• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Characters Are Kinda Rip-Offs

Are the Characters of this Game Rip-Offs???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kind of

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Well, I used to be a fan of Smash Bros. I don't own any of the games, but I played alot of the games at my friend's house. Though at first I loved Smash Bros I realized the characters are ripped off form other characters . What the F- (bad word) videogame makers, make original ideas. Here are some example.

Little Mac - Rocky
Link - Peter Pan
Bowser- Godzilla
Link - Peter Pan
Zelda - Bella From Twilight
Ganonodorf- Sauron, Gandalf, and Voldemort ( I mean seriously GAnONodORf)
Robin - Harry Potter
Ike - Edward from Twilight
Zero suit Samus - Katniss Everdeen
Captain Falcon - SpeedRacer
Meta Knight - The Dark Knight from Monty Python
Donkey Kong - King Kong
Shulk - Harry Potter
Yoshi - Many of the Dinosaurs from LB4Time
ROB- ET
Megaman - Robocop

I wish they came up with more original characters for fighting games rather than stealing ideas. Anyway, what do you think? Feel free to discuss if you agree or disagree, just please be nice! :)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Someone hasn't heard of storytelling tropes/conventions and character archetypes, it seems... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
"There is nothing new under the sun."

Ignoring the fact that most of those characters predate their "source material", it's common practice for artists and creators to draw inspiration from other materials. That's how art works. Da Vinci didn't just wake up one morning and decide, "Right so, I think I'll paint the Virgin of the Rocks today." Its content is inspired by the Virgin Mary and Jesus in a Biblical sense, and its technique is an adaptation and embellishment of various previous styles of art. Adapting these older techniques and refining them, whilst constantly improving and creating something better, is the process by which art operates. Similarly, referencing older works in terms of content and imagery is a natural part of the creative process: everything has been done before somehow or another, it's just a matter of doing it in a new and interesting way.

Some of the characters in Smash are inspired by existing characters, e.g. Link's design was originally based on Peter Pan, Captain Falcon is a nod to Kamen Rider, etc. Offering homage to existing characters and works is not a "rip-off", it's a reference and an embellishment of an existing archetype. Would you regard all superheroes as "rip-offs" of Superman, or Superman as a "rip-off" of Nietzsche's Übermensch? No, of course they're not "rip-offs", they're creating something new from an established trope or archetype.

tl;dr: No.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Love how he doesn't even get names right, too; the knight from the Monty Python and the Holy Grail skits is the Black Knight, not the Dark Knight. :p
And wizards have been around for eons longer than Harry Potter, Zero Suit Samus is based on Ripley, not Katniss (since Metroid is based on the Alien franchise), Ganondorf is just an evil overlord, not based on any one overlord, etc.

This thread is pointless, like most of TTCG's threads tend to be. :p

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
And this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom