• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 better than Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Hey, here's a idea.
Who ever says the 64 version is better should be quiet and go play the games themselves.
This thread was unneeded from the get go, just another person *****ing about things no one would care about.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Competitively:
I'd say Brawl has more potential then the 64 did. But that in no means I'm applying that 64 was not as fun. I Actually had more fun with the 64 version despite it's shortcomings. I see Brawl going places in the competitive realm a lot further than 64 could have. With the reduction of sheer technical skill is where real mind games come in to dictate the outcome.

However, we didn't give the game enough time to "get the shrink wrapped smell of it" to actually offer up a fair comparison. More time is needed to gain more perspective on this shiny new game we have.
(Been playing Link on 64 since the game was out and still going strong today playing brawl.)

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Even if Nintendo succeeded in making a PERFECT smash game, 64 would still be the best.
It will ALWAYS be the best.

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
STOP COMPARING 3 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES!!!!

Just because the first 3 words of their names are the same does not mean they are the same game, or even remotely close to the same game. There are many more differences than similarities between them and almost all the arguments in this thread are opinions. This is like trying to compare Halo to Madden.

/rant

and to throw my opinion in, why not play all three? My friends and I still play all three. They are all good games in their own way.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Just because the first 3 words of their names are the same does not mean they are the same game, or even remotely close to the same game. There are many more differences than similarities between them and almost all the arguments in this thread are opinions. This is like trying to compare Halo to Madden.

/rant

and to throw my opinion in, why not play all three? My friends and I still play all three. They are all good games in their own way.
Thank you! Finally some sense!

But melee is more fun than brawl.
This is exactly why this debate is impossible; fun is an important factor in which game you like best, competitiveness is another factor for some. When you debate this, though, everyone says "The game I like better is more fun" which is obviously PURE opinion. Some people may enjoy the SSE more than Adventure mode in Melee, some feel the opposite way. Some people like the simplicity and stages of SSB64 more than the expansiveness and gimmicky stages of Brawl. See? You just can't debate this. Well, you can, but it's a go-nowhere argument.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is better. Much better graphics, one of the best musical collections ever assembled, and with more content than any previous Smash. How can a game with 39 characters(shiek, zamus, other two pokemon) be worse than one with 12? That is a difference of 144 different 1v1 matchups to 1521. That adds so much more depth to the game. Also, you have to also outthink your opponent due to the multiple air dodges. The DI allows more control, giving more interesting strategies, and harder comboing. This just means you have to predict your opponents DI, and punish them for it. Snake is awesone(competes with Ike as my main). I am so glad they added him to the game. Sonic is a cool addition even though he isn't really good, he is still fun to use. I personally enjoy using IC alternating grabs, though I think they are pretty annoying to get caught in one. I wish Ike's counter was a little faster, but I do enjoy using Marths. There's nothing like countering an aether, and never letting Ike get back on stage.
I enjoy that there aren't so many combos in the game. Combo's are now situational rushdowns. Forcing your opponent to airdodge at the wrong time and punishing them. Just cuz you can't do 10 hits all when they have hit stun, it doesn't mean you can't do 10 hits in a row on them :D .
Brawl is awesome, I can't play it enough :D

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Brawl is better. Much better graphics, one of the best musical collections ever assembled, and with more content than any previous Smash. How can a game with 39 characters(shiek, zamus, other two pokemon) be worse than one with 12? That is a difference of 144 different 1v1 matchups to 1521. That adds so much more depth to the game. Also, you have to also outthink your opponent due to the multiple air dodges. The DI allows more control, giving more interesting strategies, and harder comboing. This just means you have to predict your opponents DI, and punish them for it. Snake is awesone(competes with Ike as my main). I am so glad they added him to the game. Sonic is a cool addition even though he isn't really good, he is still fun to use. I personally enjoy using IC alternating grabs, though I think they are pretty annoying to get caught in one. I wish Ike's counter was a little faster, but I do enjoy using Marths. There's nothing like countering an aether, and never letting Ike get back on stage.
I enjoy that there aren't so many combos in the game. Combo's are now situational rushdowns. Forcing your opponent to airdodge at the wrong time and punishing them. Just cuz you can't do 10 hits all when they have hit stun, it doesn't mean you can't do 10 hits in a row on them :D .
You're right on all three of those points; however, you can't say that makes the game better. Smash 64 and Melee have their own advantages to certain groups, even advantages to you. More content doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Now I love all three equally, I'm just trying to make a point here that what you're saying is fact backed up by pure opinion.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Wow, it only took you 2 days to see the light. Impressive lol. One more converted.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Lol, congrats Wolfang for being the first to notice.
As my friends at Dattebayo would say, YHBT. Brawl is awesome, and I only wrote the first post as to parody the many Melee vs Brawl discussions. I love brawl, and play it as often as I can lol. Smash 64 was an awesome game in its own time, but now is the age of Brawl.
I am amazed how many joined the Smash 64 side. I was expecting to get flamed much more.
So if you guys still are confused, yes I like Brawl more than Smash 64, and did before Brawl even came out. I was just having some fun doing a parody of the Melee vs Brawl threads.
Brawl FTW!!!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Lol, congrats Wolfang for being the first to notice.
As my friends at Dattebayo would say, YHBT. Brawl is awesome, and I only wrote the first post as to parody the many Melee vs Brawl discussions. I love brawl, and play it as often as I can lol. Smash 64 was an awesome game in its own time, but now is the age of Brawl.
I am amazed how many joined the Smash 64 side. I was expecting to get flamed much more.
So if you guys still are confused, yes I like Brawl more than Smash 64, and did before Brawl even came out. I was just having some fun doing a parody of the Melee vs Brawl threads.
Brawl FTW!!!
Wolfgang didn't notice it was a parody, I don't think...I think he just thought you were converted, since he did say that.

In any case, this was pointless. If you wanted to write a parody of it, it would've been more effective to make note of that in your original post. The way you did it just feels like you're trying to pull an April Fool's joke, and that doesn't contribute to the forums at all.

I applaud you for making fun of those stupid topics, though, even if you did it in an unorthodox way.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Lol, no I don't take the short bus, but I didn't notice. Maybe I should lighten up. Besides, I haven't seen anyone who truly hates Brawl, they just whine about the change. Yea I was also surprised at how many people supported you though, but more at myself for getting sucked in so easy. I'm going to take a psych. class...

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros 64 is fantastic
Smash Bros Melee is fantastic
Smash Bros Brawl is fantastic

They are different games certainly, but that doesnt mean you should try to prove one is better than the other. If you do that you'll only think about the negatives of each game in comparison to the others.
The time of Brawl has come, but it too will come to an end someday. Thats just how it is.
Count the blessings.

Best101

Smash Ace

/rant

How can you say all three Smash Bros are different games? Main Nintendo characters are fighting against each other, how are they completely different? Please explain.

Little things like differences in Physics, and a few characters more on each one but they are nearly 100% identical dude. It's nothing like comparing Madden to Halo (is Madden a FPS?)

It makes perfect sense to compare these three Smash Bros games.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
How can you say all three Smash Bros are different games? Main Nintendo characters are fighting against each other, how are they completely different? Please explain.

Little things like differences in Physics, and a few characters more on each one but they are nearly 100% identical dude. It's nothing like comparing Madden to Halo (is Madden a FPS?)

It makes perfect sense to compare these three Smash Bros games.
No, Madden is a football game.

I guess that comparison is a little extreme, but just because the basic concept is the same doesn't mean all of the games are.

In any case, comparing the games is pointless, because every one has its own advantage, so comparing them is just a matter of opinion. Pretty much every argument can be refuted by a good point of another game, a bad point of the same game, or "Opinion."

So yes, you can technically compare them, but it's pretty much futile. You're not changing anyone's opinion, and it's not like there are a whole lot of great points you can make anyways.

Roller

Smash Legend
all 3 are frickin sw33t. I just got another N64 just to play the origional again, and the reason i bought wii was entirely because I wanted to be able to get brawl. and gamecube was just beast and i was gettin it anyway but i still got melee right around wen it came out and play all 3 of 'em to this day. All are beastly.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I must say, you completely had me in your rant. I was not going to flame you considering that your post is nothing but all opinion and no one's statements are going to change it. However, I will make some counterpoints about SSB64 as it was a perfect game then, and is a great game now, but does not compete with Brawl (In my opinion!!!!!)

In terms of playstyle, Melee has the most balanced out of the three, and I think many people accept that as a statement of fact. There were plenty of big combos, and occasionally a 0-death combo pops out, but for the most part, the person getting comboed had quite a large amount of options as to how they can get themselves out of it. It allowed for fighting to become as varied as ever, while still allowing comboes.

Brawl went completely on the defensive side. The offensive is limited to a few small comboes and the occasional big combo, but the defensive player has way too many options. There's multiple airdodging, singular air dodging, or straight up attacking- hey, hit stun has gone by the wayside! Punishing attacks isn't really a factor anymore; now it seems that those who are trying to punish end up getting punished themselves. The big thing about Brawl, though, is that you have HUGE amounts of time and space to plan out your attacks, decide what position to take, and how to anticipate your opponents attack. Mindgames really prevail in this game.

SSB64, and I can't believe nobody made a reference to it yet: The goal for SSB64 players is to have their skills to the point where they can create a 0-death combo out of any situation and from any position. Hit stun is so tremendously large in this game that you can keep an opponent in limbo for an entire stock and they cannot do anything about it. No DI, no airdodging, once you get comboed in the air against a competant player, you're done for. Ness' Double-jump cancels are still the most broken thing in Smash Brothers. All the spikes in the game are instant and insanely deadly (Think Ness' spike taking the same amount of time as Melee Falco's spike, with Melee physics). I still feel bad for Link's stage recovery in SSB64.

The gist of this is: Both games have their advantages and shortcomings. Personally, I prefer a game where you have loads of survival options instead of about none. I love Brawl, and I will play Brawl and become competitive at it. You know what? If I actually had people close to me who played Melee, I would say the EXACT same thing about Melee. Then again, it's all a perspective about what is fun for everyone.

Just a note, because I first heard MewtwoKing say this. How can you possibly imagine Brawl coming before SSB64? How in your twisted, distorted minds can a game with 39 characters, 41 stages, a brilliantly performed orchestra, a storyline, and third-party characters come BEFORE a game that had 12 characters, ten stages, barely any music, those horrible graphics, and NO B-SIDE MOVE? It's truly mindboggling.

MetaKnight63

Smash Apprentice
Are you livin' in the Stone Ages!!!?

Brawl is wayyyyyyy better than the 64 version.

You make good points, but I'm sorry to say that you're wrong about characters being one-sided.
It all depends on the skill of the player.

It doesn't matter if they come from third-party games. I think there should have been even more characters than the 35 we have now.

The stages in 64 were just okay. Melee upgraded the stage concept, and Brawl takes it to the next level by letting us create our own stages.

How dare you define Meta Knight as "easy"!!!? It's not easy trying to get KO's. You either have to go after opponents with a high percentage, or work on one with multiple hits and smashes!

The point here is that no character is "EASY", each one takes a different approach;

So for this reason, BRAWL PWNS ALL!!!!!!

Forget 64, it's ******** now!

Zm4rf

Smash Cadet
Kay.

Many people have said this before, but there is no reason to compare Brawl, Melee and 64. They are all Smash Brothers games, am I right? So why don't we just love THEM ALL. After all, if it wasn't for 64, neither Melee OR Brawl would exist. But, what has to be faced, is that 64's era, so to speak, is over.

With the advent of the Wii, N64 shall bite the dust. It was just like SNES. SNES's aren't as popular since teh GCN came out and it's popularity is only on the decline

So, "in conclusion," what _I_ believe--and if you don't want to believe it, whatever--is that one should just play all the Smash games if you love the series and switch back between the games when you get bored. That's what I do; I have my N64, my GCN and my Wii all rigged to one TV and I just switch back and forth.

ADHD

Smash Hero
SMash 64 Sucks. Smash Melee sux. Brawl Rocks.

i agree with ultimario, we all thought melee was crap at firstjust like we do with brawl now. The reason to why people say brawl is crap is because they cant handle learning a new game with new stuff.

In my opinion Brawl is ALREADY more competitive then 64 and melee ever will be.

There we go, pure flaming. Now flame back please. Im bored as hell.
Yeah.... You want to prove your point?

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is always comparing Melee and Brawl, and I think it is unfair that Smash 64 doesn't get a say. Everyone with a brain knows Smash 64 is better than Brawl as a competitive fighting game. None of this air dodging junk. Sure there were less characters, but there were also less junky characters, and none of this 3rd party crap. I mean come on, does Snake really belong in Brawl? He belongs in Brawl just as much as he belongs in a wedding dress. . . well, maybe I should have used a better example since Snake in a wedding dress sounds about right. Dumb Sega characters with cheesy one-liners don't deserve a spot on any fighting roster. In Smash 64 Captain Falcon was a real Captain, not Craptin Falcon like in Brawl. They didn't have stupid characters like Ice Climbers(I mean did Sakurai really think two characters in one was going to work?). Seriously, how lame is alternating chaingrabs. Characters in Smash 64 are much more balanced.
The DI is ridiculously stupid in Brawl. Players can move left and right several times while in the air. Doing full forward hops and completely cancelling the momentum and going backwards just with DI is stupid. Sakurai may as well let the characters fly with the control stick like Sonic's final smash when in the air. Speaking of which, there is a dumb concept. Final Smashes activated by praying that your attacks break the smashball and if you are randomly the lucky winner and get rewarded with a free kill. Really, random factors like that and tripping is another reason Smash 64 is better.
Smash 64 didn't promote all this campy crap like Brawl does. Shields dropping instantly making amazing shield grabs, ridiculously fast projectiles(Falco's laser is many times the fastest Smash 64 projectiles), and doing attacks out of the shield make the game way too defensive. Even things like the down b counters are stupid. "Let me strike a pose, then you can attack me, then I can not get hurt and own you." Really, why would anyone want to create moves that scare people into attacking less? That makes even more camping with projectiles, and if they don't have projectiles you have a couple lame players hopping about using silly DI so they can't hit each other.
Brawl is built to make those who are losing feel better. Pity smashes, Lucario, the lack of big gaps in skill leading to big gaps in victory, easy characters for noobs like Ike, Pit, Kirby, and Metaknight, it is these things that make it so no one "loses" badly as that is how brawl is designed. Smash 64 was made so if your 3 times better than them, then you only lose one out of every 3 stocks you take. Also advanced techniques like the l-cancel, or z-cancel in Smash 64 were removed from Brawl to make the game even easier.
Now the meat of every fighting game. We all know it. It is called the "combo." Now how does Brawl dare be considered a fighting game when it has a serious lack of these. Sure there are a few, but nothing compared to most games. Smash 64 has plenty of mega combos into kills, the way fighting games are supposed to work. Brawl is like rock-paper-scissors. Shield beats atttack, attack beats grab, and grab beats shield. Only problem is that it is a broken rock paper scissors game, cuz shield and grab always win! Grabs own too much, and shields let you attack or grab without getting damaged.
Sure Smash 64 is a bit polygonal, and has bowling alley sound effects, but it didn't have dumb characters, stupid infinites, ridiculous DI, lack of one player owning another, random effects, and boring defensive combat. Clearly Smash 64 is the better game, and that is why I still have Smash 64 hooked to my TV as my go-to choice for any Smash gaming.
I personally liked Smash 64 better than Melee. Melee in my opinion added some of the most terrible characters to the series. The best example I can think of is Pichu, which is basically a masochistic Pikachu who hurts himself with attacks. Whoever thought of the idea to add him was dumb. You already mentioned the randomness of Ice Climbers and some others, and while I personally think the randomness is kinda interesting, it is still pretty random. I also felt that some of the characters were broken like Fox and Falco. I personally played Falco a lot, but still. :p

I also agree with you on items. In my opinion, Smash 64 had balanced items. You could play with them on and still have a competitive fun game. Brawl kind of throws that out the window a bit with some overpowered items. I personally dislike smash balls. They're fun to play with occasionally, but after awhile they get irritating. The great thing about Brawl though is that you can turn the items off, turn them low, or turn certain ones off completely. There are many non-abusive items in Brawl that you can have fun with if you turn them to low.

Now, the combo thing is kind of stupid. Just because Brawl doesn't keep all the genre elements of other fighting games, doesn't mean it's not a fighting game. It's just a very unique fighting game, which is why it sells so well. Personally I like Brawl better than melee, in spite of some of the things you mentioned, because certain characters aren't as broken, you can play people online, the adventure mode's better, there's a massive amount of unlockable stuff in the game...etc.

Granted, you may have a point that certain things in 64 were better, but it's still an inferior game in my opinion. I don't really care about graphics, so that's not the issue for me. I don't really think that everything's as simple as rock-paper-scissors like you say either. There are definitely a few random techniques of certain characters that you can throw in to mix that system up a bit.

I see a lot of people complaining about items, about smash balls, etc. but I don't really see how you can complain about something you can limit or turn completely off.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I also agree with you on items. In my opinion, Smash 64 had balanced items. You could play with them on and still have a competitive fun game. Brawl kind of throws that out the window a bit with some overpowered items. I personally dislike smash balls. They're fun to play with occasionally, but after awhile they get irritating. The great thing about Brawl though is that you can turn the items off, turn them low, or turn certain ones off completely. There are many non-abusive items in Brawl that you can have fun with if you turn them to low.
Yeah, I agree on items. I think part of the reason the items in 64 are the most blanaced is because there are less of them. In Brawl, there are so many items that there are 5 instant KO items (most of the time) (Smash Ball, Dragoon, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Homerun Bat). Items tend to repeat themselves. There are Bumpers and Unira, Bananas and Pitfalls, Crates, Capsules, Party Balls and Barrels, Assist Trophies and Pokeballs, Beam Sword, Star Rod, Fan and Lip's Stick, Motion-Sensor Bomb and Gooey Bomb...I could probably go on, but all of these items function very similarly. Yes, they do different things, but Unira and Bumpers both serve as an obstacle, for example.

My point is that the amount of items is so expansive that there's too much randomness, and they have to be creative and end up coming with more powerful items (as well as some useless ones, *cough* Smoke Ball *cough*). Then, since there are more of the different ones, if you can't pull of a Smash Attack with a Homerun Bat or get close to someone with one of the hammers, you can always target them with the Dragoon or use your Final Smash. There are too many applications, making it easier to KO opponents.

Standard Muffin

Smash Rookie
Then go play Super Smash Bros 64 and shut up. If it's so much better, go to the SUper Smash Bros 64 boards and complain there. We don't need someone telling us how much our game sucks when you can just go play the one you think is better.

Have a nice day.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl has boring defensive gameplay. It's defensive options are so bad, it's worse than parrying in SF3!

vagrantlibertine

Smash Cadet
I am quite literally homeless and travelling Canad
I think all the senseless arguing in this thread is outright silly and a grand waste of everyone's time/effort. No opinion HAS to be better than every other opinion.

Personally, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I think 64 had the greatest "fun" element of all 3 games. There weren't a ******** number number of characters or characters who were subsidiaries of others (Sheik/Zero Suit Samus) It was fairly balanced as far as what each character could do any other (Though I think DK was elected to be the one computer who had to be somewhat less intelligent than the others) And finally, it was SIMPLE, and worked VERY WELL for what it was. No fancy L-Cancelling or D-Dashing, or W-Dashing. No air dodging. Just good, clean and simple fun

In all honesty, there were only 2 very minor things I disliked about 64:

1: You could not turn off items (unless of course I missed that option in the menu, because when I actually sat down to unlock everything in that game i was extremely high on a lethal amount of codeine, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something small like that)

2: The 1.5-3 second delay in grabbing the edge

Otherwise I had loads of fun working people over with Ness, Fox, Link and Samus. And I will agree with whoever it was that said Link seemed to be in his prime in that game, outside of the fact that his whirling blade attack could just as easily (and hilariously) get you killed as much as it could help you

"He certainly has good distance with that move but he's lacking in being able to do much of anything else with it when recovering...."

Fletch

Smash Master
I think all the senseless arguing in this thread is outright silly and a grand waste of everyone's time/effort. No opinion HAS to be better than every other opinion.

Personally, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I think 64 had the greatest "fun" element of all 3 games. There weren't a ******** number number of characters or characters who were subsidiaries of others (Sheik/Zero Suit Samus) It was fairly balanced as far as what each character could do any other (Though I think DK was elected to be the one computer who had to be somewhat less intelligent than the others) And finally, it was SIMPLE, and worked VERY WELL for what it was. No fancy L-Cancelling or D-Dashing, or W-Dashing. No air dodging. Just good, clean and simple fun

In all honesty, there were only 2 very minor things I disliked about 64:

1: You could not turn off items (unless of course I missed that option in the menu, because when I actually sat down to unlock everything in that game i was extremely high on a lethal amount of codeine, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something small like that)

2: The 1.5-3 second delay in grabbing the edge

Otherwise I had loads of fun working people over with Ness, Fox, Link and Samus. And I will agree with whoever it was that said Link seemed to be in his prime in that game, outside of the fact that his whirling blade attack could just as easily (and hilariously) get you killed as much as it could help you

"He certainly has good distance with that move but he's lacking in being able to do much of anything else with it when recovering...."
1. Techniques such as "L-canceling" are in Smash64.
2. You can obviously turn off items, I hope that was a joke.
3. Link is absolutely awful in Smash64, mainly because of his recovery.

vagrantlibertine

Smash Cadet
I am quite literally homeless and travelling Canad
@Fletch:

1: Like I said, when I sat down to play/unlock everything in Smash 64 I was extremely high on a lethal amount of codeine. So I'm not surprised I would have missed a minor detail like turning of items

2: Excuse me for not knowing 1 tiny thing. I didn't know L-Cancelling was in 64, it didn't appear to me that it was advanced/technical enough to have that sort of thing. Though now that I know it does, I'm all the better at that game too

3: Link isn't that bad, but I did prefer Ness, Samus and Fox over him

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
this is one senseless thread that will get you nowhere, sure I'd say SSB64 is a WAY better game than Brawl, but i'm not going around and complaining about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom