• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Loved the direct i was a bit disappointed with Ridley being a boss,Other than that i loved it,Cant wait till summer for the 3DS version to released.

Last edited:

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
View attachment 11717

Watching the trailer again, I noticed that the Kalos Pokemon League is indeed a stage for the WiiU version! Well, at least Drasna's Room.

I also saw the main lobby.

----
Now that I see your still shot, that makes a whole lot of sense. Perhaps the stage switches between the different rooms with the sort of elevator/teleporter effects present in-game.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Sure, but keep this in mind:

1) We have yet to see Diddy in a picture or video where 4 Brawlers are present. There have been others with 4 present.
2) We haven't seen his side special in action yet. Maybe his side-special has something to do with Dixie (a high-five tag-in, a la DKC2), who knows. Just saying, it's still not out of the question.
Stop.
Swap-out characters were disconfirmed.
DDDX is dead.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Let's put it this way: we have solo Charizard, coming right off of Sakurai discussing the changes in transforming characters, a new Water-type Pokémon that is one of the starting trio for Pokémon X/Y. There really isn't a lot of encouraging signs he's coming back. Or do you really think he'd trump Jigglypuff and or Mewtwo? I just don't see that happening. Granted, I'd gladly trade Squirtle for Jigglypuff.
I make no claims as to their inclusion. But these are just assumptions. But I consider the lack of their appearance in the trailer to be a non-issue. In the time between the announcement of Shiek and the debut of Charizard what were your thoughts? were they, oh, well, I guess if they show any of PT's Pokemon they will show them all? did anyone expect Sakurai to do that?

ZealRed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZealRed
3DS FC
5026-4454-7119
I believe it's where you fought the Champion in X and Y
It seems there will a shared Pokemon stage for 3DS and Wii U(seems like Pokemon Stadium will get replaced) because if you look before on the footage, there is a brief part where Greninja is battling at the place where you battle Drasna in X/Y(the dragon statue gives it away) seems to be a transition stage.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Something I noticed about Jungle Japes is that when Fox fell into the water, he was thrown off the stage with no sign of swimming whatsoever. Perhaps it's gone this time around?

1:00
Thats balloon fight stage

Of course you can't swim in the water on balloon fight stage

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Just reading about the Direct doesn't do it justice. From just the info I heard, I hated the Direct. But then I decided to actually watch it. And I was much happier with what I SAW as opposed to what I HEARD. Sakurai's team is totally watching the fans to some extent. I believe that. But here's what I liked:

The Good:
  • The game looks good and fast. Huzzah. Here's hoping it feels that way.
  • All of the vets returning look great. Beautiful even. Yoshi buff?
  • The lost of Forme's is AMAZING to me. And ZSS looks even better then she did in Brawl to me. Now I can play Samus and ZSS. And I plan to play both now that they aren't attached at the hip.
  • The changes to some people's movesets. Most of them are needed. And some are buffed/nerfed where it was needed. Yay. :)
  • Greninja looks cool. I'll probably give him a play. It does the Ninja motif much better then Shiek does. Heh.
  • I liked seeing all the new Final Smashes. I especially like Megaman's. Go X and Megaman EXE.
  • Movement Customization done right for online play. Competitive players can't ruin the fun.
  • Fight for Fun and Fight for Glory. Good move. So is most stages having a Final D version. Not bad. Not bad at all.
  • 60 FPS for the 3DS? Color me impressed. Pokemon couldn't pull that off. ^__^
  • Assist trophies. Cool.
  • Items. All cool on this front.
  • Master Balls as a rare Poke Ball item... also brilliant!
The Meh:
  • Wii U version's release is second. I don't mind because we'll know the roster by the time the Wii U version comes out. But this totally sets up the 3DS version to be the money maker. That's bad for Wii U fans but good for 3DS fans.
  • More info needed on Movement Customization. I got a hunch THIS might be how they get you to get both Smash games.
  • Fight for Glory. Lol. No items. And Final Destination. Final Destination Everywhere. Now this isn't bad at all! But really? The name? Now that Meme will never die.
The "Bad":
  • More cut characters. Someone has gotten cut from Brawl. No way Squirtle & Ivysaur are coming back solo. Now I am not big fans of the guys, but my motto is no cut characters. And 2 unique guys just got cut. (Again, not set in stone... but now a snowball's chance in Hell.)
  • Greninja's inclusion possibly nixes Mewtwo's return. Not totally confirmed but even more likely now. And Mewtwo's return is all I really wanted from Smash 4. Personal preference, I am aware.
The Speculation:
  • Ridley. Yeah. The Sakurai trolling is way beyond real. But I mean, could you do his job and not develop some sense of humor? That aside... just let the fans know. They deserve to be able to rest knowing if he's in or out. But him NOT showing Ridley... sketchy as hell.
  • Platuena. Most likely in. Pit's new FS... the statue of Psuedo-Platuena and the leaked pic of Platuena that was never "deconfirmed"... so yeah. She's most likely in.
  • The biggest point I'd like to make. I think we have what is pretty much (at least 85%) the game's starting roster. All of these guys could be starters when you get the game. All of the other releases will most likely be secret characters until the 3DS version is released. Jigglypuff, Ness and C.Falcon who aren't mentioned yet are most likely secret guys... as well as either Ness or Lucas... any other newcomers and vets who may return. Guys like the other Star Fox franchise reps... the other FE Rep... Ganondorf... they're all usually secret characters. Throw in that Meta Knight and Wario are also most likely to return... and we only have about 3 characters left until 3DS release.
So those are my thoughts. On a scale of 1 to 10 with the higher being the better, this Nintendo Direct is an easy 9. Perfect for a fan game like this is hard... but we got nothing but good news, nothing major was really "deconfirmed" as set in stone aside from the 3DS coming out first. So after a day, most people will be happy with the direct. We didn't get no delay either... though that only makes me wonder more what the duck Siliconera was on about with that Smash 6 and 2015.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Okay. So now that I'm getting past my initial hysteria and becoming more optimistic again, I can discuss the other parts of the direct.

I'm pretty sure Palutena and K. Rool are in. I don't have an opinion on Palutena one way or another (though I feel that there are more franchises that deserve two spots than Kid Icarus... Not counting Samus and Zamus as different in this context) but I'd be really stoked for K. Rool. The Kremlings really make me feel like he's playable.

I don't think Ridley is making it. I'd like to see him in it but...

The multiple final destination thing is really baller. While I generally am not a competitive smasher and am fine with stage hazards, intense ones like the Yellow Devil just kinda get in the way. I'm glad to see that we can enjoy the stage without that.

I'm also very glad about the City Trial mode. It was the best part of Air Ride bar none and I'm stoked to see it in Smash. I was already planning on getting both versions anyway so this works out (Though I wish both were releasing simultaneously).

Glad to see the music choices are returning.

Greninja looks good, playstyle wise. Though his model looks somewhat unfinished though maybe I'm just biased because he's now synonymous with pain and anguish in my life as of two hours ago. The detail on that substitute plushie is just beautiful though. This game is going to be gorgeous.

The new items look pretty legit. I like the idea of the jetpack one a lot. Gogoat as well.

...Something is really making me feel like we'll see a non-Mii Pilotwings character. It's really weird but it's just kinda hitting me that way, like Goose or something. Maybe not Goose since he's so America-y but someone.

I really foresee the next character reveal being Meta Knight. I feel it in my bones.

I'm getting off topic. Online mode looks good, cautiously optimistic for it to be better than Brawl's.

etc etc

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
As a final comment for today: the Bombchu item reveal was the first time I was really hyped for an item.

Man this direct was amazing.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Thats balloon fight stage

Of course you can't swim in the water on balloon fight stage
It's a 1 second difference, but if you want to be all specific it's at 1:01. Lets take it an extra step and say 1:01.50 :p

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Did anyone else notice (Or at least think) that Sakurai had a problem doing the whole arm motion for the "Direct" part? It made me feel sad inside.....
Oh look! Powered-up Yoshi!!!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I make no claims as to their inclusion. But these are just assumptions. But I consider the lack of their appearance in the trailer to be a non-issue. In the time between the announcement of Shiek and the debut of Charizard what were your thoughts? were they, oh, well, I guess if they show any of PT's Pokemon they will show them all? did anyone expect Sakurai to do that?
The very fact that we have a solo Charizard and no Pokémon Trainer and gang in sight is very much an issue. There's nothing to say that Squirtle and Ivysaur cannot be playable on their own, but with two other veterans vying for development time too, something has to give unless Sakurai just decides to give us seven playable Pokémon (which could happen).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I loved the entire direct, except for Ridley and the Pokemon traiker at the end. Greninja looks alright, but I'm not a a fan of the franchise and I was hyping myself up for someone I really wanted like Palutena or Shulk. Made the entire thing end on s sour note for me, but I'm over it now.... all the game modes and stages look amazing.

I'm also kind of hoping Marth has a Roy alt costume with changed voice and icon effects, and that custom moves will let you basically change Marth into Roy.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
This direct was crazy. I know I'm gonna sound like a brat right now, but it kinda got a little disappointing when Charizard was revealed. I don't know why I was expecting PKMN trainer, since he said there would be no transformation characters, but I think we all know that Squirtle and Ivysaur won't return, with Greninja being the Water rep, and Ivysaur probably being replaced by a final evolution of a grass starter (if they even replace Ivysaur, since the only grass starter I can think of working is Treeko's final evolution). It just kinda sucks since the two characters that I really wanted to return were PKMN trainer (for squirtle) and Snake, and both are looking pretty unlikely.

Everything else was incredible though. Seriously, 3DS version running at 60 fps in 3D, and being released in the Summer? Plus, the new modes, Yoshi, Shiek, and ZSS' reveal, and even though I like the first gen starters, Greninja is probably the best replacement for Squirtle (and will probably be better than Squirtle). Plus, its great to see 40 minutes of gameplay.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Here's a pretty extensive summary and analysis I constructed. Unfortunately for me I had made it before I saw the post on the front of Smashboards, but nonetheless it should cover just about everything except for Greninja:

- Release dates confirmed. 3DS version Summer 2014/WiiU version Winter 2014

- 3DS version confirmed to run at 60 FPS even in full 3D. Characters and stages run at 60, whilst additional elements such as ATs and Pokeballs run at 30.

- 3DS gets 2 musical tracks per stage (sort of like Melee). WiiU gets the MyMusic option from Brawl.

- New 3DS stages:

Balloon Fight (a 2D stage with various platforms and flippers similar in look to 75m or Mario Bros in Brawl)

Jungle Japes (returning from Melee/Brawl)

- New WiiU stages:

Palutena's Temple (a very large stage not too dissimilar to Hyrule Temple from Melee split into various sections)

Halberd (returning from Brawl)

Final Destination (most similar to the Brawl FD but with a crazy almost new background and general motif)

- Additional stage info:

Reset Bomb Forest - as the reset bomb goes off the stage collapses into a new structure

Spirit Train - Scrolling stage in a very similar vain to Big Blue from Melee. If you fall off the train onto the ground you will drop back

Gerudo Valley - Bridge in the centre can be split if attacked. The Twinrova sisters also come to attack with fire and ice on the edges of the stage.

Arena Ferox - Shape shifting stage. Various platform elements rise out the ground as the time goes on (kind of like Pokemon Stadium).

Pyrosphere - Ridley/Meta Ridley sneakily confirmed as a stage hazard. We've no idea of his function or even what he'll look like due to only seeing his shadow, but it's definitely Ridley or Meta Ridley.

Wily's Castle - Yellow Devil appears from the background to attack fighters. It can only be hurt by attacking its eye but the player who defeats him is awarded with an explosion that damages all the other fighters.

- Online multiplayer featured in both versions of the game

- WiiU version introduces 2 key modes of online play: For Fun and For Glory.

- In For Fun mode, stages are random (not including Final Destination), all items are on and the only data recorded is the victory count (so no win/loss ratio).

- In For Glory mode, only stage is Final Destination, there are no items, 1 v 1 battles are possible and both wins and losses are recorded.

- To compliment this, there are now Final Destination versions of every stage

- Confirmation of scoring competition called Global Smash Power. This gives players certain scores depending on how they've scored on Solo modes.

- New Items:

Beam Sword (returns with a fresh new design)

Smart Bomb (returns same as before)

POW Block (launches foes when hit on when thrown into the ground)

Fire Bar (a beam sword like fire weapon that reduces in reach for each attack you do)

Back Shield (protects yo ass from cheap shots)

Bombchu (a bomb able to scurry along floors, walls and ceilings)

Rocket Belt (allows flight much like ROB's Up B in Brawl, presumably has a set amount of fuel)

- Additional Item info:

Ore Club (forms tornadoes when using Smash attacks)

X Bomb (the X shaped explosion formed attacks both diagonally and horizontally/vertically and looks to slowly rotate as well)

Hocatate Bomb (rises up and drags foes up before crashing down and exploding)

Steel Diver (releases a small torpedo not unlike Samus' Super Missile)

- New Assist Trophies:

Devil (returning with the same function)

Knuckle Joe (returning with the same function)

Saki Amamiya (returning with the same function)

Lyn (returning with the same function)

Dr Wright (returning with the same function)

Midna (can teleport and attack with the hand that emerges from her head)

Dark Samus (uses various attacks such as a rapid fire Phazon shot and Phazon tentacles that emerge in the ground around her)

Chain Chomp (looks at the nearest fighter and tries to chomp at them)

Elec Man (runs around and uses his Thunder Beam attack)

Color TV-Game 15 (Pong. Need I say more?)

- Additional Assist Trophy info:

Skull Kid (flips the screen much like Palkia in Spear Pillar in Brawl)

Ashley (creates a purple cloud of energy that causes negative effects on fighters such as being slowed down)

Isabelle (produces various food items that presumably heal whoever summoned her even whilst they're being attacked/are attacking)

- Pokeball/Pokemon info:

The Master Ball is now a new rare type of Pokeball that contains exclusively powerful legendary Pokemon such as Arceus

Arceus (periodically releases a Judgment shockwave able to meteor smash foes)

Meowth (returning with same function)

Electrode (returning with same function)

Eevee (runs into foes and tackles them whilst looking adorable)

Staryu (returning with same function)

Metagross (returning with same function)

Fennekin (shoots small fireball projectiles that form multi-hit fire pillars [think Ness' PK Fire])

Meloetta (shoots musical note sphere projectiles able to bounce off surfaces)

Gogoat (charges forward, but most interestingly fighters are able to stand on top of it)

Deoxys-A (returning with same function)

Palkia (slashes with Spacial Rend, twisting the screen upside down)

Kyurem (releases a horizontal Blizzard that freezes foes)

Victini (appears, produces a star graphic and leaves. Likely to be similar to Mew/Jirachi/Celebi from Brawl where it drops goodies)

Keldeo-R (slashes foes in an arc with its Sacred Sword attack)

Xerneas (uses its Geomancy. Effects unknown as of now)

- Revealed Fighters Info/Observations:

Samus - several new attack animations to better fit her Other M aesthetic such as Super Missile, FTilt and BAir. Her Final Smash, Zero Laser, is now a full screen beam like Lucario's was in Brawl however it does not make her transform into ZSS.

Zelda - can no longer transform into Sheik. As a result her Down B has now been replaced with the Phantom Slash. This summons a Phantom to slash the opponents upwards. The Phantom also has its own hurtbox and as a result is able to absorb an attack/s. However, they can be reflected

Kirby - Side B now revamped. Can be charged much like Dedede's Down B to produce a powerful fiery hammer attack known as the Hammer Flip. Again like Dedede Kirby is able to walk and jump whilst charging this. Also has a new Final Smash, the Ultra Sword from Kirby Returns to Dreamland. Kirby pulls out a giant sword and when it makes contact Kirby unleashes a powerful sword combo (similar to Ike's FS Great Aether but it doesn't move the foe to the top of the screen).

Dedede - Side B is now changed to strictly the Gordo which he now hits with his hammer as opposed to throwing them. They're stronger than the Waddle Dees in Brawl but not as strong as the Brawl Gordos. Additionally they bounce off of foes as opposed to disappearing on contact. These can also be hit fairly quickly, however opponents can kick the Gordos back to Dedede and hurt him.

Lucario - Now has his Mega Evolution (presumably as a Final Smash) which transforms him such that his attacks are always at his maximum power for the duration of the transformation.

Olimar - Can now only hold 3 Pikmin at a time, however the Pikmin appear in a set order (Red > Blue > Yellow > White > Purple). This allows players to better micro manage the Pikmin, however also means that Olimar must be more careful with how he uses them. Additionally his Up B has been changed to the Winged Pikmin. These are able to carry Olimar and his Pikmin upwards, however the more Pikmin he has the less far it goes, so Olimar may at times need to sacrifice is Pikmin to get back onto the stage.

Pit - No longer has his gliding mechanic. Pit has various brand new attacking animations (pretty much all of them have been either revamped or are brand new attacks entirely). His Up B has been changed to the Power of Flight, a presumably multidirectional glide. Pit's Neutral B arrows also no longer have infinite range. His new Final Smash is the Three Sacred Treasures, allowing him to fire off a barrage of various projectiles.

Bowser - Now has a stall and fall DAir where he drops down with his shell facing downwards. Generally seems faster (his aerial mobility and dodges all seem faster for example) and is packed with new attacks and animations.

Link - New backwards flip dodge more similar to how he dodges back in the 3D LoZ games, as well as his signature jumping slash as his new Dash Attack. A couple of other attack animations were adjusted as well, such as his UAir.

DK - Adjusted Side B and Up B animations. Up B most notably on the ground is angled slightly forward. He also does some kind of roll at the end, though it doesn't have the graphics of an attack nor the invincibility of a dodge.

Diddy Kong - New UTilt/USmash uppercut attack.

Marth - A few adjusted animations and attacks, most notably his Side B Dancing Blade animations have been changed. His sword trail is also more fabulous...

Sonic - His DAir is now a meteor smash (at least at the start of the kick).

Rosalina and Luma - Rosalina can send off her Luma at varying distances with Luma Shot (assuming Neutral B). When the Luma is sent out it wanders on its own but Rosalina is able to control its attacks. Confirmed Star Bits Side B, which causes the Luma to fire an array of small short range Star Bit projectiles. Confirmed Launch Star Up B, which travels a long distance in an arc. Confirmed Gravitational Pull Down B, which attracts items in towards her and nullifies various projectiles.

Little Mac - Mac's ground attacks are both fast and powerful. His DTilt is a quick low jab which is able to launch opponents with low knockback. Has low endlag so is ideal for follow-ups. Very powerful Smash attacks ideal for scoring kills. DSmash animation show as two low hooks that hit either side of Mac. However he's very weak in the air, such that the damage/knockback of his aerials is actually weaker than his ground attacks. His Power Metre is charged by landing and receiving damage. Confirmed Straight Lunge Neutral B which lunges forward and can be charged for additional power and distance. This transforms into the K.O. Uppercut when Mac's Power Metre is full. Confirmed Jolt Haymaker Side B where Mac leaps forward with an arcing punch that has startup invulnerability for approaches. Confirmed Rising Uppercut Side B, which whilst rather poor in terms of recovery is powerful in terms of knockback and damage. Confirmed Slip Counter Down B which functions as a pretty conventional counter. Final Smash Giga Mac which transforms him presumably into a stronger but slower version of himself. Finally, he also has the classic Wireframe version of himself from the original arcade version of Punch Out!!

Villager - Confirmed names for all specials: Pocket (Neutral B where he pockets an item or projectile for later use), Lloid Rocket (Side B where he is able to fly on the back of a Lloid Rocket as well as launch it independently), Balloon Trip (Up B where he can fly up high with balloons with good maneuverability but the balloons can be popped) and Timber (Down B where he plants a seed into the ground, waters it into a tree and then is able to cut it down for a powerful attack). Confirmed Dream Home Final Smash, however where a house is built for the Villager only for it to blow up short thereafter (presumably because Villager couldn't handle the debt bestowed upon him by that ass Tom Nook).

Megaman - All attacks confirmed with names and games to match. Jab/FTilt/NAir: Mega Buster (1). DTilt: Sliding (3). UTilt: Mega Upper (MvC). Dash Attack: Top Spin (3/Top Man). FSmash: Charge Shot (4). USmash: Spark Shock (3/Spark Man). DSmash: Flame Burst (6/Flame Man). FAir: Flame Sword (8/Sword Man). BAir: Slash Claw (7/Slash Man). UAir: Air Shooter (2/Air Man). DAir: Hard Knuckle (3/Hard Man). Grab/Throws: Super Arm (1/Guts Man). Neutral B: Metal Blade (2/Metal Man). Side B: Crash Bomber (2/Crash Man). Up B: Rush Coil (3). Down B: Leaf Shield (2/Wood Man). Confirmed Co Stars Final Smash where all the other Megamans (X, EXE, Starforce and Volnutt) appear alongside Classic for a powerful combined attack.

Wii Fit Trainer - Confirmed Deep Breathing Down B which takes a second to charge but afterwards briefly increases the power of her attacks. For how long however remains unknown and presumably requires some kind of timing and input as the Male one is shown failing the move. Confirmed Sun Salutation Neutral B, a light based projectile attack that can be charged and stored. Like other chargeable projectiles it can be cancelled into shield or roll. Male version confirmed for alternate costume.

- Special moves can now be customised for custom movesets. To the extent is unknown and this feature is only available in local play.

