• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
oh yeah i forgot about them. ice climbers were really good in both games even though everybody thought they were stupid.

yoshi is bottom tier so far, and in the other two games. he sucks balls.

actually he sucks EGGS!
Yoshi looks more like low tier than bottom tier in Melee, though he is technically bottom tier.

But you're wrong about SSB64. Very wrong.

Yoshi's generally considered a good character in SSB64...many tier lists put him at the very top of middle tier because of his insane DJC combos. Ever seen Prince's Yoshi in action?

Candide

Smash Apprentice
Lucas seems the most probable #22 because of the untapped (due to amount of skill needed) potential of his B-sticking RAR PK combos, bair spike, and aerial combo ability. He takes a while to learn, but once my brother did learn him, I was like "One of the cheapest in the game!!!" every time we played. I am still very surprised to see him so underused and low-rated in general.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Sorry to burst your bubble there, Candide, but there aren't any "PK" combos...PK Fire is mostly used for spacing and / or approaching, but you don't combo with it. PK Thunder and PK Freeze are pretty much useless (and although PK Thunder has its uses, they're not for combo'ing, once again). Also, RAR'ing applies to a lot of characters and isn't hard, so it's not exclusive to Lucas, and nobody really B-sticks too much because C-sticking is critical.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I like Yoshi, but I didn't think to myself "wow, he is packed with potential!". I'm not saying he sucks, but still.

It's going to be Yoshi... I know it.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
IC's r VERY VERY VERY WELL KNOWN for cg's and many players refuse to play vs ic's nontourney as its zero fun.

go vs a good yoshi, hes got 0-60%+ combos, cg's on some chars, insane gimpage, and his recovery isnt as bad as u think. its textbook-ezgimp but any decent yoshi duznt have that hard of a time getting onstage vs most chars. however its prolly not him as they would mention soemthing bout his huge offence and zero defence.

that being said i think its either yoshi or fox. fox has been fairly forgotten about but u cant deny how good he is. a char duznt need huge amounts of techs to req technical skill. fox is a beast period (lulpun) his only downside is his horrible recovery.

also im pretty sure he swallows the eggs, and its an instapoo'd egg so it berely counts as ingestion.
No. he Doesnt, i play a pretty mean yoshi, So i Know his limitations. He can not 0-65 somebody in a single "combo". Maybe if you were playing a n00b. But im a real match no competent opponent would ever let that happen. Stop fooling yourself. He is Bad. NOT THE worst... But bad none-the-less.

PT FTW

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
*Looks at the tier discussion thread...*

That last part screams Yoshi...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Pokemon Trainer. This is because there are NO real character details in the hint. I mean, the character is considered low tier, has potential, and has ATs. Samurai was clearly trying to be as ambiguous as possible.

IDK

Smash Lord
Sorry to burst your bubble there, Candide, but there aren't any "PK" combos...PK Fire is mostly used for spacing and / or approaching, but you don't combo with it. PK Thunder and PK Freeze are pretty much useless (and although PK Thunder has its uses, they're not for combo'ing, once again). Also, RAR'ing applies to a lot of characters and isn't hard, so it's not exclusive to Lucas, and nobody really B-sticks too much because C-sticking is critical.
Except you're wrong tho lol. PK freeze can carry heavies all the way down at low percents. It also does combo because you can hit them while frozen or wait for them to come out and hit them. PK thunder tail can stun people for the thunder hit, or you can stun them, aim the thunder at the ground, then hit them. And yup, LOTS of people bstick. combined with amazing spacing from wavebounce, amazing recovery from zap jump plus magnet pull AND your upb that when correctly aimed can recover from almost anywhere anyway... there are many things you can do with b-sticking and a lot of people do it with lucas. yay.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I was thinking Ice Climbers, but after seeing Yoshi suggested, he does make more sense. It's not PT though.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I was thinking Ice Climbers, but after seeing Yoshi suggested, he does make more sense. It's not PT though.

Candide

Smash Apprentice
(Probably right...)

Except you're wrong tho lol. PK freeze can carry heavies all the way down at low percents. It also does combo because you can hit them while frozen or wait for them to come out and hit them. PK thunder tail can stun people for the thunder hit, or you can stun them, aim the thunder at the ground, then hit them. And yup, LOTS of people bstick. combined with amazing spacing from wavebounce, amazing recovery from zap jump plus magnet pull AND your upb that when correctly aimed can recover from almost anywhere anyway... there are many things you can do with b-sticking and a lot of people do it with lucas. yay.
(Could be right or wrong...)

We'll see... but yes, I fear I have fallen pray to moderator-level reasoning, so let me hazard two other guesses for your analysis, x After Dawn x: how 'bout Weegee or IC? Both seemed to be climbing in respect in Melee even when Brawl came out, and both seem quite unharmed overall in Brawl. Could either start another climb due once again to learning of his/their unique style? (Meanwhile, Yoshi looms as one of the best guesses made by others, which needs no explanation.)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Lucas doesn't need C-stick. There's almost no use for his. His smashes have windup so you're projecting them anyway, and don't care about losing time.
It should be easy to get people with The Stick using good old fashioned control stick smashing.

There's little occasion for doing an aerial in a direction opposed to the one he is moving. Dair's use is while rising, it has no application in side-to-side movement. Uair is instantaneous. And there's no use in retreating fairs.

B-stick is huge for Lucas, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yoshi up. Hint either later today or tomorrow, depending on when I have the time and if I remember.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
...Its getting increasingly difficult to write these hints, especially as the cast of characters whittles down. I had an idea for a new approach to the hints, although whether or not I'll do it for this one remains unclear.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
...Its getting increasingly difficult to write these hints, especially as the cast of characters whittles down. I had an idea for a new approach to the hints, although whether or not I'll do it for this one remains unclear.
Why not test trial it? Nearly half of the 37 characters (If Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS are seperate and PKT's 3 chars are together) have been done and as difficult as it is I for one would be interested to see something new and fresh

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
GUIZ GUIZ I PRECALL NEXT 1 IS GONA B YOSHI!

sorry, but someone just had to do it.

I have played every smash game up to date (even though I didn't know about the competitive scene until late melee) and I have yet 2 play even a decent yoshi. :/

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i kind of hope they do pt last, so trainers have more time to improve and show pt up at tourneys.

Top Bottom