• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U Series Content Chart

Are Any of these series over represented

• Total voters

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
The #1 most annoying thing about this roster is the over representation of Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem. How do these games have 3-4 reps in the roster and iconic games like DKC and Start Fox only have 2! ........2!
Seriously. Some of the choices make sense... Metroid just isn't a very character-heavy franchise, so it's not unfair that it only has 2 characters on the roster (who are actually the same character). Pokémon has like 10,000 characters, so having 6 Pokémon on the roster is fine, especially since they are all unique. The Mario/Yoshi/Wario series representation is well-deserved and completely appropriate (and AWESOME, <3 Koopalings). But there really doesn't need to be 4 Fire Emblem characters, especially when one is a clone. Three would have been fine for FE, and two Kid Icarus characters would have been fine. DK probably deserves a 3rd character (still hoping for Dixie as another DLC character), and bringing Wolf back (with a new Final Smash, please) would be nice too.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I really don't understand why some people say FE doesn't deserve 4 reps or that Kid Icarus doesn't deserve 3 reps. I'm assuming most people haven't played Kid Icarus: Uprising or a FE game when they say things like that but even still, to say these two series don't deserve the number of characters is unfair. FE games have an ENORMOUS amount characters throughout the entire series, spanning across 13 games. Fire Emblem: Awakening alone had around 50 really likeable characters. Yes, it's still a niche series but thanks to Awakening, it's popularity is slowly rising and it's garnering more respect. The same can be said for Kid Icarus thanks to Kid Icarus: Uprising, which rebooted the franchise and had many memorable and likeable characters ranging from Palutena, Hades, Viridi, Magnus, Medusa, Pyrrhon, and yes, even Dark Pit. While it only has 3 games in the franchise, that's still not enough reason for it to not have at least 2-3 character reps. And even if you want to single out Dark Pit and Lucina because of them being clone characters, you should realize Sakurai treated them as extras for the fans of those series and they didn't take away from any development time of other characters, nor did they take up any slots or other characters.

Honestly, I'm getting really sick and tired of people singling out Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem just because they more than likely don't play any games in the series, don't like said games for whatever reason or are just plain ignorant to the fact that both series have a large enough following and fan base to warrant more characters. I'm not saying the DK, Metroid, Mother or F-Zero series shouldn't have gotten more reps because they are established and beloved franchises, I'm merely saying don't attack Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus just because you don't agree with the amount of characters. There's absolutely no reason why they need to be focused on so harshly just because you think things aren't fair for other series. For all we know, we may get more DLC characters thanks to Mewtwo's resurgence so perhaps some series that didn't get any reps will or have characters from Brawl return like Wolf or Lucas. At the end of the day, it's really stupid when we feel the need to point the finger and target other series just because other series weren't represented well enough in our mind. It's not fair to fans of those series who enjoy Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus and it's not becoming of us as a Smash community, at least that's how I feel on the matter.

This is of course my opinion so feel free to disagree as I don't speak for everyone nor should I. I simply ask for less finger pointing and more acceptance.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Alright, fair point, but that begs the question of why they felt the need to go with clones for each of those franchises. If all of the characters had been truly unique (such as the case with Pokémon) that would seem better.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
I really don't understand why some people say FE doesn't deserve 4 reps or that Kid Icarus doesn't deserve 3 reps. I'm assuming most people haven't played Kid Icarus: Uprising or a FE game when they say things like that but even still, to say these two series don't deserve the number of characters is unfair. FE games have an ENORMOUS amount characters throughout the entire series, spanning across 13 games. Fire Emblem: Awakening alone had around 50 really likeable characters. Yes, it's still a niche series but thanks to Awakening, it's popularity is slowly rising and it's garnering more respect. The same can be said for Kid Icarus thanks to Kid Icarus: Uprising, which rebooted the franchise and had many memorable and likeable characters ranging from Palutena, Hades, Viridi, Magnus, Medusa, Pyrrhon, and yes, even Dark Pit. While it only has 3 games in the franchise, that's still not enough reason for it to not have at least 2-3 character reps. And even if you want to single out Dark Pit and Lucina because of them being clone characters, you should realize Sakurai treated them as extras for the fans of those series and they didn't take away from any development time of other characters, nor did they take up any slots or other characters.

Honestly, I'm getting really sick and tired of people singling out Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem just because they more than likely don't play any games in the series, don't like said games for whatever reason or are just plain ignorant to the fact that both series have a large enough following and fan base to warrant more characters. I'm not saying the DK, Metroid, Mother or F-Zero series shouldn't have gotten more reps because they are established and beloved franchises, I'm merely saying don't attack Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus just because you don't agree with the amount of characters. There's absolutely no reason why they need to be focused on so harshly just because you think things aren't fair for other series. For all we know, we may get more DLC characters thanks to Mewtwo's resurgence so perhaps some series that didn't get any reps will or have characters from Brawl return like Wolf or Lucas. At the end of the day, it's really stupid when we feel the need to point the finger and target other series just because other series weren't represented well enough in our mind. It's not fair to fans of those series who enjoy Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus and it's not becoming of us as a Smash community, at least that's how I feel on the matter.

This is of course my opinion so feel free to disagree as I don't speak for everyone nor should I. I simply ask for less finger pointing and more acceptance.
I'm personally more annoyed by the thought that number of games/units sold should correspond to content representation, but then those same people turn around and scoff at the idea of series like Animal Crossing and Wii Fit (yes, Wii Fit) deserving more representation. Point is,I believe that Sakurai makes most of these decisions based mostly on how well he sees the respective content fitting in Smash rather than just popularity alone. That doesn't excuse some of the questionable decisions he makes,but I just needed to put in my two cents.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It may be my bias but I don't find the Mario representation (character-wise, at least) to be that bad. Five of the seven characters (Mario, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, and Bowser Jr) all have completely unique movesets from one another while Luigi nowadays is different enough from Mario to have a different following. And Dr. Mario was originally just an alt costume and he's a returning Melee character so it's not that bad.

Stage-wise I agree that in the 3DS version it was kind of ridiculous how Mario had FOUR new stages plus a returning stage while some of the core Nintendo series only had a returning stage. It's still too early to tell on the Wii U version as we don't know every stage (I almost guarantee there's at least one more stage we haven't heard of yet) but it's not that much more than other franchises (although I would have replaced Brawl's Mario Circuit with Princess Peach's castle from Melee and called it a day).

And as for franchises like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem getting more characters, I don't mind (and actually like) that they have more characters, rather I feel like series like DK and Metroid should have gotten more characters. Heck even Zelda should have considering it hasn't gotten a non-clone newcomer since Melee.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Sakurai I understand Kid Icarus: Uprising was your game, but damn, man, we get it. Dx

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

Alright Now that I have got your attention I will be making a new content chart instead, which instead of point will count everything each series has (trophies, music, smash run enemies, etc) I will post the link to the new one on the op.

Top Bottom