• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash bros. 3ds DLC confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Companies don't necessarily want to give you preorder bonuses, they just want your money and they want it now in the form of a preorder. It is kinda about being greedy, truth be told, and it's not game developers that show appreciation by giving preorder its marketing departments or marketing firms that do that. IE: Why you could only get a free upgrade to the "Limited Edition" of Far Cry 4 for a limited time.
I just think it's a bit harsh to say "You're one of THOSE people". Regardless of how you feel about preorder bonuses, they do exist and it'd honestly be a surprise not to have them just because of how commonplace they are nowadays. Because they are so prominent, it's a perfectly valid question to ask, and I don't think it's a symbol of any detriment to one's character.

So I'm sorry for coming off a bit abrasive. I just didn't see how such a criticism was justified. Like, I get you having your opinion on preorder bonuses, but why take it out on him? It's not his fault most games do that now, haha! XD

the8thark

Smash Lord
Jesus, is there seriously an argument about the morality of preorder bonuses, haha?

Companies WANT to give you preorder bonuses. Why? Because content like that usually costs them nothing to develop (depending on whether it's dlc or swag), it guarantees you get a copy of the game, AND it guarantees a purchase for the company. It's not about being greedy, or even trying to differentiate retailers. It's about showing great loyalty and support to game developers (IE: trusting in the quality of their game before reviews even come in), and in return, game developers show their appreciation by giving fans just a little bit extra. A win-win from every angle. When you ask "Hey, are there preorder bonuses", their expressions light up! Why? Because the employees in those positions who are worth a damn probably reserved their copy and are excited for the same reason you are.
Well Hyrule Warriors wants a talk with you. That game is splitting the retailers based on different pre-order bonuses. And make you chose where you pre-order the game on which pre-order bonus you get and not the best retailer. The same thing could happen with the WiiU SSB4.

Assassannerr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bookkannerr
I would be appreciative if a Mod would lock this thread now. Before the topic strays too far away from our inital topic and into a completely different one.

The topic at hand was about the possible addition of the DLC in the form of a WiiU Bonus.
But the topic has seemed to strayed from that into the morality behind pre-order bonuses.

It'd be nice if this is kept where people can still view it, as I stand by what I stated in my original post, But I feel this thread has run its course and is now irrelevant due to change of conversation and tone.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: No I am not requesting the lock of this post because I was "offended" or whatever... I just feel the conversation is straying too far from the topic at hand.

Of course, if the topic can remain at the topic at hand then the need for a lock would no longer be needed. But as this is the internet... Its doubt able.

Last edited:

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
I would be appreciative if a Mod would lock this thread now. Before the topic strays too far away from our inital topic and into a completely different one.

The topic at hand was about the possible addition of the DLC in the form of a WiiU Bonus.
But the topic has seemed to strayed from that into the morality behind pre-order bonuses.

It'd be nice if this is kept where people can still view it, as I stand by what I stated in my original post, But I feel this thread has run its course and is now irrelevant due to change of conversation and tone.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: No I am not requesting the lock of this post because I was "offended" or whatever... I just feel the conversation is straying too far from the topic at hand.

Of course, if the topic can remain at the topic at hand then the need for a lock would no longer be needed. But as this is the internet... Its doubt able.
It's like you've never had a conversation before.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Firstly I apologize if this is not where this thread belongs, I am new to smash boards. As a matter of fact I am making this account just to post this...

Anyway, Today I went to my local Gamestop to ask if they had any pre-order bonuses for Smash bros 3ds. The conversation started by them asking me if I wanted to pre-order the WiiU version as well. They told me that they should have it in November. I told them I thought we'd get it around Christmas (As every smash game has been delayed and I thought this time would be no different) Then they said they had a "conference meeting" yesterday (yesterday being the 15th of September) and they said that they played the game and they said the game was definitely done. I then asked them if they had any special pre-order bonuses for the game.

They told me first that Smash run is the only mode exclusive to the 3ds. Then they said while there is no Pre-order bonus for the 3ds, they said that in that same meeting that they announced that there will be DLC characters that you can buy and use on the 3ds version. And then they said that these DLC characters will be Pre-loaded on the WiiU version, and can be transferred for free to the 3ds. They said or you can just buy the characters on the E-shop if you didn't want to get the WiiU version.

