• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Career

Donovan McGrabb

Smash Rookie
Anyway to turn smash into a career. Is it possible to live off of money made in tournaments or what should I do?

Raijinken

Smash Master
If you're really good, probably possible. If not, I'd suggest using tournaments as side-money. Even still, you've gotta be pretty darn good.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Don't quit your day job for one thing. The people who win money at big tournaments dedicate their entire waking lives to studying the game. Big-league eSports is exactly like big-league physical sports in that aspect. So unless you're ready to make that level of commitment, the prizes earned from smaller-scale tournaments are nice, although not enough to survive on alone.

Last edited:

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
Get a capture card for 3ds and stream on twitch, but yeah don't quit your dayjob its bascially pan-handling.

Although ppl like M2K do manage to live completely off of smash, flying to tournaments and making youtube/twitch money

Edit: btw I did not mean that to sound like twitch streamers are beggers I love everyone on twitch, I just mean that your counting on the generosity of others to make a buck here and there

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have to be M2K level, in skill and reputation, so you can win tournaments and get a substantial amount of subs on twitch.

Kori

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't suggest aiming to make a career out of it. What would you do in ten years? 20? Is there a retirement plan? Benefits? Insurance? Do you have a family? Are you planning on it? Do you really want to gamble your living on a "what if"? Do it for the extra money, but don't count on it being your life.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
It is completely possible. You will have to start off small by competing in every single small tournament you can find. Once you've gotten a grasp of how tournaments work you move up to larger events which usually have streams available. If you do great at the larger tournaments your name and wins will get you exposure to others. As mentioned by others reputation is key. If people like you they'll want to see more of your videos. To completely make this a career you have to dedicate everything to learning the game and pursue all the top level tournaments.

And yes streaming Twitch, making impression videos on Youtube, or even making podcasts are extra ways for people to know more about you and make money. Additionally if you're extremely good you can be picked up by a Sponsor. Those people pay for your trips, hotels, and entry fees usually. Though there have been some downsides with some Sponsors..

Kokiris

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't suggest aiming to make a career out of it. What would you do in ten years? 20? Is there a retirement plan? Benefits? Insurance? Do you have a family? Are you planning on it? Do you really want to gamble your living on a "what if"? Do it for the extra money, but don't count on it being your life.
LOL what an adventurous life. <_<

Donovan McGrabb

Smash Rookie
So more of the youtube side and just being good. Are there any big smash channels on youtube?

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
I have no idea how much prize money is available for Smash tournaments, but if we're talking grands then there's a slight possibility that you will actually be able to live off the funds. Like others have already mentioned though, your best bet would be to build yourself a reputation, and that is something that can take YEARS to accomplish, and that's considering if you actually accomplish that. You would have to treat it like it was a course - MK2 Level, and even if you do, you still might not become famous but you'd become good.

I wouldn't use it as a set in stone plan, but it's definitely something you could do with your spare time, and would be a nice additional way of making extra cash.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I'm not going to tell you want you can and can't do. If you want to make a living off of it just don't expect to get rich quick, or at all.

Have a plan and be flexible. Many people have got really good at their respective games and ended up in careers not directly competing in their game. Some go off and become designers, developers, artist, youtube personalities, PR people. But the one thing they have in common they show dedication and determination.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
So more of the youtube side and just being good. Are there any big smash channels on youtube?
I'd recommend clashtournaments personally - chibo is a chill and cool guy, and very hardworking. Twitch is a good place to watch smash stuff too, though it's currently only populated by players who have a 3ds capture card (not necessarily good players). ZeRo is an exception of course.

My channel is focusing on competitive Smash 4 from the perspective of a commentator, so check that out if you like - CobbsGames. I also work on community-building and generally bringing people together in the scene.
Personally I'd also check out ZeRo - he's a really cool guy and is currently the most popular smasher on twitch/youtube, due to having a capture card but actually being good at the game (unlike a lot of the streamers on twitch, who are mostly just making a quick buck due to low competition).

Vg bootcamp is pretty good too.

Hope that helps! :)

This is the case for many career paths nowadays.

Also, no self-employed person gets benefits or insurance. It's up to you to do this. It's a huge challenge, but I wouldn't say being self employed isn't possible any more. If anything, with how companies don't care about employee retention any more, I'd say being self-employed can sometimes be a worthwhile endeavor so long as you are responsible.

Hang on to the dream and never give up.
Giving up is necessary sometimes. If your house, family, or health is being put on the line, it's time to change gears. I've seen too many fathers and mothers put their house and childrens' education fund on the line for the purposes of investing in a failing business idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom