• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Demo Impressions - Positives

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is reserved for discussing fun memories that one may have with the current Demos of Super Smash Bros. For 3DS & Wii U as well as suggestions for improvement.

Please remember that the games are still in development and are subject to change. For those with suggestions, seeking out the Nintendo Representative at each participating Best Buy may be a proper way to let your opinions be heard.

Rules:

1. Stay respectful of other peoples opinions.
2. Be constructive with your opinions. Needlessly ranting will potentially be subjected to trolling/flaming infractions.
3. Discussing Characters who are not confirmed shall be considered Off-Topic spam.
4. Each confirmed Character has their own Demo Impression thread within their respective Forum, so if you wish to discuss them at length we ask that you do so there.
5. The Report option is always there if you feel a fellow user is or could potentially cause trouble. Report them and then promptly ignore them.
6. If you have suggestions for the SWF Staff please use Forum Support.
7. There is a separate Negative Impression thread, so please separate your opinions based on the respective thread.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Overall, the game feels slightly faster and heavier than Brawl, but still floatier and slower than Melee. I feel like it's a nice balance, but it's difficult to tell at this point how it will translate to 1v1 itemless battles.

Oh, and it's gorgeous. Colors pop, the shading and lighting effects are a step up from the bloom lighting Brawl used, and at no point was there any sort of slow down or hiccup in the Wii U version. It's all extremely smooth. The 3DS XL version looked surprisingly beautiful, too. I was extremely impressed.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I think the game looks fun to play and I can't wait to get my hands on it this Saturday.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Didn't play it yet and I likely won't until the release (unless some kind of miracle happens), but from videos, it seems like a very fun game, like the other Smash games, mainly the original and Brawl. I really like how colorful it is and the stages so far are truly beautiful. My only concern is in regards of newcomers, but this is not a subject for this thread, I suppose. In short, I am really excited for Sm4sh, can't wait to put my hands on it.

Edit: Just saw this thread is specifically for the demo impressions. Never mind this post then.

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Looks sweet as ****. The "air slashing" or whatever effects make it looks like you're playing a movie. I played the 3DS version yesterday and then immediately walked over to watch people play the Wii U version, and the difference was stunning.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
It was a very fun demo. I really enjoyed the whole thing. I got to play as my top newcomers which were Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Both played much better in this demo. This one feels much better than Brawl IMO. It's right in between Melee and Brawl which is a great feeling. With only a few months to go I feel like they can improve on some of the flaws which I didn't even notice.

Last edited:

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I managed to get a ton of games in at my desolate Canadian Best Buy. I'll pre-face this by saying the game is awesome.

The level of "float" in the game vastly changes depending on what character you are playing as. While characters like Rosalina, Marth, Villager, and Kirby float around like in brawl, some of the more "polished" characters like Greninja, Mario, Sheik, ZSS, and Little Mac are much more appealing. They fall pretty quickly (especially with fast fall), their aerials are really satisfying to hit with, and lots of attacks link up like they should due to the hitstun. Like many others have said, Sheik is very similar to Melee sheik. F-tilt juggles into itself for a while, and it combos into stuff like Fair pretty nicely.

One thing that we really need to start exploring is the new ground options. Rolling is good. Running speed is good. You can do a metric ton of stuff out of pivots. The hitstun and some minor edits have made the "boxing" part of ground game (characters trading jabs and tilts) really interesting. It really depends on the characters, but I knew as Greninja (my personal favourite) the Pivot tilts, jabs, and other tricks really sped up the game. I don't want to go further than this (just in case I spread misinformation) but you guys get the idea.

This game has a lot to offer, but you have to approach it differently than the past games. One thing I will tell each and every one of you is that you should get the game in your hands and try it before you start calling it Brawl 2.0 or anything like that.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
Personally the more I see this game, the more I notice that it really is a whole different game. I definitely think we should wait before commenting on the game as a whole. I'm not well versed in the competitive scene yet, just getting into it. But I do feel that some things could be a bit different. (more the aerials not stalling as much), dash dancing would be nice, but if it's not in the game still looks amazing otherwise. I played the demo a bit and it's quite good imo even without all of the melee movement that everyone's used to. Definitely could feel like the middle of the road between the two when this game finally releases. ^^

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Specifically about the 3DS, since that's apparently not deserving of it's own topic I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it felt. The default control scheme felt a bit unnatural, but if I can switch stuff up it'll be great. Looked great too, and though I could only try it out on XL, I honestly think 3D (which in my experience is better on the OG model than the XL's) will be enough to make the characters stand out.

Smash Run also seems just about as fun as they keep trying to convince us it is. Even playing against CPU's I enjoyed the craziness of not ever knowing what was coming up, and the two times that I played it felt very very different.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Question: Did anybody get to see an assist trophy of a guy wearing black, with a sword about as long as his body that flared out at the end? I didn't recognize this guy, but someone in line told me the character was from Xenoblade and I just o_o;

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
Well. got to the store at opening and waited until the event started at 4pm. Glad I did, because the Nintendo reps that planned it were delusional to think that a single location in the Los Angeles area would be enough. Not kidding, there was probably over 1000 people waiting to play at the Chino Hills CA location.

So onward to my impressions:

It does feel in-between brawl and melee. Overall, it's much faster than Brawl, without having that same almost loose feel that melee does. The speed is a little bit less, but gravity feels like it's much heavier than it was in melee and I think it balances out a little bit.

I got two actual rounds in on the Wii-U version. and the only option was to play with a Wii-U Pro controller. The controller functioned fine, placing Guard/Roll/Dodge on one shoulder button and grab on the other, in a combination i can't quite remember. But it was foreign enough that despite not using it at all in my first round, I was using it fine in my second.

Visually the game looks much better than Brawl did. The frame rate didn't choke or struggle at any point, but there was so many bright colors and events on screen at once that I started to really lose track of what was actually happening on the stage at any given time, but I'm prepared to say that was probably a fault of the numerous new items constantly floating about.

I got to play WFT, Greninja, and Lil Mac. WFT trainer feels like a medium weight class character, Greninja feels very shiek-like but floats a bit more, and Lil Mac is a bit of an awkward feeling character that throws his weight around so much that he feels heavy.

Overall, extremely satisfied with the game and I pre-ordered both versions already. (Although the bundle version that includes the adapted and GCN controller wasn't yet available as it was just announced, Best Buy told me they could most likely modify my pre-order within a month or so once they actually get the skew for the bundle). I only played the one set and left, because despite being one of the first 15 or so people to play, there was no way I would've gotten another chance by starting over at the back. I doubt everyone that got in line actually had enough time to play.

Question: Did anybody get to see an assist trophy of a guy wearing black, with a sword about as long as his body that flared out at the end? I didn't recognize this guy, but someone in line told me the character was from Xenoblade and I just o_o;
Pretty sure that is Magus, he just appeared on the Treehouse stream today. I personally pulled a Dark Samus from an AT.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Like @ CosmicKirby CosmicKirby said, that's Magnus:

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I just missed the last topic closing, so I've still got my character impressions. I'll spoilertag them though.

-The DS demo had a few different characters available. Sheik, Toon Link, Yoshi, Luigi (and I think Diddy) were exclusively DS, and some others were exclusively U. Make sure you play both versions!

Villager
-Lloyd Rocket will climb hills without crashing! Haven't tried it going down hills but I'd expect it to just go forward.
-Dsmash (shovel) hits in front then behind, like Link's. It's fairly fast.
-Jab combo is the boxing gloves. Ftilt swings something (I forgot what), about a character-length in front. Utlit waves a wand over his head.
-He doesn't seem to have a lot of attacks that scream "range", but fair/bair go about half of Battlefield.

Sheik
-First off, she has a new uair that hits 4 times! They're all upkicks but they hit like Snake's nair, with the last hit being the launcher. It feels really satisfying to hit with.
-Fwd-B (Burst Grenade) tosses a nade on a string forward a medium distance, up to eye-level and back down. She pulls the string and it explodes. Need to figure out if there's more to it than that! Not sure if she can move during the move, change the angle, cook it or toss it off ledges.
-Down-B (Bouncing Fish) is a flip kick that goes forward a medium distance. Didn't try recovering with it but I bet it would be a good mixup.
-Overall Sheik was a lot of fun to play as. Make sure you try her when you get the chance!

Pit
-His final smash (3 Sacred Treasures) freezes him in place but you can fire a variety of projectiles. Thankfully he does not enter freefall afterwards.
-Up-B (Power of Flight) is a powerful jump that goes really far, quickly. It's slightly angled forward like Mario's.

What was DK's final smash? I got really close to seeing it but someone else got the ball.

