• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash for 3ds Delayed to October 3rd Discussion

Do you care it was delayed

• Total voters

Raveks

Smash Rookie
Didn't even know it was delayed! But I'd much rather the game be delayed and improved than rushed and bad on release. I'm sure they had a good reason to delay it and it's only going to make the game better / more polished.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
The game comes out in September in Japan, so we really don't have that long to wait at all. I'm just glad we'll be playing Smash this year.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
The good news is that the game can improve with that extra time, if they think it's needed to make it better then by all means take the extra time.

To get back on topic:

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
Well now i'm considering buying a japanese 3DS, I won't be able to bear the wait another month while being spammed with japanese gameplay.
Anyone knows if the japanese eShop is accepting European credit cards?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't care one bit, it is only one month of delay, not one year. The Wii U people will have to wait even more anyway, I am also glad the game will be released first in Japan. This way I will know the content of the game before spending a lot of money on it. Maybe I won't even need to buy it, who knows.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Brawl being bad is a matter of opinion. I know the unanimous opinion here is that it's bad, but whatever. I like it. Sue me.

On Topic: Is this really a delay? In Japan it's being released in the Summer, and the Direct was translated from Sakurai, so maybe it's just poor translation vs. a delay. Either way I don't mind. The game will still be coming out this year, and I have already reserved a copy.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
On Topic: Is this really a delay? In Japan it's being released in the Summer, and the Direct was translated from Sakurai, so maybe it's just poor translation vs. a delay.
I would consider it a delay. They did say it would be release in Summer, not just Japan.

Also Brawl was a great game in it's own right. I enjoy it and has a lot more content than any other smash game except maybe Smash 4 when it comes out.

Last edited:

DarklyBigRabbi

Smash Cadet
Rather than the delay itself, I'm more concerned with how this will affect changes between now and the game's release. If we take the naive optimistic route and trust Nintendo/Sakurai, then the delay may be completely worth it. Remember how representatives took notes at E3/Best Buy about the players' opinions? Maybe the developers need extra time to implement the changes they deem worthy and/or further balance the game. If that's the case, I couldn't be happier. That said, I don't make games, so I have no real idea what's a feasible amount of time to make some of those changes and balance it all out.

Of course, this is the 3DS version we're talking about which definitely won't see as much competitive play as Smash WiiU. Still, it seems like Sakurai is trying to keep mechanics the same for both games (outside of the shoulder buttons on the 3DS).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Of course, this is the 3DS version we're talking about which definitely won't see as much competitive play as Smash WiiU. Still, it seems like Sakurai is trying to keep mechanics the same for both games (outside of the shoulder buttons on the 3DS).
Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but I find funny how the version which will obviously sell a lot more is automatically labeled as the one which "won't see as much competitive play", just because it is the handheld version.

DarklyBigRabbi

Smash Cadet
Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but I find funny how the version which will obviously sell a lot more is automatically labeled as the one which "won't see as much competitive play", just because it is the handheld version.
It's because more people (and casuals) have a 3DS, so it should sell more, but that won't make it competitively viable. It might see some side play, but I don't see it developing a big scene on its own because of the WiiU version. The spacing of the buttons and "stick" on the 3DS make it seem a little bit too hard to precisely control to that degree, anyway.

Last edited:

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
It's because more people (and casuals) have a 3DS, so it should sell more, but that won't make it competitively viable. It might see some side play, but I don't see it developing a big scene on its own because of the WiiU version. The spacing of the buttons and "stick" on the 3DS make it seem a little bit too hard to precisely control to that degree, anyway.
Never had a hard time using the controls on the 3ds... Of course this is just my opinion and I know many people are used to the GameCube controller and it would be cool to use it but personally if they have customizable controls, which I'm guessing it does, then I'm mapping the x button to a grab and changing it so both shoulders buttons use the shield.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not sure why I would not care, I am here for a reason, it certainly is not because I can wait for Smash as long as possible; if that was the case, I would not intend to buy the game day one or own a Wii U. It is only a couple of months is not a good excuse as in the end one could assert: "It is only a couple of years." Time is relative, I suppose. Either way, a delay is a delay and I do not embrace it. The game could be fixed via patches, but who wants an incomplete product? So might as well wait a couple of months to avoid that despite the inevitable patches that are going to happen anyways. Because logic. That is why!

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't even consider it a delay anyways. I honestly though it'd be out late September anyways.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
It's not bad at all. Japan gets in when it's Summer, so the game was basically planned for a Summer Release, just only in Japan.
Besides, it'll come out for us in early October.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
If it means he makes improvements and bug fixes and maybe adds an extra character or 2 then I'm willing to wait the extra month or 2

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'm fine with the date- Wait, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire come out a month later? Damn it Nintendo, I don't have enough time for the both!

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I've heard that it wasn't really a delay, since it's still coming out in Japan in summer technically.

I just hope the Wii U version comes out before Christmas, still.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ahhh, that is disappointing, but I can wait a little longer. Better a finished, complete game being released than a broken unfinished one.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Pretty sure they're not gonna add another character in that time.
Brawl was released with data of scrapped or unfinished playable characters. SSB4 is going to have about 50 characters put in within a few years. It's definitely possibly pushing it back a month or two could mean they could finish a character or two, polish them, and include them.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Brawl was released with data of scrapped or unfinished playable characters. SSB4 is going to have about 50 characters put in within a few years. It's definitely possibly pushing it back a month or two could mean they could finish a character or two, polish them, and include them.
Yeah but I doubt it.

Maikou

Smash Ace
My initial reaction:

Still though, if it means the game will be better I can wait a bit longer. I just hope we don't end up needing to wait even longer afterwards. the 3DS and Wii U are capable of DLC. If certain characters/stages/other addtions don't get finished before release, they can simply take the unfinished data out of the game and work on them as actual downloads of content. They could even make a quick couple of dollars by make it cost a couple of dollars.

...................................That would work, wouldn't it? or do I just not understand data and stuff to that extreme an extent?

Last edited:

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
WHY DID THEY DELAY IT?
but...then I thought that it would give them more time to put characters in but,
as with SSF2,the roster is set in stone.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yeah but I doubt it.
Well it's why Jigglypuff and Wolf were added, they had extra time so they put the work in. All of the extra clones in Melee were actually in for similar reasons as well, as the clones didn't need so much for bug testing, they were easy inclusions while they had extra time. So we might get clones, but any expansion to the roster isn't bad really.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Well it's why Jigglypuff and Wolf were added, they had extra time so they put the work in. All of the extra clones in Melee were actually in for similar reasons as well, as the clones didn't need so much for bug testing, they were easy inclusions while they had extra time. So we might get clones, but any expansion to the roster isn't bad really.
Falco will probably get a couple new moves to differentiate him from Fox even more anyways.

Maikou

Smash Ace
If I'm honest, in Melee, I loved both the clones and the original character the clones were based off of. I love Pikachu because he's an adorable freaking mouse, I loved Pichu because he's an even more adorable little mouse and according to my experiances more of a glass cannon than most give him credit for. I loved Marth because he's cool, and blue, and a swordsman, and I loved Roy because he's cool, red, and a swordsman. I loved the Star Fox characters because Falco's a bird (I love birds) and Fox was just cool, and I loved both Mario and his medical counterpart because Mario had fire and Doc M. had electricity and Death Pills. Honestly, I don't care if they're mostly the same, I love the characters for who they are and what they are.
Falco will probably get a couple new moves to differentiate him from Fox even more anyways.
I agree. Falco was kinda Luigified in Brawl and I consider Wolf similar but different enough to say that he's not a clone but he is rather close. Sure, the basic attacks themselves between Fox and Wolf were essentially the same, but Wolf used them differently. His Side-Special always moved him at an angle upwards and to the side, his Reflecter was the same for the most part but it also seemed better for offense in my opinion, and did anyone else know that Wolf's blaster could actually do melee damage if you were close enough to someone? Wolf straight up tries to bash your skull before shoots you!

I also loved how Falco's reflector was completely different and relied on timing far more than Fox's or Wolf's. He kicks it out and it returns like boomerang with the added offensive power. As Solid Snake himself says, "No reason a weapon can't have more than one use." Which I kinda think TL and Link need to learn. Not that I don't like them both either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Always remember:

This quote is in no way absolute, and you should never say it to an actual game designer. It is actually a very bad lesson.

Anyway, the game is out in 96 days now. So not that far off.

R0Y

Smash Master
This quote is in no way absolute, and you should never say it to an actual game designer. It is actually a very bad lesson.

Anyway, the game is out in 96 days now. So not that far off.
You mean like Miyamoto..?

Nothing is absolute, but this quote is great truth. Being a Sonic Fan, I'd figure you know why delays (or their lack,) can make or break a game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You mean like Miyamoto..?

Nothing is absolute, but this quote is great truth. Being a Sonic Fan, I'd figure you know why delays (or their lack,) can make or break a game.

>implying Sonic '06 was bad BECAUSE of rushing or anything

Dude, that game was conceptually ****. It was doomed from the beginning (and it DID go through development hell, between Yuji Naka leaving and everything, so really, rushing wasn't the problem). Heck, even the level design didn't feel properly built for a Sonic game, which is something that would have been established in the conceptual stages.

Delaying a game means you risk falling behind other games technologically, or risk selling it at a terrible time (the sad story of Rayman Legends comes to mind).

Delaying games is something that should be avoided at all costs, and your deadlines should be realistic from the get go as a result. Games shouldn't have announced release dates until it's reasonable to give them one.

However, a small delay like the one Smash 3DS is getting is fine. I'm more referring to delays that go into half a year territory, and just how citing Miyamoto's little quote isn't very good.

Top Bottom