• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros on Oculus Rift: Could this be the future?

Rasko

Smash Apprentice
It would be fun the first time using it, but non first person games would be really sickening. Especially a game like smash would cause serious headaches.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Step 1.) Pick Peach or zelda
Step 2.) Full jump
Step 3.) strain neck
Lucas zap jump for the win amirite?

I really like this idea, if nothing else it allows me to look into the scenery and kinda immerse myself in the world more. That though in itself could be challenging for peeps in a room trying to play together (everyone'd probably bump into each other hahaha). Also, as peeps have stated, it'd be physically challenging to play.

However I think it adds another option which in itself is just... cool.

As people have also mentioned, I think if a game like smash were to be created solely for the Oculus Rift or a successor to it, the idea would be playing as your actual character, from their perspective. That would be challenging but in a way it could also be really, really awesome. :)

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
The technology is neat, but doesn't really seem applicable in Smash the way it's currently designed. Still interesting, though, and worth looking into further by Nintendo.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else really digging that Super Mario 64 remix?

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Could shaking your head around like stevie wonder in order to move a character on a head mounted display be the future?
No.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I tried oculus rift once but it made me really dizzy. It's like being in two different places at once. I wasn't fully into the game cuz i'm conscious about the reallife i'm still in but I could not sense anything from outside of the game... was really confusing and i turned it off pretty quickly... If this is the future then i hope there's gonna be some adjustments and maybe another way of getting the same experience. It's still a *beep* cool invention but it needs something to get it more friendly.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oculus Rift technology is really cool in general, but it really doesn't suit a game like Smash.

Maybe it'd be cool for Photo Mode and Replays, but it's just gonna present a lot of problems for gameplay. The 3D effect on the 3DS is good enough for Smash.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't know if the world is ready to see virtual reality Zero Suit Samus. The slowed down gameplay doesn't help.

Joking aside, this is pretty cool but I think that Oculus is better suited for things like horror games... heck, even a 3D fighter, or Punch-out, like it was mentioned earlier. But Smash? Nah, Smash don't need this gimmick.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I find this concept very interesting. Originally I thought Oculus rift would only be for 3D. But it seems to do very well with a style like Smash Bros.

It kind of reminds me of the second playthrough of Custom Robo in terms of drastic change and having another option to play a game you love. In the first playthrough you have an overhead view so you get used to everything, the second playthrough it becomes a fire person shooter.
I would love to see a more challenging mode. I could spas about the individual possibilities about why I love this idea, but I'll keep the fanboying over the Oculus Rift for another time.

Top Bottom