- Revealed Smash Run mode exclusive to 3DS version. In short, this mode is very similar to the Kirby Air Ride City Trail, where up to 4 players collect items to power themselves up in a dungeon like map featuring a plethora of enemies ranging from Nintendo titles and the Subspace Emissary from Brawl within a time limit of 5 minutes. They can power up in movement speed, jump height, attack power, special attack power, item and projectile power and resistance to being knocked away (presumably weight). When the time runs out the powered up fighters proceed to battle. Even includes certain events much like City Trail that pop up from time to time during the time limit.

- NEW REVEALED CHARACTERS

Zero Suit Samus - returns from Brawl looking fiiiiiine. Most notable new feature is her new jet boots, allowing her to hit harder than ever whilst retaining her speed and mobility. As a result various animations have been remade to offer a greater sense of strength and power (such as FAir and BAir). She also looks to have a new Up B attack that's an upward sky kick as opposed to her whip that helps to improve her overall recovery. This can be followed up with an additional kick.

Sheik - returns from Brawl with polished attack animations that looks swifter and stronger. Most notably however are her two new special moves, the Side B Burst Grenade and the Down B Bouncing Fish. The Burst Grenade is a short reach grenade that explode when the pin is released (presumably requiring an input to do so). The Bouncing Fish is an acrobatic flip kick able to bounce off of foes that could also possibly be used to assist recovery.
Yoshi - returns from Brawl even more adorable. Adopts a more upright posture to reflect more recent games. His jab combo has been reanimated (the second kick is now a roundhouse as opposed to a front kick). BAir now only deals three hits (as opposed to 4 in Melee and Brawl) and the final hit is stronger. Generally looks like he has more reach on a number of his attacks.
Charizard - the semi-newcomer. No longer tied to his trainer and now roaming the world by himself. The most immediate and obvious change (apart from being a solo character) is his new Mega Evolution Mega Charizard X, which one could assume to be his Final Smash that powers him up in some kind of way (the only notable thing we see is flight). He also has a new slashing FAir attack, a new BThrow animation and a horizontal fiery charging attack. This could be one of two things: 1) His Up B can now be aimed sideways or 2) He has a new Side B in the form of Flare Blitz (or something along those lines). We also know he no longer as his glide as he did in Brawl so this cannot be a glide attack.
GRENINJA *NEWCOMER* - ....I plan to save Greninja's analysis for another time. He requires a much larger one and deserves his own like I've done with the other newcomers, therefore I'll reserve him for a separate post and a video at a later stage.

WOW that took long. The hype is SO REAL RIGHT NOW!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Sheik - returns from Brawl with polished attack animations that looks swifter and stronger. Most notably however are her two new special moves, the Side B Burst Grenade and the Down B Bouncing Fish. The Burst Grenade is a short reach grenade that explode when the pin is released (presumably requiring an input to do so). The Bouncing Fish is an acrobatic flip kick able to bounce off of foes that could also possibly be used to assist recovery.
Where are you getting the directions from? I don't mind having a usable Side-B and two mobility moves, but did he say the directions of each?

Edit: Also, great job on the list!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok I'm SUPER late but I was literally speechless. It wasn’t good; it was AMAZING. I'll try to breakdown the highlights.

3ds coming in summer good but unexpected considering the wiiu is released after
good new stages

ridley more likely to be an hazard but idk about you it's so weird the way he said it why not showing him directly? like I'm not persistent but it justs look so weird yes we see ridley when he was talking about hazards but we only saw the shadow like I'm going to say by default hazard but I don't think it ends here he's hiding something.

for fun and for glory I lol'd it's like the most simple way to solve the casual vs hardcore way of playing

this rating system is weird it's like a leader board but backwards?

all those pokemon, items and assist trophy are realy neat.(btw yeah master ball is a good idea)

implicit de/confirmation (example Samurai goroh as assist)

EVERY VETERAN announced but the single slot it's like a change I would accept and tbh I would have used only sheik if this transformation was still there so I'm pleased (ZSS is good design, yoshi is cute and cartoony, sheik is more realistic)

my music returning YEAHHHHHHHH!

FREAKING SMASH RUN I'm going to be honest here kirby air ride (city trial) is probably the most random/fun game I've ever played even alone against cpu it's fun. But to mix the platform of SSE with common nintendo minions and this city trial mechanism is just GENIUS this mode WILL be fun.

custom moves? hum... it seems like there's alot of info we need to know in that regard.

final destination for every stage just wow what an ingenious way to solve the boringness of the final destination really this will be fun to watch in tournaments.

online report with ban for false reports? yes finally it looks that I'm going to enjoy this online experience

some music in the direct are remix (gerudo valley) and they are just good can't wait to hear them

And finally the surprise the pokemon trainer is cut I couldn't beleive it they changed charizard which I'll admit I did use only him with the trainer but this was unexpected. and Gerenja ah really I didn't see it coming looks so cool to play as and we all expected mewtwo (the thing is, I wonder if he will still be there that's a whole lot of pokemon)

and that's it Sakurai did some good jokes (substitute, ZSS fake cut, implying he's alive etc...) you're a funny troll not a bad one. I just want to mention I can't beleive that in 39 minutes we got more info than we had before the direct combined it was worth the 40-45 days BY A LOT. This is very encouraging and I want this game more than ever.

EDIT: so how long it will take to compile all these info? remember, there's implicit ones?

Last edited:

Manty

Smash Rookie
Well, the hitstun cancelling technique returned from brawl.
People can now cancel hitstun with an air dodge or attack much sooner than expected( what is the point of having hitstun if you can just cancel it frame 14-24?)
I didn't notice this anywhere, where'd you see it?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Did anyone else notice (Or at least think) that Sakurai had a problem doing the whole arm motion for the "Direct" part? It made me feel sad inside.....
Oh look! Powered-up Yoshi!!!
I don't know if you're joking, but he was obviously making fun of Iwata for doing that silly pose. That's why both times he did it he never said "direct". "First time he said: I want to bring this information......... about the game", and second time he said "This is Masahiro Sakurai direct....or of Super Smash Brothers"

It was obviously making fun of Iwata and his silly poses/sayings.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
Why are so many people claiming Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Mewtwo are disconfirmed? There is zero evidence for that.
Squirtle because frankly out of all the Pokemon, with Charizard now being solo and Greninja in as a Water-Dark type, a squishy, water-only, and further gen-1 rep is overkill and doesn't fit the choices of fighters that have come thus far

Mewtwo I think is FAR from disconfirmed though.... his return is likely going to be an event in itself and showing him today along with a Pokemon newcomer and a semi-newcomer would just be overkill, I'm guessing he'll either be a hidden character or else there'll be another few announcements in between times

Ivysaur... well if they want to keep a grass fire water trio it's much more likely they'll include another biped Pokemon (i.e. Sceptile because not only does that cover Gen 1 (Pikachu, Charizard), Gen 3(Sceptile), Gen 4(Lucario), Gen 6(Megas, Greninja, Jiggly as fairy type)) so a much more even spread
Combine that with the fact that most of the more hunched 'animal' fighters like Bowser & Yoshi have been straightened in stance it seems like they're shifting away from having any quadrapeds like Ivysaur too

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Where are you getting the directions from? I don't mind having a usable Side-B and two mobility moves, but did he say the directions of each?

Edit: Also, great job on the list!
I'm pretty sure he said Sheik's side-b is now the grenade.

Thank god, the whip was kind of a waste IMHO

I tried to be productive.
I found Mew in there, too.
Dude productive you were! I was hoping somebody would do this

Last edited:

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
So... I watched that. I was honestly expecting the 3DS version later than it is going to be. Also, hype. Hype. HYPE. Hypitty Hype Hype. I was expecting the character reveal to be introduced by Sakurai, but apparently, that's no fun. It has to be at the very end with no warning. And then, it looks likes it's just a Charizard reveal, when... NOPE! Greninja! One of my favorite Pokemon from X and Y. I'm also excited about a bunch of the other stuff! But where are the Ice Climbers? Captain Falcon? Ness? Also, did that Ridley shadow seem suspicious to anyone else?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
We can get almost all of the pokeball pokemon from watching the direct right before Charizard is shown. I can also see Goldeen, Suicune and lots of other people I don't recognize (which I believe have not been announced).

D

Deleted member

Just got back from my own engagements. People are taking the Ridley news WAY better than I expected (save for a couple people). Olimar nerf might've been a bit too harsh, glad ZSS is getting buffed, cool that transforms are their own characters now, Mega Man's final smash is the most fanservicey thing ever and it's AMAZING and Greninja seems really fun. Also online is looking good, from what I can understand ranked mathcmaking, and LOTS of competitive support. Thank you based Sakurai.

ZealRed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZealRed
3DS FC
5026-4454-7119
It looks closer to where you fight Siebold, the water Elite 4.
I think it is safe to assume that the stage takes out the possibility of Pokemon Stadium 3(and also, it will be a shared stage between versions), and instead, there will be this transition between the Kalos Elite Four, and the order can possibly be randomized(since you can take out the Elite Four in the order you desire in the games), Until you reach the Champion Room. I think the transitions might take more time than the style of Pokemon Stadium because a usual fight takes about 3-6 minutes, and seeing the same Elite Four rooms over and over so quickly sounds somewhat redundant. This stage is looking very good(if it turns out the way I think).

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to post my initial thoughts now, but that Direct blew me away with much more than I was expecting. The 3DS exclusive mode is what I was hoping Subspace would be, iconic Nintendo enemies mixed together.

Customizable movesets and more costumes are awesome, and the boss battling thing sounds interesting.

More variety in Final Destination is nice, I guess, but I'm not sure how much use I'll really get out of it.

A lot of returning ATs, with Isaac notably absent is interesting, as was the presence of the Kremlings, and Pit's final smash change. It could be a coincidence, but the chances went up for those characters.

Unfortunately, with Ridley's shadow, his chances seem to have plummeted.

The new stages are cool and confirmation of retro stages is welcome.

I predicted Sheik and ZSS somewhere in this thread, so I'm pretty proud of that!

I'm excited to see Samus not changing after the Zero Laser since I was never that great at ZSS, but it's nice to see her moveset retained. Sheik's change is less exciting for me as I liked to swap between the two throughout the match. That said, Sheik was my preferred character, so I'm glad her moveset wasn't scrapped and is just tweaked a bit.

The Yoshi change doesn't do much for me, but maybe I'll be better with the dino this time around. Olimar seems really revamped, but it seems more of a nerf than a benefit to me.

Charizard makes me sad to see it on its own, but at least it was my second favorite to play as of PT's Pokémon. I'm assuming the others are cut even though it wasn't explicitly stated.

And then, Greninja? I know some people tossed it around, but I was not expecting it at all. I'm definitely going to try it out as it looks like a pretty good fit for me.

Overall, hype/10 on the direct from me.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This game is now literally fan service on all sides.

Hardcore Smash audience? You get this piece of smash

Casual Smash audience? You get this piece of smash

Nintendo fan? Look at all these new items and stages which represent so many franchises going as far as making a submarine into a gun

Fighting game fan? Look at all these cool footage, combos and now even "standard" rulesets

Megaman fan? Well watch all of his moves and even his final smash grant you all you ever wished for in a playable Megaman

Sonic fan? Watch his ultra lightning speed gameplay and combos as he totally ridicules another fighter in a 5 hit ground->air->spike combo that happens in like 2 seconds, totally how Sonic should have been in Brawl but wasn't

Yea, this Smash seems to do it all.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Nice eye. For your last point, probably the latter. He said that stages that are shared across platforms will have different aesthetics (and which user has been saying that for months now?) What my little eye spies, and quite enjoys, is that little default button at the top mapped to the 'Y' button. Probably means you can set the default song so if you press that button while the stage is loading, that song will be the one to play. THAT, my firends, is something I have been wanting for a long time now.
I hope they fix the issues I had with My Music picking soundtracks more commonly when they're scale is down to "Least Likely". I don't get how 3 of my MOST likely music choices get overrun a lot by music under least likely. Makes no sense.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure he said Sheik's side-b is now the grenade.

Thank god, the whip was kind of a waste IMHO

Dude productive you were! I was hoping somebody would do this
Sheik's side B was changed to make way for Simon Belmont

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Perhaps part of the connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS is to unlock/ send across characters, stages or trophies. I mean, the 3DS coming out first hurts, but if you need the Wii U game to complete it, it might be a huge incentive for people to buy the Wii U.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Still keeping my hope for Ridley alive... I don't see why Sakurai would tease Ridley like that if there wasn't something sketchy going on there. Why not just show him outright, or plainly state that he's a boss character? Optimistic speculation, I suppose, but there wasn't a concrete deconfirmation.

I'd also like to point out that Ridley in Other M is NOT the same Ridley that appeared in the other games. It's canonically possible for there to be two of him. It also could have been Meta-Ridley flying around, but I don't think that improves his chances because Meta-Ridley IS Ridley, only outfitted with some mechanical upgrades.

Top Bottom