• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

-NiKo-

Smash Rookie
canada, montreal ( EST) add me! 1v1, no items, any
Since snake and toon link have been said.. i'll guess .. diddy kong! .. he has good close combat and his bananas have alot of mindgame potential, and everyone i see play him does not play the same way.
His recovery is pretty amazing, but if u hit him during it, it takes a while to redo.

no other guesses..

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well its think is amazing, but I dont think Olimar even qualifies for that either.

I think R.O.B. is a good bet. His recovery definitely fits the bill of appearing "amazing" and its relatively easy to stop since it is slow. His long range game is quite strong with his Laser and Gyro's and hes got a strong close range game as well. His moves are a bit more difficult to read than most characters as well because of the strange delays and momentum with several of his aerials, and a lot of his ground attacks look quite similar.

Lucas is my other bet. Hes definitely hard to read on several of his moves, especially his aerials, and he has a lot of fast attacks as well. His mindgames are definitely top notch and his recovery distance is actually quite far if you can manage to master it and it is also easy to stop (just *attack* his PK Thunder). He defintiely also has a strong close range and long range game as well.

Either way right now I think our best clues (practically our only ones) is a strong long range game and an easily gimped, though effective (in terms of distance) recovery. This especially holds true since many characters with a strong long range game have strong mindgames as well.

I think that the only characters that could really qualify for this are as follows:

Lucario
Zelda
Lucas
Samus
R.O.B.
Toon Link

I think that a few other characters might qualify, but I dont have enough experience with them at all to say how good their long range game actually is.

Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Snake
King DeDeDe

Anyone else I excluded because I didnt feel they had a recovery that would be "thought" as good even if it really wasnt, or they lacked a halfway decent longrange attack.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's Lucario. Spamming baby aura spheres works great over long range, and so far everyone who uses him has their own playstyle due to his moves always exhibiting a certain "versatility" allowing a plethora of options in dozens of situations, allowing everyone to utilize each move in their own way, completely unlike most everyone else's matches that are pretty much completely scripted. Lucario's movement is extremely hard to predict due to his variety of momentum-affecting moves and specials, allowing for fakeout possibilities and his extremely deceiving reach thanks to the aura. He also seems to have insane recovery options with his unusual floatiness, wallclinging, and ExtremeSpeed-to-Wallcling (who needs ledges!?), but it's extremely gimpable due to not doing any damage at all (strangely, since ExtremeSpeed is supposed to be a much, much more powerful version of Quick Attack), a very annoying and very long start-up lag (I can't tell you how many times I've been spiked during it), and that it really doesn't go THAT far, especially if you curve it. D:

Pit won't work very well for this description. Pit has only two methods of play, air offense & gimping, and defensive camping, really. His moves are mostly situational or defensive(although **** good in those situations), and he's really good at long range, but he lacks approaches and versatility, aside from his arrows which have just been discovered to do some pretty neat things. His recovery is amazing but gimpable, yes, and his arrows are the ultimate distraction and really cool to watch (mindgamez?) but really he lacks in playstyle variation.

Snake may fit this description to a point, but not as well as Lucario. His moves don't have the same kind of versatility, and his recovery isn't THAT gimpable due to grabbing his cypher being much harder than it looks if they know it can be grabbed, thanks to that annoying super armor.

ROB may fit, but again not as well as Lucario, but only by a slight margin. ROB is almost as versatile as Lucario, has seemingly great recovery, and great at long range. However, his recovery is INCREDIBLY hard to gimp despite his so called "obvious flaw" of the gas refueling.

Nobody fits this as well as Lucario.

...But I swear I'll laugh my *** off if it turns out to be Link.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Actually Lucario fits very well too imo. He definitely has one of the most unpredictable playing styles of any character, because you can pretty much invent a good playing style for him as long as you know your combos and can stick to what you do well. Every Lucario you play will likely be noticably different from the last.

Grandeza

Smash Master
It's either Diddy or Pit for next week. I think it's Pit but I hope it's Diddy.

edit- actually Lucario fits this very well too. Each Lucario plays so differently. My friend(who mains Lucario) always says his recovery is godly with wall clinging and good up b distance but it's countered with an edgehog.He can play long and close range due to aura sphere.

Diddy Kong fits it because Diddy Kong can be played in many different ways. His nanners add a whole new depth to his mindgames. Also his recovery is insane but if he's hit it takes a long time before he's able to use it again. His nanners and peanut gun allow him to have long range combat. He has tons of potential for close range as well.

