• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 unresponsive controls

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Whoa... there seems to be a lot of issues here that are already known and aren't issues at all. Let me try to clarify some of them.

@ YELLO YELLO : Jabbing with the C-stick. As someone has mentioned before, inputting a diagonal on the C-stick (AFAIK when your stick is set to 'Attack') will result a jab or a neutral + A (this was intentional). You may also perform tilts this way as well. I forget what the stick does when you have it set to 'Smash', but I will say this, there is no 'Smash' action. Setting the stick to smash and flicking it right will result in an input of right + attack. So because of this, you may sometimes get a tilt out of your smash. If I can recall I think it's when you hold analog down and flick right, but it's been a while since I've done that. A long time ago you made a post about how much online lags for you, have you gotten that issue resolved? Perfect shielding is very feasible if you have a decent connection with your opponent.

@ nOPE™ nOPE™ : You are performing a jump cancel up-smash. A normal up smash is done by pressing up, starting your jumping animation, and pressing the attack button. Even with tap jump off, you are simulating this action. You are pressing jump, the input is checking if you are holding the up direction, and pressing attack. To the game that means up-smash. As a side note, this was intentional as this is one of the only ways to up-smash out of the shield with tap jump off. If you want to do an instant up air, you need to wait the appropriate amount of time before pressing attack, if you do it too quickly you will up-smash. Edit: Possibly, if you don't hold the stick all the way up you may not up-smash. I can't remember if that was a thing.

This game does buffer some inputs in certain situations, that is useful to know as well. Don't recall them off the top of my head.

Please remember everyone, with any game you play, it is best to do 'clean' inputs. If you want to press right, please practice pressing right and not right+slightly down. You can also play this game perfectly fine without moving the controller, just your fingers (believe me, I've seen people go nuts). It will help you in the long run. And I'd like to end with my personal experiences with unresponsiveness: I've never had that problem.

Last edited:

nOPE™

Smash Rookie
Thank you! This also probably goes back to my problem of simply inputting things too quickly, trying to adjust to the pace of the game and the buffering basically.

Alses

Smash Apprentice
lol you guys are hillarious, just admit smash 4 has issues and needs patching
Just here saying that I agree with you. (These issues occur on offline on any TV) The game prioritizes button inputs over analog which causes characters to sometimes not dash before you attack/grab despite flicking/holding the analog before pressing the buttons, fast fall is limited giving less control to players on their air game making juggling just too real which also helped Diddy Kong before his nerf, jabbing and smashing can randomly do the opposite (just go into training mode and keep spamming and it'll happen even if you use the c-stick to smash or jab depending on control choice), the game won't save the gamepad's settings and will set it to show the game every round even if you switch it to show stocks by tapping the screen (this one is just annoying), characters sometimes shield when using the grab button due to the game still considering grab to be attack+shield which is something that has remained from previous installments (why the hell hasn't this one been changed yet?), grabs end up being more powerful than smashes as kill moves on a lot of characters which is really anti-climatic, the various bugs of falling through stages especially on the 3DS version, teleporting up specials (Zelda, Palutena, Mewtwo) can end up going the opposite direction of input (and I realize that Mario's cape can do this but I'm talking about it happening when it shouldn't and that is the bug), the flick based analog control system sometimes causes characters to only walk despite holding the analog to it's maximum angle, the death lightning that shows when a character gets hit with something that should kill either showing up when it shouldn't or not showing up at all despite it being a killing hit, the enormous graphic effects that can actually give the game frame lag (8-player smash or when you pause with an effect around and move the camera), the unintentional dash-grab is still in despite it giving certain characters or controller choices an advantage (for those who don't realize this if you press the attack button and immediately after hit the grab the game will think it screwed up on registering the grab, which once again is shield+attack, then cancel the dash into the grab while maintaining the momentum boost that dash attacks give with some characters have more or less of). Etc.

Just wanted to reply saying that yes, the game can feel unresponsive, although most of the time it is very responsive which is why when these things happen it's extra annoying, and it can be extremely annoying. But it isn't unplayable, unless you're fighting Lvl 9 CPUs and then the game screws you over by not registering your movement and pisses you off beyond any possible enjoyment in the battle. Just play with friends online, random online lags but with friends it is the best experience you can have as it is pretty much as good as local. If they patched out every broken/annoying thing about the game (those damn trophy repeats!!!) it'd be great, but until then we'll have to live with it. Also the gamepad's analogs suck for Smash as they're too high on the controller, even using a wiimote is better.

Sorry for bringing this topic back, just really wanted to rant. :substitute:

Top Bottom