• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash ball could be legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
look, I am perfectly aware of the smash balls random unfairness, but at the same time, I think there is a reason sakurai intrusted balance to the smash ball, camping is a big problem right now and can be tough to get around, the smash ball discourages comping.

A match begins, both characters spawn in, they both know that whoever makes the first move is in trouble so the match becomes a boring stand of, then the smash ball comes out, a few things can happen.

One person goes for the smash ball, leaving himself open

one person goes for the smash ball while the other person waits and plans on stealing it.

they both go for it creating a suspensefull battle over pure power.

one player allows his opponet to break the smash ball knowing that he can use his final smash against him.

and I'm sure there are lots of other complex situation I didin't think of, It CAN be a great item.

D3w3y

Smash Cadet
It wont work some FS are better/worse than others also some have advantages with more charaters in the match its just too different.

stoneswithstand

Smash Apprentice
i refuse to attack a smash ball and sonic respawns and simply kicks and breaks it

although its pretty fun with zeldas dins fire

anyways, no.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
1. Create a tournament format.
2. Host a tournament in that format.
3. Edit the format based on results to make it more balanced.
4. Repeat steps 2-3.
5. ????
6. Profit!

Yes, if you want smashballs legal in competitive smash, you need to create a competitive format that is relatively balanced and judges based on skill, not on randomness. Then host tournies in that format.

Otherwise smashballs will never be legal.

It wont work some FS are better/worse than others also some have advantages with more charaters in the match its just too different.
Well, that is what tiers are for...

However overpowered characters get banned...

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The smash ball would only cause more camping. Who wants to fight when you can wait for the magic orb that scores free kills? Also, one word: LANDMASTER. We're just starting to overcome camping as the standard competitive playstyle...and you want us to go back to square one.

Hey, lets legalize the fan while we're at it!

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
O.K, let's b honest with ourselves the game is already unbalanced the most a final smash can do is change the tier list. By the way I generally agree the smash ball is unfair but I'm am trying to find ways to help braws current situation(like we all are)and I thought it worth bringing up. It has certain advantages.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sakurai is an idiot and his ideas of balance are irrelevant. I'm almost certain he had no idea Brawl would become a campfest, either. Sakurai's intentions =/= Relevant stuff.

Also, no.

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
The smash ball would only cause more camping. Who wants to fight when you can wait for the magic orb that scores free kills? Also, one word: LANDMASTER. We're just starting to overcome camping as the standard competitive playstyle...and you want us to go back to square one.

Hey, lets legalize the fan while we're at it!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I love smash as mutch as the rest of us do I don't want square one, I want improvement, I don't exactly think it would help but we must consider all possibilities

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I love smash as mutch as the rest of us do I don't want square one, I want improvement, I don't exactly think it would help but we must consider all possibilities
What makes you think we haven't? What makes you think there haven't been countless threads on this already? What makes you think I haven't personally destroyed every single one of those by shattering their inane arguments for why Smash Balls should be tourney legal?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
O.K, let's b honest with ourselves the game is already unbalanced the most a final smash can do is change the tier list. By the way I generally agree the smash ball is unfair but I'm am trying to find ways to help braws current situation(like we all are)and I thought it worth bringing up. It has certain advantages.
It's not THAT unbalanced.

Honestly though, you need character bans to make this work, because certain final smashes are just too ungodly powerful. Fox, Falco, and Wolf to the vast majority of the cast (aka, everyone but them) are basically Super Turbo's Akuma. Yes, Landmaster is just THAT broken with a reasonable spawn rate.

So first thing to do is remove them from the playable cast.

From there, we'll see.

Just work on the format if you're interested, see what happens.

Sakurai is an idiot and his ideas of balance are irrelevant. I'm almost certain he had no idea Brawl would become a campfest, either. Sakurai's intentions =/= Relevant stuff.

Also, no.
Hey Yuna, don't overly discourage him, the standard response is "host your own tournament".

And yes, developer's intent = garbage.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If you want smash balls to be legal, run a tournament with them on. Same with any other item. Don't expect everyone else to do the same though. Especially considering that most tournament players have preferred items off and select stages since melee..

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
Thank you for discussing this with me, like I keep saying i only wanted to run the idea by the boards once, I know it's been discussed before but I have never been directly involved in a discussion for it. But before I leave this thread I just want to sy, Sakurai did some really, really domb stuff, but stll he did a goood enough job, all we need to do is hold brawl on it's feet until ssb4, if we can do that then maybey the smash competitive world will live, hopefully thrive.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Considering the BS he gave us with Brawl, what makes you think he'll do a better job with SSB4? He clearly thought Brawl was really, really good when it was first released, what its imbalance, campiness, total BS glitches and bugs that were immediately discovered practically upon booting up the game.

He clearly didn't really care that much about giving us a proper Competitive game. What makes you think he won't make it even worse for SSB4? I'm not saying Brawl is worse than Melee, but Sakurai clearly did not have the Competitive market in mind when making Brawl. What makes you think he won't use that same mentality only squared when making SSB4? After all, the Casual players love Brawl.

Many of them even express a demented gratitude over the fact that "glitches like Wavedashing are gone now". Sakurai is notorious for listening to n00bs and scrubs and disregarding anything that doesn't agree with his vision.

He'll probably see a the few people who've expressed appreciation for Tripping and make it even worse.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
This is arguable for 2v2 play not 1v1 play.

1v1 play unfair advantages.

In 2v2 play"check out the items list in tactics section" it could make it to counterpick because many "OVERPOWERING" final smashes can end up killing your ally in the process so it takes much more skill to control a Final smash in 2v2 than 1v1

BTW i hear Ice climbers don't mind tripping as much as they get to desynch

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is arguable for 2v2 play not 1v1 play.

1v1 play unfair advantages.

In 2v2 play"check out the items list in tactics section" it could make it to counterpick because many "OVERPOWERING" final smashes can end up killing your ally in the process so it takes much more skill to control a Final smash in 2v2 than 1v1

BTW i hear Ice climbers don't mind tripping as much as they get to desynch
I really dislike this argument. "Well, it ain't that good if they screw up". No manure, Sherlock.

What if I and my teammate don't KO each other with our Final Smashes? What if we combo into them off of each others' moves? It's not that hard to not KO your teammate with Marth's FS. As Zelda, I can just wait 'til my teammate launches an opponent above him, jump up and Light Arrow them (heck, I could even sacrifice my teammate if I assured me a hit on both opponents as well).

It's not even that hard to not KO your teammate with the Landmaster. Just have them stand on the Landmaster and fire at your opponents, if they try to get on the Landmaster, your teammate can keep them off. If you need to roll around on your opponents, yell at your teammate to jump and Up B and then roll some.

With Sonic's FS, just have your teammate camp a ledge and constantly renew their invincibility. Then fly around back and forth. You cannot control your route entirely but you can control it enough to not hit your teammate.

In other words, yes, you can mess up with FS:es in team play. Good players with good insight into how FS:es work will not a majority of the time. You can mess up with FS:es and overpowered items in Singles as well. That doesn't make them any less overpowered.

What Teams does is make it riskier to screw up with your FS. It doesn't make FS:es any less random, overpowered or broken.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol, I thought this thread was about should Smash Balls be in a tournament..... anyways, I say it should be in a tournament if all the items are in. But if it's a tournment that is based on skills then a Smash Ball is just another powerful item to use.

KenDM

Smash Rookie
You know what I'm asking myself? Can't they bring updates for the game through the Wii Channels?

KenDM

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Please use the search function, this has been discussed before.

:026:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom