiibo). Fwiw their timing is quite impeccable.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
To be honest I haven't seen any difference between the two. FG people spam and play like trash, So I thought going to the ladder and they're no better half the time. Spam, tier*****. Only plus side really that the ladder has they won't leave after the first fight and doesn't have the Japanese quitters. ( No disrespect to japan players )

Mecha Mario

Smash Rookie
NNID
MechaMarioAE
3DS FC
1993-8462-2177
Tried Smash Ladder for awhile, and was ok experience when trying it. Most matches were a good experience overall, similar to my FG experiences. Four matches from four players caught my attention tho.

For two matches, found a really good Link player and a really good Zelda players that were really fun to fight and wish to fight them more! Breath of fresh air as well for the Link player especially, as wasn't a typical FG spammer and was on my toes as was caught off guard at first, but slowly started to get his style of play! These are the kind of matches I want to play, and push myself to get better.

Then two matches were just typical salt from the opponents. First one, got called a camplord by one (I used Mega Man, he used Yoshi (who killed himself three times btw and wasn't that fun to fight overall). I'm guessing he was assuming I was just gonna u-tilt and d-tilt all day on a projectile based character? Also only player out of all my smash ladder matches did mention that I was "campy" yet pretty much everyone else either like or love my Mega Man).

The other blame on connection quality and saying he was getting like 2 frames a sec at the end of our second match when I beat him with Mario dittos. My internet is not bad. :p Honestly, it was playing just fine, and he didn't mention that during the first match either when I was Sonic and he was Captain Falcon. In general chat, swear I saw him mention he wanted to quit Smash 4 anyway before we fought our battles, so may have tipped that more?

Overall, not seeing much different between the two, but will give them that they both got ups and downs for sure.

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Too many luigis have pissed me off on FG. I do use it tho just to warmup and learn how to play against annoying habits like grab spamming and such. However I can get critique and tips on the ladder which is always a plus. The community also doesn't make me want to break my face into the wii u

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Tried Ladder once, but I got criticized by someone saying I played too defensively. I sorta wondered if to come back because it was like saying I had to change my gameplay style, which I didn't really want to do, and would the critique at me get worse the more I'd keep on going. But it was a long time ago.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
I personally really like Smash Ladder. I find it much better than For Glory, and I personally haven't played FG in months because of it. I find the level of skill the players have there to be better than FG, so I tend to go there because I feel like through setting up a match and playing on there, I learn more than playing FG a lot.

That being said, there can be a few salty players there. I've probably run into more than most people because I play Link, and zoning characters in general, so people can get salty about it, but that's just how some people are, it's kind of hard to avoid regardless of what game you're playing and where.

On the upside though, you also get to learn to play on more stages than just FD, so that's a plus as well.

Overall, I'd say Ladder is the better of the two, at least for me anyway.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I signed up for Smash Ladder but I haven't actually used it yet (too busy to actually sit down and play). I've heard good things though, so maybe when I actually do get around to using it, it'll replace For Glory for me.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
To be honest I haven't seen any difference between the two. FG people spam and play like trash, So I thought going to the ladder and they're no better half the time. Spam, tier*****. Only plus side really that the ladder has they won't leave after the first fight and doesn't have the Japanese quitters. ( No disrespect to japan players )
The ranked matches have better matchups. Or you just came across salty players in Ladder. No worries though. It happens.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
The 3ds lacks an RT button, forcing you to use either L or R+A to grab (the latter is obviously not a problem for shield grabbing, but can be for dash grabs, and L is just so contrary to muscle memory). It also has fewer competitively legal stages. (Just realized this is irrelevant in FG.)

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
What I meant is that I don't see why different platforms would have one rubbish side and then a non rubbish side. I'm saying that both of them about the same to me.

EDIT: Still both have spammy player, and everyone still picks the same stages.

Last edited:

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
What I meant is that I don't see why different platforms would have one rubbish side and then a non rubbish side. I'm saying that both of them about the same to me.

EDIT: Still both have spammy player, and everyone still picks the same stages.
Lol I mean as in almost all of them on the ladder prefer to play on the Wii U

Top Bottom