...So I went through my line about 7 times in 3 hours and played Smash Run 5 times. Guess the C-ville VA line wasn't that long! Had a ton of fun chatting up the other players in line, joking, speculating and marveling at the new stuff. I even told a guy about a local monthly going on and he can't wait to ltp Melee better and get better in his own group. All in all (despite the thunderstorm and 1.5 hour drive) I had a blast.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
What was DK's final smash? I got really close to seeing it but someone else got the ball.
It's the same as Brawl but with a meter for timing, similar to in the actual Donkey Konga games.

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
That would be Magnus from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
One of the few things I like about this game competitively

RECOIL SPECIALS ARE RETURNING! Tested on Mega Man. Was able to reverse Leaf Shield and Metal Blade. Wasn't able to test out other aerials.

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
It's the same as Brawl but with a meter for timing, similar to in the actual Donkey Konga games.
Wow, that would've been really cool to see. My main complaint with that move was not having a meter! Now I'm not even mad they didn't go with his finisher from DKCR.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Pro Tip: DON'T JUMP AS LITTLE MAC UNLESS YOU ARE RECOVERING!

In all seriousness I played Little Mac and Greninja. I tried Greninja first on Wily Castle and it was mayhem the Yellow Devil is very damaging if you just ignore him. Greninja is fast and very combo happy was able to do a few combos off his D-air into another areail move. He felt fun also need to master his side B a bit better. The lag off the side b is very long, short when not charged, and shouldn't be used as recovery unless charged it up. His Up-B is very good and multi-directional recovery for about 1 second. His Water Shuriken is very good as well and can KO especially at the end of the charged up one. His counter is interesting as when you counter the substitute or log remains on the field as an item. Not sure if you can pick up. Also the counter is different if used in air or on ground. Greninjas moves were all solid and have good damage and knock back. I was overall satisfied with Greninja and can't wait to practice him some more..

Dang that was long now onto Little Mac.

Little Mac I learned the hard way is to not jump, not to fight in the air mind you just the simple act of jumping is suicidal. You are literally a sitting duck in the air just don't do it. Though on the ground OMG he is great just as advertised. All his smash attacks powerful/unstoppable. Though his reach is a bit short (he he) they are great when they land. Also the KO mechanic I think (so far) is ok. The bar takes quite a while to charge and the hit itself is short but oh so satisfying when it connects. Also two things that make it balanced: if Little Mac dies at any time he loses it all and the KO punch at a VERY low percent will not kill but has high percent, so it's fair in that regard.

The game itself though I find it hard to kill people at high percents in most cases. Not sure how I feel about that but it makes some mechanics (like Lucario/Little Mac) more viable in fights. I had to use a pro controller so it felt weird so I can't talk about feel. The game is faster and I can't wait to play it in full game this October and Winter.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
The game was very pretty and ran perfectly smooth on both versions, bar 3ds local play. The 3DS controls were very comfortable. Had no issue jumping right into it with Greninja, who I hadn't played before hand. Still hoping for Circle Pad Pro support though.

Playing with Wii U Pro controller was also very comfortable bar the right stick placement. Never hit the wrong face button or anything. Though I've been playing with a Wii classic controller so I guess I've had practice.

Up specials didn't seem to cancel automatically near ledges and based on videos there seems to be a window for it depending on the move your using. So it looks like a mix of Melee and Brawl and as long as it's not like Brawl's entirely I'm fine with that.

The game definitely felt faster than Brawl, but can't really say how fast in comparison to Melee or Project M.

Finally, no tripping of course :)

D

Deleted member 245254

Game looks gorgeous. The speed is a perfect medium between melee and brawl, not too break-neck, but not too clunky.

Contact feels like it has impact, character connects feel visceral.

I'm so excited to play this competitively.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Huh, so it's probably still best used as an edgeguard.

Oh, something else I haven't seen mentioned: when a really strong hit connects, there's a horizontal slash of lightning on the screen.
Yeah Sakurai mentioned that in a Potd last year basically saying when you see that it means your in trouble and may be KO'd soon by a strong hit.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Yeah Sakurai mentioned that in a Potd last year basically saying when you see that it means your in trouble and may be KO'd soon by a strong hit.
Huh, I forgot about that. It looks pretty awesome in person! I wonder if it's just for characters, or if it'll make an appearance in the Homerun Contest as well.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Visuals are great.
Animations are fuild and impressive.
Lil Mac plays great
Slightly Faster than brawl.
Menus look nice.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
The 3DS version is very fluid, even with the 3D on. No clips on the internet does it justice, you ahve to actually see it.
The game might have combos if SDI is toned down. Which is a good thing? (Overall, as much as I value DI, I also enjoy playing 64 a lot, it's just different not necessarily objectively worse.) It moves like Brawl, but whenever you get out of neutral, I feel like the game feels better and tighter, if that makes any sense.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
No more tripping!!
The new ledge mechanic brings an exciting new ledge game.
Running off of the edge puts you into a tumble animation (nice small touch)
Wii Fit Trainer is the best addition ever.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Villager actually seems more viable than most original impressions!
Greninja's moves are very quick and close and his best killing move is Substitute!
Mega Man is very strong and every move feels viable!
Little Mac's air games isn't as weak as Sakurai said, also his Up B is very powerful and all his Smash Attacks are quick and punishing!
Bowser seems surprisingly quick and strong now with high knockback on most of his moves!
Grab attacks feel more powerful than in previous iterations of Smash
HD + 60fps= Happiness

infomon

Smash Scientist
The most amazing thing that's been revealed is custom movesets.

It is a major change that will make this game waaayy more fun. I'm pretty convinced it will be tournament-appropriate and awesome. Each character has 3^4 = 81 variations, if not more (miis). That's incredible. We each have our own characters with our own fighting styles; even if they're minor variations, it will still be an important dynamic. Counterpicking will be crazy!!

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
My experience this time around was awesome! I got there an hour early and the waiting time totaled up to about an hour and a half. The event was much more organized than last time and the rep was friendly and open to questions. Got to play as Greninj, shiny Greninj at that, and pulled second!

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Link is faster. His Jump Slash is a massive improvement as well.
Game runs super smooth. It's super hectic too. Moreso than any Smash I can remember. It definitely doesn't feel 'all there yet.' The 3DS version felt there to me, or at least closer to it.
Zero Suit Samus got buffed, maybe a bit too much though.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I just got back from the demo an hour or two ago. I'll post the video later, but here are my impressions:

-Bowser is awesome
-The visuals are vibrant and stunning
-Gameplay seems...uneven. Some things are super strong and some things not so much.

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
You can charge smashes with the C-Stick. A very small feature, but one that I always thought should have been in from the beginning!

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
3DS:
-I didn't play VS mode, rather Smash Run.
-Smash Run was pretty fun as Mega Man and Villager. I didn't like playing as Bowser very much.
-Mega Man turned out to be a surprisingly better character than I had thought. I wasn't worried too much, he just exceeded my expectations. Had to get used to him though.
-Villager was interesting. Balloon Trip (Up-B) didn't give as much height as I thought it did, though.
-The game was faster than Brawl.

Wii U:
-I only played as Little Mac. I liked him but I don't feel like I'll be maining him since his play style is very different than what I'm used to.
-Wii U Pro controller wasn't garbage, surprisingly. I didn't have a huge issue with it since I could still readily press both A and B if I wanted to.
-Mac's A-moves were pretty great. Neutral Special was hard to release on time. There was this weird delay that happened when you released the button. Side-B was pretty unique, especially since it doesn't auto-hit and you have to time it. Up-B was garbage but I think I used it wrong. Counter is good. I jumped in the midst of a fight between Kirby and Greninja and countered both of their sorry asses into oblivion. Fun. I could never land the K.O. punch so I have yet to see it annihilate someone.
-Coliseum is beautiful. Fun stage too, since there's very few hazards and a few moving platforms.
-Kirby was pretty strong. Enjoyed fighting him.
-The game played very smoothly, and at the perfect speed. Almost as fast as Melee, but not quite. Definitely not Brawl slow.
-The game looks gorgeous.
-The added effects to character attacks (visually 'cutting' through the air) were great.
-THEY BROUGHT BACK THE N64 CHARACTER SELECT MUSIC AS THE RESULTS SCREEN THEME.

The game froze ten minutes before they were shutting it down so I only got to play one round on Wii U. I got to try Mario Kart 8 though.

On the bright side, some guy gave me a King Dedede eraser. Neato.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Because I'm a big fan of video game music, I must say I am really happy for the song choices for the Fire Emblem stages. Id (Purpose) is such a memorable song and The Devoted is one of my favorite battle themes the series.

The gameplay looks kinda wonky, but it's a beta version, so it's understandable that adjustments are still necessary. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game. The gameplay changes will certainly offer an experience distinct from the previous games.

Top Bottom