• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 - Weight Rankings

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I woke up really scared.

I thought rage gene would have affected all these percentages in training mode

But then I tested it and apparently rage gene does no extra knockback in training mode.

Go figure.
Aerodrome I haven't seen you post much before now, possibly due to you joining smashboards while I was gone but your adorable, no homo.

You give us the facts we need and your dedicated, thank you.

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but with no c-stick it's really hard to tell if you are charging a smash slightly or not. Using a kill tilt like megaman's uptilt would be strictly better regarding scientific method to determine character weights in training mode.

As an aside, there's no rage mechanic in training mode?? I guess it could confuse players that didn't take the time to refresh their health to 0% when they test things... Pretty crazy though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but with no c-stick it's really hard to tell if you are charging a smash slightly or not. Using a kill tilt like megaman's uptilt would be strictly better regarding scientific method to determine character weights in training mode.

As an aside, there's no rage mechanic in training mode?? I guess it could confuse players that didn't take the time to refresh their health to 0% when they test things... Pretty crazy though.
It was probably done with a fully charged smash attack. Which is probably much easier than a move with a sour spot and a sweet spot.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

Praise the Lord I'm using a tilt attack to test these.

Also if I test smash attacks, I do it in 1/4 speed.

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Is there a reason you aren't being transparent with your testing method aerodrome? The data is the same regardless, worst case scenario people see holes in your method you may have missed. It seems like a difficult thing to test though, seeing how fall speed should affect results in a hard to determine fashion. This isn't the first smash game though, I'm sure you know what's up.

Thanks for taking the time to determine this stuff, btw.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
To gain the true weight list I used MtwoK's method of Falco ftilt vs metal opponent and recording the numbers they were knocked down at.

After a while I realised that the numbers were exactly the same as Brawl's for 80% of the cast, so I made the assumption that Falco ftilt has the same BKB and KBG in Smash 4 as it does in Brawl.

To gain weights that aren't in Brawl (like New Bowser, Bowser Jr. etc) I hacked the weight into Brawl and compared results, if they were the same, then it had to be the programmed weight.

Example: New Bowser gets knocked down at 395%, whereas old Bowser got knocked down at 374%, I estimated about 8 points difference, hacked Brawl Bowser's weight to 128 and then Brawl Bowser started to get knocked down at 395%.

It's then a logical conclusion that's how it works.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hey @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer apparently, one of WFT's Deep breathing customs allows her to increase her hit taking durability to some extent. Wanna check it out to see if there's a weight change if you haven't already?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
YouTube, channel name "TubeChau" they have a video which shows WFT's (lulzy) custom specials. (Can't share YT links on my mobile potato.) It's the final custom shown, so just skip to near the end of the video of it on their channel. It mentions something about increased durability, but it isn't visually highlighted much in the vid.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Did you check both vertical and horizontal weights? Or just the average?

What did you do in training mode? Did you test both vertical and horizontal weights?
This is a "true" weight list.

Basically the weight that's programmed in the game.

I don't have time to test horizontal or vertical weights and justified my decision that a true weight list would be more helpful to the community at this point in time to get a general feel for who's a fat f*** and who isn't.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
There's a long text file of trophy descriptions being circulated around which can be read here. However, there's one description in particular that's very interesting:
Bowser's beloved, spoiled son sports a bandanna with a large mouth drawn on it. Like his father, Bowser Jr. longs to take Mario down. In Smash Bros., he'll fight from inside his heavily armed Junior Clown Car. The Clown Car takes less damage than Bowser Jr., so mind your positioning.
That last line is the interesting part. If the Koopa Clown Car takes less damage (at least from what the description claims), there might also be the possibility of it taking less knockback. Hitting Bowser Jr and hitting the Clown Car holding Bowser Jr might use different weights. If you have the time, I might test that possibility. Or, if there's something I'm fundamentally missing about weight calculation, nevermind.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Is it saying there's a difference between being in or out of car or between Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings?

I've already tested Bowser Jr. out of Clown Car and in Clown Car for weight differences and they seem to be the same.

Edit:

Maybe after Up B'ing there's a small damage modifier? I'll have to look into it.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I think it's saying either out of the Koopa Clown Car or if you hit Bowser Jr. without hitting the rest of the clown car. Not completely certain myself.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Bowser Jr. out of a clown car took 12% from my Bowser Up Tilt.

wait

hold up

Bowser Jr. seems to be taking extra damage from attacks permanently

wtf?

Now he's taking less damage

wtf

help

Ok, this probably makes Bowser Jr.'s weight incorrect, I'll have to retest

Edit: Im sleep, I'll check it out later

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Oi, I really shouldn't be surprised at Little Mac being that light, but I am. I guess he truly will float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. :denzel:

Last edited:

sm0kemonster

Smash Rookie
Why on Earth is Rosalina so light? ...Could it be because she's an Outer Space Queen? Or to balance out her Luma power?

Seriously, she's a heavy in Mario Kart. What is the logic behind this?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Bowser Jr. out of a clown car took 12% from my Bowser Up Tilt.

wait

hold up

Bowser Jr. seems to be taking extra damage from attacks permanently

wtf?

Now he's taking less damage

wtf

help

Ok, this probably makes Bowser Jr.'s weight incorrect, I'll have to retest

Edit: Im sleep, I'll check it out later
Answer to your question: according to his trophy description, the armor from Bowser Jr.'s clown car means that he takes less damage if the car is hit as opposed to if he is hit. I'm not sure if this affects knockback in any way.

EDIT: Exact translated trophy description, for reference:

"Bowser's beloved, spoiled son sports a bandanna with a large mouth drawn on it. Like his father, Bowser Jr. longs to take Mario down. In Smash Bros., he'll fight from inside his heavily armed Junior Clown Car. The Clown Car takes less damage than Bowser Jr., so mind your positioning."

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Why on Earth is Rosalina so light? ...Could it be because she's an Outer Space Queen? Or to balance out her Luma power?

Seriously, she's a heavy in Mario Kart. What is the logic behind this?
Mario Kart is Mario Kart, Smash is Smash. Her weight in a kart game have nothing to with her weight in Smash. Plus, I think the reason she is light in Smash is the same reason Palutena isn't heavy, even though she does look like a heavy character: Balancing issues. If Rosalina and Palutena were heavy, they could possibly be too overpowered . Lastly, it is a video game, logic doesn't apply to video games.

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
Olimar dropped down by three points, huh? Scares me a bit, but maybe I can pair that with our new DI to escape early combos and damage. Could anyone relate three points of weight to percentage difference? Like, if Olimar would normally die to a Fox Usmash at 90% in Brawl, would he now die to the same at 87%? Even lower? Forgetting about other factors such as DI and rage and whatnot. Help the layman here a bit.

Thanks to everyone gathering this information, and thanks for doing the tests @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer .

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Olimar dropped down by three points, huh? Scares me a bit, but maybe I can pair that with our new DI to escape early combos and damage. Could anyone relate three points of weight to percentage difference? Like, if Olimar would normally die to a Fox Usmash at 90% in Brawl, would he now die to the same at 87%? Even lower? Help the layman here a bit.

Thanks to everyone gathering this information, and thanks for doing the tests @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer .
It would probably be lower than 87%, but since he has such a buffed recovery, plus since VI seems to be stronger than DI it would probably be a bit later in comparison. I don't know actual numbers though. Plus now there's rage to think about which might cause you to die earlier or later.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Using a 10% base damage move and hitting Bowser Jr.'s head hurtbox gave me these numbers (when used repeatedly):

From this, I conclude that Bowser Jr. has a 1.15× multiplier from attacks that hit his face.

I think his body hurtbox also has a multiplier that is lower than normal.

I will attempt to find it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Using a 12% base damage move and hitting Boozer Jr.'s clown car gave me these numbers:

From this, I conclude his clown car hurtbox has a 0.88× multiplier from attacks that hit his sad car.

Will retest his weight now,

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Using a 12% base damage move and hitting Boozer Jr.'s clown car gave me these numbers:

From this, I conclude his clown car hurtbox has a 0.88× multiplier from attacks that hit his sad car.

Will retest his weight now,

So how does it work? If you hit his body at all it does full damage? Or is it the other way around? (If you hit his clown car at all it does 0.88x damage).

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So how does it work? If you hit his body at all it does full damage? Or is it the other way around? (If you hit his clown car at all it does 0.88x damage).
Bowser_Jr_NSMBU.png

Pretend this is Smash 4 Bowser Jr.

If you hit the yellow zone, your damage is multiplied by 0.88. If you hit the blue zone, it's multiplied by 1.15

If you hit the bob-omb, it explodes. ;__;

Edit: If you're asking what takes priority if you hit both zones, I'm not sure. Probably the blue zone.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
View attachment 25819

Pretend this is Smash 4 Bowser Jr.

If you hit the yellow zone, your damage is multiplied by 0.88. If you hit the blue zone, it's multiplied by 1.15

If you hit the bob-omb, it explodes. ;__;

What if you hit both, is it the first one hit?

Edit: Just read your edit. Ummm, I would guess it's probably the blue one or the first one hit. At least that's how I'd do it if I were Sakurai.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I've retested using equipment that lowers my damage output so I do proper damage to Jr.

Bowser Jr.'s real weight is 115

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
He is on a floating ship with cannon balls, bombs, forks, hammers, wheels, wings :p.
Yes, but keep in mind that his weight doesn't change when he ejects from the ship - only the damage modifier. Therefore, it can be safely assumed that the Junior Clown Car is composed of Helium.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
lol at super light Shulk being lighter than Jigglypuff, while his shield stances are both significantly heavier than anyone else

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The 1.15x multiplier doesn't affect weight, but we'll be able to kill him earlier than a natural 115 weight opponent (as if he was 107.5)?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
That'll make Bowser Jr. a very interesting character to fight against considering his hitbox is so tiny.

I think a lot of Jr. mains will be trying to influence where their opponents can hit Jr. so that they can hit the car.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The 1.15x multiplier doesn't affect weight, but we'll be able to kill him earlier than a natural 115 weight opponent (as if he was 107.5)?
I... guess so? Actually that makes a lot of sense although I'm not certain if that's exactly how this works.

Top Bottom