Pit I don't have much experience with. All I know is his recovery is great but one hit and he has to land before he can use it again. Light arrows add to long range camping and he could fight up close.
[/rant]

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont think its Snake, his recovery is way too easy to gimp for anyone to think its amazing. The startup time doesnt allow much for realignment so you can avoid the lip of stages like Final Destination and Battlefield since if you try to fall away from the stage, by the time you are far enough out to make sure you dont get stuck, you are likely to die. Plus he can get knocked off the Cypher easily with a strong attack and any good aerial characer can take advantage of that quite readily.

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
Do you think you know how to play against this character? Think again. It seems like this character has a playstyle unique to every user, and its difficult to get a read on how they move.
Easily could be Zero Suit Zamus because of the many different combos available to utilize, it allows for different combos
This character is effective at both long range and short range, and has mindgames that will put even the best players to shame.
Stun, Side B, Down B, Up B, Up smash, throws for long, Tilts, jabs, for short.
But this character has a recovery that, although many people think is quite amazing, is easily countered.
This really doesn't fit Zamus (tough she does have a great recovery). It points directly at Pit.

I'm wishing it is Zamus but it is probably Pit.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
The recovery thing points to a few characters, most specifically I would say it points to Pit and Zelda, with R.O.B. probably following as the next best option for that description. I personally think that Lucario also fits, but not nearly as well as the others and also Lucas as well since he really does get some amazing distance (especially compared to Ness) from his PKT2.

Im finding myself leaning more towards Lucario everytime I see the mention of a playstile unique to just about every user, since hes one of the few characters that has many effective ways to play and many ways to incorporate all of those styles into further variations. Zero Suit Samus really has ONE objective and that is to stun you and damage you, and then stun you and kill you (not the she cant do that effectively or anything), but her playing style is definitely limited by her KO ability, unless of course you like working your opponent until they are at 150% or higher damage.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Ugh has anyone called Snake yet? Im pretty sure he fits the bill
-Range: Grenades, c4, u-smash, dash attack, missile
-Close combat: A,A,A, f-tilt, dash attack, u-smash, f-smash
-Mindgames: D-smash mines, u-smash, mortar sliding, c4, down throw
-good recovery: his recovery takes him very high, somewhat far, and has SAF. But is easily countered by a throw, and does no damage so can be edguarded and can leave Snake open for attack.
And there are many ways to play Snake, mortar sliding, grenade&missile spam, lots of f-tilt, mindgames with mines

estion11

Smash Apprentice
Im guessing it's either snake or pit. ROBs recovery is always the **** i dont see a way to easily counter it when you can just float there and bludgeon attackers with fairs or neutral Bs. Final guess for the next character- Snake.

....and im still facepalming for not thinking of G&W

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I guess R.O.B. is a bit tough to gimp because he can use it until its out of fuel and attack to defend himself. Im definitely against Snake though, as I never saw his recovery for anything other than total crap since I got stuck under the ledge too many times when I was trying to learn him. I think most players of him would agree his recovery isnt close to what can be called amazing. Pit's though, definitely will wow anyone who doesnt realize quickly that it really actually sucks. I still think that Zelda also qualifies for sure with the recovery, since the distance she covers is still quite amazing and most people who pick up Brawl will think its good without realizing the end point can easily be anticipated and the attack punished if she does anything but sweetspot the ledge, which is somewhat difficult to do without gimping yourself.

KingLamb

Smash Rookie
i dunno if i am off by alot but i am guessing its Lucario. He is good at short range fighting and has alot of range on his attacks plus aura sphere, he can be played offensively or defensively and switch between them in game, and for his recovery it can be easily edge hogged and lucario may die if he cant wall cling to anything.

Wuss

Smash Champion
imo, it's definitely snake. He has great variety in play styles, and he has insane melee attacks as well as great range in the grenade. Some think his recovery is good cause it goes pretty far, but it's not too hard to hit him out of it...
I say snake.

ikesonroids

Smash Rookie
snake fo sho, i think he has the the greatest potential for mindgames out of everyone. he's a perfect fit even tho some of the other mentioned characters fit ok to. im still putting my money on snake tho

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'd put my money on snake, for aforementioned reasons.

I really hope it's not Pit, it's not that hard to see that Pit's recovery is gimpable.

It could be Olimar. His up B looks very cool.... but it is DEFINITELY counterable.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
I think it's Lucario, for some odd reason. A strong projectile (well, at 100%>), very rangy attacks, and some fast attacks. Of course, there are definitely some people who think that his recovery is good, with high (I think) jumps, floatiness, and pretty decent Up B, but the Up B is laggy and can easily be edgehogged or interrupted. if you react fast enough.

Top Bottom