• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash is the hardest game there is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Since you seem to know that now hopefully any "debate" topics you make in the future will be more thought out. If you really were just trying to practice your debating skills maybe you should actually know what debating skills are, so you aren't practicing ignorant "I'm write (edit: <----lol @ me) and you can't prove me wrong" ****.

xEnvYx

Smash Cadet
True

Smash does as well. I think this is pretty obvious too.
How so? In smash if you block something high..then you also block something low at the same time.

Smash has different attack strengths, but its more chara specific.
If its char. specific then it really doesnt count. Because i think me and the original poster were refering to the system throughout the whole game. It also is WAAAYYYY more of a factor in a game such as 3rd strike as opposed to smash.[/quote]

the object of smash is to get them off the stage, so unless i'm missing something important what?
Are you going to be rushing someone off the stage when theyre at zero percent? I hope not. Many char. whole strategy revolves around you throwing the opponent to the wall whenever your oppenent isnt already there. (Necro players usually command throw you to the wall at the start of the match and do there cool lil wall comboes..if you escape there just going to try to mind game another command throw and do it all over again)

This is true however when you're at high percents the chances of you approaching isn't very high.
That all depends on the player. I know people that play more cosiously when there percent is high, but i also know players that are really aggressive throughout the whole match regardless. Again the same could be said for 2d fighters..when your health bar is low you go into the same situation of when your at a high percent in smash. So it really doesnt matter.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Smash takes alot of skill. No doubt but shooters are a different kind of skill too. Can't really compare apples and oranges although I like oranges more.

KazeNoFat

Smash Cadet
It was most likely aimed towards me, but could have been aimed at a few others? ;)
Dude, you really acted very biased on these debates.. You knew about nothing on other 2Ds and you make a thread like this.. Meh.. Then from page 1 to 21, you bust that "no good reasons why smash isn't better" which ticked off many.. That was just being ignorant. Well, I'm outta this thread, it's been fun.. If you wanna really debate, respond to the main points of a post and not just small parts then you just look dumb and you avoid the questions.. About it, outtie..

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Smash is still pretty in-depth though. Not as hard as some other games but its not easy.

Who here thinks that smash takes more skill than GoW and H2.

I seriously believe that.
Well here you're talking about FPSes... and they DO take alot of skill.

It's just that playing FPSes requires a different set of skills.

EDIT: And high level Halo 2 is pretty hard... I can pull off that double-shot kinda easily (thanks to the skills I got from fighting games) but scoring 4 headshots in a row like the MLG guys do, takes a lot of skill man

Brookman

Smash Hero
A: Shield stabbing. The high-low thing exists, but it's not nearly as strict.

B: the fact that jabs/tilts/smashes are different for every character doesn't change the fact that all the moves have different speed/priority/range/etc. Unless I misunderstand why common fighters having the different level of attacks is, I don't see what the difference is.

C: I will definitely try and get you the **** off the stage at 0% if I can. Camping the edge and getting gay kills is how smash is played, not by hitting them till their percents are high and hitting them with a smash attack.

D: it REALLY REALLY doesn't matter.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
Dude, you really acted very biased on these debates.. You knew about nothing on other 2Ds and you make a thread like this.. Meh.. Then from page 1 to 21, you bust that "no good reasons why smash isn't better" which ticked off many.. That was just being ignorant. Well, I'm outta this thread, it's been fun.. If you wanna really debate, respond to the main points of a post and not just small parts then you just look dumb and you avoid the questions.. About it, outtie..
Respond to them with a more wrong statement? lol.

xEnvYx

Smash Cadet
Smash is still pretty in-depth though. Not as hard as some other games but its not easy.

Who here thinks that smash takes more skill than GoW and H2.

I seriously believe that.
You cant compare the games in terms of skill but in terms of competitiveness nothing beats halo 2. Seriously..i think we can all agree that thats the most competitive u.s game. FPS's Dont rely on skill but on fast reflex's, fast thinking, and the most intense mindgames ever. I dont think any fighter can compare to the mindgames of a fps. Games such as halo are based on strategy (4v4's). That being said..you cant compare fighting games and fps's in terms of skill only in competitiveness. In which your crazy if you think any game is more competitive then halo in the united states. Also noone said smash wasnt in depth.

Brookman

Smash Hero
That being said..you cant compare fighting games and fps's in terms of skill only in competitiveness. In which your crazy if you think any game is more competitive then halo in the united states. Also noone said smash wasnt in depth.
You know someone is ignorant when they say something like "If you think this than you are this because* this."

*often omitted.

Halo has plenty of technical skill involved in it's high levels of play. Can't we just shut the **** up about comparing games? All competitive games are good. If you really want to bash on some video games attack MMO RPGs. Those things are ****ing awful.

Aesir

Smash Master
How so? In smash if you block something high..then you also block something low at the same time.
How long have you been playing smash? lol

I'll use link as an example since its easy.

Marth dashes and blocks as link comes down with an aerial the aerial is canceled into a jab link jabs twice then down smashes the down smash hits through the bottom of the shield because of shield pressure.

all characters can do this basically, shields can be shield stabbed thus the concept of the high low mix up is there. Is it the same exact thing? No smash isn't a 2d fighter so its to be expected but the same general idea exists.

If its char. specific then it really doesnt count. Because i think me and the original poster were refering to the system throughout the whole game. It also is WAAAYYYY more of a factor in a game such as 3rd strike as opposed to smash.
Not entirely true either.

Example Fox is off the stage using fire fox marth jumps down and uses an unspaced fair. Why would he do that? it has low knock back and significantly lower damage why? simple its a different trajectory. Tippered fairs knock the opponite up while non tippers knock them horizontally. Not all moves have this but atleast every character have a few that work like it.

Are you going to be rushing someone off the stage when theyre at zero percent? I hope not. Many char. whole strategy revolves around you throwing the opponent to the wall whenever your oppenent isnt already there. (Necro players usually command throw you to the wall at the start of the match and do there cool lil wall comboes..if you escape there just going to try to mind game another command throw and do it all over again)
Thats exactly what you do in smash. You can compare edges to walls.

Marths want to keep their opponite near the edge because marth works best that way its easier to get kills for him when he's on the edge. This is marth 101 get them off and keep them off. Hell thats smash 101.

That all depends on the player. I know people that play more cosiously when there percent is high, but i also know players that are really aggressive throughout the whole match regardless. Again the same could be said for 2d fighters..when your health bar is low you go into the same situation of when your at a high percent in smash. So it really doesnt matter.
I'm mearly pointing out that percent can be compared to your previous example.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
You cant compare the games in terms of skill but in terms of competitiveness nothing beats halo 2. Seriously..i think we can all agree that thats the most competitive u.s game. FPS's Dont rely on skill but on fast reflex's, fast thinking, and the most intense mindgames ever. I dont think any fighter can compare to the mindgames of a fps. Games such as halo are based on strategy (4v4's). That being said..you cant compare fighting games and fps's in terms of skill only in competitiveness. In which your crazy if you think any game is more competitive then halo in the united states. Also noone said smash wasnt in depth.
yea h2 has to be the most competitve game out there I mean **** so many people play it. >_>.
Some are very ignorant (Halo 2 players) If you mention smash some will laugh and say, "Isn't that a 2d game with pokemon and mario fighting hahaha." (Has happened to me before)

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
The double shot?

Halo is pretty broken IMO. The BR is WAY too strong. Anyone ever mastered the Four Shot? Instant Death. . . BxR<Four Shot all the way.

BigRick

Smash Master
A comment about the corner/ledge thing...

You usually want to avoid the corner/ledge but there is some exceptions to the rule (which are character/matchup/situation specific) where it can be a good idea to retreat to the corner or ledge in order to camp/defend yourself.

Think rope-a-dope.

xEnvYx

Smash Cadet
A: Shield stabbing. The high-low thing exists, but it's not nearly as strict.
Shield stabbing is true but its too moment specific (sorry, cant find the right word) to be compared to something thats a general base of the game.

B: the fact that jabs/tilts/smashes are different for every character doesn't change the fact that all the moves have different speed/priority/range/etc. Unless I misunderstand why common fighters having the different level of attacks is, I don't see what the difference is.
jabs/different moves all have different speed/priority/range for every character in every fighting game. We really cant say anything about that because it applies to every game. Ill try to explain the dif. levels of attacks though. Ok so..we have 3 buttons for a punch/kick. Lets say you a down, down-back, back and a weak kick. (tatsu) If you do it with a weaker kick it might send the opponent upwards and you can combo before they fall. If you do it with a medium force kick it, you would put more frames of lag on the move but it would do more damage and send them in a dif. direction. If you do it with a fierce kick the move would have WAY more frames of lag but deal way more damage to your opponent. It would also send them farther, but the added frames of lag wouldnt allow you to combo off of it.

C: I will definitely try and get you the **** off the stage at 0% if I can. Camping the edge and getting gay kills is how smash is played, not by hitting them till their percents are high and hitting them with a smash attack.
Thats KINDA character specific though. I mean..not every character can camp at the edge and gimp you. I play gimpy though, so your right i know what you mean.

Aesir

Smash Master
Shield stabbing is true but its too moment specific (sorry, cant find the right word) to be compared to something thats a general base of the game.
How? its a variant of the high low mix up you speak of. mind you its not the exact same thing but the similarities are there if you shield for to long you're going to get stabbed.

jabs/different moves all have different speed/priority/range for every character in every fighting game. We really cant say anything about that because it applies to every game. Ill try to explain the dif. levels of attacks though. Ok so..we have 3 buttons for a punch/kick. Lets say you a down, down-back, back and a weak kick. (tatsu) If you do it with a weaker kick it might send the opponent upwards and you can combo before they fall. If you do it with a medium force kick it, you would put more frames of lag on the move but it would do more damage and send them in a dif. direction. If you do it with a fierce kick the move would have WAY more frames of lag but deal way more damage to your opponent. It would also send them farther, but the added frames of lag wouldnt allow you to combo off of it.
I'm failing to see the difference between this and jabs/tilts in smash.

Thats KINDA character specific though. I mean..not every character can camp at the edge and gimp you. I play gimpy though, so your right i know what you mean.
I don't think its character specific at all, every character can gimp the ledges however some do it better then others. You even mentioned single character that does it well.

edit: My browser is better then mcfox's

BigRick

Smash Master
Not entirely a lot of characters fight amazing well on the edge marth and sheik come to mind the most.
Haha, that's why I said think rope-a-dope...

Ali was the only one that could do it... who else? Rocky Balboa? lol

EDIT: If the top 4 worse chars in the can do some gimping... then you can say that it's a viable strategy for the whole game

xEnvYx

Smash Cadet
I think we can all agree that super puzzle fighter 2 is WAY more in depth then smash. Also i fail to see how a character like fox can gimp someone like..falcon.

wordman

Smash Apprentice
Fox Mc Cloud BUMBAIYE!!! FOX MC CLOUD BUMBAIYE!!!

*George Foreman waits in ring for Fox.*

Aesir

Smash Master
^ Envy: >___> very easily LOL if brookman posts again he'll give you reasons why.

Bigrick: I believe they can I dunno I never used them but I imagine they could do some gimping off the edge.

and I see your point lol.

xEnvYx

Smash Cadet
I think we can all agree that super puzzle fighter 2 is WAY more in depth then smash. Also i fail to see how a character like fox can gimp someone like..falcon.
look at this post guys...can you seriously not sense the extrememly high levels of sarcasm in this post. I mean...ddaayyyuummnn...

Brookman

Smash Hero
EDIT: If the top 4 worse chars in the can do some gimping... then you can say that it's a viable strategy for the whole game

They can't, for the most part, which is why they are the worst.

wordman

Smash Apprentice
Ken/Donovan gives you cancer on that game.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
Smash has some balance issues. They better make Bowser Top Tier in that game. . .or make it balanced.

What were they thinking when they gave Fox a shine. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom