• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash At The Edge: 2-Stock, MK/ICs BANNED - $5 Venue! - November 23rd, 2013 - Kearny, NJ

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
SATE
Smash At The Edge
(SWF doesn't like fonts, but I'll have a logo soon enough!)​

Hi everyone, Ish here! You've probably noticed that we haven't had many Brawl tournaments in NJ lately, most of them are up in New York which kinda destroys wallets because of all the tolls. I'm here to help out with a new series conveniently located right next to Newark.

Everyone is complaining about how ICs are the anti-hype these days, so the main event is going to be Brawl 2-stock singles with MK and ICs BANNED. Yep. The first ICs-banned tournament, I believe. Hype. My goal for the series is to try out slightly modified rulesets that have always had more support than they have had tournaments (hence the 2-stock), so let me know if there's anything new you'd like to try out as a side event.

Speaking of side events, I plan on running at least two. I might add MK-banned doubles if there are enough entrants, but aside from that I'm looking for unconventional things. Let me know if you have any interesting in mind, as of now these are the main options I'm thinking of:

- Brawl Mid-Tiers
- Brawl Stamina Teams
- Melee Low-Tiers

Anyways, on to the formalities!

Date and Times

Saturday, November 23rd, 2013
Venue opens: 10:30am
First event starts: 11:30am
Venue closes: 11:00pm

Venue Information

Gamer's Edge
498 Kearny Ave
Kearny, New Jersey 07032

This place is pretty sweet, covers all the essentials and more:
- Free street parking is easy to find in the area
- The venue sells snacks and whatnot (ex. HotPockets)
- There's pizza and Chinese food pretty close to the venue (5min walk or so)
- Wawa located a short drive away for all your post-tournament cravings
- Livestream capabilities
- $5 VENUE FEE DAMN DOES IT SMELL LIKE 2008 IN HERE OR WHAT

Prices

Venue - $5
- $3 if you bring a Wii, you know you want to!
Main Events - $10
Side Events - $5

Events

Main Events:
  • Singles: 2-stock, MK/ICs Banned
  • Doubles: 2-stock, MK Banned
Side Events:
  • Doubles: Stamina, MK Banned
  • Melee Singles: Low-tiers (Pikachu and below)

Payouts

Doubles
60/30/10

Singles
Under 30 people: 60/30/10
Over 30 people: 55/25/15/5

Rules

General Rules:
  • 2-stocks, 6-minute timer
  • Items set to "off" and "none", team attack set to "on"
  • Meta Knight and Ice Climbers are BANNED
  • Best 2/3 games per set, best 3/5 in Finals (WF/LF/GF)
  • Ledge Grab Limit set to 30 for all characters : In the event of a time-out, if the victor has 30 or more ledge grabs, they forfeit the game. In teams, if one or more players on each team pass the LGL, it is ignored.
  • In the event of a time-out, winner is determined by LGL, then stocks remaining, then %. In the event of a % tie or sudden death, a 1-stock 3-minute rematch with a LGL of 15 will be played on the same stage.
  • Life-stealing is allowed in doubles.
  • Doubles Color Rule: If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
  • The act of stalling is banned! - Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite's, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stages:
  • Starters: Smashville, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise
  • Counterpicks: Final Destination, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Castle Siege, Battleship Halberd, Frigate Orpheon, Delfino Plaza, Pokemon Stadium 1
  • DSR: A player may not counterpick the stage that they last won on in the set.
  • Gentleman's clause: If both you and your opponent agree to do so, you may play on a stage that is banned for the event.
Set Process:
  1. First stage is determined by each player alternately banning stages from the starter list. Higher seed bans second.
  2. Winner of the game bans a stage, then loser selects a stage for the next game.
  3. Winner selects character, then loser selects character. The next game is played.
  4. Steps 2 and 3 are repeated until the set is complete.
Side Event Rules:

Stamina Doubles (Brawl):
  • Stamina is set to 150%
  • Damage Ratio is set to 1.3 to remove infinite chaingrabs that do not exist in standard Brawl
  • Otherwise, rules follow standard Brawl Doubles rules
TBD!

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Bump, event is coming up this weekend! I've been busy with nonsense so I still need to update the OP, but here are the basics:

BRING SETUPS PLEASE! Mostly need Wiis with Brawl, but anything is cool.

Also bring $1 bills if you have them and will be paying the discounted venue fee, just to help us avoid any shortages with change.

Payouts are updated, with estimates based off of how many entrants this tournament will likely have.

There will be a livestream set up, thanks to InternetExplorer! Cool dude. Link and all that will be provided later.

Additional side-events (Brawl mid-tiers, Pokemon X/Y) will be added at the venue if attendants express enough interest.

Schedule
Venue opens: 10:30 am
Brawl Doubles (main event) starts: 12:00 pm
Brawl Singles (main event) starts: 2:30 pm
Melee Low-Tiers (side event) starts: 5:00 pm
Brawl Stamina Doubles (side event) starts: 6:00 pm
Venue closes: 11:00 pm

All sign-ups end 30min before the event starts. If there is enough interest shown for additional side-events, the schedule will be revised.

Main events ($10 entry per person)
Brawl Singles: 2-stock, MK/ICs banned
Brawl Doubles: 2-stock, MK banned

Side events ($5 entry per person)
Brawl Doubles: Stamina (1.3 damage ratio), MK banned
Melee Singles: Low-tiers (Pikachu and under)

Hope to see everyone there :D

:059:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Event is today! The schedule might be slightly delayed while I wait on Keitaro to bring a bunch of TVs. Remember to bring consoles!

:059:

Top Bottom