• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Smash Bros. for Wii U & Melee (Disrespect)

Dr. Doctor

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkwingBuck
Let's take a step back for a moment.

Smash 4 is easier to follow for newer players. I enjoy watching it because I can follow it easier. Me lee is fast, and has a steeper learning curve, but is very much exciting to watch. Smash 4 is still evolving, and is the first Smash game that can be patched. Nintendo can work on balancing for as long as they want to. Smash 4 is infinitely better than Brawl for competitive play in terms of speed, but it disheartens me to see both sides showing elitism.

The communities for Melee and *insert newest Smash game here* are equatable to League of Legends and Dota 2, the two most mutually hated communities on the Internet. I'm not saying Melee or Smash 4 is anywhere near as toxic as LoL or Dota, but this has to stop. The Wii U finals didn't take that long, compared to some games (CS:GO BO3s can take 3 hours for ONE game), and Zero won fair and square with Diddy.

This is a plea, from a new player to the veterans of Melee and Smash 4:

Stop. Please, don't do this again.

FormlessD

Smash Rookie
It'll be interesting how Nintendo responds to Apex. From what I can tell the individuals we see like JC or Trinen are in full on support of Smash competition in general. But the Splatoon kiosk being out for only one day, bad reactions to Smash 4, and low viewer count on the newcomer stream vs good reactions (high view count in general) and shoutouts

Ulevo

Smash Master
It really isn't. Out of the top 16 of singles, only 4 used Diddy, and the only one in top 4 was ZeRo. Dabuz switched to not Diddy to counter Diddy and that seemed to work fine.

Diddy dominance had nothing to do with the crowd chanting for Melee. They simply wanted Melee, and didn't care about Smash WiiU. That's fine except they were disrespectful in expressing that. It's like these people will never stop voicing their opinion that they don't like Smash4, in as loud ways as they can find. It's ridiculous.

Several random people would try to strike up a casual conversation with me throughout Apex by stating an opinion along the lines of "lol Melee's the best, there's no other smash". Sick of it.
There's a difference between people preferring Melee and people thinking Smash Wii U is bad. Not surprisingly, there isn't a big community divide this time around, and that's primarily because Smash Wii U isn't terrible. That doesn't mean that people don't have their opinions on what they prefer though, or that there won't be rude outliers who behave poorly.

All that said, it doesn't matter that only two players amongst the top 8 were playing Diddy because it's honestly a sign of things to come, and people sense that. It might be 2 now, but what are the next set of grand finals going to look like? Not to take anything away from Zero or anything, but you saw how much he dominated his matches. I'm not led to believe that it was entirely due to simply how good he is as a player. I feel that once several people make the switch, we'll see less diversity. People know this. That's why people cringed at the idea of even one Diddy Kong being in the top 8.

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
There's a difference between people preferring Melee and people thinking Smash Wii U is bad. Not surprisingly, there isn't a big community divide this time around, and that's primarily because Smash Wii U isn't terrible. That doesn't mean that people don't have their opinions on what they prefer though, or that there won't be rude outliers who behave poorly.

All that said, it doesn't matter that only two players amongst the top 8 were playing Diddy because it's honestly a sign of things to come, and people sense that. It might be 2 now, but what are the next set of grand finals going to look like? Not to take anything away from Zero or anything, but you saw how much he dominated his matches. I'm not led to believe that it was entirely due to simply how good he is as a player. I feel that once several people make the switch, we'll see less diversity. People know this. That's why people cringed at the idea of even one Diddy Kong being in the top 8.
To be fair to Zero, his Diddy was on a completely different level from some of the other players. A lot of other Diddy's are so focused on getting the "Hoo Hah", other players start reading it and punishing it. Zero used his grabs as punishes more than set ups. Most of his gameplay was an unrelenting barrage of short hop aerials, not giving his opponents a chance to breath. And he definitely deserves it. The man puts in ridiculous amounts of work. He has tons of information on his YouTube channel, and really knows what he's doing. Zero earned his win, which is why it was so disappointing to see his work undermined by Melee chants.

All that said, yes, Diddy overall is still a problem. We'll see what happens in the future with balance patches that may or may not come, and what happens as the meta develops.

Dr. Doctor

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkwingBuck
To be fair to Zero, his Diddy was on a completely different level from some of the other players. A lot of other Diddy's are so focused on getting the "Hoo Hah", other players start reading it and punishing it. Zero used his grabs as punishes more than set ups. Most of his gameplay was an unrelenting barrage of short hop aerials, not giving his opponents a chance to breath. And he definitely deserves it. The man puts in ridiculous amounts of work. He has tons of information on his YouTube channel, and really knows what he's doing. Zero earned his win, which is why it was so disappointing to see his work undermined by Melee chants.

All that said, yes, Diddy overall is still a problem. We'll see what happens in the future with balance patches that may or may not come, and what happens as the meta develops.
This. Nintendo can patch Smash, now, so this game can evolve further than any other.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice

The metagame hasn't developed so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't look like Diddy has the matchup dominance to take over tournaments. If you look at the Pacman boards for example, there's a general belief that Pacman holds a 60/40ish matchup advantage right now. And indeed, Abadango beat Aerolink's Diddy in top 16 so badly that he switched away from Diddy. It looks like Zero did send Abadango into Losers and I don't know for sure what kind of matchup that was, but I'm willing to bet that Zero is just a really good player.

I get the feeling that optimism on the Diddy matchup isn't confined to the Pacman boards. Diddy is a good character, but he's no MK.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Stop. Please, don't do this again.
They will do it again though.

Not surprisingly, there isn't a big community divide this time around.
... there is. Just wait a couple of weeks or months if you can't see it yet. There's already massive Smash 4 hatred going on on social media by Melee folks and it's bound to get worse unless the melee community starts to change its ways.

:059:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
The metagame hasn't developed so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't look like Diddy has the matchup dominance to take over tournaments. If you look at the Pacman boards for example, there's a general belief that Pacman holds a 60/40ish matchup advantage right now. And indeed, Abadango beat Aerolink's Diddy in top 16 so badly that he switched away from Diddy. It looks like Zero did send Abadango into Losers and I don't know for sure what kind of matchup that was, but I'm willing to bet that Zero is just a really good player.

I get the feeling that optimism on the Diddy matchup isn't confined to the Pacman boards. Diddy is a good character, but he's no MK.

Well, Oilmar looks to be a pretty good counter to Diddy, and unless I'm wrong, I head that Luigi also does very well against Diddy.

To be honest, Diddy looked kinda overrated in the matches that I saw him in. For a character that was being touted as Smash 4's Meta Knight, not only does he have some clear flaws and issues, there are other characters that seem to counter him.

It should say something when only 2 Diddy players made it into the top 8, and only one made it to the Grand Finals.

I know Zero won it, but that's a far cry from Brawl where Meta Knight dittos were all over the place. I think there were even fewer Diddy players in the top 8 then Pikachu players in 64 and Fox players in Melee's top 8s.

Do I see a good character in Diddy? Yes, but he's a far cry from the unstoppable monster that people were hyping him to be.

I_just_reallylikeLink

Smash Rookie
Honestly, the TO's just need to regulate time a bit better and make more strict rules for that kind of behavior. The vocal minority (because most people were honestly just lurking) made everyone else look foolish.
This can be handled better by just changing up the structure a bit.. making top 4 only Best of 5, having multiple streaming channels so certain parts of some events can overlap with others.
Just things that could have helped overall.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The vocal minority (because most people were honestly just lurking) made everyone else look foolish.
Then why doesn't the "silent majority" step up for once and speak up against these people if they make them look like fools? Seems like they don't actually mind it all that much. Silence is approval in this case, no johns.

I_just_reallylikeLink

Smash Rookie
Because then they wouldn't be called the "silent majority". But seriously, kids are gonna be kids. There's been a pretty big uproar on every site about what happened yesterday, now we just have to see if it's big enough to impact future events.

Samara4U

Smash Rookie
Thank you!! I accept that Sm4sh and Melee are two different games and can be enjoyed differently. Same goes for people complaining about Dabuz, I personally was mesmerized by his strategic play with Olimar and it was a pleasure to watch.

To be fair, it was really late at night and the crowd was just cheering for whoever the front runner was, a 3-0 means the tournament moves on faster which is understandably the favored outcome.

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
The Melee community is a problem and will continue to be one unless their representants actually step it up and call the obvious problem by name. I have a lot of respect for what D1 and prog are doing but they are two [+ a few other good people] outnumbered in a crowd of thousands of melee jihadists. The Brawl genocide by the Melee community has already happened, Smash 4 will be next in line without a doubt.

What the Melee community does and did was and will always be wrong. Unless they face this fact they will continue to make things terrible for everybody else [and themselves eventually].

You do realize the Brawl community actively tried to kill melee when it came out?
Edit: This is just the Melee vs. Brawl war all over again, but this time, there is no way Melee can die, and the Melee community knows that, so they are more smug/confident. Leaders from both communities need to have a "summit" for lack of a better term, and figure out what to do and whether both communities can co-exist, or if they need to be split.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You do realize the Brawl community actively tried to kill melee when it came out?
I don't remember the Brawl community spreading anti-melee propaganda on youtube disguised as a "smash documentary".
I don't remember Brawl players ridiculing Melee players or their streams at tournaments where both games were hosted.
I don't remember Melee players getting booed and insulted by Brawlers for playing their game.
I don't remember Brawl players ripping the Melee community into two through lousy attempts to hack their game.

It all happened the other way around though [and it's just the tip of the iceberg of all th **** the Melee community gave us]. It will happen again, this time Smash 4 will be on the receiving end but the offender will be the same.

Last edited:

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
Let's back up for a second.

Is Melee a better competitive game than Smash 4? Who cares?
Is Smash 4 too slow? Who cares?
Is Smash 4 easier to follow? Who cares?
Is access for newcomers easier in Smash 4? Who cares?

The bottom line is the heckling and disrespect is completely unacceptable. Period.

I'm mainly playing Smash 4, so that's my interest right now, but that doesn't mean I dislike Melee. In fact, I kind of enjoyed watching the Melee finals more, so it's not about allegiance.

This isn't all gamers, this isn't even all Nintendo fans. This is just Smash fans. I hate seeing everything so split in two. It's sad. Being honest, the sadder part is that I don't see people heckling Melee. This isn't anything about separating events, keeping people apart. People need to come together. There's really no reason not to.

Smash on, friends.

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
I don't remember the Brawl community spreading anti-melee propaganda on youtube disguised as a "smash documentary".
I don't remember Brawl players ridiculing Melee players or their streams at tournaments where both games were hosted.
I don't remember Melee players getting booed and insulted by Brawlers for playing their game.
I don't remember Brawl players ripping the Melee community into two through lousy attempts to hack their game.

It all happened the other way around though [and it's just the tip of the iceberg of all th **** the Melee community gave us]. It will happen again, this time Smash 4 will be on the receiving end but the offender will be the same.

1. If you honestly think the documentary was just anti-Brawl propaganda you are amazingly inept.

2. Brawl players (and now Smash 4 players) sh** on melee players, telling them to move on from their outdated game, and calling them "meleefags". The disrespect goes both ways.

3. I can't comment on past in-person events. The boo-ing of zero was rude and unwarranted, but you can bet your ass it wasn't just the Melee community boo-ing him. I feel like the hate on Zero isn't about Smash 4, but more about Zero himself, which is another problem entirely.
The chant for Melee immediately after grand finals was inconsiderate and rude, but Smash 4 pushed Melee into the next day. It was late. People were excited to finally see melee. Melee top 8 also had way less viewers than it would've had if it were earlier, and people knew that. Most of that was the fault of the stream scheduling, but it was pretty unavoidable due to what happened Friday. With that said, the in-person disrespect definitely needs to be discussed and discouraged.

4. If you are salty about people leaving Brawl and playing Project M, you need to grow up. PM was made by both Melee players and Brawl players alike. Also, you just insulted Project M players. Looks like you are a hypocrite.
A certain section of melee and Brawl fans wanted to make a new game that appealed to their interests. Why is that a bad thing? And while I don't play Project M, it is not a "lousy attempt to hack their game".

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This never happened.

Melee players jumped ship when Brawl came out. Brawl was the new game, and everyone sponsored it. Once Brawl turned out to be "Not Melee", everyone jumped back and did a bunch of stuff to revive it, and it worked.

If anything, the makings of Project: M (and other Brawl mods) put Brawl on life support, then it was quietly snuffed out by Smash 4.

Brawl players never cared about Melee existing. They were working on developing their own metagame. The Melee vs Brawl cluster came from the fact that people liked Brawl and people liked Melee, and for some reason people take differences in taste as if it's an insult.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
1. Melee is a better competitive game than Smash 4.
2. High-level Melee is more fun to watch than high-level Smash 4.
3. The Melee competitive community contains better rivalries and better storylines than the Smash 4 competitive community.
4. Dabuz's playstyle and Diddy Kong are snooze-inducing.
1. A game where two thirds of the cast, or arguably every character except one, is unviable is a competitive failure, Smash community is just so used to balance issues that they ignore them completely. Characters make a fighting game for a lot of people.

2. Taking the above point into consideration, while Melee's physics certainly make it more spectator friendly, seeing the same characters over and over may get fairly bland for a lot of people including myself. Maybe Smash 4 will end up this way too, but as of now that's not the case.

3. Smash 4 has been out for 2 months, Melee for 14 years. Besides not everyone is into drama and ego puffing.

4. I agree and most probably do, but I respect him going against the popular opinion and playing to get the win in his own way. Not many have the balls to not care about appealing to the crowds.

Now can we stop saying things like these and quit judging a new game because a 14 year old game of the same series has had more development? I don't see people around saying that USF4 or LoL is a better competitive game than Melee even though by their scenes and popularity they are. That's because they're different enough that everyone understands they're different games that people play for different reasons. This is something the Melee crowd was unable to do for Brawl and now keeps showing further incapability with Smash 4. Do they feel like something is stepping on Melees toes and they have to defend their game god, now having some sort of justification to disrespect the other one? It's completely thoughtless mob culture and a damn shame.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Melee fanboys are nothing but a bunch of idiots. Come on I love Melee, but Brawl and Smash 4 are also great. Their attitude towards the latter two makes me hate them so freaking much.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I was with you until you said that. No Brawler ever took offense in people saying they prefer Melee.
Honestly, I'm being "politically correct".

The Brawl players were cool until they were talked down, and then they started to bite back, making threads about hating Melee and such. This caused a greater rift and I don't really condone that, but I will clarify and say none of that would have happened if Melee fans left the Brawl players alone.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty obvious as to why things are the way they are. Melee and Smash 4 both need to keep a stream of new players to survive. If you're a new player with no outside influence, are you going to play a 6 month old version of a game or a 14 year old version? The Melee community needs to disparage the newer games in order to pull the new players away and survive. That's why it's never just "I like to play Melee because ____" or "I don't like to play Brawl because ____", it's ALWAYS "Smash 4 sucks because it doesn't have ____ and Melee does", or "Melee's ____ is better than Brawl's".

This is why the Melee culture is so toxic. Without the combination of promoting Melee and disparaging newer games, Melee doesn't pull in the newer players. Thus, new players inherit this attitude and thus perpetuates the cycle. Hence, #ButItsNotMelee.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I didn't expect to get this kinda response. It's a bit of a relief that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Also I did a little bit of time stamping for curiosity sake.

Smash Bros. for Wii U finals clocked in at an estimate of 3 1/2 hours. Melee clocked in at almost 4 hours of stream time (this isn't counting the interviews and the post-stuff from both games).

Just sayin'. Not to rag on Melee, because I don't see these times taking too long, but it kinda irks me.

Zork

Smash Apprentice

I always thought this was the case. It's hilarious when it's called the 'Smash' documentary when it's really just a Melee only circlejerk about mostly irrelevant overrated players who were 'good' at a time when everyone else was garbage. And this is coming from someone that enjoys watching and playing competitive Melee a lot.

It's pretty obvious what the real intention of the documentary was and it definitely succeeded. Even Smash 4 players hate on Brawl, casuals and competitive alike, which is extremely ironic considering all the best Smash 4 players came from Brawl.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
I was considering getting involved with the melee scene during the brawl era for a while. That is until I saw how vitriolic the community is, at which point I wanted nothing to do with it. Its awful to see that hasn't changed at all, and if anything has just gotten worse.

Last edited:

Zork

Smash Apprentice
I love Melee and I'm not going to hate it because of how the community acts and there's no denying Smash 4 has serious issues (look into my steps down from Brawl topic for details).

With that said people should not be surprised in the slightest on how the Melee community behaves. Some of Melee's top players openly hate on Brawl/Smash 4 as well as several other prominent members in the community. And most of the community religiously follows whatever they say. The Smash community in general basically lets the Melee community dictate and speak for Smash as a whole.

And I'm not just talking about on twitter or on their own streams. I remember one Apex (might have been 2013) where a Melee commentator literally said on stream after Melee was over something like 'well now that Melee is over we're going home, Brawl is trash'. No one reprimanded him. Ironically Brawl was way more hype and got way more viewers that year than Melee despite finishing at like 4AM EST.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Actually, Zork. Many of the top Melee players have been rather respectful to Smash 4. PPMD only spoke of his dislike of Smash 4 when he was asked about it, and you don't see him causing a ruckus. Mango may not like the game either, but I haven't seen him doing that either. If he does, it's in his own personal stream (where it's mostly talking about other things anyways and just having a good time). In the public eye, most of the top players are respectful and stay focused on what matters to them; Melee. Leffen could learn to not be such a dink about it meanwhile, though he's a "villain" in the first place.

It's the crowds and the followers that cry out in unison that create this problem and it spreads and creates bad vibes.

Big shout outs to the big Melee names though. Love or hate the new games or whatever, at least I don't really see them putting the new game on blast when it's trying to grow and develop.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Zork. Many of the top Melee players have been rather respectful to Smash 4. PPMD only spoke of his dislike of Smash 4 when he was asked about it, and you don't see him causing a ruckus. Mango may not like the game either, but I haven't seen him doing that either. If he does, it's in his own personal stream (where it's mostly talking about other things anyways and just having a good time). In the public eye, most of the top players are respectful and stay focused on what matters to them; Melee. Leffen could learn to not be such a dink about it meanwhile, though he's a "villain" in the first place.

It's the crowds and the followers that cry out in unison that create this problem and it spreads and creates bad vibes.

Big shout outs to the big Melee names though. Love or hate the new games or whatever, at least I don't really see them putting the new game on blast when it's trying to grow and develop.
Not completely trashing it is your idea of respect? Not a single top Melee player has ever reprimanded the community for disrespecting Smash 4 say even yesterday. Once again, the documentary was basically propaganda made to spread the lie that Melee is the only game that matters and it succeeded and you are all seeing the consequences. Most of these same top players were featured in it but choose not to speak up now.

I guarantee if the documentary also gave Brawl a fair showing you wouldn't be seeing all this hate towards Smash 4. Because for one, people would be able to recognize a lot of these top Smash 4 players from Brawl. Yes twitch chats and such are hiveminds but they don't come out of nowhere. They are full of casual players and FGC members and they've basically been told that everything except Melee is trash.

Last edited:

Matieo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Matieo
My 2 cents,

I wasn't at Apex, but I was part of the group last night that was watching, growing tired of, and consequently bashing Smash 4's stream, not in Twitch chat, but on Twitter. The consensus there was that Melee stopped right when it was getting hype; Leffen had just beaten M2K and Top 8 was pretty much set. That's when the switch from Melee to Smash 4 happened. It was just really bad timing for the stream, and maybe even for the players. Mango, for example, looked out of it against Leffen, aMSa, and Armada when play had finally resumed.

Here's the other problem with that happening that some of you have already touched upon: Smash 4 hasn't developed into an exciting fighting game yet. I'm sure most of us love playing Smash 4, and consider it a great sequel, but right now it's not as fun to watch as Melee, which is at it's peak. Top 8 in Smash 4 would've been very boring, IMO, if it weren't for ZeRo and M2K's rivalry, and the likes of Mr. R and DtN entertaining with Sheik. Dabuz's matches were painful to watch, though, especially the one against Abadango, with it going to a timeout pretty much every time. All in all the wait for Melee finals was the worst part of it.

Overall Smash 4's Top 8 lasted around 4 hours, where as Melee's wrapped up in around 3. That's not a huge difference. But when you take into account that Melee is not only the more exciting fighting game at the moment but also has more recognizable faces and engaging personalities in contest, a cornerstone of any competitive scene or sport, the "outrage" last night, which wasn't the worst I've seen, has a far more justifiable context beyond Melee fans habitually hating on anything and everything that's not Melee.

Solution? I want to say organize future tournaments more appropriately, but Apex this year was unfortunately almost cancelled due to the weather. Otherwise, who knows, Smash 4 finals could've been received alot more positively. In general, I think Smash 4 shouldn't be forced into the program because of corporate sponsorship. Smash 4's development should come about in a more natural way from the community. That means starting from the bottom, though no one should act like that's where it belongs.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Why? What's the benefit in that? How does it make anything more fun or inclusive?
Because Melee and Smash 4 is never going to get along, simple as that. Very few people like me actually enjoy watching and playing both. So it's going to be the same deal at every future Smash event. If Smash 4 is on display, the mostly Melee crowd is going to disrespect it.

One unit is a lie and always has been. Melee and Smash 4/Brawl might as well belong to different game series entirely.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Matieo I'm gonna have to stop you there. Smash 4 actually ended SOONER and Melee wrapped up later. YOu got the two mixed around.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Melee and Smash 4 took around the same amount of time to finish overall. About 3 hours and 40 minutes for each. But Melee is played on 4 stocks, had a second set in GFs and had more sets go to game 5 so yeah...

Remember when people were bashing the Apex Staff for making Smash for 2 stocks instead of 3? Lol.

Last edited:

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
Because Melee and Smash 4 is never going to get along, simple as that. Very few people like me actually enjoy watching and playing both. So it's going to be the same deal at every future Smash event. If Smash 4 is on display, the mostly Melee crowd is going to disrespect it.

One unit is a lie and always has been. Melee and Smash 4/Brawl might as well belong to different game series entirely.
I'm not saying we need some phony bumper sticker or hashtag like "One Unit" or anything, but to separate Melee fans and Smash as a whole fans like we're angry fish that are going to eat each other to death, it seems stupid when Melee is "Super Smash Bros. Melee" and the other games are "Super Smash Bros. ______". They're different versions of the same game, regardless of speed.

There are so many game series with mainline entries that are much more dramatically different than Melee and even Brawl.

The benefit is that I'll stop heckling Smash 4.
Okay, so you're a heckler. I'm legitimately curious. Why does Smash 4 need heckling?

What I really want to know, is why do some people feel the need to be offended by other entries of Smash? What is it about the existence of a video game that offends you so much that you have to try to tear it down?

Last edited:
Top Bottom