• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Cursing Vocabulary List (Contains some vulgar language)

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
(Warning, there will be some offensive language in this post, used only informatively and in good intention)

There has almost always been a discussion about getting rid of certain words (****, mostly) within the Smash community, but Supermodel From Paris' comment on the recent "Have we lost our way?" article gave me an idea.

Supermodel said he thinks "destruction" is a good word to replace ****, because it carries weight in the way "****" does, without being inappropriate. I think it'd be sweet to compile a list of words that replace inappropriate words, so we can put our own Smash spin on our trash talk.

Destruction is a great choice, and I really hope it sticks.

Let's brainstorm some good words that replace curses and inappropriate slang, guys! However, make sure what you suggest isn't easily alluding to the word you're replacing. The idea here isn't to secretly remain inappropriate.

If you guys want, I can credit the users attached to each word.

If nothing else, this could help serve as a go-to list of words for people that might not be great at expressing what they want without the intensity of a curse.

I'm going to manage this thread and create the list as we decide on words as long as the thread gets and stays active, and if there are multiple suggestions we'll just go with what has the most likes. The best thing about this is there aren't rules in free speech, so don't feel like I'm trying to regulate what you say. If you come up with something you like, feel free to use that word as often as you want!
EDIT: From now on, it's just going to be a list of good words to use when playing Smash that are appropriate.

"****" exchanged for - Bop (community), Destruction (Supermodel From Paris, community)

Get Dunked! (Hard, aerial kills with a dunking motion. G-dorf f-air, Mario f-air, etc.)

Spreading the Sauce, Jank/Janky, (making a bad decision/failing an attempt)

Meeting the blast zone, Percent Reset (dying)

Giving a free stock, handicapping (SD's)

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Bop is a good one. I feel like it's be almost too cheesy, but also a lot of fun to completely replace f**k with Smash.
And trash talking is always fun if you stay silly. No more fun is to be had between two players than somebody saying they're gonna give the other one a knuckle sandwich.
This is how trash talking goes down in Elma a lot of the time.
"I'm gonna give you a one way ticket. A one way ticket to pound town. I heard they're opening a nice new restaurant, open the menu and all they got is knuckle sandwiches. Maybe if you get thirsty they'll open a can of whoop-ass for you."

TreK

Is "that guy"
to "gimp" -> to dunk, to steal, to rob, interception (in reference to the in game tutorial)

a "gay" playstyle -> campy, shy, timid, lame (although I wouldn't advise commentators to talk down the players they're commentating to begin with)

a "********/dumb" decision -> stupid, brain fart

a "********" move -> rad, free money, stupid good

Those are just random thoughts, I'm sure you'll find better replacements.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

oh my god where do you people come from

go back to tumblr

christ

MLGF

Smash Lord
If we get rid of gimp, I'm going back to air-dash fighters I swear to god.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
I got some
"Get ______"
Dunked
Destroyed
Decimated
Spiked
Wreckt

Campy playstyles are spammy.

Falcon Knee "THE KNEE OF JUST ICE!"
I like this one only because the knee of justice has been around forever.
Making the zoidberg noise when you gimp or spike someone.
Dunked is great for mario fair.
I like bopped for shiek fair, or comparing it to a cat swipe because that's what it reminds me of.
I call people out for giving away free stocks rather than suiciding, or tell them they shouldn't have that much confidence that they can just give me a lead. I heard someone say on a stream that "SD's are accepted currency here and we will take em straight to the bank" which I rather liked.

I also wanted to grab something from another thread

I've heard Smash compared to chess, a symphony, jazz. In those areas, people execute with skill and wit [...] I see Smash as a beautiful thing in this world and would prefer to have a vernacular surrounding it that supports that view.
Smash is truly a beautiful thing in my mind, and english is not even limited to stuff like this
More suggestions: "gets to meet the blast zone", "got his percent reset", "can now enjoy a fresh stock".
Casters that start using stuff like this, over things like "He gets thrown off the edge" or "Ooooh, he gets destroyed" are quickly going to become favourites. Smash is all about creativity. If you can't be super creative during a match, then your may be playing the wrong game :p

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I've never used "********" in my vocabulary, knowing and caring about someone who suffers from a mental illness.

Really... it's not hard to speak differently. I don't even think about it. Sometimes, I'll say that a move is ridiculous, or I'll say that the other is spreading the sauce (stupid sauce).

As for "****"... I don't really say it. I don't have a replacement either. I kind of agree with the idea that we be careful with our language. I hate to see my brother's mood go down when he hears youtube commentators say "********".

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Piggybacking on what Vigilante said, incorporate the word sloppy or jank in place of what people commonly use "********" for.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
please don't use spreading the sauce, this is cringe worthy seriously

instead of suicide, we could (wait no we do) say thats a free stock, you didn't have to work for it or something like that

i mean, i'm not against you guys trying to change the vocab in smash, but if you do try to change make sure its not a bunch of cringe words or phrases, its just dumb

sushifreAk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cyb3Rnite
3DS FC
4554-0880-9460
I'm all for "free money", but "Spreading the Sauce", "Get Dunked" and "Janky"?
We want to make the community less offensive, not make it for five year olds.

Also, no one uses "gimp" as a derogatory term anymore. I'm pretty sure like half of people don't even know what that actually means.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for "free money", but "Spreading the Sauce", "Get Dunked" and "Janky"?
We want to make the community less offensive, not make it for five year olds.

Also, no one uses "gimp" as a derogatory term anymore. I'm pretty sure like half of people don't even know what that actually means.
Janky is actually already pretty common

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Idk I'm not here to judge what you guys recommend, especially considering a lot of lingo I've already learned from Smash would have been considered stupid or for five year olds before I played.
Take wavedash for example. Where does the "wave" come from? Is is because the smoke looks like a wave? I don't think so. Could have easily been called dodge-slide or jump-dash. Something that makes actual sense.
Also, I've heard janky and clanky the entire time I've played this game.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I think SD and Gimped are fine, never seen anyone cringe or get offended when those terms were said

And my friend made up a term,
When you talk **** to someone than get your ass handed back to you, he calls it getting "Paradox'd"

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If you win a game, the best thing to do, is calm down, and whisper destruction into your victim's ear, and don't even move till they acknowledge the fact that you haven't moved away from their ear. If done correctly, they will look exactly like hbox at the end of mango's c9 promo.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So honestly being from Australia where regularly cursing is sort of uh, accepted? idk what word I would use, but there's literally no way in hell this type of political correctness would go down well here.

Recently I have been trying to replace the word "****" with "wrecked", "rekt" and the like, but honestly that's as far as I'll go.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Idk I'm not here to judge what you guys recommend, especially considering a lot of lingo I've already learned from Smash would have been considered stupid or for five year olds before I played.
Take wavedash for example. Where does the "wave" come from? Is is because the smoke looks like a wave? I don't think so. Could have easily been called dodge-slide or jump-dash. Something that makes actual sense.
You have to leave the ground in order to get that airdodge momentum to transfer to ground momentum. A perfect one may not look like you've left the ground, but the game at least thinks you did.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Recently I have been trying to replace the word "****" with "wrecked", "rekt" and the like, but honestly that's as far as I'll go.
Honestly i think that's as far as anyone needs to go unless your on stream.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
the guy who coined the term wavedash came from tekken, where it's used to describe a movement option (you'll also see this term used in the marvel series).

he named it such, because the way the movement gets animated by the game looks similar, even if they're input very differently.

this is from the same norcal crew that coined sex kick and shine.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Buncha babbies
People are responsible for their own level of sensitivity to words.
If you do not have that much control over your emotions, it should not be someone else's problem.
That's all there is to it.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Lets just replace words like "****" and "********." Words like these probably need to go.

As for curse words y'all need to grow a pair, I don't give a flyin **** about what your views on curse words are.

Last edited:

Mischief

Smash Cadet
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/our-lady-j/rupauls-drag-race_b_5148719.html
Dangers of policing language from within the queer community. Same logic applies here.

"Psychologists have long recognized the importance of play in childhood development of identity, and as people who have had the formation of queer identities delayed by social suppression, we need to remember the importance of play in our adult lives. The current class war within our community and its overpolicing of language threatens the core of our creative abundance. Are we really willing to sacrifice the heartbeat of our queer identities in order to calm the hissing ego of fanaticism?"

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Why can't we just accept that these words have gained a whole new definition in the world of Smash?

**** clearly does not mean that someone was sexually assaulted in game.
Gay clearly does not mean someone is homosexual. Heck, it CERTAINLY does not mean the person is happy.
Gimped clearly does not mean someone is limp within game.
******** clearly does not mean the player has metal ***********.

Seriously, are we legitimately thinking about getting rid of these terms? Why don't we just consider everyone an equal give one no any extra special treatment? We all know very well what the intended meaning of these words are.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Why do people WANT words like "****" and "********" to be part of our vernacular?
Got something to say?

Anyway:

obliterate
annihilate
mollywhopp
dusted
bamboozle
omniwhomped (one of my favorites, I made it up lol)
bodied
bodybagged
dropped
popped
jobbed(top 5, free LOL)
atomized
Yamcha'd LIKE SO

wack
wack-__(a-word for maximum effectiveness for these)
janky-__
_____-a ss (i.e. That's a janky-a ss marth, you SUCK! LOL)
_____'d like ____ and _____ yo a ss(SHOUTOUTS TO SHOFU, BODYBAG #1 *dead*)

Do you really need more than these?

Last edited:

Deepest Waters

Smash Rookie
Since when was "gimp" a rude term? My friends have been calling me gimpy because of my cane and I take no offense. I am in fact gimped, and it doesn't matter.

I think the smash community can decipher what the words actually mean because when I say "That is so ********" after I falcon kick off the edge I certainly don't mean my hunky mass Captain Falcon has a form of mental ***********.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Why do people WANT words like "****" and "********" to be part of our vernacular?
Got something to say?

Anyway:

obliterate
annihilate
mollywhopp
dusted
bamboozle
omniwhomped (one of my favorites, I made it up lol)
bodied
bodybagged
dropped
popped
jobbed(top 5, free LOL)
atomized
Yamcha'd LIKE SO

wack
wack-__(a-word for maximum effectiveness for these)
janky-__
_____-a ss (i.e. That's a janky-a ss marth, you SUCK! LOL)
_____'d like ____ and _____ yo a ss(SHOUTOUTS TO SHOFU, BODYBAG #1 *dead*)

Do you really need more than these?
I understand one can choose a plethora of words to comment on a situation within Smash, but I don't believe people activiely ponder analytically and "choose" to say the currently popular slang terms to ellusidate the game. I'm quite certain that people use the terms they use because they find them funny and enjoyable to say, especially since they roll off the tounge in a rather simple manner. This isn't a job interview, after all.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
The point is that there has to be things that cannot be said.
Smashers aren't like that, or shouldn't be allowed to be, as no one should.

Top Bottom