• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash bros. 3ds DLC confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassannerr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bookkannerr
Firstly I apologize if this is not where this thread belongs, I am new to smash boards. As a matter of fact I am making this account just to post this...

Anyway, Today I went to my local Gamestop to ask if they had any pre-order bonuses for Smash bros 3ds. The conversation started by them asking me if I wanted to pre-order the WiiU version as well. They told me that they should have it in November. I told them I thought we'd get it around Christmas (As every smash game has been delayed and I thought this time would be no different) Then they said they had a "conference meeting" yesterday (yesterday being the 15th of September) and they said that they played the game and they said the game was definitely done. I then asked them if they had any special pre-order bonuses for the game.

They told me first that Smash run is the only mode exclusive to the 3ds. Then they said while there is no Pre-order bonus for the 3ds, they said that in that same meeting that they announced that there will be DLC characters that you can buy and use on the 3ds version. And then they said that these DLC characters will be Pre-loaded on the WiiU version, and can be transferred for free to the 3ds. They said or you can just buy the characters on the E-shop if you didn't want to get the WiiU version.

They wouldn't tell me what/who these DLC characters were and they didn't tell me how many there were. But they did tell me that YES there is more characters.

So, DLC confirmed?

I don't claim to have any inside information. You can hate or claim that I'm BSing all you want, I don't care.

I am just telling you what I was told.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
From what I've seen, GameStop isn't known to have the most accurate info on stuff like this, so yeah, I'm gonna say it's not true.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I don't think they'd be allowed to tell you that. I think Nintendo would have to authorize them to do that first, as a contractual agreement to sell their product. I know nothing of how the system works, of course, but it makes more sense that way.

I can't feasibly deny what you're saying. Hell, it probably is true, since Smash DLC would bring in the big bucks for Nintendo.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
First of all, Welcome to the Boards, makes sense that they said to you that, because promotion purposes but still, like many other posts today, Im taking it like a grain of salt

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Firstly I apologize if this is not where this thread belongs, I am new to smash boards. As a matter of fact I am making this account just to post this...

Anyway, Today I went to my local Gamestop to ask if they had any pre-order bonuses for Smash bros 3ds. The conversation started by them asking me if I wanted to pre-order the WiiU version as well. They told me that they should have it in November. I told them I thought we'd get it around Christmas (As every smash game has been delayed and I thought this time would be no different) Then they said they had a "conference meeting" yesterday (yesterday being the 15th of September) and they said that they played the game and they said the game was definitely done. I then asked them if they had any special pre-order bonuses for the game.

They told me first that Smash run is the only mode exclusive to the 3ds. Then they said while there is no Pre-order bonus for the 3ds, they said that in that same meeting that they announced that there will be DLC characters that you can buy and use on the 3ds version. And then they said that these DLC characters will be Pre-loaded on the WiiU version, and can be transferred for free to the 3ds. They said or you can just buy the characters on the E-shop if you didn't want to get the WiiU version.

They wouldn't tell me what/who these DLC characters were and they didn't tell me how many there were. But they did tell me that YES there is more characters.

So, DLC confirmed?

I don't claim to have any inside information. You can hate or claim that I'm BSing all you want, I don't care.

Probably that guy was pranking you, lol. If he was in the know with the whole big 3 being left out he was probably saying that just to get you a bit excited. But that's assuming you didn't make this up. How do you get from: Do you have any pre-order bonuses, To: Yeah, Nintendo gave us a copy of the game and they also told us there was more dlc characters.
I personally think you are a fake and this thread should be locked, but whatever.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
There is absolutely no way they'd tell regular old gamestop employees such huge information.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
As much as I would like for this to be true, I'm pretty sure the information that guy gave you was false or incorrect. However I suppose well find out pretty soon within the next month or so.

Assassannerr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bookkannerr
Probably that guy was pranking you, lol. If he was in the know with the whole big 3 being left out he was probably saying that just to get you a bit excited. But that's assuming you didn't make this up. How do you get from: Do you have any pre-order bonuses, To: Yeah, Nintendo gave us a copy of the game and they also told us there was more dlc characters.
I personally think you are a fake and this thread should be locked, but whatever.
I never said I had any inside information, so no need to call me a fake. That's what I was told.

They were listing me off quote on quote "selling points" for 3ds versions versus WiiU versions. Thats how we got on the topic of DLC characters.

Because they told me that the DLC characters come pre-loaded on the WiiU version and if you get the WiiU version you don't have to buy them on your 3ds as you can transfer them on it for free.

That sounded like a pre-order bonus to me...

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

salt from the supporters of the big three :troll:

Last edited:

Wild Woody

Smash Rookie
NNID
YuriKoigakubo
3DS FC
2707-1621-8891
Like everybody else, taking it with a grain of salt.
I don't really understand the whole, "you can buy it on 3DS"
OR
"transfer for free on Wii U"
I see what it means but that seems like a scam. I know Sakurai said that both 3DS and Wii U versions will have the same roster, and this doesn't exactly break that rule, but it still seems a little off.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
ask if they had any pre-order bonuses
You're one of THOSE type of people. Why is guaranteeing yourself a copy of the the game not good enough?

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Sounds kinda legit, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
Yup. It certainly fits with the other information, but I'm not going to get my hopes up after the last disappointment.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
You're one of THOSE type of people. Why is guaranteeing yourself a copy of the the game not good enough?
Because there are hundreds of retailers peddling the same product for the same price with similar levels of convenience and getting stuff for free is cool?

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
If Best Buy had a Lucas costume for Ness, and GameStop had nothing, people would be upset for pre-ordering from the wrong place.

Booster

Smash Lord

So, DLC confirmed?

I'm not trusting the same company with anything this important when they asked $20 for Sonic 06

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/sonic-the-hedgehog/61044

You thought I was joking.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Trust me, as a guy who used to work at GameStop, they wouldn't tell any of the employees that. In fact, the employees don't know anything you don't, and that's on purpose because every time they give sensitive information to the employees, they blab it all over the internet within minutes.

So yeah, I'm not saying GameStop people don't know what they're talking about, but unless they have some official source for information like that, I wouldn't take it seriously.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Because there are hundreds of retailers peddling the same product for the same price with similar levels of convenience and getting stuff for free is cool?
Because it comes off petty imo. Sure, the CEO cares you shop at their establishment but their retail employees you bug for your "preorder bonuses" don't give a flyin f care. I've personally only ever preorder to make sure I get my copy when its released. No other reason.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I work for GameStop and I've yet to hear anything like that. I even just checked with my good friend who manages another store and nothing of the sort was confirmed at the recent GameStop Expo. I go into work tomorrow, so I'll check for any specific advertising, e-mails, and etc. The only thing I'm aware of for our district is that you might get a free Amiibo when you pick up the Wii U version if you have it pre-ordered. The DLC claim is possible, but if a employee misled you I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
If Best Buy had a Lucas costume for Ness, and GameStop had nothing, people would be upset for pre-ordering from the wrong place.
and I would continue to lose faith in humanity and just so we're clear its already LONG gone, lol. :glare:

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't usually pre-order unless there's a material reward, playable characters usually become DLC later.

Assassannerr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bookkannerr
Because getting free stuff is awesome?

Are judging me for wanting to get the best of my dollar? THAT should make you loose faith in humanity...

I will be sure to add "Smart Shopping" to the list of things that makes me a bad person...

Assassannerr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bookkannerr
I hope it's true and free, because that would be great, but I won't trust it until I see it.
Oh yea, me too.

I plan on getting both versions anyway, so anything extra I get for both of them is totally awesome.

Haha well op you've given us a lot to talk about
I was just sharing what they told me. I was excited, I'm surprised how many people are hating on ME for it.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I'm not hating on you. From the little time I've been on these boards most of the community has been very rude, so you aren't alone there. I'm just simply saying you shouldn't look too much into it. It could have been someone who saw the recent "leak" and believed it to be true. None the less though it'd be awesome to see something like this happened.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh yea, me too.

I plan on getting both versions anyway, so anything extra I get for both of them is totally awesome.

I was just sharing what they told me. I was excited, I'm surprised how many people are hating on ME for it.
I am also not hating on you and I respect the info you brought but Some MIGHT hate on you because there are tons of people that laim DLC will be on the game it I think It has gotton to the point to where it annoys people. buy yeah, Im not use nintndo shairs that much info with retailers at all. If they did, no game would be safe. Also, Welcome

Last edited:

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
and I would continue to lose faith in humanity.
Because getting free stuff is awesome?

Are judging me for wanting to get the best of my dollar? THAT should make you loose faith in humanity...

I will be sure to add "Smart Shopping" to the list of things that makes me a bad person...
You're right, getting free stuff IS awesome, asking for free stuff is not. Getting the "best of my dollar" is 1. a grammatical nightmare, and 2. you already are. It comes in the form of a game called Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Not getting getting the "best of my dollar" comes in the form of say... Street Fighter IV when Capcom put "DLC characters" on the disc (which you purchased) and made you pay in order to play them.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I wouldnt trust Gamestop with my old games that I traded in, so theres no way in hell Im believing anything from a Gamestop employee. As for the Pre-orders, I know better than to ask for prizes. When everyone starting saying that KI:U was the **** I went to ten stores, 3/10 Gamestop, and said if I didnt have it pre-ordered they didnt have one for me. Thankfully store 11 had ONE left in stock.

THATS THE LAST MISTAKE I EVER MAKE

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Jesus, is there seriously an argument about the morality of preorder bonuses, haha?

Companies WANT to give you preorder bonuses. Why? Because content like that usually costs them nothing to develop (depending on whether it's dlc or swag), it guarantees you get a copy of the game, AND it guarantees a purchase for the company. It's not about being greedy, or even trying to differentiate retailers. It's about showing great loyalty and support to game developers (IE: trusting in the quality of their game before reviews even come in), and in return, game developers show their appreciation by giving fans just a little bit extra. A win-win from every angle. When you ask "Hey, are there preorder bonuses", their expressions light up! Why? Because the employees in those positions who are worth a damn probably reserved their copy and are excited for the same reason you are.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
You're right, getting free stuff IS awesome, asking for free stuff is not. Getting the "best of my dollar" is 1. a grammatical nightmare, and 2. you already are. It comes in the form of a game called Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Not getting getting the "best of my dollar" comes in the form of say... Street Fighter IV when Capcom put "DLC characters" on the disc (which you purchased) and made you pay in order to play them.
Holy prejudice-over-nothing, Batman!

Honestly, if there isn't an incentive to buy it right off the bat, there isn't an incentive not to wait for a price drop. It's going to be the same game three years from now, so the only reason I would want to pay full price for anything is time-sensitive content.

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Jesus, is there seriously an argument about the morality of preorder bonuses, haha?

Companies WANT to give you preorder bonuses. Why? Because content like that usually costs them nothing to develop (depending on whether it's dlc or swag), it guarantees you get a copy of the game, AND it guarantees a purchase for the company. It's not about being greedy, or even trying to differentiate retailers. It's about showing great loyalty and support to game developers (IE: trusting in the quality of their game before reviews even come in), and in return, game developers show their appreciation by giving fans just a little bit extra. A win-win from every angle. When you ask "Hey, are there preorder bonuses", their expressions light up! Why? Because the employees in those positions who are worth a damn probably reserved their copy and are excited for the same reason you are.
"Morality" is a bit heavy handed. It's more like "righteous indignation." The root behind this attitude (which I share to a smaller degree) is that 10 years ago, when you bought a video game, you got the whole thing. What the developer made is what you got. But now, you pay your money for a game, and they want you to pay for it some more. Or they want you to pay for it before the game is even out, just to inflate early sales.

As a hard-working taxpayer, I find it inherently frustrating when I pick up a game I preordered and get a slip of paper with a code that unlocks something that I already paid for. That little code doesn't let me download my bonus, it downloads a digital key that is less than a megabyte, which unlocks content on the discs I already paid for.

But on the spectrum of sleazy business decisions, this is pretty tame compared to Enron and Bernie Maddoff.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Companies don't necessarily want to give you preorder bonuses, they just want your money and they want it now in the form of a preorder. It is kinda about being greedy, truth be told, and it's not game developers that show appreciation by giving preorder its marketing departments or marketing firms that do that. IE: Why you could only get a free upgrade to the "Limited Edition" of Far Cry 4 for a limited time.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
You realize they're salesmen right? It doesn't matter if they're wrong as long as it gets you to buy the game.

Smash run being 3DS exclusive is true though.

Last edited:

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
Holy prejudice-over-nothing, Batman!

Honestly, if there isn't an incentive to buy it right off the bat, there isn't an incentive not to wait for a price drop. It's going to be the same game three years from now, so the only reason I would want to pay full price for anything is time-sensitive content.
Prejudice is the wrong word, fact is more like it. :4villager:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom