• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash/For Glory hell question

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Odds are if you've dealt with this issue, you need no explanation, but for those who don't know, For Glory hell is when you're soft-banned and placed in a sort of jail where you are likely to keep playing the same players and have troubles connecting to players. A lot of waiting, basically.

For those of you who have gone in and out, how long were you there for?

For those in, how long have you been in for?

And for those who were in, then got out, only to end up back in, how long were you out for?

Basically I'm asking because I'm paranoid. I just got soft-banned yesterday, and yes it was confirmed by a two Nintendo reps. It's not a glitch or an internet issue.
And I'm paranoid because I've read that it has nothing to do with any actual offenses, but rather if you get reported enough, you get sent to jail.
So in other words, if you play someone who doesn't like you, they can report you and it counts.
And some people on here have stated that after they got out of jail, they would play squeaky clean. No taunts. No name-tag changes. No reason to provoke a report.
But they'd still make their way back.

This makes me think that once you've gone in, you're more likely to return after leaving.

Anyone have positive stories?
Like, I went in during May and have never gone back again?

Last edited:

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
There is already lots of information in all the other threads albeit pretty scattered.

I went in banland after about 2000 games (win a win-rate of about 65% - 70%). I was in banland for 1 week and then came out for 1 week and then went back in for another week.

This was a few weeks ago now, and I havent been back since. I have now played about 3000 or so games with a similar winrate.

If I had to guess I would say that X reports put you in banland first, and Y reports put you in for a second time with Y < X. I also suspect that reports are time limited, so after a while some expire which would explain why I have managed to stay out for a longer period of time now.

I very rarely taunt (only when i think it can be taken in a nice way e.g. to respond to someone else taunting at the start of a match), and sometimes change my name tag but only to "gg wp" or "gg ul" or "lag :(" or something like this, never anything offensive. My name is "Rob" and my Mii is non-offensive. I am absolutely convinced that anyone can report anyone for anything and that you will be put in banland for these reports. I suspect being annoying to play against is the most reported trait you can have (and I play as a projectile heavy Link player so you can imagine lots of people find me annoying to play against).

Magik

Smash Rookie
still banned, it's been 12 days now. this is my 2nd time in banland. first time it lasted around 2 weeks.

no1 ever told me what i did wrong
no1 ever told me how long it will be
no1 ever told me i was banned in the first place

how can a company as good as Nintendo, put this into their game?

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
still banned, it's been 12 days now. this is my 2nd time in banland. first time it lasted around 2 weeks.

no1 ever told me what i did wrong
no1 ever told me how long it will be
no1 ever told me i was banned in the first place

how can a company as good as Nintendo, put this into their game?
Call nintendo and tell them just that.

Don't even call them for a solution. If enough people call, they'll realize this is a real problem that needs to be patched.
1 (800) 255-3700

D

Deleted member

Odds are if you've dealt with this issue, you need no explanation, but for those who don't know, For Glory hell is when you're soft-banned and placed in a sort of jail where you are likely to keep playing the same players and have troubles connecting to players. A lot of waiting, basically.

For those of you who have gone in and out, how long were you there for?

For those in, how long have you been in for?

And for those who were in, then got out, only to end up back in, how long were you out for?

Basically I'm asking because I'm paranoid. I just got soft-banned yesterday, and yes it was confirmed by a two Nintendo reps. It's not a glitch or an internet issue.
And I'm paranoid because I've read that it has nothing to do with any actual offenses, but rather if you get reported enough, you get sent to jail.
So in other words, if you play someone who doesn't like you, they can report you and it counts.
And some people on here have stated that after they got out of jail, they would play squeaky clean. No taunts. No name-tag changes. No reason to provoke a report.
But they'd still make their way back.

This makes me think that once you've gone in, you're more likely to return after leaving.

Anyone have positive stories?
Like, I went in during May and have never gone back again?
I must be soft banned or something. i dunno when it started...

One day, I fought this guy and he left after one game. Then, he comes back seconds later and we fight another one. My Internet isn't bad by any means, but I found this to be odd...

Then I find out about this and it makes sense. Recently, I have fought some players who were legitimate jerks or were really, really good (I encounter more better players more than terrible ones, I suspected the matchmaking got better but I don't see players from the other spectrum as much). I think I beat some guy single-handedly, and I doubt that I was taunting during the match (I wouldn't do that to be disrespectful). He probably got frustrated and reported me.

EDIT: I don't mind fighting better players. However, I hear a lot of stories about bad For Glory players and I rarely run into them.

This is honestly a pretty poor system in place and the fact that Nintendo doesn't know when the time limit ends is pretty stupid. If someone is reported, check the match to see why they were reported. If nothing is wrong and the player won with their skills at the game, don't ban them like this. I can understand banning someone who is skillful, but has a massive ego or something (like taunting too much or was ducking a lot).

Last edited by a moderator:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
@XenoBrawler610
Call Nintendo
1 (800) 255-3700

On the phone with Nintendo. Gave him a 7 minute speech about my experience as well as reading a bunch of posts from other people on Gamefaqs and Smashboards. In other words, I gave him a collective rant. Guy's like speechless and then types some "notes", but sounds like he's typing an essay.

He connected me with a supervisor and I basically give him the same earful.
The supervisor tells me that he will forward my concerns to a research team to look into it. I don't know if that was his way of saying "there is nothing I can do, so hang up, but I kept being insistent that other players are speculating that there is a problem with the system. Of course, the supervisor sounded skeptical and I agree. Many of us could be lying and very well be breaking rules. But hopefully I provided a compelling case which put enough doubt in his mind so that they take this seriously.

So I'm telling y'all.
Call Nintendo. Be stubborn. Type what you're going to say. Add in every little detail, concern and complaint and let it rain down on them. Quote as many of us as you can. It sounds silly, yes, to say "wumbocombo99 said this", but it adds legitimacy that these are real people having a real problem.

Odds are, the guy you speak to will be so confused, he'll connect you to a supervisor. Do the same with them and hopefully with enough people, the research team will just be flooded with these complaints.

So do it.
Call Nintendo.

1 (800) 255-3700

It's so important that you do or else we might be plagued with this faulty report system.

Charu

Smash Cadet
I think I just got sent there, lmao. My first time too and I mainly do 2v2's.

I guess even 2v2's will eventually lead to this. Now I lost the one mode I only cared for. What a shame

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I think I just got sent there, lmao. My first time too and I mainly do 2v2's.

I guess even 2v2's will eventually lead to this. Now I lost the one mode I only cared for. What a shame
Call Nintendo.
1 (800) 255-3700
Drop a train on them.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Update on this matter, I checked again today and I was no longer banned. Every room I enter has someone in it and if there isn't, I connect to someone in as quickly as 3 seconds. Everyone who I played against today was a new face and there were no repeats upon leaving a room and coming back in.

My ban lasted 8 days, so this would seem to suggest that beng reported while being banned will prolong your sentence. It's very possible that different offenses warrant harsher penalties, although considering that Nintendo does not tell you what you did wrong, I'm inclined to believe it's the former.

So if you're playing while banned, I would suggest you stop.

Second, I am now making the conscious decision to not step on anyone's toes. No trash talk, no t-bagging, not even taunting.
I feel that I am taking more than enough precautions to not break any rules, even though taunting is allowed by the game.
Basically, if I end up banned again, it will pretty much prove to myself that it is based on reports that no one reviews.
I hope that day never comes.

And hopefully today's maintenence addresses the general vague issue of being banned.
Like I've said in the past, I've nothing against being banned for stupid reasons like changing your tag to "ya stink". I personally think childish trash talk shouldn't be a problem, but if Nintendo doesn't want it, fine.

But I do have a problem with not being told why I was banned or for how long.

Charu

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately for me, I'm still in it. Just decided to check if the maintenance thing might've fixed the problem, but alas that is not the case.

I'm still there and probably will be there for the allotted time for first offenders, for about a week or a little bit more but not two weeks. Nothing I can do about it really. To think all I really do is 2v2's and now I'm all locked up in a place where everyone only does 1v1's and majority share the mental capacity of any random online person that love to be as rude as possible.

My online experienced is crippled. It's rather silly such a system is in place to begin with. I really want to assume that this is just some server glitch, but I highly doubt it with the amount of users I've come across that have ran into this phenomenon. All I can do now for my "enjoyment" is watch the replay channel of 2v2's and that can only hold my attention for so long. Think like one match really, heh.

As for you, Mr. pollo, I can't guarantee you won't get hit again. Be warned, that because you've been hit with it, you're highly susceptible of getting in again rather easily. It is indeed, as you presumed, a report-based system.

No hard evidence of course, but from my limited understanding that seems to be the case here.

As to what we all can do to alert this silly system? Well... I say we should report everyone we see. So I say to all of those who've been fortunate to somehow miss being sent here, just start spamming report to everyone you see.

Eventually Nintendo will see it really is a problem because I'm sure as heck that function gets abused a ton on a daily basis online. Salty players or perhaps people who know of the flaw. Well, if we get half the polulation in Smash to end up in bannedland, I would think Nintendo would have to do SOMETHING, no?

fehector

Smash Cadet
Second, I am now making the conscious decision to not step on anyone's toes. No trash talk, no t-bagging, not even taunting.
I feel that I am taking more than enough precautions to not break any rules, even though taunting is allowed by the game.
Basically, if I end up banned again, it will pretty much prove to myself that it is based on reports that no one reviews.
I hope that day never comes.
That cant be it, dont act as if u are someone else,because they are blackmailing you, for taunting at them. It is actually proven, that it works this way. I was banned after 24 hours again, there is no way some human investigators could process over 100 k incoming reports to check on their honesty everyday and even with a latency of some hours between the last report was send and the ban.

U can actually watch geting banned live, if u need a last single report that triggers ur suspension, then u will see it happen shortly after someone left from the menu screen. i saw it 2 times...and beleave me i have experience with smash4 bans lol.

u are normaly banned a week, but now comes the funny part that makes the system look even more stupid, and was found by rpjugek. If u are reported in hell the penalty time increase probably without any limit as long as u continoue getting reports. Thats a joke. So jerks (the peole who should be there) have the freedom do report jerks. this doent follow any natural logic. This is wierd. Dont they expect that jerks could do this on purpose, and there is anyway no point there should be the ability to report in the first place.
As to what we all can do to alert this silly system? Well... I say we should report everyone we see. So I say to all of those who've been fortunate to somehow miss being sent here, just start spamming report to everyone you see
U are a genius.

it isnt a glitch. every 20th gamer in fg has so much skill as an average hell player.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
As to what we all can do to alert this silly system? Well... I say we should report everyone we see. So I say to all of those who've been fortunate to somehow miss being sent here, just start spamming report to everyone you see.

Eventually Nintendo will see it really is a problem because I'm sure as heck that function gets abused a ton on a daily basis online. Salty players or perhaps people who know of the flaw. Well, if we get half the polulation in Smash to end up in bannedland, I would think Nintendo would have to do SOMETHING, no?
I disagree.
What we should be doing is calling Nintendo, even multiple times.
For two reasons.
1st, the whole awareness thing. Duh.
But 2nd, no one is 100% how the report system is working. Because while it would seem obvious that reporting is based on an honor system, with no one actually reviewing reports, there is a five Report limit (or so I think I've heard) and some people have claimed that they got banned for reporting for no reason.
That and Nintendo explicitly states not to report for no reason.
To raise awareness by going against one of Nintendo's rules seems like a bad idea considering that we're less than 100% sure that the report system is automated.

And finally, reporting everyone won't make Ban Land the same as the normal server.
People have been noticing that when they are banned, they can only find Japanese people and when I was banned, I made a video showing off what it was like. Someone responded by saying that it didn't look as bad as theirs because they couldn't find opponents for hours. For me, it would take 30 seconds and they would often be the same four people. Unbanned, it takes 3 seconds at most if there isn't already someone in the room, so I know for a fact something was wrong.

But my point is, it seems like their isn't a ban land, but banned cells; different pocket servers based on who knows what. Geographical location?

So don't report everyone you meet. Doing so may not accomplish anything but prolonged penalties.

That cant be it, dont act as if u are someone else,because they are blackmailing you, for taunting at them. It is actually proven, that it works this way. I was banned after 24 hours again, there is no way some human investigators could process over 100 k incoming reports to check on their honesty everyday and even with a latency of some hours between the last report was send and the ban.

U can actually watch geting banned live, if u need a last single report that triggers ur suspension, then u will see it happen shortly after someone left from the menu screen. i saw it 2 times...and beleave me i have experience with smash4 bans lol.

u are normaly banned a week, but now comes the funny part that makes the system look even more stupid, and was found by rpjugek. If u are reported in hell the penalty time increase probably without any limit as long as u continoue getting reports. Thats a joke. So jerks (the peole who should be there) have the freedom do report jerks. this doent follow any natural logic. This is wierd. Dont they expect that jerks could do this on purpose, and there is anyway no point there should be the ability to report in the first place.

U are a genius.

it isnt a glitch. every 20th gamer in fg has so much skill as an average hell player.
I have to. Because when I call Nintendo, I have to tell them my experiences. I did tell them of people who got rebanned within 24 hours and would quote their posts on SmashBoards and GameFAQS, but (understandably), they took it with a grain of salt.
The guy explained it as "stuff on the Internet tends to creative a collective narrative".
And while I agreed with him saying that anyone can post anything on the internet, it still seems odd that there was a surge and that I myself was experiencing the issue.

This is why I keep urging people to call.
A couple of people can't do it. EVERYONE having this problem needs to call CONSTANTLY. Not everyday, but every week.
For example, at the end of the week, if you're still banned call and basically say "I've seen on the Internet people say the ban lasts a week. What's up?"
They can't blame you for wanting to know if you'll ever get unbanned.

So call people.
Everything y'all typed here, tell it to them.
Don't look for a solution. Look to inflict doubt in their minds. Because once they think it's possible that this is a legitimate problem, they'll look into it.
Because while the bans may be intentional, the way they are implementing them are beyond unprofessional. We need to know why and for how long we'll be banned.

fehector

Smash Cadet
i cant speak english good enough and i dont beleave that complains by Nintendo of germany matter that much. Still i am curious why arent there any petitions because of this issue. i was searching the last weeks.

Anyway i love this forums here and i had a good time. In german forums they often dont understand irony, have no sense of humor, are to arrogant and act like jerks when u tell them about the stuff happening with your online game.

Charu

Smash Cadet
Yo, for those that have checked this thread and are currently in this smash hell place.

Go do 2v2's plz.

Edit: I actually have been waiting since I posted that and I came across two people that joined, but then left.

One was named Moogle and the other... I forget, he didn't stay very long. Moogle is back though so... maybe a 2v2 session!? Who knows!

Edit 2: After an hour, I decided to give up. I feel like making a video about this now.

Edit 3: Alright, here's a twitch thing I just did randomly because screw actual production value. I show more in the actual stream, but I think this highlight sums it nicely what this is for people who are still curious. Apologies for low voice and loud game, lmao.

http://www.twitch.tv/charuv2/v/13998553

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
i cant speak english good enough and i dont beleave that complains by Nintendo of germany matter that much. Still i am curious why arent there any petitions because of this issue. i was searching the last weeks.

Anyway i love this forums here and i had a good time. In german forums they often dont understand irony, have no sense of humor, are to arrogant and act like jerks when u tell them about the stuff happening with your online game.
It's still worth calling your countries Nintendo representative.

Rather than petitions, if everyone who would sign one would instead call Nintendo, they'd get the point quicker.

Charu

Smash Cadet
So I discovered another feature in this Hell (that I'm still in).

Because today, I had the craving to do Smash, even it met playing extremely silly FFA's in Custom Tournaments because I saw I could actually join them. So I noticed a streamer on twitch and was all "alright, I know this has to be active, so lets just do it".

Welp... you can join them alright.

...You wanna know what happens when you try to battle though?

The same exact thing when you go the 2v2 lobbies or FG FFA. It's a ghost town. The players who are active, I can't connect with them as it puts me in my own room as it usually does and no one joins in when I KNOW that it's active.

So... what I'm saying is... custom tournaments as horrible as they are, you can't actually participate in them if you're in Smash Hell.

This is so stupid, I swear when I'm out, I'm just gonna hang out in Tournament Mode land because I've read in some other thread that apparently you can't report in them.

xenocryst

Smash Rookie
I just got off the phone with Nintendo to complain about the second time I've been in Banland. This time I was able to get some new information. Apparently being a good sport isn't enough to protect you from reports. If you use your tag to communicate (even to something like "GG"), you put yourself at risk of a "legitimate" report. If you SD to quit a laggy connection (even so bad as to double the game time), you still put yourself at the same risk.

It sounds like a subsidiary company within Nintendo reviews all the reports -- at least at a very high level. I presume if you use SD to quit a game that they don't also look at the connection. Similarly, for tag changes, I presume they don't check what your tag changed to.

TL;DR...

Don't want to go to Banland? Don't change your tag while playing some one. Always play laggy games no matter how impossible.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I just got off the phone with Nintendo to complain about the second time I've been in Banland. This time I was able to get some new information. Apparently being a good sport isn't enough to protect you from reports. If you use your tag to communicate (even to something like "GG"), you put yourself at risk of a "legitimate" report. If you SD to quit a laggy connection (even so bad as to double the game time), you still put yourself at the same risk.

It sounds like a subsidiary company within Nintendo reviews all the reports -- at least at a very high level. I presume if you use SD to quit a game that they don't also look at the connection. Similarly, for tag changes, I presume they don't check what your tag changed to.

TL;DR...

Don't want to go to Banland? Don't change your tag while playing some one. Always play laggy games no matter how impossible.
That doesn't make any sense from my point of view.
The second time I was banned, I was playing as Ness vs King DDD.
I was a much better player than the DDD that I 0 to death'd him without needing to use PK Fire or grabs. It was literally just the A button.
Guy rage quits his second stock, spends forever on the Viewing Results screen, automatically drops the match from there, and then suddenly everyone disappeared for a week. 7 days after that night, matchmaking is back to normal.
Unless this was the mother of all coincidences, he was reporting me (taking forever on the results screen) amd blocking me (bypassed the Choose your Fighter screen).

And I even friend requested him, asking him "Did you report me?". He never responded.

Also, I've reported 3 innocent players to test my theory of "non-reviewed reports". It's been more than 2 months and I have yet to be punished.
Nintendo has explicitly stated that fraudulent reporting will be punished with bans. Nintendo is making false threats.

I think it's clear that no one is reviewing reports.

Last edited:

xenocryst

Smash Rookie
I'm just reporting what I was told. I plan on testing the theory. Once I'm out of Banland, I'll never change my tag or intentionally die. Then at least I'll have more evidence that the system is being abused when I call Nintendo again.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I'm just reporting what I was told. I plan on testing the theory. Once I'm out of Banland, I'll never change my tag or intentionally die. Then at least I'll have more evidence that the system is being abused when I call Nintendo again.
I understand. I'm just giving my exp. to add to the discussion.
I called Nintendo 3 times when I was banned. 1st person sounded confused-ish, but accurately guessed I was banned. 2nd person from the get go said I was banned. 3rd person denied such a ban, claiming the only way to know if you're banned is to not be able to join matches and see a timer (like when you drop a match and can't join for 10 minutes). He said the reason I wasn't being connected to anyone was "time of day when no one is playing". Right...
And you can find other people posting similar experiences of Nintendo denying such a ban.

Point being, I'd take what Nintendo says with a grain of salt. Inconsistent answers just goes to show that whatever Sakurai's team did to the reporting system in the June update, NoA wasn't properly informed.
And what they told you further clashes with what happened to me leading me to believe they made up an answer.

But I understand what you're intentions are. If you get banned again, you can call Nintendo and tell them that you did what they told you to do and still got banned.
But I wouldn't hold my breath.
That was my plan. Don't break any rules or provoke the other player and then call Nintendo when I get banned again. That's what I did and it made no difference.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I got sent to hell for the fifth time yesterday. Took me six months first time, two week second time, one week third time, five days fourth time and three days fifth time. First time was one week ban, second time was two weeks ban, third time the Roy/Lucas/Ryu patch freed me early and strangely, fourth time I got out early too, after only about three days.

But I'm back in hell again. Sad thing is, what I'm doing isn't really that broken. Whenever I play against someone who is good at hiding their endlag, I'm at a clear disadvantage no matter how I play because of the character I use.

Anyways, it was kind of strange for me to get out so early after the fourth time, especially since I still saw some of the same people when I got banned a fifth time. There was no patch to release me, but I got to play in general population for a few days while other toiled with their buns to the flames. I'm kind of sick of this game now though. If it weren't for reported hell, I might no play other games, which is kind of unhealthy if you ask me.

*come to think of it, this is actually my sixth time. I did take extended breaks in between a lot of this, so the 'days to get banned' aren't necessarily sequential.

Last edited:

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
Is there an official source that confirms this is actually a thing, and not just confirmation bias? Personally, I've played almost 7000 For Glory matches, have changed my tag liberally to things such as REKT and GOODGAMES, have frequent use of taunts (most often Zelda's wave, and Shulks'), and my playstyle with Toon Link was annoying enough to have a stream viewer of mine leave for several months. I also SD if the match is too laggy, and report players who change their tags to hateful things (racial slurs, etc).
By all the accounts given thus far, all of these would be cause for me being "soft-banned", yet I have experienced nothing of the sort? Of course, there have been a few times where I've run into the same player, as well as several times where no one joined for an extended period of time (which is fixed by simply backing out of the lobby and re-entering), but such occurrences are to be expected after thousands of matches...

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Is there an official source that confirms this is actually a thing, and not just confirmation bias? Personally, I've played almost 7000 For Glory matches, have changed my tag liberally to things such as REKT and GOODGAMES, have frequent use of taunts (most often Zelda's wave, and Shulks'), and my playstyle with Toon Link was annoying enough to have a stream viewer of mine leave for several months. I also SD if the match is too laggy, and report players who change their tags to hateful things (racial slurs, etc).
By all the accounts given thus far, all of these would be cause for me being "soft-banned", yet I have experienced nothing of the sort? Of course, there have been a few times where I've run into the same player, as well as several times where no one joined for an extended period of time (which is fixed by simply backing out of the lobby and re-entering), but such occurrences are to be expected after thousands of matches...
According to 2 out of 3 Nintendo reps that I spoke to, this is a legitimate thing. If you get reported enough times, you will get soft banned for "a couple days".

As for why some people's bans last longer, I have no idea.
If you read everyone's posts on the subject over the multiple threads on the topic, you'll see that even Nintendo doesn't really seem to know exactly what it is.
The first person I spoke to seemed hesistant to call it a soft ban, but ultimately confirmed that I have been banned due to being reported.
The second woman I spoke to said I was banned from the get-go and sounded completely confident that what I was experiencing was due to being banned. The moment I said "I keep playing the same seven people over and over" she said "you have been placed in a separated lobby and are banned. You can only play other people who are also banned. This ban will last a couple days. We can not lift it nor can we tell you why you were banned".

A couple days later, I called again and a man said "no, if you're banned, you wouldn't be able to play any matches at all and a timer would let you know how long the ban will be".

So no, it isn't confirmation bias. People at Nintendo have said that this is a legitimate thing and a part of the game. Get reported too much, go to FG Hell.

Also, it doesn't matter if you change your tags or SD. What matters is if you get reported.
Myself, and many others, have been banned twice, despite making the conscious effort to not break any rules.
Like I said in a previous post. I played a guy who rage quit. No change of tags. No SDs. Guy spends forever on the Viewing Results screen, drops out, and everyone disappeared for a week.
Being reported is all it takes. No one reviews reports.

Last edited:

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Here's a little guide I found on Gamefaqs about For Glory Hell, credit goes to Theguysayhi for this. Original topic is here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72844752

Q: What is For Glory Hell exactly?
A: For those of you that don't know, ForGlory Hell is a term used to describe when a player has been banned.
After any match in For Fun OR For Glory, players may decide to report other players. If a certain player receives more than one report, they may be sent to the underworld known as ForGlory Hell.

Q: What happens if I'm sent to For Glory Hell?
A: They will be unable to play with anyone except other reported players in any mode online. This includes all online play such as all FG modes, all FF modes, and some Tourneys modes. Basically everything except "With Friends".

Q: How long does the ban last?
A: Unfortunately, no one can say for certain, some players have said that they have been in FG Hell for as long as a Week, while some have had a longer sentence to 3-5 weeks. It's a safe assumption that the ban will last round 1-2 week, maybe more if you've been reported by more than one person.

Q: How do I know if I am in ForGlory Hell?
A: There is no way to tell if you are in FG hell or not as there is no notification. But it is possible to distinguish FG Hell to Normal FG by looking for the following things:
- Waiting in lobby rooms for 30-45 minutes before finding a fight (or restarting 5-8 times)
- Playing the same person over and over again even after exiting the lobby and coming back
- You'll play the same person very often since there is no one else to fight
- Unable to find matches in a online tourney despite the fact that it is ongoing.
- Unable to play Team or Free for all as no one is "available"

Q: I don't want to experience ForGlory Hell, is there anything I can do to avoid getting reported?
A: Unfortunately... No, there isn't really any thing that can be done. Reports are not moderated by an actual person so Nintendo automatically assumes every report is honest. Sadly, people often report for the wrong reasons.
Here are are couple of reasons why someone on ForGlory may report you:
- Having incredibly Bad internet
- Abuse of the 'chat' system
- Excessive unnecessary taunting
- Nautical overly excessive spam nonsense
People also tend to report as 'revenge' if they are really salty. In this case, you can also be reported for these reasons as well:
- Being a tournament-level player
- Taunting in general for any reason
- Beating someone if they're spamming
- Using the chat for means such as "GG" or "Last Game"
- Winning (But not limited to) with the following characters Link, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Little Mac or Shiek in a really excellent/horrible way
- Winning constantly with a character that is not commonly used on ForGlory.
- Landing Successful Reads
- Doing anything that may be perceived as disrespectful in the eyes of a salty player. IE, Gannoncides, Landing Kills with Meta Knight or Ryu's Up B, doing any combos with Luigi or Little Mac, and Gimping Captain Falcon with Mega Man's Leaf Shield.

Q: Okay, I'm in For Glory Hell, what sort of things can I expect other than the above things?
A: in addition to the huge wait time, expect to play people on line that either have bad internet, use Captain Falcon or Link, over use the same tactics, taunt lots, or a combination of them all.

Q: I'm in For Glory Hell, is there anything I can do to get out?
A: You can try to contact Nintendo to address the issue, but there is really nothing they can do to help you. However, simply contacting them will help raise awareness and eventually maybe fix the issue completely in the future.

Q: I'm in For Glory Hell and I don't know how I got there, I don't taunt or abuse the chat. I don't spam and I'm a pretty good player
A: Fortunately, there are benefits to being in For Glory Hell, as horrible as it may seem. Even though the wait times are large and you may encounter bad reported players... It is very possible, if not likely, that you will encounter very good and respectful players. In my experience, these people are pretty high level players, and if you've been reported for a unjustifiable reason by a salty player, there is a pretty good chance that you're a pretty good player as well. You will find that people like these will stay around for just about as long as you'd want, use the 'chat' system respectfully, have great internet and will switch characters if you do so. IE, if you pick your main they will also pick their main, and if you pick a character you want to get better at, they will do the same..
In spite of this, Being in ForGlory Hell can actually help you find much better players than your average For Glory. But because of the huge wait times and the almost inability to play anything online other than "For Glory 1 on 1" it's up to you to decide if it's a entirely good thing or not.

Q: I'm finally out of ForGlory Hell! What can I do to stop this from happening again?
A: The sad thing is... You really can't. Literally anyone can report anything so no one is safe. The only thing you can really do is make sure you aren't at fault yourself. Report responsibly. Never report if your feeling salty or beaten. That person who said "GG" on the chat may have really meant it and thought you were a good player, no matter who won. Only report as a last resort. Personally, I would only resort to reporting if someone swore over the chat, or said unnecessary undermining comments. I hope you will do the same. If everyone has this mindset, then the Smash Online Community will be a better place. Alternatively, you can't be reported in Tourney Mode, so that's also another option if your desperate.

Q: How and where can I report someone?
A: You can report players in any online mode except With Friends and Tourney Mode, which means you can/are susceptible to report players in ForGlory 1v1, free for all, and teams, and ForFun free for all and teams.

Q: For Glory Hell doesn't exist. You are delusional TC!
A: You have probably never experienced For Glory Hell before. It exists alright. Cross your fingers that you never go there. There are already topics on reddit and Smash Boards about it, and now, GameFaqs is no exception. Remember to Report wisely and treat others how you would treat yourself.

Last edited:

xenocryst

Smash Rookie
Here's a little guide I found on Gamefaqs about For Glory Hell, credit goes to Theguysayhi for this. Original topic is here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72844752

Q: What is For Glory Hell exactly?
A: For those of you that don't know, ForGlory Hell is a term used to describe when a player has been banned.
After any match in For Fun OR For Glory, players may decide to report other players. If a certain player receives more than one report, they may be sent to the underworld known as ForGlory Hell.

Q: What happens if I'm sent to For Glory Hell?
A: They will be unable to play with anyone except other reported players in any mode online. This includes all online play such as all FG modes, all FF modes, and some Tourneys modes. Basically everything except "With Friends".

Q: How long does the ban last?
A: Unfortunately, no one can say for certain, some players have said that they have been in FG Hell for as long as a Week, while some have had a longer sentence to 3-5 weeks. It's a safe assumption that the ban will last round 1-2 week, maybe more if you've been reported by more than one person.

Q: How do I know if I am in ForGlory Hell?
A: There is no way to tell if you are in FG hell or not as there is no notification. But it is possible to distinguish FG Hell to Normal FG by looking for the following things:
- Waiting in lobby rooms for 30-45 minutes before finding a fight (or restarting 5-8 times)
- Playing the same person over and over again even after exiting the lobby and coming back
- You'll play the same person very often since there is no one else to fight
- Unable to find matches in a online tourney despite the fact that it is ongoing.
- Unable to play Team or Free for all as no one is "available"

Q: I don't want to experience ForGlory Hell, is there anything I can do to avoid getting reported?
A: Unfortunately... No, there isn't really any thing that can be done. Reports are not moderated by an actual person so Nintendo automatically assumes every report is honest. Sadly, people often report for the wrong reasons.
Here are are couple of reasons why someone on ForGlory may report you:
- Having incredibly Bad internet
- Abuse of the 'chat' system
- Excessive unnecessary taunting
- Nautical overly excessive spam nonsense
People also tend to report as 'revenge' if they are really salty. In this case, you can also be reported for these reasons as well:
- Being a tournament-level player
- Taunting in general for any reason
- Beating someone if they're spamming
- Using the chat for means such as "GG" or "Last Game"
- Winning (But not limited to) with the following characters Link, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Little Mac or Shiek in a really excellent/horrible way
- Winning constantly with a character that is not commonly used on ForGlory.
- Landing Successful Reads
- Doing anything that may be perceived as disrespectful in the eyes of a salty player. IE, Gannoncides, Landing Kills with Meta Knight or Ryu's Up B, doing any combos with Luigi or Little Mac, and Gimping Captain Falcon with Mega Man's Leaf Shield.

Q: Okay, I'm in For Glory Hell, what sort of things can I expect other than the above things?
A: in addition to the huge wait time, expect to play people on line that either have bad internet, use Captain Falcon or Link, over use the same tactics, taunt lots, or a combination of them all.

Q: I'm in For Glory Hell, is there anything I can do to get out?
A: You can try to contact Nintendo to address the issue, but there is really nothing they can do to help you. However, simply contacting them will help raise awareness and eventually maybe fix the issue completely in the future.

Q: I'm in For Glory Hell and I don't know how I got there, I don't taunt or abuse the chat. I don't spam and I'm a pretty good player
A: Fortunately, there are benefits to being in For Glory Hell, as horrible as it may seem. Even though the wait times are large and you may encounter bad reported players... It is very possible, if not likely, that you will encounter very good and respectful players. In my experience, these people are pretty high level players, and if you've been reported for a unjustifiable reason by a salty player, there is a pretty good chance that you're a pretty good player as well. You will find that people like these will stay around for just about as long as you'd want, use the 'chat' system respectfully, have great internet and will switch characters if you do so. IE, if you pick your main they will also pick their main, and if you pick a character you want to get better at, they will do the same..
In spite of this, Being in ForGlory Hell can actually help you find much better players than your average For Glory. But because of the huge wait times and the almost inability to play anything online other than "For Glory 1 on 1" it's up to you to decide if it's a entirely good thing or not.

Q: I'm finally out of ForGlory Hell! What can I do to stop this from happening again?
A: The sad thing is... You really can't. Literally anyone can report anything so no one is safe. The only thing you can really do is make sure you aren't at fault yourself. Report responsibly. Never report if your feeling salty or beaten. That person who said "GG" on the chat may have really meant it and thought you were a good player, no matter who won. Only report as a last resort. Personally, I would only resort to reporting if someone swore over the chat, or said unnecessary undermining comments. I hope you will do the same. If everyone has this mindset, then the Smash Online Community will be a better place. Alternatively, you can't be reported in Tourney Mode, so that's also another option if your desperate.

Q: How and where can I report someone?
A: You can report players in any online mode except With Friends and Tourney Mode, which means you can/are susceptible to report players in ForGlory 1v1, free for all, and teams, and ForFun free for all and teams.

Q: For Glory Hell doesn't exist. You are delusional TC!
A: You have probably never experienced For Glory Hell before. It exists alright. Cross your fingers that you never go there. There are already topics on reddit and Smash Boards about it, and now, GameFaqs is no exception. Remember to Report wisely and treat others how you would treat yourself.
This is all very accurate to my experience. Excellent write-up. Bookmarking to show Nintendo the next time I call in to complain.

Treyz

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately for me, I'm still in it. Just decided to check if the maintenance thing might've fixed the problem, but alas that is not the case.

I'm still there and probably will be there for the allotted time for first offenders, for about a week or a little bit more but not two weeks. Nothing I can do about it really. To think all I really do is 2v2's and now I'm all locked up in a place where everyone only does 1v1's and majority share the mental capacity of any random online person that love to be as rude as possible.

My online experienced is crippled. It's rather silly such a system is in place to begin with. I really want to assume that this is just some server glitch, but I highly doubt it with the amount of users I've come across that have ran into this phenomenon. All I can do now for my "enjoyment" is watch the replay channel of 2v2's and that can only hold my attention for so long. Think like one match really, heh.

As for you, Mr. pollo, I can't guarantee you won't get hit again. Be warned, that because you've been hit with it, you're highly susceptible of getting in again rather easily. It is indeed, as you presumed, a report-based system.

No hard evidence of course, but from my limited understanding that seems to be the case here.

Treyz

Smash Rookie
After being subjected to smash jail I've done a lot of research on the topic even calling nintendo to where they just told me that there's nothing they can do and they don't know how long I'll be here but that it's temporary.

I am currently in smash jail and have been here for like 6 or 7 days now which hurts me because I like to practice against people I paid to play smash and now I can't it's pretty ridiculous.

So I've tried the strategy of reporting everyone I see to hopefully get nintendo to get rid of this insane system but due to my research you apparently can be sent to smash jail if you make a report against someone and no one else has.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
i was in Banland early October for a week... I hope to never return but i can't be any more respectful and positive then i already always am so it really seems to be down to luck sadly. This has also been seriously holding me back from playing Rosalina as a secondary as many don't like to fight her and may report out of spite.. No win situation sigh...

Last edited:

EssenceIke

Smash Rookie
First of all sorry for the bad english (I'm from peru). I only play ssb4 for 3ds and i probably got into ''Smash Hell'' at least 6 times in about 4 months, the duration of my bans were about 1 week - almost 1 month. I only play with ike, i'm about 91.50 % winning rate (about 700 matches, it should be more matches. but i deleted the game data 4 times (because of ''Smash hell'', thinking the ban will expire by doing that (2 times), and because an awful loosing streak in ''Smash hell'' (2 times)), and if you are reading this... well if you try to be a good player, for glory (and specially for glory hell) is not the place for you, you will learn something but it's a bad system, because in my experience i can tell if you have a good perfomance in about 350-500 games you will go to hell in less than 2 days, and there's nothing you can do. If you taunt you get reported, if you don't and play really nice you get reported, if you read your opponent you get a report and the list continues (the comment number 27 of this thread will give you all the info you need to know)... also i don't think Nintendo is not aware of this, the rep's that recieve our calls maybe (because most of them don't know anything about the game and only read the rules of the game and that's it), but Nintendo knows, i mean, they created this b.s. system knowing that players will get unnecesary reports, and i think they created this system because they don't have better ideas (or really don't care) of creating a decent online community. I don't believe in the idea that Nintendo creates a broken online system without knowing of it, it's stupid. We are on the 1.1.2 update and some say in December will be recieving our las update. If they don't change this in December, they probably will not do it in the future.

Well this is my opinion based on my experience, maybe im wrong, but i'm again in smash hell playing only against a guy named thor (villager only), gabriel (link and daraen only), ian (toon link only), and more spammers that i don't remember and even winning against them some matches, because the spam is insane and i main ike only, it's not fun, it's really boring and sometimes frustrating.
Sometimes for glory (Normal) is super fun and challenging, but smash hell it's the opposite. You will encounter good players too in smash hell, but most of them are salty/ tea baggers/ taunters players, that if they see you are good and a treat for them (AND FOR THEIR STATS) they will try to destroy you to increise their sad ego (not all of them of course, but a good porcentage) and if you report them you will stay longer in hell because... i don't know, because NINTENDO. So don't waste you emocional or mental energy in this b.s. try another game and leave smash for a week and a half (because IF THEY REPORT YOU IN HELL you will stay more time in there).

Sorry for the bad english, this is my experience so far in for glory 1 vs 1, and 2 vs 2 or free for all is even worse... you can get a triple report if you win hahaha (like a boss), but no... it's really sad that this game (and i have to say it's one of my favorites because of my boy ike, THAT no one believed in him 6 months ago) it's going down because this broken system called Smash Hell.

Last edited:

xenocryst

Smash Rookie
E EssenceIke - I'm going to call you out on the spam comment. I'm tired of hearing it. Projectiles are part of the game as much as shielding; in fact, they've been a consistent feature of all the games while other features have come and gone. People who cry, "Spam! Spam!" are just making excuses for a weakness in their game. Deal with the projectiles. Learn rather than blame people that excel at a projectile-heavy character. And if you're talking more generally about heavy repetition of a move, then that says even more about your abilities as a well rounded player. A good player should be able to pick up on the repetition and punish it.

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Does For Glory Hell frequently return errors when initially trying to enter a room (such as "Failed to connect to the partner's device. Your Internet settings may need to be optimized for connecting to a partner.")? I'm having that issue, and once I do end up getting in a room with someone else, I have no issues with the connection. I have the same issues with entering tournaments mentioned here, and while on For Glory I keep seeing all the same people, so I think I *might* be in For Glory Hell, but I'm not sure.

xenocryst

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I get that error seemingly more often in FGH, but I've also seen it under normal conditions. The biggest indicators you're in FGH are much longer waits for matches and frequently matching the same obnoxiously rude and/or insanely good players.

xenocryst

Smash Rookie
Update! I've been playing the same as ever, including taunting whenever possible, and I haven't been back to Banland. The only change I've made is to NEVER update my tag, even to say "GG". So keep in mind, you may not be banned as often for changing to "GG" or "Ur good", but if people still unfairly report you, the system that checks up on reports doesn't care about the difference between those and "Git Gud", "u suk", etc.

Kjaerlighet

Smash Rookie
I got sent to hell a week ago, have no idea why. After a week of not playing, I figured I'd check again and no luck, still banned. Naturally, I'm a little frustrated because as someone who loves doubles, I'm left unable to play. So let's sum up exactly how this system works: You can report/ be reported for anything (including being to good at the game), no reason needs to be given. You aren't notified when you're banned, nor are you told how long your ban is for. You can't appeal a ban and to top it off Nintendo knows absolutely nothing about it. Seriously there's nothing on their website and calling up doesn't help either. This is totally unacceptable from Nintendo, people pay good money to play when you consider the cost of the Wii, the game and possible DLC. And yet, because they cant moderate their own game many of us simply cant play despite paying all this money. I don't care if you're a spammer, play campy, taunt, or are just too good at the game, no one deserves to be banned because of the way they play. I suppose can understand someone having an offensive Mii avatar or an offensive name (tho honestly, get over it) but thats not the case for most of us in hell.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I thought it might be useful to add some more info on my situation.

In the past I have speculated that X reports gets you into ban land and Y puts you in for a second time (where Y < X), or that reports are time limited so that after a week your reports per specific time period are low enough to come out but relatively few reports can get you back in.

Well since my time in ban land, I eventually tired a bit of the game and took a break of a few months and played other things. I returned to Smash a few months ago and have not seen ban land again so far in over 1000 matches.

On the basis that it seems others are still entering banland (and so it hasnt been patched out), I think its a safe assumption at this point to assume reports are time limited and that a specific number of reports (in a specified time frame) sends you to banland.

I would recommend to people who are in ban land to take a 1 week break from the game to best increase their chances of getting out. If you want to increase your chances of staying out then its best to either a) take a longer break or b) play less games per day.

Last edited:

Protocon

Smash Rookie
Update! I've been playing the same as ever, including taunting whenever possible, and I haven't been back to Banland. The only change I've made is to NEVER update my tag, even to say "GG". So keep in mind, you may not be banned as often for changing to "GG" or "Ur good", but if people still unfairly report you, the system that checks up on reports doesn't care about the difference between those and "Git Gud", "u suk", etc.
I have a question, when you are in the online menu, and you go to internet options, and see a toggleable option called 'share info'.

It reads; "Information on how you play will be sent to Nintendo". Now, is that how they check for players who have been reported? So, if I never change my nametag, will I need to turn it on so if I do get reported, they will see that I'm clean?

Basically- do we need to have that option turned on to decrease the chance of being sent to for glory hell? Because I currently don't have it turned on, as I think it lags me less. I'm thinking about making this into a separate topic to get more views and replies. thanks!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
There is already lots of information in all the other threads albeit pretty scattered.

I went in banland after about 2000 games (win a win-rate of about 65% - 70%). I was in banland for 1 week and then came out for 1 week and then went back in for another week.

This was a few weeks ago now, and I havent been back since. I have now played about 3000 or so games with a similar winrate.

If I had to guess I would say that X reports put you in banland first, and Y reports put you in for a second time with Y < X. I also suspect that reports are time limited, so after a while some expire which would explain why I have managed to stay out for a longer period of time now.

I very rarely taunt (only when i think it can be taken in a nice way e.g. to respond to someone else taunting at the start of a match), and sometimes change my name tag but only to "gg wp" or "gg ul" or "lag :(" or something like this, never anything offensive. My name is "Rob" and my Mii is non-offensive. I am absolutely convinced that anyone can report anyone for anything and that you will be put in banland for these reports. I suspect being annoying to play against is the most reported trait you can have (and I play as a projectile heavy Link player so you can imagine lots of people find me annoying to play against).
How exzactly do you know if you are in Banland? And when you are out?

Top Bottom