• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Worldwide: An Online Tournament With A $1000 Prize Pool

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
With the release of Smash 4, it's no surprise that Smash Tournaments have been expanding. Normally offline tournaments are much larger then those online. Smash 4 Worldwide flips that statement on its head.
On Sunday, January 18th E2C and Hypest will be teaming up to host Smash 4 Worldwide the largest Smash 4 online tournament to date with a prize pool of $1000 being provided by sponsor RTGN.TV. To top it off, it costs NOTHING to compete. You also read that right, no entry fee. With over 300 sign ups thus far including names like Zero, Cyve, Mr R, and Mr E, the competition looks like it will be fierce. With open sign ups and no cap of players this looks like it will be the largest online tournament for Smash Wii U hosted to date, and possibly the largest tournament period!

Smash 4 Worldwide Payouts
1st Place: $500

2nd Place: $300
3rd Place: $200

For more information on the event, you can check out the listing for the event here on Smashboards. Sign ups for the event will be available until 2 hours before the event begins, so you can get in early or wait to see if you'll be available. Clear your calendars for the 18th and get ready for some serious online Smash!

SmashCapps is pretty excited for this event, maybe it's because he's one of the TO's who helping to host it! To follow all of his tournament hosting exploits or just help him be less lonely on his twitter account you can follow him by visiting SmashCapps on Twitter.

Sherby

Smash Rookie
As the EU streamer for Hypest Tournaments, I'm looking forward to potentially streaming and commentating some of the EU games, as well as working alongside the other fantastic commentators!

GET HYPE

IggyD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iggy524
Will there be another one soon? I'm going to be out of town that day =[

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
:crazy: I forgot I live somewhat near mew2king, if I fight him round 1 I'm done for sure.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Will there be another one soon? I'm going to be out of town that day =[
Likely not soon, considering the sheer size of this one. The /r/smashbros subreddit typically has 64 cap online tourneys every weekend for either 3DS or Wii U, though.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I really dont wanna face a bunch of wifi Diddys

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
First massive online tournament of Sm4sh eh...? It's Wario time! :wario:

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
There are bound to be hiccups, there's no way around lag and such. But minus those kinds of unavoidable things everything should run well.
Lag isn't what I'm talking about. There have been online tournaments since the inception of Smash 64 emulation. But a constant problem in all online tournaments is simply attendance. Matches get delayed because people don't respond in time, or people simply aren't available. Things like that get in the way.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Lag isn't what I'm talking about. There have been online tournaments since the inception of Smash 64 emulation. But a constant problem in all online tournaments is simply attendance. Matches get delayed because people don't respond in time, or people simply aren't available. Things like that get in the way.
Or salty players trying to BS results and argue about it for the sake of trolling.

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
With a prize of 500$ hopefully nobody hacked the game already with intent of using higher knockback or lag cancel hacks or lag hacks or whatever. Also I bet people are going to start microwaving their routers now to win this tournament.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Hyped for this! Should be an awesome experience.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
The lag will be real in certain cases, but it's awesome to finally be able to compete in a tournament from the comfort of my home :dazwa:

D

Deleted member

Basically Japanese and suburban nine year olds versus ZeRo.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
As the EU streamer for Hypest Tournaments, I'm looking forward to potentially streaming and commentating some of the EU games, as well as working alongside the other fantastic commentators!

GET HYPE
The Hypest Coin tournament was super fun. This looks like it'll be super crazy. I've already registered. I do not want to miss out on this event.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I predict:

A lot of lag and delay johns. Maybe a dash of grime and salt.

I can't participate because I don't own a Wii U, but I am eager to follow the progress of this tournament. :)

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
An online tournament system is nice - but hope we'll get a normal knockout system than one that players gain score.

And will there be an offline version for parties? Or do we have to bring pen and paper to play a video game?

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman

Events2Compete

Smash Journeyman
That's why we have a system setup where you report to the T.O. for each bracket if your opponent is unresponsive at any time. If they don't respond within the allotted time frame, you would advance.

version15

Smash Rookie
There are bound to be hiccups, there's no way around lag and such. But minus those kinds of unavoidable things everything should run well.
I've been in plenty of online tournaments, for other games at least. Things will be fine provided they are organized well. Its really an overdramatization that online tournaments cant go well when so many have before.

Top Bottom