They wouldn't tell me what/who these DLC characters were and they didn't tell me how many there were. But they did tell me that YES there is more characters.

So, DLC confirmed?

I don't claim to have any inside information. You can hate or claim that I'm BSing all you want, I don't care.

I am just telling you what I was told.
NICE!!! Thanks for sharing this! Everything is lining up to support Ridley, Mewtwo, and 2-3 others' inclusion! AWESOME! The trophy theory, ridley's shadow tease, missing trophies in 3DS, previous leaks which had 100% correct info minus 4-5 characters suspiciously missing in 3DS, and new leaks!

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't buy this at all, but it's interesting in that it's lining up with the Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie/Chorus Kids cluster**** (which I also think is false). Some other sources which seem to fit with it also talk about a November release.

With that said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if whoever this was bought the rumor, and was passing off what he heard as fact.

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're one of THOSE type of people. Why is guaranteeing yourself a copy of the the game not good enough?
Because smart shopping has shown that when retailers compete, preorder offers more than simply holding your game like a $5 bonus, poster, coupon, etc. This is fairly common and is hardly any different from shopping around for a better price. Having some high and mighty attitude towards simply asking if any preorder bonuses exist says more about you than it does about them.

D

Deleted member 245254

Let me clear this up in one fell swoop.

I spent a lot of time in America for business and while I was there I worked as a store manager for a GameStop.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that nothing they say holds any more credibility or viability of being true than the next random Joe on the street.

As a store manager I had one goal : sell. Sell pre-orders. Sell subscriptions to the magazine. That's it. Your entire store is judged by a district manager based purely on that, and let me tell you, depending on what type of store you're in, they will 90% of the time say whatever it takes to get you to put money down, because it looks good on them individually. The computer keeps track of every employee, and who gets what.

I can tell you with absolution that I was never privy to information anyone else couldn't know by just googling.

This isn't a guess or an uncertainty, I know exactly why he did it. He was BSing you with his own speculation to get a preorder. That's it. There is literally nothing to be gained from this story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
GAMESTOP?

lmao.

GameCrooks. They want to sell people anything for money. /thread

{edit} not really /thread, I don't like it when people "/thread" because let's keep the conversation going. It may be true, but I've cut business with that company years ago.

Last edited:

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
This is quite interesting. I'm conflicted on this, however.

On one hand, taking a Gamestop employee's word on such-- what I would call, sensitive material, is very dubious. No offense to Gamestop employees.
But on the other hand, this whole system of the 3DS getting paid DLC, which comes preloaded on the Wii U version, and can be added to the 3DS for free by downloading from Wii U if you want to wait or happen to get the Wii U version first and decide to get the 3DS version later, makes quite a bit of sense. It's such a unique way of operating DLC between the two versions, that I could really see Nintendo doing it this way. As a bonus, it doesn't break Sakurai's Third Law of Character Rosters.

This could go either way for me.

*Sakurai's Third Law of Character Rosters states that both versions shall share the same roster.

D

Deleted member 245254

This is quite interesting. I'm conflicted on this, however.

On one hand, taking a Gamestop employee's word on such-- what I would call, sensitive material, is very dubious. No offense to Gamestop employees.
But on the other hand, this whole system of the 3DS getting paid DLC, which comes preloaded on the Wii U version, and can be added to the 3DS for free by downloading from Wii U if you want to wait or happen to get the Wii U version first and decide to get the 3DS version later, makes quite a bit of sense. It's such a unique way of operating DLC between the two versions, that I could really see Nintendo doing it this way. As a bonus, it doesn't break Sakurai's Third Law of Character Rosters.

This could go either way for me.

*Sakurai's Third Law of Character Rosters states that both versions shall share the same roster.
As long as he has a means to include those extra characters in the 3DS version...I don't see how he'd be breaking that rule, technically speaking.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Let me clear this up in one fell swoop.

I spent a lot of time in America for business and while I was there I worked as a store manager for a GameStop.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that nothing they say holds any more credibility or viability of being true than the next random Joe on the street.

As a store manager I had one goal : sell. Sell pre-orders. Sell subscriptions to the magazine. That's it. Your entire store is judged by a district manager based purely on that, and let me tell you, depending on what type of store you're in, they will 90% of the time say whatever it takes to get you to put money down, because it looks good on them individually. The computer keeps track of every employee, and who gets what.

I can tell you with absolution that I was never privy to information anyone else couldn't know by just googling.

This isn't a guess or an uncertainty, I know exactly why he did it. He was BSing you with his own speculation to get a preorder. That's it. There is literally nothing to be gained from this story.
Aww, :(

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
You're one of THOSE type of people. Why is guaranteeing yourself a copy of the the game not good enough?
Yes, instead of focusing on this possible news he has let's focus on him wanting free stuff! :laugh:
But serisously, maybe because free stuff is awesome? Plus, if retailers want to compete with each other pre-order bonuses are the way. I don't see what's such a problem with wanting something free.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Because it comes off petty imo. Sure, the CEO cares you shop at their establishment but their retail employees you bug for your "preorder bonuses" don't give a flyin f care. I've personally only ever preorder to make sure I get my copy when its released. No other reason.
Oh, yeah, he totally ruined that salesman's day with the question about the thing he wanted to buy. What a monster.

Could you be any more self righteous?

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
You're right, getting free stuff IS awesome, asking for free stuff is not. Getting the "best of my dollar" is 1. a grammatical nightmare, and 2. you already are. It comes in the form of a game called Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Not getting getting the "best of my dollar" comes in the form of say... Street Fighter IV when Capcom put "DLC characters" on the disc (which you purchased) and made you pay in order to play them.
Stop being judgmental. No one cares about what you think. Your posts are off topic and annoying.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
OP, thanks for coming here in good faith and telling us what someone told you. I'm sorry for the bile spat at you by some members of this community.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
it seems genuine but idk what Gamestop's track record on these kind of things is. But as always I will hope it's real but take with a grain of salt.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
Yeah I think this sort of thing would have leaked long ago and quite a bit more if people outside nintendo had known this.

I personally think they talked about the possibility of DLC content at the meeting, and this person was simply confused.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Because smart shopping has shown that when retailers compete, preorder offers more than simply holding your game like a $5 bonus, poster, coupon, etc. This is fairly common and is hardly any different from shopping around for a better price. Having some high and mighty attitude towards simply asking if any preorder bonuses exist says more about you than it does about them.
Companies competing is actually a lesser thing than you seem think and claim. Nintendo makes most of its money through Future Shop, Best Buy and Walmart. Less of it comes from specialty shops like Gamestop. Which is why you see Hyrule Warriors giving out free skins through a variety of retailers because of market segmentation, target marketing, etc.

Stop being judgmental. No one cares about what you think. Your posts are off topic and annoying.
hypocritical much?

Last edited:

marvel b

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2423-3428-7359
i don't trust current gamestop employees,the ones in my area tend to badger you lies until you leave or pre order, such as "well hyrule warriors has a maximum of thirty characters from all the zelda games,but only on the gamestop version", or "you need to preorder omega ruby and alpha sapphire in order to get a code within the past week",or my favorite "if you pre order smash bros 3DS,all the hidden features will be unlocked using the code on the reciept".so i tend to go elsewhere when the games come out.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Ok, I'm gonna be straight foward, @ Maester Maester , can you stop talking about pre-order bonuses? If you don't like them no need to go off-topic and rant. They're just nice to have.
Anyway, back to the current topic, yeah, as some pointed out GameStop isn't that credible.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I had a GameStop employee tell me that halfway through Resident Evil 6's campaign, all the characters would team up. I think he also told me it'd be good.

Also, "My dad works at Nintendo"

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Hum... download online, or pay for gas to go buy a game that gives me nothing extra. I'll download it, thanks.

Seriously, considering how easy it is to purchase games for download, and the price of gas, not offering a pre-order bonus will impact sales.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Regardless of whether this is real or not, there's a huge chance of it happening. It'd be dumb on nintendo's part to let the hype die down and potentially waste the failing Wii U sales. Modes and Stages aren't going to sell people another console plus the game and sakurai knows that, he's most definitely hiding something from us

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
NICE!!! Thanks for sharing this! Everything is lining up to support Ridley, Mewtwo, and 2-3 others' inclusion! AWESOME! The trophy theory, ridley's shadow tease, missing trophies in 3DS, previous leaks which had 100% correct info minus 4-5 characters suspiciously missing in 3DS, and new leaks!
Oh don't be so mean :p

Roxas215

Smash Lord
As a former gamestop employee i can say this sounds 100% fake.

While gamestop does have their own conferences and yes companies DO make big reveals at these press conferences. ONLY MANAGERS are able to attend. Normal store clerks would have no way of attending these.

On top of that any info thats reveled at this meetings are embargoed. Obviously those embargos are lifted at some point but it would be way longer then 2 days.

So the only way this would be true was if there was a gamestop conference on the 15th
The manager of the store you went to would have to break embargo by letting his employees know thus risking his job
The employees would also have to break embargo thus risking not only their manager jobs but their jobs as well.

All to let you know about potential DLC character?? It's not adding up. (I do believe there will be dlc is some fashion though)

Dr. Dobis

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jopus77
3DS FC
1993-8200-6012
Firstly I apologize if this is not where this thread belongs, I am new to smash boards. As a matter of fact I am making this account just to post this...

Anyway, Today I went to my local Gamestop to ask if they had any pre-order bonuses for Smash bros 3ds. The conversation started by them asking me if I wanted to pre-order the WiiU version as well. They told me that they should have it in November. I told them I thought we'd get it around Christmas (As every smash game has been delayed and I thought this time would be no different) Then they said they had a "conference meeting" yesterday (yesterday being the 15th of September) and they said that they played the game and they said the game was definitely done. I then asked them if they had any special pre-order bonuses for the game.

They told me first that Smash run is the only mode exclusive to the 3ds. Then they said while there is no Pre-order bonus for the 3ds, they said that in that same meeting that they announced that there will be DLC characters that you can buy and use on the 3ds version. And then they said that these DLC characters will be Pre-loaded on the WiiU version, and can be transferred for free to the 3ds. They said or you can just buy the characters on the E-shop if you didn't want to get the WiiU version.

They wouldn't tell me what/who these DLC characters were and they didn't tell me how many there were. But they did tell me that YES there is more characters.

So, DLC confirmed?

I don't claim to have any inside information. You can hate or claim that I'm BSing all you want, I don't care.

I am just telling you what I was told.
I preordered smash 3ds at a gamestop last week, and one of the employees told me, not to hold him to it, but that there may be a "gamestop exclusive character."
Obviously this doesn't sound true, but the employee may have known something is happening but not exactly what.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's amazing how high they scored the reviews on the site 9s and 10s
...I feel like vomitting. Need a bucket yo.

On the subject though, it's more than likely someone wanting to messing with your head. They said something about the 3DS/Wii U transfer bit to me as well when I per-ordered from there. They were probably right on the Mii/Equipment/Control/etc., but I rolled my eyes and paid to hurry out when they mentioned secret characters.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Ok, I'm gonna be straight foward, @ Maester Maester , can you stop talking about pre-order bonuses? If you don't like them no need to go off-topic and rant. They're just nice to have.
Anyway, back to the current topic, yeah, as some pointed out GameStop isn't that credible.
Explaning how the business industry works is not ranting.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Well I would like this to be true, but all I know is when I ask anybody at GameStop anything they have no idea or know less then I do.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
Alright. I got back from work just now and I can tell you that nothing of the sort was brought up in my store at least. The only unusual thing I noticed was that the strategy guide for Smash 3DS has been canceled and will be removed from out system soon. It'll be replaced by a 2 in 1 guide that features the 3DS and Wii U version eventually, due to other companies having that listed.

I find it strange they'd cancel the guide though and just bundle them together. It could be that since both version have the same roster they'd want it to be convenient for the player. So, maybe there are DLC characters and they just want to release the guide post release date for Smash 3DS, because you actually connect the two version to get more content. A guide before then would make it obsolete. Just an idea though.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The OP requested this a while back but I am locking this topic. GameStop is not an accurate source of information period and discussion about it is bound to go off into rants, triads, and spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom