• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Update 1.10 Coming Friday 7/31!

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I hope to post my full comments on this article's topic later, but @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , you might want to mention in the title that some of this article's comments have spoilers related to the leak. I avoided the July 29, 2015 'leak' article and hoped to mainly concentrate on this article (also with the hope that any 'leak news' discussion would be relegated to the other article), but I still wound up encountering spoilers related to the leak. I guess even with forums' news comments, you have to be wary of leaks all around.. >_>

Thanks in advance for taking this issue into consideration.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Lucas and Wolf say hi.

Seriously guys, King K. Rool being a costume does not mean he's not gettting in. Honestly, I this makes his inclusion even more likely. Think about it. Nintendo wouldn't release a costume of a character if they didn't think it would sell. So clearly, Nintendo still thinks King K. Rool is relevant, even though he hasn't been in a game in a while. Considering that's many people's biggest point to why he won't make it, I think this makes the case for the big guy all the more stronger.
This whole post is debunked by Chrom being a Mii fighter costume.

It's cool if you guys are excited about K. Rool, but be honest with yourselves. There's a pattern with the Mii fighter costumes in that there are all characters that aren't planned to be DLC in the game. Heihachi from Tekken, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, Megaman EXE and Zero from Megaman, Chrom from Fire Emblem... King K. Rool from Donkey Kong. And more. Sorry to say, but a piece of a Meta Knight costume--a character who has already been in Smash and was clearly going to return (aside from Mewtwo and Ice Climbers, all of the characters who didn't return for the next game were clones. There are few clones who have returned for the following game, so Lucas and Wolf aren't the strongest counter evidence)--is of no proof that there is still hope for K. Rool, at least not stronger than the opposing argument.

There are no Mewtwo Mii costumes, nor are there ones for Lucas, Roy, or Ryu. Keep up your wishful thinking, but you'd feel better if it was based on something better than a Meta Knight mask.

Anyway, now that we know K. Rool is out, let's please all vote for Crash Bandicoot repeatedly until October.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
This whole post is debunked by Chrom being a Mii fighter costume.

It's cool if you guys are excited about K. Rool, but be honest with yourselves. There's a pattern with the Mii fighter costumes in that there are all characters that aren't planned to be DLC in the game. Heihachi from Tekken, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, Megaman EXE and Zero from Megaman, Chrom from Fire Emblem... King K. Rool from Donkey Kong. And more. Sorry to say, but a piece of a Meta Knight costume--a character who has already been in Smash and was clearly going to return (aside from Mewtwo and Ice Climbers, all of the characters who didn't return for the next game were clones. There are few clones who have returned for the following game, so Lucas and Wolf aren't the strongest counter evidence)--is of no proof that there is still hope for K. Rool, at least not stronger than the opposing argument.

There are no Mewtwo Mii costumes, nor are there ones for Lucas, Roy, or Ryu. Keep up your wishful thinking, but you'd feel better if it was based on something better than a Meta Knight mask.

Anyway, now that we know K. Rool is out, let's please all vote for Crash Bandicoot repeatedly until October.
Mewtwo, Lucas, and Ryu were all planned DLC before the ballot was even announced. Nintendo has absolutely no control over who gets voted for in the ballot. The smash ballot is NOT planned out. And there was an overwhelming consensus that Lucas and Wolf would make it back, semi-clones or not. So no, Nintendo putting in a costume for K. Rool does not diminish his chances. Also, who's to say that any of the characters that are currently costumes could get in through the ballot if they had the fan support? But if you want to talk about unlikely characters, go on about Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Mewtwo, Lucas, and Ryu were all planned DLC before the ballot was even announced. Nintendo has absolutely no control over who gets voted for in the ballot. The smash ballot is NOT planned out. And there was an overwhelming consensus that Lucas and Wolf would make it back, semi-clones or not. So no, Nintendo putting in a costume for K. Rool does not diminish his chances. Also, who's to say that any of the characters that are currently costumes could get in through the ballot if they had the fan support? But if you want to talk about unlikely characters, go on about Crash Bandicoot.
Sure, K. Rool can get in via Smash Ballot but that's probably the only way. He's certainly not planned to be DLC based on this Mii fighter costume pattern.

But yes, make sure you go vote for Crash. Multiple times, if you can. Thanks!

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Sure, K. Rool can get in via Smash Ballot but that's probably the only way. He's certainly not planned to be DLC based on this Mii fighter costume pattern.

But yes, make sure you go vote for Crash. Multiple times, if you can. Thanks!
Of course we're referring to the ballot. I don't think there was anyone who thought K Rool was planned DLC. K Rool has been one of the most talked about candidates for the ballot, and is almost certainly in the top three voted. Also, bashing one of the most popular ballot candidates and then asking people to vote for a character with significantly smaller chances isn't exactly a good way to convince people.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Of course we're referring to the ballot. I don't think there was anyone who thought K Rool was planned DLC. K Rool has been one of the most talked about candidates for the ballot, and is almost certainly in the top three voted. Also, bashing one of the most popular ballot candidates and then asking people to vote for a character with significantly smaller chances isn't exactly a good way to convince people.
If people were talking about the Smash Ballot, they wouldn't be concerned that he wouldn't make it in if he won because of the Mii costume. And you're also just pretty much guessing about the ballot placings.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
If people were talking about the Smash Ballot, they wouldn't be concerned that he wouldn't make it in if he won because of the Mii costume. And you're also just pretty much guessing about the ballot placings.
People shouldn't be concerned that the costume impacts their chances, but some are because they view it as a form of disapproval from Nintendo. Also while K Rool's popularity might be a guess, it's one backed up by several poles and surveys. The sheer number of replies and views on the K Rool support thread is evidence right there. Also, if you weren't talking about the ballot, then why in the world are you asking people to switch their vote to Crash?

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I personally think the ballot was a stupid idea. People keep saying they want K. Rool in Smash, but what really matters (IMO) is will you play him? I feel like K. Rool will be Mewtwo 2.0. Everybody wanted him in Smash 4, but he ended up sucking competitively so he was quickly forgotten. What's the point of wasting your time with something such as that? I'd much rather see Ayumi, Issac, or Chibi-Robo. All of which are Nintendo franchises yet to be acknowledge in the roster.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Mii Fighter costumes are the easiest way to invalidate a character's potential for release as DLC.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I personally think the ballot was a stupid idea. People keep saying they want K. Rool in Smash, but what really matters (IMO) is will you play him? I feel like K. Rool will be Mewtwo 2.0. Everybody wanted him in Smash 4, but he ended up sucking competitively so he was quickly forgotten. What's the point of wasting your time with something such as that? I'd much rather see Ayumi, Issac, or Chibi-Robo. All of which are Nintendo franchises yet to be acknowledge in the roster.
There are still a ton of Mewtwo fans who play the character, even though he's bad. The K. Rool fans will still play as their character, even if he is bad. Furthermore, you are completely ignoring the vast amount of players who do not care about competitive viability. Also, we have no idea how good a character could be in Smash Brothers so that's irrelevant.

Nintenbro_Zeke

Smash Rookie
K. Rool fans feeling what Inkling fans felt with the goddamn ugly Inkling Mii costumes.
inklings have been around for what? less than a year. King K. Rool has been around for DECADES. If anything K. Rool fans are getting hurt more.

But theres still hope from the Smash ballout! Just gotta keep voting!

netorare

Smash Rookie
NNID
armadillomon
Japanese Smash Bros. twitter just announced Lloyd Irving, Flying Man, and Bear Mii costumes. Looks like more are being revealed tomorrow when the update drops as well.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings

People were joking about other characters people wanted in would become costumes.. well.. I'm sorry. :O
I don't think this automatically deconfirms anything though.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The difference is that there are no DLC fighters that have been released as Mii fighter costumes but a lot of Mii fighter costumes of characters who will never be DLC fighters.
I don't see why fighters and DLC fighters have to be so different here. Meta Knight had a Mii costume before he was actually announced. Also, as people have pointed out, the smash ballot isn't even planned or anything. You simply cannot say that K. Rool isn't going to be in, because Nintendo/Sakurai haven't even decided yet whether or not he will be!

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
Ok for those the people who keep using the Meta Knight excuse let me just tell you that it is a strong defense but here's what I think, all the costumes for the characters on game are pretty much all the costumes from the Mii Plaza there are no original costumes from smash bros other than the spinoff Mega Man costumes, other than that all the other character Mii costumes seem to be transferred from the Mii Plaza, so those saying "But Meta Knights Costume" may not have the best argument

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I don't see why fighters and DLC fighters have to be so different here. Meta Knight had a Mii costume before he was actually announced. Also, as people have pointed out, the smash ballot isn't even planned or anything. You simply cannot say that K. Rool isn't going to be in, because Nintendo/Sakurai haven't even decided yet whether or not he will be!
Dude I'm just pointing out the very obvious and clear patterns and implications with the Mii costumes. Shouldn't be upset at me, you should be upset at Nintendo. He's clearly not planned to be DLC at all, just like Chrom and Lloyd Irving.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Dude I'm just pointing out the very obvious and clear patterns and implications with the Mii costumes. Shouldn't be upset at me, you should be upset at Nintendo
I don't see any "patterns" here. Many Mii fighter costumes won't be playable. Many already are playable, however. If it was an "obvious and clear pattern", there wouldn't be as many exceptions as there are (namely, Meta Knight, Link, and all the other Mii costumes that are also playable characters).

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Mewtwo was an experiment, of course he would be garbage. I would love to see those 3 in Smash.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I don't see any "patterns" here. Many Mii fighter costumes won't be playable. Many already are playable, however. If it was an "obvious and clear pattern", there wouldn't be as many exceptions as there are (namely, Meta Knight, Link, and all the other Mii costumes that are also playable characters).
None of those costumes became available as payable DLC. None of the actual DLC we got came in the form of Mii costumes at any point. The only connection between Mii costumes and DLC is that Mii costumes have, based on its history, proven to be something that confirms that the character won't make it in the game as a future playable character.

All we've gathered from Mii costumes is that it's their way of getting a character in the game of they cannot or will not make that character playable through DLC. The whole idea between Mii costumes is to "feel" like you're playing as that character.

You should invest your energy in hoping that the pattern changes rather than investing energy in trying to tell me what's obvious and clear isn't so.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
None of those costumes became available as payable DLC. None of the actual DLC we got came in the form of Mii costumes at any point. The only connection between Mii costumes and DLC is that Mii costumes have, based on its history, proven to be something that confirms that the character won't make it in the game as a future playable character.

All we've gathered from Mii costumes is that it's their way of getting a character in the game of they cannot or will not make that character playable through DLC. The whole idea between Mii costumes is to "feel" like you're playing as that character.

You should invest your energy in hoping that the pattern changes rather than investing energy in trying to tell me what's obvious and clear isn't so.
We've only had four DLC fighters. It's far too early to try to make out any "patterns". I've said it before, and I'll say it again, because you don't seem to be responding. I don't understand the need to segregate between DLC fighters and on-disc fighters here. Why are DLC fighters so different from on-disc fighters? The only way I'd say they're different is in that the ballot fighters aren't even known by Nintendo themselves yet, which would only improve the chances of characters like K. Rool and the Inklings. If they don't know who will win the ballot (and thus who will become DLC later on), why would they make a costume to say that they won't be in? They don't know, and neither do we.

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
"The entitlement of Nintendo fans is still very real.

Can't ever be happy about anything they ever add to Smash or anything ever given. Whenever that gap between their whiny, selfish "gimmie gimmie gimmmie" expectations and the reality of those expectations not matching up with their narrow-minded, entitled feeling of being owed everything, instead of ever appreciating it, that gap cannot ever be gotten over by building any kind of bridge to get over the river they cry without some kind of whiny justification of "IT WASN'T WHAT IIII WANT.", like every 8-year old throwing a tantrum on Christmas morning with all these other presents around them.

It continues to be gross and sickening. Every single bit of content that happens to not fullfill the selfish pandering of each and every person has to be viewed as "a slap in the face" or held up as some kind of disgusting crybaby bullcrap about how "Nintendo doesn't love me", and "They're trying to hurt us.", without any sense of self-examination or concept of the irony of how this sounds.

Gamers always tend to not ever be able to build a bridge to get over the river of their own tears and just jump in on purpose to drown in it, seeing themselves as some kind of martyr of first-world problems, but with Nintendo fans, it seems to be always about three times worse, every time.

Everything has to be a slap in the face to you. Everything has to be some kind of paranoid plot against you and your hopes and dreams. Everything has to be seen by you as some kind of personal attack against you by Sakurai or some other name that you hold up as an effigy to burn or publicly insult just becuase what you want specifically isn't handed to you on a golden platter, no matter whatever else you're given. It's never enough. Nintendo fans are not only just some of the biggest spoiled brats in all of eternity, but the most self-rightous about it, too.

OH NO SAKURAI EXPLAINS A LEGITIMATE REASON WHY RIDLEY WAS NOT IN SMASH. NINTENDO ARE BAD AND SAKURAI IS TRYING TO HURT ME, THEY ARE SLAPPING ME IN THE FACE I MUST CRY NOW WHILE I ENJOY EVERYTHING ELSE I WAS GIVEN AND IGNORE ALL OF IT.

WHY DIDN'T I GET THIS? WHY WASN'T THIS GIVEN TO ME? WHY IS THIS NOT IN? I WANTED IT SO I INSTANTLY DESERVE IT, NEED IT, AND IT SHOULD HAPPEN.

THIS IS NOT THE METROID GAME I LIKE. SO I MUST MAKE A PETITION TO CANCEL A GAME BECAUSE I CANNOT ABIDE BY ITS EXISTENCE, RATHER THAN JUST LET IT BE DEVELOPED FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO WOULD BUY IT THAT ISN'T ME. THESE DEVELOPERS SHOULD NOT HAVE A JOB BECAUSE I DID NOT GET THE CANDY CANE I WANTED TODAY. NOTICE ME, NINTENDO-SEMPAI. I AM THROWING A HORRIBLE, ENTITLED LITTLE FIT FOR YOUR ATTENTION SO YOU WILL GIVE ME EVERYTHING I WANTED, AND SCREW EVERYONE ELSE.

OH MY GOD HOW DARE THEY PUT KING K. ROOL IN AS A MII FIGHTER, CLEARLY SAKURAI DID THIS JUST TO HURT MY FEELINGS. THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE BECAUSE EVERYTHING SHOULD BE PRECISELY MY WAY ALL THE TIME. I WILL NOW THROW A SNOTTY LITTLE FIT AND LIST OFF EVERY CHARACTER I DON'T LIKE TO CRY ABOUT THE ONE THING I'M NOT GETTING.

And so on and so on and so on.

And these people still throw all these screaming, whiny, flailing tantrums with no clue how brattish, horrible, and selfish they sound whether it's individually, or 40 times worse when entitled petitions demanding things you were never promised, guaranteed, pop up to snivel and cry and take everything as some kind of personal offense to your well-being.

I sincerely hope one day, some of you people who constantly act like this decide to grow up and acquire some level of self-reflection."

-night of Nintendo Life

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
"The entitlement of Nintendo fans is still very real.

Can't ever be happy about anything they ever add to Smash or anything ever given. Whenever that gap between their whiny, selfish "gimmie gimmie gimmmie" expectations and the reality of those expectations not matching up with their narrow-minded, entitled feeling of being owed everything, instead of ever appreciating it, that gap cannot ever be gotten over by building any kind of bridge to get over the river they cry without some kind of whiny justification of "IT WASN'T WHAT IIII WANT.", like every 8-year old throwing a tantrum on Christmas morning with all these other presents around them.

It continues to be gross and sickening. Every single bit of content that happens to not fullfill the selfish pandering of each and every person has to be viewed as "a slap in the face" or held up as some kind of disgusting crybaby bullcrap about how "Nintendo doesn't love me", and "They're trying to hurt us.", without any sense of self-examination or concept of the irony of how this sounds.

Gamers always tend to not ever be able to build a bridge to get over the river of their own tears and just jump in on purpose to drown in it, seeing themselves as some kind of martyr of first-world problems, but with Nintendo fans, it seems to be always about three times worse, every time.

Everything has to be a slap in the face to you. Everything has to be some kind of paranoid plot against you and your hopes and dreams. Everything has to be seen by you as some kind of personal attack against you by Sakurai or some other name that you hold up as an effigy to burn or publicly insult just becuase what you want specifically isn't handed to you on a golden platter, no matter whatever else you're given. It's never enough. Nintendo fans are not only just some of the biggest spoiled brats in all of eternity, but the most self-rightous about it, too.

OH NO SAKURAI EXPLAINS A LEGITIMATE REASON WHY RIDLEY WAS NOT IN SMASH. NINTENDO ARE BAD AND SAKURAI IS TRYING TO HURT ME, THEY ARE SLAPPING ME IN THE FACE I MUST CRY NOW WHILE I ENJOY EVERYTHING ELSE I WAS GIVEN AND IGNORE ALL OF IT.

WHY DIDN'T I GET THIS? WHY WASN'T THIS GIVEN TO ME? WHY IS THIS NOT IN? I WANTED IT SO I INSTANTLY DESERVE IT, NEED IT, AND IT SHOULD HAPPEN.

THIS IS NOT THE METROID GAME I LIKE. SO I MUST MAKE A PETITION TO CANCEL A GAME BECAUSE I CANNOT ABIDE BY ITS EXISTENCE, RATHER THAN JUST LET IT BE DEVELOPED FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO WOULD BUY IT THAT ISN'T ME. THESE DEVELOPERS SHOULD NOT HAVE A JOB BECAUSE I DID NOT GET THE CANDY CANE I WANTED TODAY. NOTICE ME, NINTENDO-SEMPAI. I AM THROWING A HORRIBLE, ENTITLED LITTLE FIT FOR YOUR ATTENTION SO YOU WILL GIVE ME EVERYTHING I WANTED, AND SCREW EVERYONE ELSE.

OH MY GOD HOW DARE THEY PUT KING K. ROOL IN AS A MII FIGHTER, CLEARLY SAKURAI DID THIS JUST TO HURT MY FEELINGS. THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE BECAUSE EVERYTHING SHOULD BE PRECISELY MY WAY ALL THE TIME. I WILL NOW THROW A SNOTTY LITTLE FIT AND LIST OFF EVERY CHARACTER I DON'T LIKE TO CRY ABOUT THE ONE THING I'M NOT GETTING.

And so on and so on and so on.

And these people still throw all these screaming, whiny, flailing tantrums with no clue how brattish, horrible, and selfish they sound whether it's individually, or 40 times worse when entitled petitions demanding things you were never promised, guaranteed, pop up to snivel and cry and take everything as some kind of personal offense to your well-being.

I sincerely hope one day, some of you people who constantly act like this decide to grow up and acquire some level of self-reflection."

-night of Nintendo Life
The hyperbole is real.
Good job making gross exaggerations and cherry picking from the whiniest of Nintendo fans (which are everywhere, not just with Nintendo). Now let me ask you this, if Nintendo goes out and makes a poll explicitly so fans can choose who get's to be a playable character as DLC, and then those results were ignored in favor of a Mii costume, would you not have the right to complain?
Or, you know, keep going back to pretending like your somehow better then everyone else.

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Well, this update will certainly be something. XD Although the King K. Rool-based Mii costume doesn't necessarily mean disconfirmation, some characters (Heihachi comes to mind, since he was considered for Super Smash Bros. 4 but ultimately found difficult to implement, at least movesset-wise) seem outright relegated to "Mii costume" status as the "next-best" thing... Here's hoping that the down-but-not-out King K. Rool makes an appearance in true playable form!

ROFL at the Chrom Mii costume.. :joyful: At least he kind of got his day in Super Smash Bros. to join the fight...?

I like how the nomenclature for Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle includes the "64" suffix (manifesting as "Hyrule Castle 64" and "Peach's Castle 64"), even though they may not need the suffix for disambiguation at the moment.. I hope more classic stages from Super Smash Bros. 64 (mainly Saffron City, Mushroom Kingdom 64, and (can't believe I'm saying this -.-) Yoshi's Island 64) return!

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
There are still a ton of Mewtwo fans who play the character, even though he's bad. The K. Rool fans will still play as their character, even if he is bad. Furthermore, you are completely ignoring the vast amount of players who do not care about competitive viability. Also, we have no idea how good a character could be in Smash Brothers so that's irrelevant.
That's funny. Their are a multitude of polls showing that Mewtwo is one of the least played characters in the game. I'm also not ignoring casuals. From my knowledge even casuals don't enjoy playing as heavy weights (Which is something K. Rool would be). And I'm simpl speculating that he'll be a bad character based on the results of other heavy weights.

Eureka

Smash Ace
That's funny. Their are a multitude of polls showing that Mewtwo is one of the least played characters in the game. I'm also not ignoring casuals. From my knowledge even casuals don't enjoy playing as heavy weights (Which is something K. Rool would be). And I'm simpl speculating that he'll be a bad character based on the results of other heavy weights.
Roy says hi.
Basing what characters should or should not get in off of unsubstantiated guesses of how good they may or may not be is just plain silly.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Roy says hi.
Basing what characters should or should not get in off of unsubstantiated guesses of how good they may or may not be is just plain silly.
What are you talking about? Plenty of people play as Roy, and he's consider to be competitively viable. I'm also not basing this how on much he'll be used in competitive play. I'm basing this off all he'll be used all around, and just the character in general.

Eureka

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? Plenty of people play as Roy, and he's consider to be competitively viable. I'm also not basing this how on much he'll be used in competitive play. I'm basing this off all he'll be used all around, and just the character in general.
The point is that we have absolutely zero idea on how in the world a character will play like until we have him in front of us. People make assumptions of what characters will be like and are almost always wrong (most notably with Roy). And people love playing as heavyweights, Bowser and Ganondorf are one of the most popular choices among casual players. Being able to lay in big hits is a lot of fun, especially for players who don't exactly land many hits. Speculating on how much a character will be played is completely fruitless. People said Roy wouldn't be well received, and look at him now, everybody loves him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom